ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten aims to have new media rights deal, worth up to $1 billion, in place around Memorial Day

I would love for us to be the big 330 game on cbs . Same window sec has now . The production cbs gives is outstanding . And great theme music
I've mentioned quite awhile ago I thought the B10 could split the tier 1 rights 3 ways but I was thinking more Fox, ESPN and either NBC or CBS (with CBS more likely). I thought keeping a toe in ESPN wasn't a bad thing and cutting them off completely has its risks but getting on 3 broadcast networks also has its benefits. So I guess we'll see but a 3 way split seems quite possible.

Like the new USFL.
I wasn't even thinking sports like that but I guess that's possible too. I was thinking more about scripted content etc.. Point being proven content will still get theirs IMO, it's the unproven unknown content that might get hurt.

So i saw in one of the articles that

"But in 2020, a new bar was set with the SEC’s gargantuan 10-year, $3 billion deal with Disney that will commence in 2024."

Assuming worst case $1 billion per year for the BIG or 10-year, $10 billion deal with FOX/Amazon/NBC(Whatever),

Is that apples to apples? Every other article that projects future earnings show the SEC still getting more money per school in 5-10 years....

But that seems like a 7 Billion difference

Here is one article

0030087-mkxo-1280X720.jpg

Is the thought process that ESPN will need to renegotiate completely because of Texas and Oklahoma?
Do these projections not believe that the BIG was going to get 1 Billion per year...?
I believe that the 10 year, 3 billion dollar contract you referenced was just for the SEC game of the week that has been on CBS at 3:30.

I assume there will also be a renegotiation of the rest of the SEC/ESPN deal because of the Texas/OU addition, but I have trouble seeing the SEC staying ahead of the B1G (who has companies bidding against each other on the open market).

I believe that the 10 year, 3 billion dollar contract you referenced was just for the SEC game of the week that has been on CBS at 3:30.

I assume there will also be a renegotiation of the rest of the SEC/ESPN deal because of the Texas/OU addition, but I have trouble seeing the SEC staying ahead of the B1G (who has companies bidding against each other on the open market).
Correct on the details of the SEC GOTW.

As to renegotiation because of Texas OU, I read at the time of their additions that there would be no additional money just that they would be brought up to full share on par with the other SEC schools immediately upon joining. Don’t know if any new info on that has come out since then. Regardless, they are obviously good long term additions and will add to the SEC’s value in the mid 2030s when contracts come up even if they don’t add money now.

Correct on the details of the SEC GOTW.

As to renegotiation because of Texas OU, I read at the time of their additions that there would be no additional money just that they would be brought up to full share on par with the other SEC schools immediately upon joining. Don’t know if any new info on that has come out since then. Regardless, they are obviously good long term additions and will add to the SEC’s value in the mid 2030s when contracts come up even if they don’t add money now.
Piggyback on that with regards to the B12.

Do you think we'd be the only Big Ten fan base that wonders if $1B is just as good as the $1.1 or $1.2 talked about? I think not. As soon as talks of $100M a team came up.. people were thinking $1.4B...

Of course, a realist would look at all the turmoil in the business world and politics and culture and wonder if a lesser deal (though great) is really the best to be had under these conditions.
Love the people that say projections were supposed to be well over $1 billion. Too funny. Some clowns in their mom's basement are such "experts"

Reactions: Knight Shift
I wouldn't expect the streamers to be anything more than a supplement to traditional broadcast tv. I'd be surprised if they got some exclusive broadcasts with only streaming like NFL Thursdays on Amazon.
Should amend this, read exclusivity of B10 Friday night games could be possible. The streamers want exclusive windows where there's less competition (not as much on Friday vs. Saturday) and it is likely to be mostly lower profile games so who knows. Unless the money is "really right" I'm still kind of doubtful...but younger generations do take their content differently so who knows how much they may want to get into streaming.

Should amend this, read exclusivity of B10 Friday night games could be possible. The streamers want exclusive windows where there's less competition (not as much on Friday vs. Saturday) and it is likely to be mostly lower profile games so who knows. Unless the money is "really right" I'm still kind of doubtful...but younger generations do take their content differently so who knows how much they may want to get into streaming.
This is an interesting topic. Could be the streaming services could maybe benefit from a perceived "need" by older folk who don't stream right now. Also, we know advertisers pay a premium for "appointment" television... live sports or live shows or weekly shows with a huge audience where the viewers feel the need to see it as soon as it is on so they can discuss it with others tomorrow.

Could be the streaming companies perceive value in such a purchase.

I wonder if that value has been proven by whoever it was that tried this already.. so more are "streaming" to get in the game.

my problem with the original deal was that, while Rutgers payouts were FIXED.. the Big Ten shares were not. That is, Rutgers buy-in payouts were based on certain expectations and the Big Ten, which Rutgers was now a part of, EXCEEDED those expectations and Rutgers did not enjoy an increased share like the other programs did.

That could have been established from the start.. Rutgers could have had a percentage reduction rather than a fixed payout each season. In any case, we could not say no to any deal that got us in. It's just a shame that the Big Ten could not step up and reward their new partners (Rutgers and Maryland) with a taste of the newly increased payouts. Fair is fair. We helped earn it.
We probably were not in a very good negotiation position to get anything beyond the fixed figure

In the realignment game, we hit the jackpot
We have paid our dues now, forget about it

Story on F1 media rights. I'm one of those people who went from no interest or knowledge of F1 to at least somewhat slight interest and knowledge in F1 because of Netflix's Drive to Survive. From the 5M/yr ESPN is paying now expectations are going up to 70M/yr and possibly as much as 100M/yr. Can't expect that kind of multiple for the B10 but point is money shows up for programming broadcasters know/think has an audience.

From the article:

The sport is entertaining offers from different broadcasters like NBC Universal, ESPN, Amazon, and even Netflix. The streaming platform is very keen to acquire the broadcasting rights for the sport so that they can stream the race live on their platform

As reported by Sportscasting.com, ESPN currently pays around $5 million annually to broadcast F1. But they are ready to up their offer and are willing to pay $70 million annually after the 2022 season to retain their rights to the sport. However, Liberty Media, owner of F1, is projecting offers in the range of $100 million.

Story on F1 media rights. I'm one of those people who went from no interest or knowledge of F1 to at least somewhat slight interest and knowledge in F1 because of Netflix's Drive to Survive. From the 5M/yr ESPN is paying now expectations are going up to 70M/yr and possibly as much as 100M/yr. Can't expect that kind of multiple for the B10 but point is money shows up for programming broadcasters know/think has an audience.

From the article:

The sport is entertaining offers from different broadcasters like NBC Universal, ESPN, Amazon, and even Netflix. The streaming platform is very keen to acquire the broadcasting rights for the sport so that they can stream the race live on their platform

As reported by Sportscasting.com, ESPN currently pays around $5 million annually to broadcast F1. But they are ready to up their offer and are willing to pay $70 million annually after the 2022 season to retain their rights to the sport. However, Liberty Media, owner of F1, is projecting offers in the range of $100 million.

That’s a HUGE jump from $5M to $70M. Wow.

That’s a HUGE jump from $5M to $70M. Wow.
Yea it is. You can't expect anything close to that multiple for the B10 but point is money is there if you can deliver an audience and F1 isn't a huge audience compared to CFB but it is growing.

Like I said above, don't think you'll see as much money being paid for the "throw stuff on the wall and see if it sticks stuff" but I think you will still see more being paid for less with regards to premium content that can deliver an audience. That's how the NFL, SEC, B10 etc..still can make tons of money chopping up their content into smaller pieces. Those small pieces still attract a premium value.

Another article on it.

The racing league’s current deal with ESPN expires at the end of 2022. It was extended in 2019 to the tune of $5 million per year. Sports Business Journal reported the league, which is owned by Liberty Media, is seeking as much as $75 million a year for its next TV rights deal.

Formula 1 set a new viewership record last season when it averaged 934,000 viewers per race on ESPN channels and the ABC network — up 54% compared with F1′s 2020 races. F1′s 2021 viewership included an average 1.2 million viewers for the U.S. Grand Prix in Austin.

The growth shows no signs of slowing. ESPN said the season-opener Bahrain Grand Prix in March averaged 1.3 million viewers in the U.S. and peaked at 1.5 million viewers in the race’s final minutes.

The sport’s recent surge in the U.S. is in large part powered by the Netflix docuseries “Drive to Survive.” Season 4 of the show, released in March, attracted its largest audience to date and broke into the weekly Top 10 in 56 countries, according to Formula 1 and Netflix. The parties announced Thursday the series has been confirmed for a fifth and sixth season.

In 2023, F1 will host three U.S. races, with the addition of a race in Las Vegas in November and the U.S. Grand Prix in Austin in October. The first Miami Grand Prix runs this weekend.

We probably were not in a very good negotiation position to get anything beyond the fixed figure

In the realignment game, we hit the jackpot
We have paid our dues now, forget about it
True... but it wouldn't have hurt to ask... maybe we did.

On all the F1 deal talk... I wonder if F1's international appeal is behind the bidding war. I doubt very much US interest in F1 warrants such a bidding war. There must be something "international" to this.. maybe foreign advertisers for the US market? (blind guess there... assuming a lot)

Give me a break
LOL. Kevin Warren's bio:
His father was a professional football player and was President of the Fiesta Bowl. Kevin Warren has a business administration degree, an MBA from ASU and a JD from Notre Dame Law School. He played college basketball. He practiced sports law at a large firm, where he represented universities that were charged with NCAA violations. He worked closely with a former SEC commissioner. For 5-6 years, he had his own sports and entertainment agency. He worked in high level positions for the Rams and the Lions for seven years, then back at a large law firm representing the Vikings, eventually spending 14 years with the Vikings after representing the Vikings’ new ownership group in their purchase of the team. He served as the COO of the Vikings.

Love it when people who are not qualified to clean his toilet take potshots at him.

LOL. Kevin Warren's bio:
His father was a professional football player and was President of the Fiesta Bowl. Kevin Warren has a business administration degree, an MBA from ASU and a JD from Notre Dame Law School. He played college basketball. He practiced sports law at a large firm, where he represented universities that were charged with NCAA violations. He worked closely with a former SEC commissioner. For 5-6 years, he had his own sports and entertainment agency. He worked in high level positions for the Rams and the Lions for seven years, then back at a large law firm representing the Vikings, eventually spending 14 years with the Vikings after representing the Vikings’ new ownership group in their purchase of the team. He served as the COO of the Vikings.

Love it when people who are not qualified to clean his toilet take potshots at him.
He FUBARed the whole cancel-the-season-over-Covid bit and he had to backtrack with his tail between his legs when the SEC clowned him.

He is going to sign the richest conference deal. Who gives a rats ass about the SEC.
Not to argue but do we know this to be 100% true?

Because I am all over that…

0*LcnSbQHUdp5uA4Tc.png

…but just not as “more” as the B1G.😎

Reactions: nick614

0*LcnSbQHUdp5uA4Tc.png

Well if the stories are true yes but we are a week away past Memorial Day when this was supposed to happen so who the hell knows if this is real.

0*LcnSbQHUdp5uA4Tc.png

Hard to know for sure it could be 10M+ difference when all deals kick in for either the SEC or the B10 but both will be about 30-40M in front of everyone else whatever the final numbers are.

The B10 new deals will kick in around 2024 and the SEC GOTW that went to ESPN for 300M/yr will start in 2025. I don't know about any renegotiation (I've read there won't be any, don't know if that's changed since) on the rest of the deal with ESPN just because of Texas/OU except that they will be given a full share immediately upon joining. The rest of the deal expires in the mid 2030s and so will their SEC GOTW deal so everything will be all lined up to come to market for the SEC at that time.

This is an article with projections up to 2024 (SEC GOTW deal kicks in in 2025) from Jon Wilner who covers the PAC12 and from the perspective of them falling way behind.

He is going to sign the richest conference deal. Who gives a rats ass about the SEC.
... until the SEC signs their next deal. And the Big Ten isn't signing their deal because of Warren; he was gifted the conference as it currently is. The only thing that has happened since he's got here is that his direct competitor (SEC) has gotten significantly better (Texas, Oklahoma) and the Supreme Court has put at least half his conference in a position where they will be unwilling (and unable) to compete going forward (NIL).

... until the SEC signs their next deal. And the Big Ten isn't signing their deal because of Warren; he was gifted the conference as it currently is. The only thing that has happened since he's got here is that his direct competitor (SEC) has gotten significantly better (Texas, Oklahoma) and the Supreme Court has put at least half his conference in a position where they will be unwilling (and unable) to compete going forward (NIL).
WTF are your babbling about? Your two posts are completely inapposite. And stop moving the goal posts. Warren was supposed to single-handedly usurp the voting power of the B1G presidents and stage a coup of Texas and Oklahoma, two teams that do not geographically and culturally fit in the B1G? And Warren is now tasked with upstaging the "next" SEC deal. OK, sure.

We get it. You don't like Warren, and you are a Jim Delaney and SEC fanboy. Warren has been in charge for more than two years now. It's time to take Delaney's poster off your wall go root for the SEC if you don't like the B1G. Nothing Warren does will ever be good enough for you? What a way to go through life.

Your two posts are completely inapposite.
I disagree.

And stop moving the goal posts.
No goalposts have been moved. You said he was above criticism and I disagreed with you. Then I criticized him for the one major decision he has had since he took over.

Warren was supposed to single-handedly usurp the voting power of the B1G presidents and stage a coup of Texas and Oklahoma, two teams that do not geographically and culturally fit in the B1G? And Warren is now tasked with upstaging the "next" SEC deal. OK, sure.
Nope, there was nothing he could do about Texas and Oklahoma. What he should be doing is moving heaven and earth to steal the four California Pac12 teams before the SEC comes for Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. I have heard nothing reflected in the media that suggests that is what he is doing.
We get it. You don't like Warren,
I don't. He's a lightweight and an activist.

and you are a Jim Delaney and SEC fanboy.
I guess I am. I never really thought about it, but he was the best commissioner in sports (pro or college) over the last 25 years.

Nothing Warren does will ever be good enough for you? What a way to go through life.
Maybe he should actually do something first before we go patting him on the back?

I disagree.

No goalposts have been moved. You said he was above criticism and I disagreed with you. Then I criticized him for the one major decision he has had since he took over.

Nope, there was nothing he could do about Texas and Oklahoma. What he should be doing is moving heaven and earth to steal the four California Pac12 teams before the SEC comes for Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. I have heard nothing reflected in the media that suggests that is what he is doing.

I don't. He's a lightweight and an activist.

I guess I am. I never really thought about it, but he was the best commissioner in sports (pro or college) over the last 25 years.

Maybe he should actually do something first before we go patting him on the back?
Grabbing more teams doesn't equal more money per school. You hate Warren. We all get it. But stop with the stupid, illogical statements trying to back your hatred viewpoint.

Grabbing more teams doesn't equal more money per school. You hate Warren. We all get it. But stop with the stupid, illogical statements trying to back your hatred viewpoint.
At this point, the goal shouldn't be "more money per school." The goal should be creating a viable alternative to SEC SUPER CONFERENCE USA. Because if there is no viable alternative to SEC SUPER CONFERENCE USA, the Big Ten will have schools leave to join SEC SUPER CONFERENCE USA and I assure you there will be less money per school. And yes, Warren is unimpressive.

The Big Ten and Fox Sports have meetings set up all this week with at least six media and tech companies looking to pick up the college conference’s rights, sources tell me. Fox already has a deal in place to remain the conference’s biggest media partner, though the size of that package still hasn’t been determined as the conference figures out who its other media partners will be.

Currently, Amazon, CBS, ESPN and NBC are jockeying for the rest of the package, which could be sold to one, two or three other bidders. Execs from Warner Bros. Discovery and Apple will meet with the conference this week, too. But several sources say that talks with these two companies have not progressed, and they are considered dark horse candidates at best.

When all is said and done, the Big Ten is poised to become the first college conference to eclipse the $1 billion mark for media rights annually. Negotiations are expected to continue through this month; a final deal could come in late summer.

The point of this week’s meetings is to come up with the specific packages the networks want and the price they will pay. So far, CBS has been aggressive about getting a game for its late Saturday afternoon window, and NBC has shown interest in a Saturday night primetime window for Big Ten football. ESPN has made clear its desire to keep Big Ten games on its channels, too. The wild card is Amazon, which has made a strong push to bring the conference’s rights to Prime.

Fox Sports and the Big Ten are co-managing the rights. BTN, which is majority owned by Fox, controls the conference’s media rights and has been negotiating with media companies looking to pick them up.

The Big Ten and Fox Sports have meetings set up all this week with at least six media and tech companies looking to pick up the college conference’s rights, sources tell me. Fox already has a deal in place to remain the conference’s biggest media partner, though the size of that package still hasn’t been determined as the conference figures out who its other media partners will be.

Currently, Amazon, CBS, ESPN and NBC are jockeying for the rest of the package, which could be sold to one, two or three other bidders. Execs from Warner Bros. Discovery and Apple will meet with the conference this week, too. But several sources say that talks with these two companies have not progressed, and they are considered dark horse candidates at best.

When all is said and done, the Big Ten is poised to become the first college conference to eclipse the $1 billion mark for media rights annually. Negotiations are expected to continue through this month; a final deal could come in late summer.

The point of this week’s meetings is to come up with the specific packages the networks want and the price they will pay. So far, CBS has been aggressive about getting a game for its late Saturday afternoon window, and NBC has shown interest in a Saturday night primetime window for Big Ten football. ESPN has made clear its desire to keep Big Ten games on its channels, too. The wild card is Amazon, which has made a strong push to bring the conference’s rights to Prime.

Fox Sports and the Big Ten are co-managing the rights. BTN, which is majority owned by Fox, controls the conference’s media rights and has been negotiating with media companies looking to pick them up.

"Fox Sports and the Big Ten are co-managing the rights. BTN, which is majority owned by Fox, controls the conference’s media rights and has been negotiating with media companies looking to pick them up."

So it seems Fox is in the driver's seat and the Big Ten is along for the ride, providing directions/input?

"Fox Sports and the Big Ten are co-managing the rights. BTN, which is majority owned by Fox, controls the conference’s media rights and has been negotiating with media companies looking to pick them up."

So it seems Fox is in the driver's seat and the Big Ten is along for the ride, providing directions/input?
Fox upped their stake in the BTN (in which they already controlled a slight majority) to around 60% IIRC. I think it was negotiated in the last deal that the BTN would control the B10 rights for some undetermined about of time. Warren and the conference still has final say in who gets what though. Fox helps to advise though. Here's an article on it.

From the article:

Acurious situation has been afoot during Big Ten media rights negotiations this year that has caused a lot of head scratching by TV network and digital executives.

Two senior Fox Sports executives — Mark Silverman and Larry Jones — are taking active roles during the conference’s media rights negotiations.

That means Silverman, Fox Sports president and COO, and Jones, Fox Sports executive vice president of business, have been in the room and listening intently as executives from rival companies — Amazon, Apple, CBS, ESPN, NBC and Turner — make their pitches for the conference’s rights packages.

Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren leads these meetings, of course. He has run the conference for three years and has final say on which company ends up with the rights. Kerry Kenny, the conference’s senior vice president of television, media, analytics and emerging platforms, also plays a big role during each of these meetings.

Executives say they’ve never encountered this type of situation before where they have had to make their pitch not only in front of a competitive network, but actually to its executives.

It’s all on the up-and-up, even if the situation is unusual. Sources say Fox Sports already has a deal in place to renew its Big Ten pact, so it’s not as though Silverman and Jones are gaining trade secrets as a way to enhance their own bid.

The presence of Silverman and Jones in these negotiations is part of a deal Fox Sports cut with the Big Ten when the previous rights agreements were signed in 2017.

The earlier deal gave Big Ten Network control of the media rights to the Big Ten conference for an undetermined period of time. Silverman, who ran Big Ten Network back in 2017, was part of the negotiations with ESPN as a BTN rep back then.

This year, Silverman and Jones are taking part in these talks as designated representatives of BTN, the channel in which Fox Sports is a majority owner and the entity that controls the Big Ten rights.

Essentially, the two Fox Sports executives are acting as both designated BTN representatives and media consultants, which is one reason why the Big Ten did not hire a media consultant to help it through these negotiations.

This above makes me go…

inglorious-basterds-call-me.gif

Fox upped their stake in the BTN (in which they already controlled a slight majority) to around 60% IIRC. I think it was negotiated in the last deal that the BTN would control the B10 rights for some undetermined about of time. Warren and the conference still has final say in who gets what though. Fox helps to advise though. Here's an article on it.

From the article:

Acurious situation has been afoot during Big Ten media rights negotiations this year that has caused a lot of head scratching by TV network and digital executives.

Two senior Fox Sports executives — Mark Silverman and Larry Jones — are taking active roles during the conference’s media rights negotiations.

That means Silverman, Fox Sports president and COO, and Jones, Fox Sports executive vice president of business, have been in the room and listening intently as executives from rival companies — Amazon, Apple, CBS, ESPN, NBC and Turner — make their pitches for the conference’s rights packages.

Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren leads these meetings, of course. He has run the conference for three years and has final say on which company ends up with the rights. Kerry Kenny, the conference’s senior vice president of television, media, analytics and emerging platforms, also plays a big role during each of these meetings.

Executives say they’ve never encountered this type of situation before where they have had to make their pitch not only in front of a competitive network, but actually to its executives.

It’s all on the up-and-up, even if the situation is unusual. Sources say Fox Sports already has a deal in place to renew its Big Ten pact, so it’s not as though Silverman and Jones are gaining trade secrets as a way to enhance their own bid.

The presence of Silverman and Jones in these negotiations is part of a deal Fox Sports cut with the Big Ten when the previous rights agreements were signed in 2017.

The earlier deal gave Big Ten Network control of the media rights to the Big Ten conference for an undetermined period of time. Silverman, who ran Big Ten Network back in 2017, was part of the negotiations with ESPN as a BTN rep back then.

This year, Silverman and Jones are taking part in these talks as designated representatives of BTN, the channel in which Fox Sports is a majority owner and the entity that controls the Big Ten rights.

Essentially, the two Fox Sports executives are acting as both designated BTN representatives and media consultants, which is one reason why the Big Ten did not hire a media consultant to help it through these negotiations.

But this one has me…

9953d3518c48a3bf6a41bc9e715eebea_w200.gif

True... but it wouldn't have hurt to ask... maybe we did.

On all the F1 deal talk... I wonder if F1's international appeal is behind the bidding war. I doubt very much US interest in F1 warrants such a bidding war. There must be something "international" to this.. maybe foreign advertisers for the US market? (blind guess there... assuming a lot)
Well there has always been international interest in F1 so that's status quo. The change is the growing US interest because of that Netflix series. Time difference will always create some issues (Sunday morning races etc..) but it still has a growing audience. I've seen even a couple make it to ABC IIRC. It's never going to be top sport here but it's room to grow.

Anyways I brought it up only to say if you can deliver an audience you still will get paid...for those worrying about how much money is out there.

Sounds like a dumb move by Delaney. There. I said it.
Well Silverman did come from the BTN before he moved to Fox, so there must be some relationship there. It does seem strange but it's not as if the conference doesn't have final say on what deals are done. ESPN owned all the SEC except one game and owns the SEC Network and it didn't stop them from bidding a whopping 300M/yr for the SEC GOTW.

Fox is a similar partner for the B10 but they will still need to pay up in the same way and I don't think it should hinder how much Fox's competitors will pay either. Unusual set up but don't think it should affect how much money/interest the conference can attract.

Reactions: Leonard23
Another article from SBJ.

As media companies deal with a cord-cutting trend that continues to hurt revenue — on top of the threat posed by deep-pocketed digital companies — sports television is closing out the first half of 2022 in one of the strongest positions it’s ever seen.

That’s because TV sports ad sales are flourishing. Viewership for sports events is up almost across the board. And media companies are using live sports programming as their last stand to keep the cable bundle intact.

“There was a moment in time that we thought viewership would go up during the pandemic because with fewer people in the stadium — the math is that more people would be watching on their couches,” said Pitaro, Disney’s chairman of ESPN and sports content.

It's hurry up and wait on Big Ten rights deal​

Interest in the Big Ten’s media package remains so high — and negotiations remain so intense — that sources say it’s unlikely a deal will be finalized before the end of June.

Another reason networks are seeing such gaudy viewership numbers is due to a meaningful change in how Nielsen counts the number of viewers. This year, the company is including out-of-home viewing in its overall viewership number. Sources said the addition of out-of-home viewing increases viewership numbers by a high single digit percentage overall. The increase is even higher among younger demos — hitting double digits, sources said.

That state of the TV programming market also helps sports, especially as the top entertainment shows migrate to streaming services.

That has resulted in an ad sales marketplace around TV sports that is the strongest one executives have seen, both in terms of the price networks are commanding and the speed at which inventory is selling.

I don't think B10 schools are going to the SEC. They don't view things in the same fashion IMO. If and it's a big if anything ever happened it would be subsets of top tier names from all the conferences breaking off somewhere down the line and making a conference but I'm still not sure that would happen either. BTW if that happened, they all can't be winners and would top tier brands want to be bottom feeders? I think a lining up and merger of rights between the SEC/B10 and chopping them up would be a better move..

I have mentioned in the past when the OU/Texas stuff happened that I think, as cuckoo as some may think it is, a move out west for a swath of teams (similar to Larry Scotts' PAC12/B12 play) to create a national conference would be good idea to create super premium sports property. USC would be the key to that though. What they think who knows. It probably depends on what the numbers are and what the PAC12's new deal will be in comparison to the SEC/B10's deals and if the networks want it. The richest AD in the country (Texas) left behind a conference it was the head of because of how much it was going to fall behind so what must USC and the like be wondering? Also when you hear all this talk about splitting the tier 1 among the 3 broadcast networks with windows at noon, afternoon, evening you wonder how much simpler/easier that would be to fill that inventory with additional teams from the west in the conference.

That’s not where I was going with that.

Just found it odd how it is being run now. I would expect: new guy, new rules/changes.
I was just being provocative with the Delaney fanboys (and Warren bashers). So the new guy is in charge, but stuck to the format that was put in place by the former guy. Seems the B1G commissioner has little power or leeway on the deal. I'm guessing either all the B1G members (or at least a select committee) will have to approve too? Maybe @rutgersguy1 knows that too.

I was just being provocative with the Delaney fanboys (and Warren bashers). So the new guy is in charge, but stuck to the format that was put in place by the former guy. Seems the B1G commissioner has little power or leeway on the deal. I'm guessing either all the B1G members (or at least a select committee) will have to approve too? Maybe @rutgersguy1 knows that too.
I don't know the finer details. Fox has the rights for I think half the package but even the details of that aren't hammered out yet according to reports....just how many games and the money probably still to be determined. I'm sure it will be based off what the other networks bid etc.. How the other half is split, we'll see. Again like I mentioned above, it could be another a situation of paying more for less with regards to the networks. I hope they split it 3 ways like I mentioned above and in the past and it seems like a possibility now. I'd stick with Fox, ESPN and peel off a game a week for CBS. Instead of the 300M/yr ESPN paid for the SEC GOTW maybe 100-200M for a B10 game but not particularly a top end one..maybe something on Friday nights for AMZN if they come in with a whopping number...something along those lines.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT