ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted an article yesterday discussing Sweden and how many of their people took stricter social distancing measures than the government had imposed.

From the article:

Many of its citizens, however, didn’t jump into the deep end. For one thing, “a lot of Swedes went well beyond the official recommendations for social distancing, individually taking the kinds of actions that in other countries were mandated,” said Kasson, co-author of a recent study of Sweden’s strategy. “A lot of people self-isolated at home, and companies promoted working from home even though it wasn’t mandated. That shows that individual decisions that reduce [viral transmission] can have a substantial effect on national outcomes.”

Among those individual decisions: 58% of Swedes didn’t meet friends, and 74% stayed home during their spare time, researchers reported in May.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/15/covid19-accidental-sweden-fall-could-be-catastrophic/

This is what leadership looks like. Stumbled across this story tonight from 5 years ago. The pic is of Dr. Fauci suiting up to treat an Ebola patient back in 2015, as he says he "gets unique insights into disease when you actually physically interact with patients" and he also wanted to show his staff that he wouldn't ask them to do anything he wouldn't do himself.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/03/why-nihs-anthony-fauci-treating-ebola-patients-himself

si-faucippe.jpg
Did he do the same for chicomvirus yet?

Any thoughts on the blood type discussion? Some seem to think type A is at higher risk; others dispute that finding, but say type O appears to be at lower risk. Others seeing no links at all.

Any notable diseases that have a blood type association?
23 & Me did a study from participants in their genetic testing that showed a clear reduction in cases for people with blood type O.

This is what leadership looks like. Stumbled across this story tonight from 5 years ago. The pic is of Dr. Fauci suiting up to treat an Ebola patient back in 2015, as he says he "gets unique insights into disease when you actually physically interact with patients" and he also wanted to show his staff that he wouldn't ask them to do anything he wouldn't do himself.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/03/why-nihs-anthony-fauci-treating-ebola-patients-himself

si-faucippe.jpg
This is borderline political and considering you chide everyone else for bringing politics in this thread you should know better than this, when you make a comment "This is what leadership looks like", how is that not a sly shot at Trump? It invites trouble.

Is there any good literature on how this disease can cause lung damage without symptoms? It's the "without symptoms" that doesn't make sense to me. Was talking with a friend who is a doctor who worked a COVID ER in CT back in March-May and she said she was unaware of any other disease that caused this level of damage without presenting with symptoms.
I pray we don’t find out later that this virus could be causing more damage long after feeling like you’re out of the woods so they say. My mother rest her soul had tested positive for Corvid-19 with no symptoms at all then over a month later her lungs shut down and the virus takes another life. This virus seems to take the weak and try’s to damage everything else.

This is borderline political and considering you chide everyone else for bringing politics in this thread you should know better than this, when you make a comment "This is what leadership looks like", how is that not a sly shot at Trump? It invites trouble.

Numbers entire schitck is political.

The adjectives crack me up.

Agenda-based reporting 101

I posted an article yesterday discussing Sweden and how many of their people took stricter social distancing measures than the government had imposed.

From the article:

Many of its citizens, however, didn’t jump into the deep end. For one thing, “a lot of Swedes went well beyond the official recommendations for social distancing, individually taking the kinds of actions that in other countries were mandated,” said Kasson, co-author of a recent study of Sweden’s strategy. “A lot of people self-isolated at home, and companies promoted working from home even though it wasn’t mandated. That shows that individual decisions that reduce [viral transmission] can have a substantial effect on national outcomes.”

Among those individual decisions: 58% of Swedes didn’t meet friends, and 74% stayed home during their spare time, researchers reported in May.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/15/covid19-accidental-sweden-fall-could-be-catastrophic/

I posted a similar article yesterday.

People can't still believe it is a coincidence that Europe had a longer lockdown period and now embrace the science around wearing masks, social distancing and hygiene as to why their numbers are better than the US today, correct? I feel similarly about the areas in the US doing better today.

Now, anyone doing victory laps for Sweden or Europe or NY or or or is kidding themselves as this virus has shown to be able come back with a vengeance. Areas like Japan, Hong Kong, etc who are the most diligent about the virus cant completely get rid of it. But areas that don't do much of anything get hit pretty hard. I think there is pretty solid "science" in the previous sentence.

Reactions: Greg2020
I pray we don’t find out later that this virus could be causing more damage long after feeling like you’re out of the woods so they say. My mother rest her soul had tested positive for Corvid-19 with no symptoms at all then over a month later her lungs shut down and the virus takes another life. This virus seems to take the weak and try’s to damage everything else.

Sorry for your loss - that just sucks. For every death there are 3-4 serious illnesses, some of which have lingering complications for months, so far.

Reactions: Zimm80
Show me one thing in that post that's political. It's a story from 5 years ago and even my follow-up post clearly shows I'm talking about scientific/organizational leadership. If you want to compare his leadership skills and capabilities to Trump's, go for it.

Ugh, that's terrible news. I just left my mom at RWJ, she's been in ICU all week with a non-related Covid issues but its heartbreaking to see her in the condition she's in. Prayers and thoughts.

Show me one thing in that post that's political. It's a story from 5 years ago and even my follow-up post clearly shows I'm talking about scientific/organizational leadership. If you want to compare his leadership skills and capabilities to Trump's, go for it.
I did show you, I was pretty clear what it was when I put it in quotation marks and I have no interest to compare the two, for one Trump has done a crap job on leadership in my opinion, but that wasn't the point if he was or wasn't doing a good job or if Fauci is doing a better job.

But if you're being genuine about the purpose of your post, I'll take your word for it.

Reactions: RU848789
Numbers entire schitck is political.

The adjectives crack me up.

Agenda-based reporting 101

Go find a political post of mine in the last 3 pages, unless you're going to join the other mind readers who have concocted something out of nothing on the Fauci post. And I've made posts about vaccines, T-cells, Sweden, case rates, death rates, masks, and someone's loss to COVID. You've made mind-numbingly uninformative posts about NJ's death rates, NJ's death rates, NJ's death rates, NJ's death rates vs. Sweden's and - oh yeah - I think maybe one on NY's death rates.

You also had quite the apolitical (sarcasm) post about NJ's "fascist governor," which is funny/sad, since you had just said to "stop bringing politics into this thread and to stick with science and data for the good of the thread." Can't make this stuff up. Your next informative/insightful post will be your first.

Ugh, that's terrible news. I just left my mom at RWJ, she's been in ICU all week with a non-related Covid issues but its heartbreaking to see her in the condition she's in. Prayers and thoughts.

Good luck, being in that position is never easy. Been there a lot the past few years with parents and parents-in-law...

Reactions: Ronnie_B
Good luck, being in that position is never easy. Been there a lot the past few years with parents and parents-in-law...

Thanks bro and it's not easy is right, my pop got cancer at age 53 and it ravished his body till he passed at 59, I would never wish that experience on anyone.

Thanks bro and it's not easy is right, my pop got cancer at age 53 and it ravished his body till he passed at 59, I would never wish that experience on anyone.

Ouch, that's young. My mom died in April, at 84, from metastatic breast cancer after beating it 25 years ago, but it came back with a vengeance in March/April. Got to spend good quality time with her in January (she moved to FL a few years ago), but couldn't go see her the last few weeks. Father-in-law was dementia, mother-in-law was emphysema, FIL's 2nd wife was cancer, all in the last 5-7 years. Most of us go through this with parents at some point - it's hard, though.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
Ouch, that's young. My mom died in April, at 84, from metastatic breast cancer after beating it 25 years ago, but it came back with a vengeance in March/April. Got to spend good quality time with her in January (she moved to FL a few years ago), but couldn't go see her the last few weeks. Father-in-law was dementia, mother-in-law was emphysema, FIL's 2nd wife was cancer, all in the last 5-7 years. Most of us go through this with parents at some point - it's hard, though.
I'm sorry to hear this about your mom as well.

Go find a political post of mine in the last 3 pages, unless you're going to join the other mind readers who have concocted something out of nothing on the Fauci post. And I've made posts about vaccines, T-cells, Sweden, case rates, death rates, masks, and someone's loss to COVID. You've made mind-numbingly uninformative posts about NJ's death rates, NJ's death rates, NJ's death rates, NJ's death rates vs. Sweden's and - oh yeah - I think maybe one on NY's death rates.

You also had quite the apolitical (sarcasm) post about NJ's "fascist governor," which is funny/sad, since you had just said to "stop bringing politics into this thread and to stick with science and data for the good of the thread." Can't make this stuff up. Your next informative/insightful post will be your first.

:Okay Bruh

Is there any good literature on how this disease can cause lung damage without symptoms? It's the "without symptoms" that doesn't make sense to me. Was talking with a friend who is a doctor who worked a COVID ER in CT back in March-May and she said she was unaware of any other disease that caused this level of damage without presenting with symptoms.
I've mentioned this about "long haulers" a few times here, they can have debilitating symptoms that last for months or go away and then suddenly come back. Asymptomatic cases also where some don't realize they've actually had damage to the lungs. Who knows how long term these things go or how hidden they can be at times.

I say this all the time, it's all so new and we have so much to learn still. Obviously the focus is mainly on preventing deaths and treatments but I commonly come across stories about "long haulers" and they can be young, old, from mild cases/severe cases etc....info on them is only starting to be gathered from what I read.

Keep in mind the guy who shared a Frank Luntz tweet is accusing you of bringing politics into this discussion.

South Carolina joining in the fun, reporting a record 72 deaths today. Previous record was 40. Back in April.

Definitely has a reporting quirk asterisk next to it, but that doesn't hide the obvious overall rise in fatalities in the state.

In worldometer numbers reported yesterday there were over 71,000 new cases, of these 45% were in just 3 states, Texas, Florida and California. The positive test rates for these states were 15%, 11% and 13%.

From other sources, the number of tests given for these states were 59,000, 46,000 and 131,000.

South Carolina joining in the fun, reporting a record 72 deaths today. Previous record was 40. Back in April.

Definitely has a reporting quirk asterisk next to it, but that doesn't hide the obvious overall rise in fatalities in the state.

Asia and Europe went through hard lock downs. Once/week shopping, fines for not distancing, no BS mask policies. Not fun. But done & their economy closer to back and (imo) they will have way fewer lives lost when this ends. That's the story. Full stop.

Asia and Europe went through hard lock downs. Once/week shopping, fines for not distancing, no BS mask policies. Not fun. But done & the economy closer to back and (imo) they will have way fewer lives lost when this ends. That's the story. Full stop.
Can you imagine the uproar if the no-mask bros were confronted at gunpoint and beaten for non compliance? Because that's what other countries did.

Asia and Europe went through hard lock downs. Once/week shopping, fines for not distancing, no BS mask policies. Not fun. But done & their economy closer to back and (imo) they will have way fewer lives lost when this ends. That's the story. Full stop.
Cuomo flat-out rejected shelter-in-place for NYC in March and threatened to sue if Trump quarantined NYC. So there's that.

Cuomo flat-out rejected shelter-in-place for NYC in March and threatened to sue if Trump quarantined NYC. So there's that.

I think government at every level, including many of our mayors and governors were flat-footed, and didn’t want this to be an American problem after it was already an American problem right under their noses.

That said the New Rochelle containment zone was the first of its kind in this crisis in the US, and maybe ever (I’m just guessing), and was instituted by the State of NY (not the Feds) on March 10th.

I know Cuomo said they wouldn’t lock down NYC before eventually doing so around March 20th, but to say he “flat-out rejected shelter in place” is kind of misleading (unless you’re referring to the term itself) when he had already basically shut down a decent sized town.

Excellent video, thanks - far more balanced and accurate than the hit piece Navarro wrote about Fauci.
of course, I do not know if that is everything Fauci has said or if it covers the flip-flops totally.

What I see happening in the MSM covering of Fauci is a political thing that is not suited to this thread because it doesn't advance knowledge of CoVid at all. While Fauci is fair game in this thread.. he is for what he has said and when he said it about the pandemic.. NOT because there may be a political game being played where he is, essentially, the ball.

Well, we finally now have randomized, placebo/standard care controlled, blinded studies (RCTs) of HCQ, showing no clinical benefit in: i) fairly sick hospitalized patients (the Recovery Trial from the UK - 3rd/4th links, 4th link is to the paper, which finally came out as a preprint yesterday), ii) in patients exposed to COVID, but not symptomatic or having a positive viral test yet (post-exposure prophylaxis; the Boulware study, 5th link, which has a link to the paper) and iii) now in mildly sick patients, mostly with positive viral tests (the 2nd Boulware study, which just was published today - 1st and 2nd links).

Remember, RCTs are the "gold standard" of medical science, carrying far more scientific weight than observational/retrospective studies. It's also worth noting that if HCQ were a "gamechanger" surely we would not have seen death rates in NY and the US nearly double from 4/1 to 5/1, when 60-80% of patients were being given HCQ. It doesn't work, it never worked and we need to move on, as we now have some moderately beneficial treatments in hand now (remdesivir, dexamethasone, tocilimuzab, and convalescent plasma). Perhaps this will finally put the sad HCQ chapter behind us, which became far too political, which never should have happened.

https://www.startribune.com/second-...oroquine-benefit-in-covid-19-fight/571791202/

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-4207

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...entions-and-more.191275/page-146#post-4594440

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.15.20151852v1.full.pdf

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...entions-and-more.191275/page-149#post-4599886

BS post.
You not been reading half the posts in this 45 page thread.

Talk about BS posts....

It is kind of difficult to decouple this situation from politics, because the reason why we’ve done so poorly and will be talking about covid and it’s impacts for so much longer than other countries will is largely politically based. I’m not going to say anything beyond that, but this is both a heath and political situation. It just is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT