ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A real class on nutrition. Let's call it Life Skills 101. First half of the year is about nutrition, second half about personal finances.
Wouldn’t work
You would have a percentage of people insisting on a KETO diet

Last edited:
Article about Study showing high accuracy on dogs sniffing out people with virus. If it pans out this could be a nice complement to actual testing even if only used in areas like airports or large scale traffic spots.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...out-coronavirus-infections-german-study-shows
Cool stuff - here's the actual study if anyone is interested. Agree it could be used for screening in large crowds, as ~94% accuracy is better than the ~80% accuracy of the PCR test. Too many false negatives in the PCR test (~20%) vs. ~3% false negatives (the worst outcome, as that makes infected people think they're not infected) from the dogs, although I don't think the comparison is actually fair, since the PCR test can be on anyone and the dogs were sniffing samples known to be positive or negative. The dogs might not do as well for people early in an infection, with lower viral loads, just like the PCR test (and these were dogs sniffing samples not actual people, which could make it harder).

https://bmcinfectdis.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12879-020-05281-3

Let's keep this to climate. Do you really think climate has anything to do with this virus? It doesn't appear to, thus far, and let's hope that continues, since I'd hate to think what we're seeing now is a summer lull and that we're going to see much worse in the fall/winter, like we do with influenza. We saw the worst outbreaks in the first wave in NY/NJ and parts of Europe in the cool/cold late winter (and New Orleans which was pretty mild) and now we're seeing the worst outbreaks in the heat/humidity of mid-summer in the south/SW.

As per the linked study, many experts think that climate is far less important than the fact that this is novel virus, which will likely be transmitted easily (given its R0) in most conditions if people are in reasonably close contact without taking any countermeasures, like masking/distancing. Link/excerpt below.

"The main punchline of our paper is that at this early stage of the pandemic, lack of population immunity...dominates any climate effect," said Rachel Baker, an epidemiologist at Princeton University and the lead author of the study.

https://environment.princeton.edu/news/local-climate-unlikely-to-drive-the-early-covid-19-pandemic/
Oy vey, you're way off again, I never said say that climate itself drives the chicomvuirus. In fact in a recent reply directly to you I specifically noted the connection that climate, be it the scorching summer in the sunbelt or cold in the N/E in winter months, drives human behavior more indoors or outdoors. It's human behavior as in close contact, for example the increased younger crowd gatherings being reported , that determines the transmission. I'll give you a mulligan.

Btw, the NOLA outbreak has been linked to mardi gras and it being largely seeded by NY and Cali visitors in late Feb--you probably noted this somewhere in the pinned threads anyway.

Last edited:
@OntheBanks you can read up on the Abbot serology test here

Since you say you had no symptoms except for September and October but have CoVid antibodies, I have to wonder how likely you think it is that you are nearly patient zero in the USA... or if you have gotten such a slight case after CoVid was known to be here you never noticed it.. or you are in the 5% outside the best 95% confidence level this test has.

This is not an attack on you or your experience.. more real-world information like that you shared is always good to get.

Reactions: biker7766
Cool stuff - here's the actual study if anyone is interested. Agree it could be used for screening in large crowds, as ~94% accuracy is better than the ~80% accuracy of the PCR test. Too many false negatives in the PCR test (~20%) vs. ~3% false negatives (the worst outcome, as that makes infected people think they're not infected) from the dogs, although I don't think the comparison is actually fair, since the PCR test can be on anyone and the dogs were sniffing samples known to be positive or negative. The dogs might not do as well for people early in an infection, with lower viral loads, just like the PCR test (and these were dogs sniffing samples not actual people, which could make it harder).

https://bmcinfectdis.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12879-020-05281-3

Only thing that confused me was at the end of the original article was posted it said:

Von Koeckritz-Blickwede said that the next step will be to train dogs to differentiate Covid samples from other diseases like influenza.”

So I guess they can just smell infections in general and not Covid specifically?

Either way, amazing stuff.

Lets see what this heatwave does to numbers in our area
Fair, but I would think a one-week or so heat wave up here vs. 2-3+months of constant similar heat in the sunbelt states would impact the human behavior response differently. And at least what I have seen--which is mostly as a married dude with kids in Somerset Cty and recent family vacation in Cape May (in other words my wild and crazy partying dayz be over )--this state seems pretty disciplined with masks and social distancing.

"Poor kids are getting at least 2 meals from their schools 365 days a year". Change that to 180 days a year and you'll be accurate.

Sounds like you've never been poor.
Sure did with zero handouts. Mom worked, dad worked 3-4 jobs at a time and never bitched. We are lots of Campbell’s soup, PBJ and grilled cheese. Never went on vacations, never bought the newest coolest gadgets, but always had TWO parents making sure our lives would be better than theirs.

The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It

HARVEY A. RISCH, MD, PHD , PROFESSOR OF EPIDEMIOLOGY, YALE SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH

I am referring, of course, to the medication hydroxychloroquine. When this inexpensive oral medication is given very early in the course of illness, before the virus has had time to multiply beyond control, it has shown to be highly effective, especially when given in combination with the antibiotics azithromycin or doxycycline and the nutritional supplement zinc.

More Here:
https://www.newsweek.com/key-defeat...exists-we-need-start-using-it-opinion-1519535

Cancel culture?Lol What...I think everyone has the right to their own opinion, but if you can't stump up sourced/ researched information then what are you doing, just perpetuating what the talking heads say.
Exxon gas attendant on 206 north, no mask today. Interesting

I go to gas stations almost daily in Hillsborough for personal car or my work vehicles and equipment. The only gas station attendants that wear masks is the Quick Check. Very rarely do the other stations wear masks. I know of some that don't at all.

Reactions: bac2therac
One more HCQ nugget. Another randomized, controlled clinical trial (although not blinded, so not quite as persuasive as a full-blown RCT) was published today in the New England Journal of Medicine and it concluded that "for patients hospitalized with mild-to-moderate Covid-19, the use of hydroxychloroquine, alone or with azithromycin, did not improve clinical status at 15 days as compared with standard care."

Perhaps the discrediting of the Ford study, the very persuasive macaque study and one more randomized controlled trial showing no efficacy for HCQ, with or without Azithromycin, will put a fork in the HCQ efforts, so doctors and clinicians can focus on treatments that might help people.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2019014

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...entions-and-more.191275/page-160#post-4604734

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...entions-and-more.191275/page-146#post-4594440

Let's add the most persuasive study we've yet seen on post-exposure prophylaxis to the studies that unequivocally show HCQ is ineffective in hospitalized patients with moderate to severe COVID, as well as the very convincing, highly controlled macaque studies, showing no preventative or treatment benefit at all from HCQ. Below is the link to and an excerpt from the Spanish study referred to in the link above, which is a better, more complete study than the Boulware study (U of MN, also linked above) which came out in June.

This fairly large (1198 in the control group and 1116 in the HCQ group) randomized, controlled (but open label) study clearly showed that HCQ was ineffective, as per their conclusions: "Post-exposure therapy with HCQ did not prevent SARS-CoV-2 disease and infection in healthy individuals exposed to a PCR-positive case. Our findings do not support HCQ as postexposure 72 prophylaxis for Covid-19."

It also addressed some of the weaknesses in the Boulware study, including doing all of the following, which were not done for that study: PCR tests of all enrolled patients at the start, PCR test confirmation of all suspected infections that developed during the study, and PCR tests/antibody tests of all patients on Day 14. Every patient was visited at home on Day 1 and Day 14 and phone interviewed in-between to assess symptoms/compliance.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.20.20157651v1.full.pdf

Results: The analysis included 2,314 healthy contacts of 672 Covid-19 index cases identified between Mar 17 and Apr 28, 2020. A total of 1,198 were randomly allocated to usual care and 1,116 to HCQ therapy. There was no significant difference in the primary outcome of PCR-confirmed, symptomatic Covid-19 disease (6.2% usual care vs. 5.7% HCQ; risk ratio 0.89 [95% confidence interval 0.54-1.46]), nor evidence of beneficial effects on prevention of SARS-CoV-2 transmission (17.8% usual care vs. 18.7% HCQ).

You've defined a very narrow set of criteria there... one that you know can't be attained. The whole EU would compare reasonably well in terms of size, geographic and climate diversity, different levels of intervention (state vs EU country level), but you dismissed that because you didn't like it.
I disagree with what you're implying. The country-to-country specific criteria is very important if you want to make a legitimate assessment of how any country is handling its governmental, and let's be honest, its citizenry response to the global chicomvirus comparatively. Broad-brush comparisons aren't very relevant.

So we can all agree that Germany is the standout student by far re: relatively comparable Western countries, no matter what "degree of difficulty" handicapping. (Now I would be very interested in learning exactly how/why German health experts were so far ahead of the class with much more immediacy in rolling out testing compared to every other "peer" western nation--but that's for a different political discussion.) But then you look at Italy, UK, Spain and France , who is doing better than the U.S. in your opinion? What other Euro nation would you want to compare with us, the tiny Netherlands? Line 'em up and have at it.

@OntheBanks you can read up on the Abbot serology test here

Since you say you had no symptoms except for September and October but have CoVid antibodies, I have to wonder how likely you think it is that you are nearly patient zero in the USA... or if you have gotten such a slight case after CoVid was known to be here you never noticed it.. or you are in the 5% outside the best 95% confidence level this test has.

This is not an attack on you or your experience.. more real-world information like that you shared is always good to get.
Most likely scenario is him being one of the asymptomatic, no?

Reactions: Greg2020

HARVEY A. RISCH, MD, PHD , PROFESSOR OF EPIDEMIOLOGY, YALE SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH

I am referring, of course, to the medication hydroxychloroquine. When this inexpensive oral medication is given very early in the course of illness, before the virus has had time to multiply beyond control, it has shown to be highly effective, especially when given in combination with the antibiotics azithromycin or doxycycline and the nutritional supplement zinc.

More Here:
https://www.newsweek.com/key-defeat...exists-we-need-start-using-it-opinion-1519535

The fact that he's citing the now-discredited Ford study and has completely ignored the randomized/controlled Boulware and Spanish post-exposure prophylaxis studies (in the patients he says should most benefit from HCQ) tells me he's extremely biased on this subject. He also continues to cite Dr. Zelenko, who has yet to actually publish any results despite claiming, since March, that he has the cure to COVID. Surely, if his HCQ/Zn/Az combo worked he would have shared his data with the world by now or have had someone else duplicate his work.

I go to gas stations almost daily in Hillsborough for personal car or my work vehicles and equipment. The only gas station attendants that wear masks is the Quick Check. Very rarely do the other stations wear masks. I know of some that don't at all.
Took kids and their friends for ice cream today. Young couple in front of us, guy looked skinnier than a heroin addict, wife was morbidly obese. Every once in a while, I’d see him give me a glare and look down. I finally realized if any of the kids passed the 6ft line he was getting pissed. Then someone walked up to about maybe 4 ft away from her and the guy literally ran and jumped in front of the women to block her. Sorry, but If you are that unhealthy maybe you don’t need to wait in line to get ice cream. Maybe get it at the store or send some out for you. And you sure as hell don’t order a large like she did. For the record, everyone had masks on even though we were outside.

Took kids and their friends for ice cream today. Young couple in front of us, guy looked skinnier than a heroin addict, wife was morbidly obese. Every once in a while, I’d see him give me a glare and look down. I finally realized if any of the kids passed the 6ft line he was getting pissed. Then someone walked up to about maybe 4 ft away from her and the guy literally ran and jumped in front of the women to block her. Sorry, but If you are that unhealthy maybe you don’t need to wait in line to get ice cream. Maybe get it at the store or send some out for you. And you sure as hell don’t order a large like she did. For the record, everyone had masks on even though we were outside.

drove home from beach down college ave in New Brunswick and every kid i saw (about a dozen of them in seperate groups of 2) walking had a mask on...what the f...why...outdoors in area that has been basically barren for 4 months, empty streets...MASKS...WHY???

on another note, at the beaches, all races of people, all ages, and all likely not from red states all within close proximity in the water. BS narratives from some and msm going to persist though, its unfortunate

She ate all of his food?

Most likely scenario is him being one of the asymptomatic, no?
Could be.. the context in the locked thread was surrounding how long CoVid has been here and whether anyone could have symptoms for 7-10 months. OnTheBanks did not say that.. just told his personal story. I was just following up with him here, providing a link, because the other thread got locked. Not interested in belaboring a point from a locked thread.

Reactions: RU23
drove home from beach down college ave in New Brunswick and every kid i saw (about a dozen of them in seperate groups of 2) walking had a mask on...what the f...why...outdoors in area that has been basically barren for 4 months, empty streets...MASKS...WHY???
why not? If they are comfortable with it.. why not? no skin off your nose. maybe they have CoVid and don't want to spread it while getting some of New Brunswick's version of fresh air.

Sure did with zero handouts. Mom worked, dad worked 3-4 jobs at a time and never bitched. We are lots of Campbell’s soup, PBJ and grilled cheese. Never went on vacations, never bought the newest coolest gadgets, but always had TWO parents making sure our lives would be better than theirs.

this

Reactions: LC-88
Did you really have to share that story? You just said a lot more about YOU than you did that family.

More Here:
bac already posted it yesterday, and it is fake news

on another note, at the beaches, all races of people, all ages, and all likely not from red states all within close proximity in the water. BS narratives from some and msm going to persist though, its unfortunate
It's all BS and fake MSM created virus!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT