ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
EcbS-RzWkAAd82i

Reactions: biker7766
What are the best washable cloth masks that are comfortable but give the best protection too?

Preferably made in the USA.

I have prospects for a new job and would need to get better masks than I currently have.

Ridiculous post. First off, he said Asia, not China, and yes, China behaved very badly, as I've said, but even if China had been fully transparent it would've only delayed the pandemic, not stopped it, since there would've still been hundreds of thousands of people traveling from China to other countries before they could've figured out what was going on with a novel virus and some of them would've been infected and seeded outbreaks everywhere else. Given how badly we responded to the initial outbreak, I have a hard time seeing a different outcome, other than it being delayed by weeks or a month or so.
So China’s mismanagement didn’t matter because we handled things so badly? Maybe if we had better info from China we wouldn’t have sent infected people to Nursing homes Or told people to go out and enjoy the Chinese New Year and not be xenophobic. You’re a clown.

Hmmm...do the state travel restrictions apply to business/commerce activities? My guess is a nonbusiness out-of-state visitor would be subject to the state restrictions (i.e. vacationer, visiting relatives, personal). I would probably have to defer to a pro like @camdenlawprof for clarifications.

As I understand it, the state travel restrictions apply to any interstate traveler for any reason. There is constitutionally no necessity to make a distinction.

Here we go smh--Jackie Smith dropped a wide open TD pass in the endzone that cost Dallas SB XIII-it hit him right in the breadbasket. Was the OC or head coach to blame for calling that play to Smith?

C'mon you're beating a dead horse. Go ahead and blast the career government scientists and health officials that botched the testing kit development in the CDC lab. And why was there never any apparent consensus among career health officials and scientists about the threat urgency in Jan-Feb? I'm fine with getting real answers there--suspect Chicom's cover-up was a huge part of the problem.
That is the dumbest analogy I've ever read on this board! Congrats. You are off the rail again!
Mask wearing had nothing to do with the virus lol. If China figured out that peanut butter and celery prevented and cured Covid, you wouldn’t eat it because they were responsible for the virus in the first place?

Anyways, cultural adoption of masks stretches beyond China. Not saying it will or won’t happen here, but China’s role in the virus’ origin will have nothing to do with people’s mask preferences.
Or success in stopping the virus.

I am as NON-POLITICAL: as it gets... ( i mean who spends $500million to get elected to a $400k a year job) I am neither rich... Nor poor.... ( i know i'm most likely to work till the day i die) But anyways... There is so much blame to go around.. If thats all you want to do... Have at it if it makes you feel better...But i guarantee you... That good feeling wont last long... Those who truly foresaw this are those that live in bunkers!!! I was at the B1G wrestling championships at RU in early March... And even after some minimal research.... I NEVER EVEN THOUGHT IN MY WORST NIGHTMARES.... THAT I THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE POSSIBLE!!! So blame whoever... Blame, whatever.... Unfortunatly... This was happening....NO MATTER WHAT OUTSIDE OF TURNING THE UNITED STATES INTO NORTH KOREA OVERNIGHT!!! (and for the record... I work in an "essential" service... So i have been working... A LOT!!! during this entire time) I will say this.... I have to wear a mask all day at work.. it sucks... But I do understand the reasoning... (and after months of having to wear one while being exposed to thousands upon thousands of people over that time... WE have all stayed healthy so far ((Knock on wood)) I cant wait for the time that i dont have to wear one at work... But until then... I will... Cuz i can honestly tell you... They work...

I bought from here: https://standardissuetees.com/collections/shop-all/products/cotton-mask

Nice and washable — can also insert paper towel between layers if desired

I got one that looked like that, but it barely covered both my mouth and nose, and my chin was sticking out.

I like the ones that have a notch for your nose and chin, with a wire for the nose so it can mold around your nose. Whatever you do, make sure the material is cotton or other breathable fabrics like linen.

Ridiculous post. First off, he said Asia, not China, and yes, China behaved very badly, as I've said, but even if China had been fully transparent it would've only delayed the pandemic, not stopped it, since there would've still been hundreds of thousands of people traveling from China to other countries before they could've figured out what was going on with a novel virus and some of them would've been infected and seeded outbreaks everywhere else. Given how badly we responded to the initial outbreak, I have a hard time seeing a different outcome, other than it being delayed by weeks or a month or so.

bs....you make predictions about testing declaring we would have 75% less deaths and then basically excuse China...oh and buy the way dumping covid patients in nursing homes killed what 40-45% in this area, you have excused that behavior too

there is nothing scientific in your arguments and opinions..yes opinions, stop declaring yourself the end all be all on what happened and what was going to happen

So China’s mismanagement didn’t matter because we handled things so badly? Maybe if we had better info from China we wouldn’t have sent infected people to Nursing homes Or told people to go out and enjoy the Chinese New Year and not be xenophobic. You’re a clown.

It definitely didn't have anything to do with what we were discussing.

Reactions: Kbee3 and Greg2020
bs....you make predictions about testing declaring we would have 75% less deaths and then basically excuse China...oh and buy the way dumping covid patients in nursing homes killed what 40-45% in this area, you have excused that behavior too

there is nothing scientific in your arguments and opinions..yes opinions, stop declaring yourself the end all be all on what happened and what was going to happen

But he knows way more than you.

Btw, you never explained how gov't will control us through recommended mask wear. I'm sure I'm not the only one very much looking forward to it.

Reactions: Kbee3 and Greg2020
From today’s presser: “The country is in good shape, other than if you look south and west — some problems that'll all work out.”

That about sums it up. 1,150 deaths today; up from 963 last Thursday; 7 day moving average is up to 887, highest since June 6th when we were on the descent.

Reactions: Greg2020
What are the best washable cloth masks that are comfortable but give the best protection too?

Preferably made in the USA.

I have prospects for a new job and would need to get better masks than I currently have.
They're not made in the US, but in Europe somewhere, but the ones available on vistaprint are super comfortable and have a pocket for extra filtration of you so choose.

See my posts on this above. Retrospective trials like this one are way, way less meaningful than randomized controlled trials, like the Recovery trial, which showed no clinical benefit from HCQ in hospital settings. Also, most of the other observational trials do not show the benefit the Ford trial showed (also the Ford trial had a control group that was 5 years older than the HCQ group, which was likely significant). Would you like me to cite those?

Update on the Ford HCQ study I was so skeptical of - and for even more reasons than I knew the day it came out. Turns out that in addition to the 5-year age difference I noted, there were several other factors that absolutely should disqualify this study from being considered seriously, in any way, including:
  • 79% of the patients in the HCQ group received steroids, while only 36% in the "comparison (non-HCQ)" group received steroids and we know now that dexamethasone (a steroid) resulted in significant mortality reduction in one of the Recovery RCTs (randomized controlled trials).
  • 45% of the HCQ group were white, while only 28% of the "comparison" group were white.
  • These differences were known on 6/17 and the Ford paper was published on 7/1, giving the authors more than enough time to pull their paper, which is what should have occurred, given these major differences in treatment and patient demographics.
  • These are in addition to the obvious issues associated with this being a retrospective, observational study, which, by definition, commands far less respect than the randomized controlled trials (like Recovery and others), showing no benefit from HCQ.
Below are the academic commentary on the paper, a write-up of all the issues in the paper in a nice summary article and the original Ford paper, if curious.

https://secure.jbs.elsevierhealth.com/action/getSharedSiteSession?rc=1&redirect=https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(20)30530-0/fulltext#
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/ar...e-cut-covid-19-mortality-expert-urges-caution
https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(20)30534-8/fulltext

Last edited:
Interesting study on HCQ use in macaques, showing zero benefit of HCQ in prevention of infection after taking HCQ or in viral load reduction or any other improvements after infection. Also, keep in mind that animal studies can be controlled far better than human studies, so even though this study was small, the data should still carry significant weight. This is the kind of study that usually gets done after some in-vitro experiments show antiviral activity (which they did), but before a drug is given to tens of thousands of people and if it had been done before use in humans, there's no way any doctor would have ever prescribed HCQ to humans.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2558-4_reference.pdf

In macaques, we tested different treatment strategies in comparison to placebo, before and after peak viral load, alone or in combination with azithromycin (AZTH). Neither HCQ nor HCQ+AZTH showed a significant effect on the viral load levels in any of the tested compartments. When the drug was used as a pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), HCQ did not confer protection against acquisition of infection. Our findings do not support the use of HCQ, either alone or in combination with AZTH, as an antiviral treatment for COVID-19 in humans.

Unfortunately, we were in the midst of a pandemic and everyone was desperate for something that might work and an opportunistic French doctor (Raoult) published an incredibly flawed paper in March (see the commentary below tearing the methodology to pieces) and a huckster (Rigano) helped sell this unproven treatment to Fox, some influential politicians, and far too many gullible people and doctors resulting in an incredible waste of medical effort on the drug and likely preventing dozens of other more useful clinical trials from being conducted.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924857920302338

One more HCQ nugget. Another randomized, controlled clinical trial (although not blinded, so not quite as persuasive as a full-blown RCT) was published today in the New England Journal of Medicine and it concluded that "for patients hospitalized with mild-to-moderate Covid-19, the use of hydroxychloroquine, alone or with azithromycin, did not improve clinical status at 15 days as compared with standard care."

Perhaps the discrediting of the Ford study, the very persuasive macaque study and one more randomized controlled trial showing no efficacy for HCQ, with or without Azithromycin, will put a fork in the HCQ efforts, so doctors and clinicians can focus on treatments that might help people.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2019014

Any thoughts on this thread #’s?
It's crap. Just off the top of my head, not sure anyone has used HCQ more than the US and Brazil and SK barely used it at all, since the vast majority of cases were resolved before the HCQ frenzy started in late March (and nobody was using it as a prophylactic in Feb/March). I'm sure there are more errors in it, but I don't have the patience to review it, especially since there's no clinical data to support its use.

Edit: almost forgot - using the case fatality rate, CFR, for anything meaningful is a waste of time, as it's so dependent on testing. A much better country comparison for COVID severity is deaths per capita and on that the US and Brazil will be leading the world in 2-3 months on that count, barring some miracle. Some hospitals in NY/NJ were giving HCQ to 75+% of all patients in April, at the height of the outbreak, while deaths were climbing significantly.

My favorite comment on the twit thread was, "do you have similar charts for witch spells fixing the virus?"

Last edited:
No perhaps if the initial directives by Fauci-Debbie and the CDC had not been so wrong then instead of what we saw may have been somewhat different. But it was a perfect storm in a overly dense populated corridor known as the northeast of the USA . No matter who was in charge would have faced exactly the same issues. The previous acts were vastly unconcerned and prepared. Forget those states ... they really sucked the B1G one.

The CDC was awful at the start. As was WHO. I completely agree. Scientists learn. We now know better. This is a once in a 100 year event. I can't understand why each of these sentences can't be correct.

I've now spent 3 days 40 miles outside of Seattle. First flight for me out West since February. Root for better and better therapeutics.

Last edited:
Yes, nothing like quoting the omnipotent moral busybody to inspire scientific confidence in the misleading content you posted. Let's see you demonstrate that "lockdowns" caused all those lost lives in the big box, as opposed to people simply being afraid of catching the virus because so many people caught the virus and either died or had hellacious illnesses or the fact that the coronavirus, in many places, totally occupied most/all medical personnel for weeks. I'll wait.

I don't have time for a full analysis of multiple states every night, like last night, but checking in on the national numbers is pretty easy. Below is the Worldometers detailed graphic of deaths, with today's total of 1205 being the highest number since 5/29 and close to 50% of the highest daily peaks in April.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us

Below that are the COVID Tracking charts of tests, cases, hospitalizations, and deaths, all on 7-day moving averages, showing cases about 2x what they were during the first wave and hospitalizations being about equal to those in the first wave (but haven't peaked yet, while cases have and the accuracy of the hospitalization data is questionable), which is very likely due to a much younger population being infected than in the first wave and is why it's likely that deaths will likely remain significantly less than what we saw in the first wave (coupled with improved treatments/procedures).

https://covidtracking.com/data#chart-annotations

CCXTxg5.png

4STsPiy.png

Below is the Worldometers detailed graphic of deaths, with today's total of 1150 being close to yesterday's and giving us our highest 3-day total since late May.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us

Below that are the COVID Tracking charts of tests, cases, hospitalizations, and deaths, all on 7-day moving averages. Not much new to add since last night.

https://covidtracking.com/data#chart-annotations

qzV6NuI.png

MVfquqN.png

Yes, nothing like quoting the omnipotent moral busybody to inspire scientific confidence in the misleading content you posted. Let's see you demonstrate that "lockdowns" caused all those lost lives in the big box, as opposed to people simply being afraid of catching the virus because so many people caught the virus and either died or had hellacious illnesses or the fact that the coronavirus, in many places, totally occupied most/all medical personnel for weeks. I'll wait.

The links are all there for you to read..thanks.

Fools if you wear a mask after this is over. We have something called an immune system. People have gotten colds since forever. If you are that bent out of shape stay home if you are worried about giving someone a cold. Wearing masks forever? Im fing rolling on the floor.

I think employers are going to have to address how they deal with people coming to work when sick. The dynamics have changed in that regard. I can see significant issues with the workforce really getting up in arms with people coming to the office when sick

I think employers are going to have to address how they deal with people coming to work when sick. The dynamics have changed in that regard. I can see significant issues with the workforce really getting up in arms with people coming to the office when sick
This is coming from someone who works outside and doesn’t come in contact with many people.

It's crap. Just off the top of my head, not sure anyone has used HCQ more than the US and Brazil and SK barely used it at all, since the vast majority of cases were resolved before the HCQ frenzy started in late March (and nobody was using it as a prophylactic in Feb/March). I'm sure there are more errors in it, but I don't have the patience to review it, especially since there's no clinical data to support its use.

Edit: almost forgot - using the case fatality rate, CFR, for anything meaningful is a waste of time, as it's so dependent on testing. A much better country comparison for COVID severity is deaths per capita and on that the US and Brazil will be leading the world in 2-3 months on that count, barring some miracle. Some hospitals in NY/NJ were giving HCQ to 75+% of all patients in April, at the height of the outbreak, while deaths were climbing significantly.

My favorite comment on the twit thread was, "do you have similar charts for witch spells fixing the virus?"
Here is RWE tracker on medication use here in the US:

T7cpgV4Q0Tj_Nh5mYVmpkbZN2ffl_ani06-7PskigurmFXaePFu7hua1IIZW7ou2xnG7lbtdMj8C1D4VWMPtb9jYPSpulwsbheGuLhDJNn8ak_ybR4sxNJnaXQtEDiyb11D5A9hh

Your claims are NOT supported by the RWE. I am in no way suggesting that twitter thread has any value. Just pointing out statements that you made about HCQ use are false. Does not mean HCQ works, just your statements (past ones as well) are woefully inaccurate.

Fools if you wear a mask after this is over. We have something called an immune system. People have gotten colds since forever. If you are that bent out of shape stay home if you are worried about giving someone a cold. Wearing masks forever? Im fing rolling on the floor.

I’m curious to know how masks became pervasive in some Asian cultures — I don’t know if they were already popular prior to Sars, or if after Sars folks said “you don’t know it’s something other than a common cold until you’re already on a vent, so I’ll just wear the mask.”

Not sure where I’ll shake out on this; I had a full Saturday of errands, day drinking at bars, boat ride with a crowd of people, and dinner on a restaurant patio — I didn’t feel the mask was much of a burden or took away from a fun day with a friend.

Absent Covid, i would rather not have one extra item on my person, but if it makes others comfortable in five or ten years, I don’t feel like it takes away from my enjoyment of life.

How have you assured yourself that NY/NJ/CT would have all those tests completed and results fully available for the tri-state governors to implement the appropriate shelter-in-place strategies in your hypothetical scenario to avoid 75-90% of cases/deaths?
Not even sure what you're asking. Do you not think one of the richest countries in the world, that supposedly was the best prepared country for a pandemic (as per the JHU study from last year) was capable of doing what South Korea did (the link below details our failures vs. SK's successes on testing)? SK was running 1000 tests per day by mid-Feb and 10,000 tests per day by 2/25 and NY had no tests run until about 3/2 and didn't reach 1000 tests per day until mid-March (similar in NJ), a full month after SK - in a country 6.5X more populated, so we actually were doing even worse on a per capita testing basis. If the CDC, FDA, and HHS (i.e., the Federal Government) had done their jobs, there's no doubt in my mind that the states would've been able to run the tests - the states weren't the bottleneck.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-to-test-people-for-coronavirus-idUSKBN2153BW

Clearly, if we had had testing capability like SK's and were testing 10,000+ per day by late February, we would've known we had thousands of cases by early March and could've shut down then with that info - we ended up starting shutdowns in in NY/NJ on 3/16 (schools, restaurants/bars, public venues, etc.) when there were only about 1000 cumulative positive cases (and about 10 deaths) in NY and <200 cumulative cases in NJ (and 2 deaths).

As per the article and source study below, shutting down 1 week earlier in the US and NY would've saved about 55% of the lives lost and 2 weeks earlier would've saved 83% of lives lost in the US/NY (they analyzed both). Other analyses showed similar outcomes. Posted all of this multiple times before. Also, keep in mind that Seoul and NYC metro areas are of similar size/population and the DC-Boston corridor, which was, by far, hit hardest in the US early on, is of similar size/population as SK overall, so this wasn't really an issue of scale at least for the NE US.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/20/us/coronavirus-distancing-deaths.html
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.15.20103655v2.full.pdf

Here is RWE tracker on medication use here in the US:

T7cpgV4Q0Tj_Nh5mYVmpkbZN2ffl_ani06-7PskigurmFXaePFu7hua1IIZW7ou2xnG7lbtdMj8C1D4VWMPtb9jYPSpulwsbheGuLhDJNn8ak_ybR4sxNJnaXQtEDiyb11D5A9hh

Your claims are NOT supported by the RWE. I am in no way suggesting that twitter thread has any value. Just pointing out statements that you made about HCQ use are false. Does not mean HCQ works, just your statements (past ones as well) are woefully inaccurate.

That's US usage and it disagrees completely with the NYC hospital usage I've shared from multiple studies (JAMA and NEJM) showing 60-85% HCQ usage in late March/April, so I have doubts of its veracity for the US. And given that you've been spectaculary wrong on HCQ, publishing that screed from that LibertyMaven guy, believing the Indian prophylactic study, which might've been the worst run study ever, being wrong about the Recovery trial being overdosed (and HCQ toxicity), and defending the Ford study instead of picking it apart like you did on the Lancet study (which I gave you props on), you might want to think about the glass house you're throwing stones from.

I’m curious to know how masks became pervasive in some Asian cultures — I don’t know if they were already popular prior to Sars, or if after Sars folks said “you don’t know it’s something other than a common cold until you’re already on a vent, so I’ll just wear the mask.”

Not sure where I’ll shake out on this; I had a full Saturday of errands, day drinking at bars, boat ride with a crowd of people, and dinner on a restaurant patio — I didn’t feel the mask was much of a burden or took away from a fun day with a friend.

Absent Covid, i would rather not have one extra item on my person, but if it makes others comfortable in five or ten years, I don’t feel like it takes away from my enjoyment of life.

Much of east Asia was impacted by SARS (and a few by MERS) and masks became common due to that, but then there's Japan, which has had a mask wearing culture since at least the 1918 pandemic. Cool article on Japan and masks below.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...lth/japans-history-wearing-masks-coronavirus/

Very strong guidance at work to absolutely stay home if one has any symptoms. I doubt the formal requirements will remain in place after COVID, but culturally, I think it will be far less acceptable to come to work with a cold or certainly the flu, which I think is a good thing, as people aren't as productive anyway, plus they're likely infecting others.

Air pollution.

133 deaths in FL reported today, pretty flat vs last Friday (128); but rolling 7 day total is up to 852 vs 703 on the 17th.

Over 12,400 new cases reported today — most since Sunday. Fifth highest total of the crisis (in FL).

That's US usage and it disagrees completely with the NYC hospital usage I've shared from multiple studies (JAMA and NEJM) showing 60-85% HCQ usage in late March/April, so I have doubts of its veracity for the US. And given that you've been spectaculary wrong on HCQ, publishing that screed from that LibertyMaven guy, believing the Indian prophylactic study, which might've been the worst run study ever, being wrong about the Recovery trial being overdosed (and HCQ toxicity), and defending the Ford study instead of picking it apart like you did on the Lancet study (which I gave you props on), you might want to think about the glass house you're throwing stones from.
Complete post of lies...

Reactions: bac2therac
While most would agree in principle re: staying home when sick, think of all the inconsiderate jagoffs who show up at work with a full blown flu or bronchitis or strep because they think the world will end if they don't show up to the workplace. Then tell everyone that they're not sick, they just have a sniffle or the heat is just bothering them.

In highly competitive work environments when there are major deadlines, there has often been no excuse for not working. The workers were not viewed as "inconsiderate" if they showed up sick but rather inconsiderate if they didn't show up because they were being depended on. I do think that will change, at least for a while.

Past U.S. experience shows us that often such changes are not permanent and that when this is far enough behind us to be forgotten by many, that behavior change may not last.

In highly competitive work environments when there are major deadlines, there has often been no excuse for not working. The workers were not viewed as "inconsiderate" if they showed up sick but rather inconsiderate if they didn't show up because they were being depended on. I do think that will change, at least for a while.

Past U.S. experience shows us that often such changes are not permanent and that when this is far enough behind us to be forgotten by many, that behavior change may not last.
It's very much a residual of the 20th century work construct. Now that many office workers are capable of working from home, this shouldn't even be an issue that comes up. Unless I'm completely bedridden, I work from home when sick...and my group knows that. So they never have an issue if I don't come in. Still productive, still hitting deadlines, just not there physically.

I was certainly oversimplifying things, since the info you mentioned is unlikely to be readily available. I also am not sure it would help much, since our states, cities and counties aren't monoliths with regard to political party. Plenty of Trump supporters in the cities and plenty of lefties in the country. And it only takes a modest subset of the population in any area not wearing masks and congregating in groups (especially indoors) to lead to outbreaks.

Plus a variable I didn't mention, but probably should have, is age: far more younger people, independent of party are not following masking guidance, since the young often don't want to listen to "authority" anyway, plus they know they're not at much risk. My larger point remains, though, that I think far more people would be wearing masks if the POTUS had been a strong champion for them from day one (or at least since early April, when the CDC came out for them).

Also, I have no great disagreement on your 7 points (minor quibbles maybe, but not worth arguing here), but, as I've said hundreds of times now, the biggest factor enabling our horrific start to the pandemic was the lack of testing. No tests at all in NY/NJ through 3/3 and less than 1000 per day through mid-March, by which time we had tens of thousands, if not over 100,000 infected people participating in the most densely populated/most dense commuting culture in the US, at least (with, by far, the biggest influx of infected people from Europe in the US), prior to things starting to shut down on 3/16. If we had the testing we needed in place, we'd have seen similar numbers 2 weeks earlier and likely could've shut down 2 weeks earlier and avoided 75-90% of cases/deaths.

I think most would agree testing was an issue. People will certainly disagree about who is to blame with that, but at this point I don't think anyone's mind is changed on placing that blame by further discussing it.

The point is, the notion that "right wing" or "conservative" people won't wear masks and are the root of the current problem is not really supported by data, is an over simplification, and ignores many factors. It appears that you recognize this. While people may disagree about the scope and size of the problem, the one thing that is clear is that we are collectively in this with our neighbors, whether they are young, old, political, or agnostic. Moreover, unlike many other countries, the U.S. has about the farthest thing from a homogeneous population as you can get. I would guess that is not the case in any of these countries used for comparison. Those population differences are beneficial in many ways, but having a group that just goes with the official flow, no matter who is calling the shots, is not one of them. The sooner we accept this reality instead of playing a political blame game ("things are bad because those people that support the other political party are just so stupid") the better off we will all be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT