Freezing rain advisory for Weds (1/5) morning for most

Status
Not open for further replies.

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Had this in the Friday snowstorm thread with a mention of it in the title, but since that thread was merged and the title lost, figured a new thread on this threat was worthwhile, as freezing rain is seriously dangerous stuff. The NWS issued advisories for most of the region (all of the counties in blue in the map below) for 7 am to noon Wednesday morning, as per below, due to the chance of a glaze of ice due to freezing rain. While these types of advisories don't verify that often, it's worth being a little extra careful if you're out and about tomorrow morning, given that freezing rain is the most dangerous winter weather we get, usually. There's also a similar advisory to the one below for most of SNJ/DE for 5-9 am tomorrow and one for NYC/NENJ from 4 am to 10 am.

https://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=phi&wwa=winter weather advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
300 PM EST Tue Jan 4 2022

Sussex-Warren-Morris-Hunterdon-Somerset-Middlesex-
Western Monmouth-Mercer-Carbon-Monroe-Berks-Lehigh-Northampton-
Delaware-Philadelphia-Western Chester-Eastern Chester-
Western Montgomery-Eastern Montgomery-Upper Bucks-Lower Bucks-

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM TO NOON EST
WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Freezing rain expected. Total ice accumulations of a
light glaze.

* WHERE...Portions of central, northern and northwest New Jersey
and east central, northeast and southeast Pennsylvania.

* WHEN...From 7 AM to noon EST Wednesday.

* IMPACTS...Very slippery sidewalks, roads and bridges are
possible. The hazardous conditions will impact the morning
commute.

Ol7O3XS.png

My wife just told me delayed opening at the state tomorrow 11am

Was listening to 101.5 people saying the roads are horrible. Accidents everywhere some callers were reporting. Be careful

• Sad
Reactions: Jm0513
School cxl for icy conditions at 6:50. Late call by the policy department. Feel bad for the faculty because most of them are already on the road.

Reactions: Phi_1055
Issues in Philly and South Jersey. Apparently many areas didn't take this seriously and took no action last night. No brine or salt in many areas

Daughter called me this am - said roads in S. Plainfield were awful when she went to CrossFit early. Decided to work from home instead of trying to go to work on 287

A lot of local roads are icy with accidents. I must have seen at least 7 accidents on the parkway between exits 109 and 120 this morning where the rain was coming down fairly steady. Be careful out there.

What a mess. The township called at 8:10 to announce schools were closed. Tyler was supposed to leave for Virginia today: he went out with the missus to pick some stuff up, they're parked in a parking lot right now because the roads are so bad. So he won't be going back today. Apparently the township didn't salt the roads. WTF?

Issues in Philly and South Jersey. Apparently many areas didn't take this seriously and took no action last night. No brine or salt in many areas
My daughter works in Ridgewood and drives thru Wyckoff - said roads were a sheet of ice with no apparent salting.

Reactions: WhiteBus
My daughter works in Ridgewood and drives thru Wyckoff - said roads were a sheet of ice with no apparent salting.

Let's just say Rte 4 was interesting this morning. Little to no salting on the side roads. The side roads I blame on the local officials town by town, but hasn't Murphey overreacted to 10 out of the previous 8 storms? Was this a make-up call?

What a mess. The township called at 8:10 to announce schools were closed. Tyler was supposed to leave for Virginia today: he went out with the missus to pick some stuff up, they're parked in a parking lot right now because the roads are so bad. So he won't be going back today. Apparently the township didn't salt the roads. WTF?
Daughter said S Plainfield trucks were just sitting doing nothing when she was going thru, maybe around 7

Just drove from Scotch Plains near North Edison to Summit around 8am. Wasn't bad if you take it slow. Took a little longer than usual but no issues seen. At least it's warming up.

Co-worker who went in today said Rt. 10 East in Morris Plains had like 20 accidents between Littleton Rd and the 287 ramp. Morristown PD sent out an alert saying roads are untraveleable.

I also wondered if towns have an unspoken policy to hold off on salting/brining the roads if warmer weather is expected within some established time.

So why salt at 5 if the temp is expected to be above freezing by 9

How are they looking now? Heading to New Brunswick for a 1230 meeting, then upto Morristown for a 2:30 meeting

I also wondered if towns have an unspoken policy to hold off on salting/brining the roads if warmer weather is expected within some established time.

You have to separate brining from salting. In most of Bergen County they have brined at the drop of a hat and early (in this case it would have been last night) almost universally. Salting not so much. Not sure why this time it was different.

Morristown PD's last update was 7:56am so don't know exactly. My dad lives nearby in East Hanover and says he's driving fine. So I don't know how much difference there is between them right now. One town may have their act together while the other doesn't.

Because rush hour is between 5&9. If there is fatal accident in a town and it is found out they made that decision then they would be open to massive lawsuits and criminal investigations.

School cxl for icy conditions at 6:50. Late call by the policy department. Feel bad for the faculty because most of them are already on the road.

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that the last minute decision was due to a lot of teachers saying that they couldn’t get to work on time. And delayed opening wouldnt have made sense because they are half days this week.

I know the section of road this woman was killed on, it's downhill and when she pulled in front of the garbage truck it had little chance to stop in time with the black ice:

• Wow
Reactions: Jm0513
Because rush hour is between 5&9. If there is fatal accident in a town and it is found out they made that decision then they would be open to massive lawsuits and criminal investigations.

This is, from a legal perspective as regards liability for road conditions, entirely untrue.

Reactions: hrdcorhays
Maybe 5- 10 years ago. Not in today's world.

Yes, in today's world. Nobody's suing DOTs because the roads aren't adequately treated. Not suing and winning, anyway.

Burden of proof is on you - please cite 1 successful lawsuit that fits these criteria.

Yes, in today's world. Nobody's suing DOTs because the roads aren't adequately treated. Not suing and winning, anyway.

Burden of proof is on you - please cite 1 successful lawsuit that fits these criteria.
Not talking about DOT employees. Talking about the mayor of a small city or town who prevented his people from doing their job to save money.

Not talking about DOT employees. Talking about the mayor of a small city or town who prevented his people from doing their job to save money.

You don't know what you're talking about.

As per my previous post, either cite a successful case or grab Statler and go back to your f*ckin' balcony.

I know the section of road this woman was killed on, it's downhill and when she pulled in front of the garbage truck it had little chance to stop in time with the black ice:

This is about a half mile from where I grew up. The pharmacy is kind of in a valley of sorts. I feel like that's where ice accumulation on roads is the worst,

Reactions: Ronnie_B
what real life examples do you have where this is no longer the case?
The doubling of law suits in Philadelphia and settlements against the city in 2 years. It's not a single case it's the abundance of cases and winning cases.

Here is a couple of thousand. Cases against the city that resulted in payouts

name one where they were sued for not salting/plowing the streets in response to inclement weather...just because you can sue the city doesn't mean you can sue for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT