ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might be the best thing if you're a lollygagger at the gym, just before the virus hit I started the practice of leaving my phone in my car because too many times I'd find myself preoccupied by it and not my workout and I was having my best workouts as a result as I was doing my reps one after the other instead of finding myself down a rabbit hole on my phone.
So it's you..lol
giphy.gif

Reactions: Jm0513 and Ronnie_B
Yep, reserved gym times have to be the only way to manage it, and the Mon-Fri after-work crowd (incl. me) will have to be flexible. I don't know if it will be doable for my schedule....nobody better be dawdling and sitting on benches and machines playing with their damn phones! I'll give it a try, but have already started looking into serious at-home gym equipment. I've been using some old dumbbells but otherwise it's pretty much just pushups and sit-ups at home since the March shutdowns.

They should ban phones from gyms

Or people can lift at home! Or just drive half an hour to PA or NY.
PA is lot farther than half an hour for me.Bethlehem is about 72 miles away.Pearl River,NY is about 35 or so,but that one may not be re-opening.Still,this is tantamount to saying:"Why do people need indoor plumbing?Why can't they just go on the street as they do in San Fran?"

You / Twitter source left out context. When discussing the poor-performing mask referenced in the tweet, the paper says the elastic ear loops resulted in a poor fit that created visible gaps between the mask and the face; said this failure demonstrates the importance of a proper fitting mask.
Surgical masks really suck in terms of fit and comfort. I've found Korean k94 masks to be the best fitting and most comfortable. Their performance is only slightly below the n95.

How did you manage that? I started having neck and shoulder issues because I wasn't doing enough back and over developed chest and tris.
Mountain biking and swimming maybe helps? To be honest I've never heard of this before but will look into it because you don't mess around with the back.

One thing I do know is most times that I have had back issues from workouts (strained muscles, pinched nerves) was a resort of bad form, 10 years ago when kettle bells were the happening thing I used them as a big part of my workout, I still don't know what I did to my back but after a couple weeks I could only sleep in a sitting position on my couch. The swinging of them back and forth between your legs took a fast and hard toll, never touched a kettle bell again.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Surgical masks really suck in terms of fit and comfort. I've found Korean k94 masks to be the best fitting and most comfortable. Their performance is only slightly below the n95.

I bought a 10 pack of KN95 masks as I am eventually going to start travelling for work again. They were $3 each and definitely feel as though they are blocking out more stuff than a cloth one. But I found they smelled very unpleasant, moreso after a few short uses like shopping. Anyone found a brand that smells good?

Reactions: Greg2020
I bought a 10 pack of KN95 masks as I am eventually going to start travelling for work again. They were $3 each and definitely feel as though they are blocking out more stuff than a cloth one. But I found they smelled very unpleasant, moreso after a few short uses like shopping. Anyone found a brand that smells good?
Some Koreans vendors gave me a handfull including 3different brands. None smell. Also bought some off Amazon and they also are smell free. I'll post when I get a chance.

Be careful as there are a lot of KN95s out there that do not pass filtration standards. In fact, many of them work poorly. I use these guys as they are the sole US distributor of Guangzhou Powecom Labor Insurance Supplies Co., LTD KN95s which are FDA EU authorized for use as PPE.

Guangzhou Powecom Labor Insurance Supplies Co., Ltd.Powecom KN95 Protective MaskGB262698.2197.042020-174.1pdf icon
Guangzhou Powecom Labor Insurance Supplies Co., Ltd.Powecom KN95 Protective MaskGB262698.9198.602020-174.2pdf icon
Guangzhou Powecom Labor Insurance Supplies Co., Ltd.KN95GB262699.2898.962020-211.1pdf icon
Guangzhou Powecom Labor Insurance Supplies Co., Ltd.KN95GB262699.5698.182020-303.1pdf icon
Guangzhou Powecom Labor Insurance Supplies Co., Ltd.KN95 Protective MaskGB262699.6099.432020-315.1pdf icon
Guangzhou Powecom Labor Insurance Supplies Co., Ltd.KN95GB262698.9198.552020-317.1pdf icon

Interesting that you go to Investment banks for science and medical information. Do you go to doctors for information on how to invest your money, plumbers about how to play baseball, and baseball players when you have a flood?
If you are smart you do. They know what’s hot or not in their profession. What do you think all those Ivy analysts are doing all day? Of course they have intel.

The Legislature must have passed a Truth In Necrology law when I wasn't looking.Murphy is now giving time frames in which the deaths have occurred.We had only 6 deaths over the past 5 days.As any one of a number of old Jewish comedians may have said:"For this you shut down the state?"

• Wow
Reactions: thegock

What in the f*** is going on down under? They don't have that many cases and have better mask compliance than the US. There is nothing there to warrant this kind of response. The SDMA for cases is less than 300 for the ENTIRE COUNTRY and never went higher than 552! That's better than NJ, yet they are in the strictest lockdown in the entire world currently.

Reactions: RU#1fan

What in the f*** is going on down under? They don't have that many cases and have better mask compliance than the US. There is nothing there to warrant this kind of response. The SDMA for cases is less than 300 for the ENTIRE COUNTRY and never went higher than 552! That's better than NJ, yet they are in the strictest lockdown in the entire world currently.

They are scared , frightened and in a major panic!

Reactions: biker7766
The Legislature must have passed a Truth In Necrology law when I wasn't looking.Murphy is now giving time frames in which the deaths have occurred.We had only 6 deaths over the past 5 days.As any one of a number of old Jewish comedians may have said:"For this you shut down the state?"
6 announced today. The other day alone had 7 in one day, they just likely have not been processed yet by DOH

Be careful as there are a lot of KN95s out there that do not pass filtration standards. In fact, many of them work poorly. I use these guys as they are the sole US distributor of Guangzhou Powecom Labor Insurance Supplies Co., LTD KN95s which are FDA EU authorized for use as PPE.

Guangzhou Powecom Labor Insurance Supplies Co., Ltd.Powecom KN95 Protective MaskGB262698.2197.042020-174.1pdf icon
Guangzhou Powecom Labor Insurance Supplies Co., Ltd.Powecom KN95 Protective MaskGB262698.9198.602020-174.2pdf icon
Guangzhou Powecom Labor Insurance Supplies Co., Ltd.KN95GB262699.2898.962020-211.1pdf icon
Guangzhou Powecom Labor Insurance Supplies Co., Ltd.KN95GB262699.5698.182020-303.1pdf icon
Guangzhou Powecom Labor Insurance Supplies Co., Ltd.KN95 Protective MaskGB262699.6099.432020-315.1pdf icon
Guangzhou Powecom Labor Insurance Supplies Co., Ltd.KN95GB262698.9198.552020-317.1pdf icon

Thanks for the recommendations and clarification. These were the ones I got, they definitely seem like they do the job. The smell isn't awful, just mildly unpleasant. But I have a sensitive nose.

Amazon product ASIN B089P1RC2K

And lowest hospitalizations since tracking.

6 announced today. The other day alone had 7 in one day, they just likely have not been processed yet by DOH
Ya, as Greg notes what we are seeing with so few recent official deaths in NJ is likely a lag due to processing of the information.

We have noted similar processing lags on this board for awhiles now, whether if be in FL, in AZ, or on the CDC site.

I also think the argument of "why are we closing the economy when only this amount have died" is extremely faulty as we don't know how many would die if we didn't have these restrictions. We do know it would be more then what we are now seeing.

Last edited:

What Australia has chosen to do is stop the spread very early on instead of waiting until hospitals are filled and the deaths are piling up. As you note they were able to curb the rise in cases(and subsequently hospitalizations and deaths) at a relatively low number.

New study finds very weak asymptomatic coronavirus transmission

The study’s authors conclude not only that asymptomatic transmitters compose only a tiny slice of the spread, but that the rate of transmission increases with the severity of the illness, further validating the strategy of focusing on the sick, not the healthy:

The secondary attack rate increased with the severity of index cases, from 0.3% (CI, 0.0 to 1.0%) for asymptomatic to 3.3% (CI, 1.8% to 4.8%) for mild, 5.6% (CI, 4.4% to 6.8%) for moderate, and 6.2% (CI, 3.2% to 9.1%) for severe or critical cases (P for trend < 0.001). Manifestation of certain symptoms, such as fever (6.7% [CI, 5.3 to 8.0] vs. 3.3% [CI, 1.6 to 4.9]) and expectoration (13.6% [CI, 10.6 to 16.7] vs. 3.0% [CI, 2.1 to 3.9]), in the index cases was associated with an increased risk for infection in their close contacts.
Researchers also found, as other studies have already concluded, that most of the secondary infections occurred among household members. Thus, putting together the low rate of asymptomatic transmission with the fact that most cases (of all severity levels) are spread in the home, why should we destroy our civilization over the concern of asymptomatic spread? Where is the evidence that a non-symptomatic individual merely passing someone for a few seconds in a store will transmit the virus?

Coronavirus hospitalizations down to lowest levels of pandemic. So where is our exit strategy?

As of August 13, according to the CDC’s surveillance program, those with coronavirus-like illness (CLI) are just 1.8 percent of emergency department visits, which matches the June 6 level before the surge in the South. In early July, it was up to 4.3%.

Those numbers have bottomed out even lower than May levels, even in the South. Coronavirus patients make up fewer than 3 percent of patients in every region of the country. According to the AP, “Florida reported about 3,900 new cases of the coronavirus Sunday, the lowest daily total in nearly two months.” ER visits for COVID-like illness are down 63% since the peak in July.

Arizona has long been past its peak, even though the media continues to act as if the state is on fire. Arizona’s hospital census is the lowest it has been since June 3. And although Mondays are usually light reporting days, the state reported zero deaths yesterday and fewer than 500 new cases.

In Texas, hospitalizations are down 43 percent from the July 22 peak and declining rapidly. Even the border counties, which were hit harder than almost anywhere in the country, have declined after a tough July.

Clearly, the southern states barely got exposed to the virus early on in the spring and have now reached their degree of saturation. Except, contrary to the predictions by panicked commentators of multiple New York-level death traps being replicated all over the country, these states kept the situation under control without anything near New York’s level of death and panic.

As my friend Ian Miller pointed out, on April 13, in New York and New Jersey combined, a population of 28.2 million had 26,606 COVID hospitalizations. Today, Arizona, California, Georgia, Florida, and Texas, with a combined population of 108 million, have 21,971 COVID patients. And remember, we are better now at identifying the full population of COVID cases than we were in March.

Herd immunity will be achieved at roughly 20 percent in most places

What’s becoming clear is that every major population area is going to achieve this 15%-20% threshold whether they like it or not.

More Here:

There have been questions on this board about why more attention isn't being given to Rutgers' saliva test. The Washington Post does mention it and other saliva tests in its covid-19 summary. But it says:

Saliva tests are more convenient and safe on the front end, but could still meet roadblocks because they require access to a certified lab, and would not speed up testing in areas without those facilities or where labs are already overwhelmed. This is likely why there hasn't been more fanfare over the saliva test's development.

New study finds very weak asymptomatic coronavirus transmission

The study’s authors conclude not only that asymptomatic transmitters compose only a tiny slice of the spread, but that the rate of transmission increases with the severity of the illness, further validating the strategy of focusing on the sick, not the healthy:

Researchers also found, as other studies have already concluded, that most of the secondary infections occurred among household members. Thus, putting together the low rate of asymptomatic transmission with the fact that most cases (of all severity levels) are spread in the home, why should we destroy our civilization over the concern of asymptomatic spread? Where is the evidence that a non-symptomatic individual merely passing someone for a few seconds in a store will transmit the virus?

Given this is a Horowitz article I assume this does not include presymptomatic, which is when people are most contagious.

Coronavirus hospitalizations down to lowest levels of pandemic. So where is our exit strategy?

As of August 13, according to the CDC’s surveillance program, those with coronavirus-like illness (CLI) are just 1.8 percent of emergency department visits, which matches the June 6 level before the surge in the South. In early July, it was up to 4.3%.

Those numbers have bottomed out even lower than May levels, even in the South. Coronavirus patients make up fewer than 3 percent of patients in every region of the country. According to the AP, “Florida reported about 3,900 new cases of the coronavirus Sunday, the lowest daily total in nearly two months.” ER visits for COVID-like illness are down 63% since the peak in July.

Arizona has long been past its peak, even though the media continues to act as if the state is on fire. Arizona’s hospital census is the lowest it has been since June 3. And although Mondays are usually light reporting days, the state reported zero deaths yesterday and fewer than 500 new cases.

In Texas, hospitalizations are down 43 percent from the July 22 peak and declining rapidly. Even the border counties, which were hit harder than almost anywhere in the country, have declined after a tough July.

Clearly, the southern states barely got exposed to the virus early on in the spring and have now reached their degree of saturation. Except, contrary to the predictions by panicked commentators of multiple New York-level death traps being replicated all over the country, these states kept the situation under control without anything near New York’s level of death and panic.

As my friend Ian Miller pointed out, on April 13, in New York and New Jersey combined, a population of 28.2 million had 26,606 COVID hospitalizations. Today, Arizona, California, Georgia, Florida, and Texas, with a combined population of 108 million, have 21,971 COVID patients. And remember, we are better now at identifying the full population of COVID cases than we were in March.

What’s becoming clear is that every major population area is going to achieve this 15%-20% threshold whether they like it or not.

More Here:
I'm glad that Horowitz noted that Mondays are a "light" reporting day in AZ. Today they posted over 100 deaths.

That guy is equally as bad as the MSM which he continuously bitches about.

More Here:

excellent read, thanks.

What Australia has chosen to do is stop the spread very early on instead of waiting until hospitals are filled and the deaths are piling up. As you note they were able to curb the rise in cases(and subsequently hospitalizations and deaths) at a relatively low number.

I understand that, but they have essentially suspended their constitution for medical martial law. If this is how they are going to treat this virus going forward (i.e. instituting martial law every time the SDMA rises above 100-200 daily cases), their society is going to collapse. We saw how close this was to happening in Wuhan and the greater Hubei province in China. The virus is endemic at this point, and will be omnipresent to a degree even with a vaccine. This policy will kill them long term, these types of lockdowns are unsustainable as we have already found out.

I've harped on it in the past, but history has shown us for over a thousand years that when power of this magnitude is obtained (even if initially out of perceived necessity) it is rarely fully rescinded. Once the precedent is set, it becomes significantly easier to curtail freedoms over increasingly smaller issues.

More Here:
Spot on-

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT