ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure this is the news you would like it to be....

Number of tests conducted in florida to date = 2.6M
Number of positive cases in florida to date = 291K

puts overall positivity rate at >10% regardless of whether specific positivity rates for certain days/labs have been mis-reported. in other words, the errors are not likely to impact overall positivity numbers very much.

What I posted is the tip of the iceberg in reporting errors

What I posted is the tip of the iceberg in reporting errors
okay, post away.

Also exactly what do you think the impact of these errors are?

Is the number of dead people significantly smaller than reported?
Is the number of positive cases significantly smaller than reported?
Is the status of our hospitals in affected areas significantly better than reported?

Reactions: thegock
Interesting Ca. numbers.

7,584 hospitalizations in Ca. today. There are 75,000 licensed beds in the state. All of the hysteria is completely unfounded. Hospitals are not being overrun.

7,077 deaths in a state with 40MM people. Half of those deaths were in nursing homes prisons. 80% are 65 and over.

Gov Hair Gel shutting down the economy is nothing but a political play. Covid funds run out 7/31 and he's trying to play games with the President.

I have always felt that the notion of getting a vaccine identified, tested, scaled-up, and ready for use this year was wildly, improbably, optimistic.

Of course we ALL WISH for a vaccine, but to expect it/pin all our hopes on one? No way.
I been saying this all along. When I hear anyone or read anyone say we have keep things shut down until there is a vaccine. My first thought is they are absolutely clueless.
He is right that anyone saying that a vaccine is coming soon is a grave disservice to the public. But clowns back up Pfizer as they think the are above the nonsense.

Last edited:
I been saying this all along. When I hear anyone or read anyone say we have keep things shut down until there is a vaccine. My first thought is they are absolutely clueless.
He is right that anyone saying that a vaccine is coming soon is a grave disservice to the public. But clowns back up Pfizer as they think the are above the nonsense.
Aren't you one of the guys saying that we need to stay positive?

I have more confidence in PFE than I do Moderna. But I'm not confident that it's going to be ready by the end of the year.

I have zero confidence in the high numbers being reported now. Places in Floridia were having 100% confirmation rates.
Was discussed on the previous page.

Kind of like the AZ dashboard perpetually showing near zero new confirmed cases in the most recent days, I see this as a reporting quirk.

Why do we have to behave like this?

Aren't you one of the guys saying that we need to stay positive?

I have more confidence in PFE than I do Moderna. But I'm not confident that it's going to be ready by the end of the year.
Pfizer is the top dog in this race, but Moderna is still pushing out positive info:

Moderna shares jump as much as 16% after company says its coronavirus vaccine trial produced ‘robust’ immune response

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/14/mod...d-robust-immune-response-in-all-patients.html

Interesting Ca. numbers.

7,584 hospitalizations in Ca. today. There are 75,000 licensed beds in the state. All of the hysteria is completely unfounded. Hospitals are not being overrun.

7,077 deaths in a state with 40MM people. Half of those deaths were in nursing homes prisons. 80% are 65 and over.

Gov Hair Gel shutting down the economy is nothing but a political play. Covid funds run out 7/31 and he's trying to play games with the President.

Patients hospitalized in California has jumped 56% in two weeks. Your governor has the foresight to attempt to get ahead of it. How many ICU beds? Increasing ICU beds isn’t much of an issue but staffing is.

Pfizer is the top dog in this race, but Moderna is still pushing out positive info:

Moderna shares jump as much as 16% after company says its coronavirus vaccine trial produced ‘robust’ immune response

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/14/mod...d-robust-immune-response-in-all-patients.html
They recently dipped to $57 and I considered jumping back in.

Heard some talk about the CEO which noted his ruthlessness(or something like that) which I considered a positive for the prospects of the stock.

Didn't buy, certainly regretting it this week. Have had quite of few of them recently.

Patients hospitalized in California has jumped 56% in two weeks. Your governor has the foresight to attempt to get ahead of it. How many ICU beds? Increasing ICU beds isn’t much of an issue but staffing is.
Please man, not here.

Anyone notice how Sweden has been doing?

amrtZ7C6fVMGasgaYrAVKrQCLs4VmQTIW22xiAhM7ybbb-ck1ghl97hgOqXm04UwcYz41lquV98nROkDJCuQMSZwZXIdBdXzNxdWEsjRIZQoUt1Av3-az2qzAuF1k15dpCZxjyj4

7Q2K14ufiCD5ZgXCiQ0bG9eJQCTKZFbhKtkHnVFJbl882tGY0sE5cbAiOXg9Nwmy5TGcaHiZ4CwlC5sL0C0o-16ypElU6S1CjuOXN_Nze4fEkcEudYVjKsF68KuNxSwqwoshGS5N

Details of the Moderna trial released. Still think Pfizer is the mRNA vaccine favorite based on the reports so far. Need more details of the Pfizer trial, but Pfizer seems to trigger a better response with a less dosage. Both have side effect issues.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/14/moderna-covid19-vaccine-first-data-show-spurs-immune-response/

Good posts today on vaccines. Yes, the Pfizer study elicited slightly greater antibody immune responses at significantly lower vaccine doses. The Pfizer/BioNTech mRNA vaccine, in phase I ishowed that those who received 30 micrograms of the vaccine candidate generated antibodies that were 2.8 times higher than the average of a group of patients who had confirmed prior infections (267 geometric mean titers in vaccine recipients vs. 94 in recovered patients), whereas the Moderna vaccine produced a ratio of 2.2 to 1 in geometric mean titers at a 100 mcg dose (3.3X the dose of the Pfizer vaccine).

Having said that, I doubt these differences are more than minor at the phase I stage (with very small numbers of patients, i.e., <50, vs. the 20-30K or more planned for the large phase III trials) with the take home message for both mRNA vaccine candidates being that both elicited strong immune responses at reasonable doses, with minimal side effects. This is essentially what Dr. Fauci said earlier today, quoted in the article you linked.

Asked to compare the Moderna and Pfizer vaccine data, Fauci said, “I don’t think you could say anything about one being better than the other. They both induce good responses. Let’s see what happens in the real world.”

Dr. Fauci also said the comments below about the Moderna vaccine. He had similar comments about the Pfizer vaccine and the bottom line is that it's great there were no red flags in either vaccine so far, but as many have pointed out, there's a long, long way to go from phase I results to having a commercially available vaccine - but it's a good start and way better than if the phase I results had failed.

https://uk.advfn.com/stock-market/l...vid-19-Vaccine-Moves-to-Bigger-Study/82854799

"This is really quite good news," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said in an interview Tuesday. NIAID co-developed the Moderna vaccine and led the study.

"The gold standard of protection against a viral infection is neutralizing antibodies," he added. "And the data from the study, small numbers as it may be, are pretty clear that this vaccine is capable of inducing quite good [levels] of neutralizing antibodies."

Fauci still thinks it's possible we'll have a vaccine by the end of the year, as do I, notwithstanding Merck CEO Ken Frazier's comments, as posted by @TroothSkr. Having worked at Merck for over 30 years, Ken and Merck are simply very conservative on overpromising and underdelivering, so his comments do not surprise me at all - and it is very possible there will be issues in the phase III larger trials that indicate safety/efficacy issues that could delay or derail these vaccines (no mRNA vaccine has been approved to date for any infectious disease) or others. Here's the link to the Frazier interview. Let's hope he's wrong.

https://www.fiercepharma.com/vaccin...-19-vaccine-hype-a-grave-disservice-to-public

Also, here's Derek Lowe's cautiously optimistic take (In the Pipeline) on the Pfizer mRNA vaccine, which came out before Moderna's announcement this afternoon. His closing statement is worth reading...

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/07/14/pfizers-progress

So good luck to Bourla and to the Pfizer/BioNTech collaboration as they push on in the clinic. Those Phase II/III trials are where all of this is going to be settled, because there is simply no other way to find out what works. Not everything will. We’re heading into an immense, unprecedented, and incredibly expensive and nerve-shredding pile-up in the clinic later this summer and fall, and I’ve said it before – we’ve never seen anything like this, and I hope we never have to again. Hold on tight.

Reactions: biker7766 and RU23
Anyone notice how Sweden has been doing?

amrtZ7C6fVMGasgaYrAVKrQCLs4VmQTIW22xiAhM7ybbb-ck1ghl97hgOqXm04UwcYz41lquV98nROkDJCuQMSZwZXIdBdXzNxdWEsjRIZQoUt1Av3-az2qzAuF1k15dpCZxjyj4

7Q2K14ufiCD5ZgXCiQ0bG9eJQCTKZFbhKtkHnVFJbl882tGY0sE5cbAiOXg9Nwmy5TGcaHiZ4CwlC5sL0C0o-16ypElU6S1CjuOXN_Nze4fEkcEudYVjKsF68KuNxSwqwoshGS5N

They've certainly improved lately, which is great, but, overall, they've done dismally, when compared to countries of similar size, population density and culture, i.e., the other Nordic countries, which generally have 5-10X lower per capita death rates than Sweden. Sweden's death rate per capita is in the same ballpark as Italy, Spain, UK, and France, which are generally considered to have done the worst in Europe with the pandemic. The link below is fairly balanced, IMO and my post below from the other day has a lot of comparative data. Also, they're nowhere near herd immunity with 6-7% of the country having antibodies in the latest testing.

https://www.businessinsider.com/swe...ths-fall-not-mean-lockdown-plan-worked-2020-7

You tried this before and crashed and burned, especially when you said that, "Sweden is doing a great job as well. Sounds like they are approaching herd immunity and will be done worrying about corona soon." Sweden is at about 7% with antibodies, way, way below herd immunity levels of 55-80% (and we can't count on any possible T-cell cross-reactivity immunity yet, for the purposes of this discussion).

http://outbreaknewstoday.com/sweden...fection-antibody-tests-in-blood-donors-98648/

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ventions-and-more.191275/page-93#post-4538236

Below is my post from the beginning of May showing how badly Sweden was doing vs. its similarly situated Nordic neighbors. The fluff article you posted from Politico compared Sweden to Portugal for some reason and ignored Finland, Norway and Denmark, which are much better comparisons. And below that is the post from early June in which the architect for Sweden's minimalist approach essentially admitted they erred in not taking more aggressive interventions.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ventions-and-more.191275/page-94#post-4538986

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...entions-and-more.191275/page-147#post-4594796

I updated the table from May below, which is all from Worldometers. Who would pick Sweden's results over Norway and Finland? Thought so. All three have similar population densities and cultures, yet Sweden has about 10X as many deaths per capita. Sweden even did much worse with regard to deaths per 1MM (because they did much worse with interventions to prevent cases, which prevent deaths) than more densely populated Denmark just to its south and even much larger and more densely populated Germany. Sweden's deaths per capita are right in range with the worst European countries, like the UK, Spain, Italy and France.

Country......Cases/1MM.......Deaths/1MM........Tests/1MM.....Density (per sq mi)
Sweden...........7238.....................538.....................51K.....................56
Finland............1310......................59............. .........46K....................43
Norway............1648......................46.......................66K....................41
Denmark.........2223......................105....................197K..................345
Germany.........2364......................109.....................70K...................576

And here's a link to a blog which shows much of the data in the table above, graphically.
https://ugandansatheart.blogspot.com/2020/04/uah-if-coronavirus-is-so-deadly-why-was.html

None of that changes the numbers. Yea, he’s so forward thinking he didn’t ban “protests” which are happening as I type. These people need lives.

Another uninformed post. Their death rates, overall, since the pandemic started, may be greater, but their current case rate is 1/20th ours (per capita) and their current death rates are 1/13th that of the US. That's why they're back in schools.

LRDDztc.png

https://www.gzeromedia.com/the-graphic-truth-are-new-us-covid-deaths-surging-vs-eu
Hahaha, #s is all pushed cause his thread got stuffed. Your straw man argument ain’t flying anymore. Euros are back in school. Fact. US death rate is lower than a number of Euro countries including those i mentioned. Also fact. Does anyone even take this guy seriously anymore? Did they ever?

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Hahaha, #s is all pushed cause his thread got stuffed. Your straw man argument ain’t flying anymore. Euros are back in school. Fact. US death rate is lower than a number of Euro countries including those i mentioned. Also fact. Does anyone even take this guy seriously anymore? Did they ever?

So you are disregarding the current situation?

Florida Texas Cali AZ North Carolina, and Alabama have each reported more deaths today then all but 2 Euro countries.

Nevermind recent cases.

Now should NJ and NY be looking to follow the leads of these Euro countries? Ya I think so.

Last edited:
Reactions: RutgHoops
is it true that only 9k people under the age of 55 have died from coronavirus?

Short answer is basically yes. If you want the gory details, it was 8650 when we had 114K deaths, but the CDC is always a bit behind, so if the ratios haven't changed, with 139K now dead, that number would be about 10.5K, so far, so basically yes you are correct. In an "average" (using 2010-11 to 2016-2017 data) flu season with 34K deaths, there would be about 2550 deaths in those under 50, which with a little data interpolation would mean about 3300 under 55. But remember, flu deaths are estimated by a model which most think overestimates flu deaths (actual reported deaths are well less than half of estimated deaths). For those over 65 the comparisons are 110K deaths from coronavirus, so far, vs. 25K in a typical flu season. It's important to keep the "so far" part in mind.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2016-2017.html

Your post was very misleading and needed to be corrected. No idea what you even mean about the thread. First, it's not "mine" and second, you've never added anything of value to this thread and when you post crap, it will get called out.

Great job by Sweden, good to see this approach work so well.
I wouldn't say it has worked so well given their death rate compared to their neighbors. In fact I'd say they have performed very poorly.

But it would be very interesting to know why their #'s have come down so much. Are they as a population behaving very responsibly without strict gov't mandates? Are they doing the inside bar thing? Concerts? Are they wearing masks? Or is there some sort of gray matter immunity thing enhancing herd immunity?

I say instead of taking Sweden's data and immediately looking to run a victory lap, why not look into the how's and why's?

So you are disregarding the current situation?

Florida Texas Cali AZ North Carolina, and Alabama have each reported more deaths today then all but 2 Euro countries.

Nevermind recent cases.

Now should NJ and NY be looking to follow the leads of these Euro countries? Ya I think so.

I am going by the data released from Hopkins updated daily. No more no less.

Your post was very misleading and needed to be corrected. No idea what you even mean about the thread. First, it's not "mine" and second, you've never added anything of value to this thread and when you post crap, it will get called out.

It wasn't misleading at all. You just hate when there is good news. Everything I said was absolute fact. The only misleading thing is you trying create strawman arguments, which yes, I will call. LIke I just did.

Don't like it, take it up with Hopkins triggered guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT