ADVERTISEMENT

Daily Tracking the NET: now 102

good bump for RU to 74. I thought SHU would became a Q1 win this morning but I was wrong. Still a good move up. Princeton moves up 8 spots to 14. Think opponents opponents opponents....Princeton to St Joes to Villanova to Creighton
You may want to update the title of the thread

Just reviewed Michigan State’s schedule and their 5 losses are to James Madison , Duke , Arizona , Wisconsin and Nebraska and their worst loss was by 13 to Wisconsin and they lost at home toWisconsin and James Madisonand neutral to Duke and Arizona and on the road to Nebraska. I stand corrected since I thought they had bad losses , especially at home , but it turns out they have lost to good teams mostly ranked teams (4-5) . Maybe they should not have been 79 at 4-5 and maybe a lot higher so the NET is just quirky . The jumps and drops would be better if they were explained better

That’s the issue, some teams have massive jumps others get a smaller bump in comparison for a big win. No one really knows what goes into calculating it, no explanation. Thought SHU would go up 20 spots minimum with their UCONN win, but went up 15. At least RU went up 5 spots and on a day they didn’t even play.

That’s the issue, some teams have massive jumps others get a smaller bump in comparison for a big win. No one really knows what goes into calculating it, no explanation. Thought SHU would go up 20 spots minimum with their UCONN win, but went up 15. At least RU went up 5 spots and on a day they didn’t even play.
The algorithm looks at all games, not just the important ones for a given team. The win over UConn helped SHU, but it also helped us, which in turn helped Princeton.

But other schools that SHU played already also had games, and their opponents had games. And the teams above them and below them had games, and their opponents had games, and their opponents' opponents had games.

And the difference between two adjacent ranks is not equal up and down the rankings. The improvement to jump from 85 to 84. Maybe a much smaller gap than to improve from 255 to 254, or vice versa. NET does not give the actual value for each school, just their ranking.

The algorithm looks at all games, not just the important ones for a given team. The win over UConn helped SHU, but it also helped us, which in turn helped Princeton.

But other schools that SHU played already also had games, and their opponents had games. And the teams above them and below them had games, and their opponents had games, and their opponents' opponents had games.

And the difference between two adjacent ranks is not equal up and down the rankings. The improvement to jump from 85 to 84. Maybe a much smaller gap than to improve from 255 to 254, or vice versa. NET does not give the actual value for each school, just their ranking.

The 10 point cap that is built into the calculation seems like a fallacy at times as we see teams win by 30-40 pts. and they receive nice bumps. However, in order to win by 30-40 pts., a team is likely going to have excellent offensive and defensive efficiency calculations for that game and thus go towards their season long measurement so that helps explain how huge 30-40 pt. blowouts bump up a team’s NET.

I will say, RU is very well positioned in comparison to others around the country at this point in the season. They have no disastrous Q4 losses (only Stonehill left on the schedule) and they have many Q1 and Q2 opportunities ahead of them. If they deliver the wins they make the tourney. It won’t be easy, not fully confident they can do this, but if they beat Miss. State and Stonehill, then go 10-9 in remaining games, win a game in the conf. tourney and they are 20-13. I would think they would punch their ticket at that point but at a minimum they’re on the bubble, like other seasons. Not going to be easy though…..the Miss. State game is a big opportunity.

Last edited:
Mississippi State is important but we have to acknowledge how early these metrics truly are. Not only do we have to win the game, then we have to root for their success the rest of the season.

Which is why the OOC or scheduling nonsense that gets hammered here, continues to be a moving target. So much speculation that Mississippi State wasn't going to be a good opponent and how critical is would be to play Princeton, was all to appease a handful of people.

If RU wins Mississippi State and had scheduled Rider in the opener, it would be significantly higher ranked and with all of the same questions. And schools like Michigan who overscheduled and are being written off by the bracketologists, will be wrong again in March.

The Big East is proving to be more bark than actual bite across the board and the talent level is spread out very thin. As long as RU develops its depth and youth, it will put us in position to dance. It's way too early for these ratings, when they are selectively used one year and ignored the following year.

The 10 point cap that is built into the calculation seems like a fallacy
it is...offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency counts all possessions.

I am feeling the number 20 too. Beating MSU makes it easier and makes it 1 less game against a "better" opponent we have to beat.

The 10 point cap that is built into the calculation seems like a fallacy at times as we see teams win by 30-40 pts. and they receive nice bumps. However, in order to win by 30-40 pts., a team is likely going to have excellent offensive and defensive efficiency calculations for that game and thus go towards their season long measurement so that helps explain how huge 30-40 pt. blowouts bump up a team’s NET.

I will say, RU is very well positioned in comparison to others around the country at this point in the season. They have no disastrous Q4 losses (only Stonehill left on the schedule) and they have many Q1 and Q2 opportunities ahead of them. If they deliver the wins they make the tourney. It won’t be easy, not fully confident they can do this, but if they beat Miss. State and Stonehill, then go 10-9 in remaining games, win a game in the conf. tourney and they are 20-13. I would think they would punch their ticket at that point but at a minimum they’re on the bubble, like other seasons. Not going to be easy though…..the Miss. State game is a big opportunity.
I'm pretty sure they removed the 10-point cap a couple years back. It was there initially, but they modified the formula after the first couple years.

Big swings for Princeton on days they aren't playing - must be razor thin variances from 14-21 where a thousandth of a point difference can cause big jumps.
Probably because St Joe's lost? But yeah Princeton been bouncing up and down last couple days.

I am a fan of this thread, but am just saying......

If we lose vs MSU does this thread get deleted because it is no longer needed.

No.....our 1st B1G in the New year becomes a must win!

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
The win against Miss State certainly helps, but it also helps solidify the premise that the return of Mag, the growth of J-Mike, Cliff’s revival and more have RU moving in the right direction and having a better chance to finish in top have of the conference.

Illinois with a nice jump up from 18 to 9, the biggest improvement among the top 50.

Princeton still at 21, Wake Forest from 79 to 78.

Can they do this? After the MSU debacle last year this would be ridiculous.

NET falls to 83

Princeton down to 24
Mississippi State 32
Wake Forest 77
Seton Hall 88

Oddly, we wouldn’t be in that bad a position if only we could rebound. We won’t beat anyone with Cliff playing the way he did yesterday.

Clickbait
I used to like Wachtel but what the hell is he talking about this year? These kind of NON CONFERENCE games are always "neutral". Prior year examples that come to mind are Wisconsin playing Stanford in Milwaukee. Alabama playing Gonzaga in Birmingham. It happens all the time, how does he not know that?

Reactions: bac2therac
Florida Atlantic suffered a 2nd quad 4 loss with an inexplicable loss to Florida Gulf Coast

Bloom is off Arizona after losing to mediocre Stanford

Virginia with a pathetic double digit loss to terrible Notre Dame

Reactions: biazza38
Florida Atlantic suffered a 2nd quad 4 loss with an inexplicable loss to Florida Gulf Coast

Stanford putting up 100 on Arizona is wild

Reactions: biazza38

I watched FAU in the double OT thriller a couple of weeks ago. They looked amazing

Not really. From 72 to 80.
yeah not sure why he thought it was going to be that much...losing even by alot to a 7 team on the road really doesnt crater you.

That being said I am starting to see some similiarities between Northwestern this year and RU a couple years back profile wise. A lagging NET...an incredible win over a top team but yet a horrible Q4 loss. Eye test and wins wise with a pretty good win over Dayton to add to the one over Purdue, they are a tourney team. Metrics wise looks awful including a big red flag of 318 for non conference sos.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT