ADVERTISEMENT

Camden - Manasquan

Very bad comparison. The ringworm thing is not even close to this.
That is communicable and could have Infected other kids. It would have been breaking a rule . So yeah , I don’t think the coach or program should be commended for not cheating. Plus, the kids on your wrestling team still had the opportunity to win the match legitimately.
The Camden players or coaches did nothing wrong here .
Bad analogy !
It wasn't my analogy, and I don't think RC intended it to be an analogy. He was describing a general act of sportsmanship.

My story is somewhat more analogous, but I didn't intend it as one. I was merely shooting the S with a fellow wrestling lifer before moving on to the basketball issue...

How so? The by-laws are very clear that once the referees leave the court, the game is final and no appeals or changes can be made to officiating decisions. Both schools (and every team in the state) agrees to play by those rules. How would it be "very simple" to change them after the fact? Unless Camden is volunteering to give back the win, then this seems pretty complex to me.
it does not matter, its common sense and the original call was good. Very simple.

It wasn't my analogy, and I don't think RC intended it to be an analogy. He was describing a general act of sportsmanship.

My story is somewhat more analogous, but I didn't intend it as one. I was merely shooting the S with a fellow wrestling lifer before moving on to the basketball issue...
I know it wasn’t your analogy. But not cheating is an act of sportsmanship ?

I know it wasn’t your analogy. But not cheating is an act of sportsmanship ?
Your point is valid. It does sound absurd to say that "not cheating" = "good sportsmanship."

But the fact remains that he could have gotten away with it and won the championship. But he chose to do the right thing, to show his wrestlers that it's the correct decision despite the cost, and was an unpopular man for it. [Editing to add that his wrestler likely contracted ringworm because another coach a few matches earlier did not practice that level of sportsmanship.]

It's subjective, I guess, but to me, yes, that's an example of good sportsmanship...

Last edited:
Reactions: Loyal-Son
Unfortunately in this case, rules are rules. I wouldn't expect or think Camden should bow out and take the L any more than OSU should have given us the win last year on the blown call.

c’est la vie

I think the Manasquan coach has a pretty good reputation in the Shore Conference. They lost their best player (Darius Adams) before the season started and yet continue to field a highly competitive team. Taking the air out of the ball when he did may not have been the best strategy but it does appear they got a raw deal at the end.
They also lost their senior PG to injury

That is communicable and could have Infected other kids. It would have been breaking a rule . So yeah , I don’t think the coach or program should be commended for not cheating. Plus, the kids on the wrestling team still had the opportunity to win the match legitimately.
Bad analogy !
You missed the thought process entirely. What I am saying is the Coaches should step up and do the right thing. They know the shot beat the clock. We could have not done the right thing and no one would have been the wiser. But having principles matter.

You missed the thought process entirely. What I am saying is the Coaches should step up and do the right thing. They know the shot beat the clock. We could have not done the right thing and no one would have been the wiser. But having principles matter.
I didn’t miss the thought process . You are taking bows for that wrestling coach not cheating. I don’t find not cheating or choosing to not infect someone with ringworm as being commendable .
Camden did nothing wrong here. So it’s a bad analogy.
Yes, it would be nice if Camden players took a vote and the result was “we didn’t win the game”.

That is communicable and could have Infected other kids. It would have been breaking a rule . So yeah , I don’t think the coach or program should be commended for not cheating. Plus, the kids on the wrestling team still had the opportunity to win the match legitimately.
Bad analogy !
Yes they did do something wrong here. They aren't letting the true winner of the game get the title .

Suppose you lost your wallet with a $1000 in a parking lot and the honest person turns it in vs the dishonest person who takes the money and dumps your wallet in the garbage. Who did the right thing?

BTW I found a wallet in a parking lot this week and made sure it go back to the owner. I never even looked if there was money in it.

Yes they did do something wrong here. They aren't letting the true winner of the game get the title .

Suppose you lost your wallet with a $1000 in a parking lot and the honest person turns it in vs the dishonest person who takes the money and dumps your wallet in the garbage. Who did the right thing?

BTW I found a wallet in a parking lot this week and made sure it go back to the owner. I never even looked if there was money in it.
I don't think a team has any standing to reverse an official's decision, whether it was in their favor or not.

Ha ha, I think we need Plum Street to weigh in with his analogy rating...

Rule#1 in sports never leave the game in the refs hands that's exactly what Manasquan did. Was it a horrible call absolutely no doubt. But when your up 10 in full control in the 4th quarter and u try to bleed the clock for 8 mins and don't score in the 4th quarter I have a tough time feeling sorry for u. That coach let the kids down bigtime Camden was done. There best player was playing with the Flu he clearly was fatigued and not his normal self. It's not like Camden came back on a big run. Manasquan let there foot off the gas and basically gave them the game.

Celts blew a 23 point 4th qtr lead-------did their coach let his team down ?

Everybody knows what that was about but they just don't want to post it.

Celts blew a 23 point 4th qtr lead-------did their coach let his team down ?

Everybody knows what that was about but they just don't want to post it.
Your comparing NBA to highschool lol but good try. But I will play along Your up that much you shouldn't can only blame yourself/team.

Didn't want to even comment on this topic because I know the place all of the outrage is coming from. Twitter has people so gassed up on conspiracy theories that the illuminati is now controlling new Jersey highschool basketball games. Lol

Reactions: Loyal-Son
business decision for sure, everybody knows that , my man knew his car was on the far side of the lot

it's just not possible to be that certain of a blatantly wrong decision on what you saw, where you tell the other ref what he saw was wrong and you are right. the issue is not even three refs all saying they weren't sure - you had one guy who was positive what he saw, who very emphatically called it good.

the other low character individual certainly made a business decision.

business decision for sure, everybody knows that , my man knew his car was on the far side of the lot

it's just not possible to be that certain of a blatantly wrong decision on what you saw, where you tell the other ref what he saw was wrong and you are right. the issue is not even three refs all saying they weren't sure - you had one guy who was positive what he saw, who very emphatically called it good.

the other low character individual certainly made a business decision.
Good God...they got a call wrong. They don't have the benefit of replay. They don't even have the benefit of seeing the clock (at least 2 of the 3 didn't), or red lights on the backboard. Sometimes humans miss calls. It's complete BS to call out their integrity of make up reasons like they must be afraid of the fans of one team. I'm sure that outside of the losing team, no one is more sick about last night than those 3 officials.

And what's the mean that it's "not possible to be that certain of a blatantly wrong decision"? There are people on message boards every day that are certain that wrong decisions were correct even with the benefit of replaying it over and over again. Humans make errors sometimes...they blew the call. Nothing more to it than that.

No way man. Guy with best view of clock and play called it live and based on his physical call, was certain of it. Lead guy either saw an imaginary play of his own at that moment, or made a business decision.
We are not talking about judgement call, i.e foul or no foul.

How so? The by-laws are very clear that once the referees leave the court, the game is final and no appeals or changes can be made to officiating decisions. Both schools (and every team in the state) agrees to play by those rules. How would it be "very simple" to change them after the fact? Unless Camden is volunteering to give back the win, then this seems pretty complex to me.
Except one official called it good on the floor. The second official then states he thinks it was still in his hand. That doesn’t change the first official ‘s decision as the call on the floor. The third official either has no comment or did not see the click and play at the same time. Therefore , legally the overturn of the call on the floor was improper as 2 officials saw 2 different things and the call on the floor should stand. That was the way to resolve it which would be within the bylaws because the officials final decision was improper. I have not heard anywhere that the first official changed his mind.

Reactions: motorb54
No way man. Guy with best view of clock and play called it live and based on his physical call, was certain of it. Lead guy either saw an imaginary play of his own at that moment, or made a business decision.
We are not talking about judgement call, i.e foul or no foul.
The guy that called it (opposite side of table) had no view of the clock...but he got the call right. And of course it's a judgement call...before buzzer or after buzzer. It's a bad call as shot was off at about .5 or .6...but not like is was several seconds early and not humanly possible to miss it.

And what the "F" is a "business decision"? Like he's afraid of Camden's black fans getting mad at him, but no concerns over the white fans on the other side? Or assuming that everyone from Camden is a thug and will come after him after the already made the initial call without issue, but he's safe with the other fans?

I know for myself, I umpire plenty of baseball involving Camden schools...never once have I made a "business decision". I call what I see and don't think anything of it. Guys aren't getting to the level of doing state semis because they are scared about one side getting mad at their call.

Reactions: RUsojo
Except one official called it good on the floor. The second official then states he thinks it was still in his hand. That doesn’t change the first official ‘s decision as the call on the floor. The third official either has no comment or did not see the click and play at the same time. Therefore , legally the overturn of the call on the floor was improper as 2 officials saw 2 different things and the call on the floor should stand. That was the way to resolve it which would be within the bylaws because the officials final decision was improper. I have not heard anywhere that the first official changed his mind.
Of course the first official changed his mind...they huddled up and he changed the call. It's not Official A has this call but Official B doesn't...they got together and decided to change the initial call, and thus the final score.

The guy that called it (opposite side of table) had no view of the clock...but he got the call right. And of course it's a judgement call...before buzzer or after buzzer. It's a bad call as shot was off at about .5 or .6...but not like is was several seconds early and not humanly possible to miss it.

And what the "F" is a "business decision"? Like he's afraid of Camden's black fans getting mad at him, but no concerns over the white fans on the other side? Or assuming that everyone from Camden is a thug and will come after him after the already made the initial call without issue, but he's safe with the other fans?

I know for myself, I umpire plenty of baseball involving Camden schools...never once have I made a "business decision". I call what I see and don't think anything of it. Guys aren't getting to the level of doing state semis because they are scared about one side getting mad at their call.
lol they don't wanna leave it at the refs missed the call. People always want to take it a step farther. It's the fake outrage how dare the refs miss a call. They had to be scared of the camden fans smh lol. Once again missed call life goes on its highschool basketball.

No way man. Guy with best view of clock and play called it live and based on his physical call, was certain of it.
And FYI that you're taught to sell the call there whether you're certain of it or not...worst thing you could do is be unsure and not really call anything. His mistake was taking the help and overturning the call (though maybe he was unsure and welcomed the help in that spot).

lol they don't wanna leave it at the refs missed the call. People always want to take it a step farther. It's the fake outrage how dare the refs miss a call. They had to be scared of the camden fans smh lol. Once again missed call life goes on its highschool basketball.
Yeah, especially on a message boards, always rife with rumors, platitudes, and amateur psychology. It's more fun that way, ha ha...

Erial_Lion - Official who made the call had had no view of the clock??
How is that possible, look where he is standing.

I suppose your arguement is that wall jutting out blocked clock from him? Don't see how possible, look at angle below, the clock is not right up against that wall, which is the only way the angle would block his view of it.

Reactions: RUinOhio
Erial_Lion - Official who made the call had had no view of the clock??
How is that possible, look where he is standing.

I suppose your arguement is that wall jutting out blocked clock from him? Don't see how possible, look at angle below, the clock is not right up against that wall, which is the only way the angle would block his view of it.

I'm saying that his line of sight isn't looking at the clock...in that first video in this thread, you see that he's looking right at the shooter/basket...and he's making the call from foul line extended. The clock appears to be at about an 80 degree angle to his right. No way that he's watching the clock too as the shooter is releasing the ball. The only one that could have had a view of both the shooter and the scoreboard was the official that ended up giving him help on the play (though obviously he didn't see what he thought he saw).

i don't know man, agree impossible to know with 1000% certainly what guy who made call could see. (although my opinion he was in position to see clock and play)

i think though you just proved my point though about the lead official making a business decision

Of course the first official changed his mind...they huddled up and he changed the call. It's not Official A has this call but Official B doesn't...they got together and decided to change the initial call, and thus the final score.
That is the issue. The first official made the call that it was good. It was the call on the floor. Without video review , the second official’s opinion was worthless. He had no greater power than the first official and if the explaination is I saw it as good but second ref saw it differently and I decided to go with the second ref’s opinion , that is bullshit and not a valid decision period. It was not based on anything and without review the call on the floor should have stood. The reversal was legally improper unless the first official changed his mind and said upon reflection it was late. But I do not think that happened. Where the third official was and what his position was , which we have no idea , leaves it as just 2 opinions and the call on the court should have stood.

i don't know man, agree impossible to know with 1000% certainly what guy who made call could see. (although my opinion he was in position to see clock and play)

i think though you just proved my point though about the lead official making a business decision
Based on the angles from what I saw, if he was looking at the clock, then he wouldn't have been looking at the play (the scoreboard might have been in his peripheral vision, but he's not watching the time if he's watching the shot from that angle).

Why is it a "business decision"? He thought he saw something and offered help (or maybe the referee asked for help). That same thing can happen in any game at any point of the season in any gym. Are we implying that since it involved Camden, that's the most realistic explanation for the refs missing a call? If the same call happened the other way, how do we explain it (or are you implying that for whatever reason, it couldn't have gone the other way)?

That is the issue. The first official made the call that it was good. It was the call on the floor. Without video review , the second official’s opinion was worthless. He had no greater power than the first official and if the explaination is I saw it as good but second ref saw it differently and I decided to go with the second ref’s opinion , that is bullshit and not a valid decision period. It was not based on anything and without review the call on the floor should have stood. The reversal was legally improper unless the first official changed his mind and said upon reflection it was late. But I do not think that happened. Where the third official was and what his position was , which we have no idea , leaves it as just 2 opinions and the call on the court should have stood.
You're overthinking this...at the end of the day, whatever the ref that had the call decides is the final call. It doesn't matter in the end how he called it at first...if he gets help and changes his call, that final call is all that matters. It's not a democracy, it's up to him to make a call. He made the right call initially, and for whatever reason, he changed his call. No different that if a back judge throws a flag for PI, huddles with the other refs to discuss, and picks up his flag. Refs/umpires/officials are often consulting with each other and asking for help (and their decisions are still "valid", "legally proper", or whatever other terms you want to use)...if things had gone differently and that help corrected his call, he would be praised. Really unfortunate that in this situation, he had it correct and came off of that correct call.

It was a pathetic and gutless call but why should anyone expect different in 2024. What would have been talked about had the opposite occurred with Manasquan winning on an obvious error or ref changing the call.

Camden did nothing wrong here… I would nonetheless like to hear them acknowledge that, if not a referee mistake and NJSIAA rules, Manasquan would have won the game. Nothing more they could do.

You're overthinking this...at the end of the day, whatever the ref that had the call decides is the final call. It doesn't matter in the end how he called it at first...if he gets help and changes his call, that final call is all that matters. It's not a democracy, it's up to him to make a call. He made the right call initially, and for whatever reason, he changed his call. No different that if a back judge throws a flag for PI, huddles with the other refs to discuss, and picks up his flag. Refs/umpires/officials are often consulting with each other and asking for help (and their decisions are still "valid", "legally proper", or whatever other terms you want to use)...if things had gone differently and that help corrected his call, he would be praised. Really unfortunate that in this situation, he had it correct and came off of that correct call.
The issue is that each ref has a role and responsibility. The “c” refs role in this scenario is on ball and clock. The base line ref is on ball and off ball key. The trail ref is off ball.
The C made the call and got it right. The ref who over ruled him “trail” did not have clock or on ball responsibility. If anyone could over rule it would be the baseline ref.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT