ADVERTISEMENT

I love Coach Pike but……….

RuBird

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2001
Reality is only two players got better as the year went on. Gavin and JWill ( wonder what a full season would have shown?).

LOL!! Best recruiting class ever but.........
If you are talking about next years class they may be and we all hope they will be. Biggest issue I have this year is the selfish play of players like Hyatt only to sulk play after play.

IIRC he is owed a serious amount of cash given the extension..like $23 million.
I hear you! Pike has said the standard at Rutgers is making the tournament.

-Best team Covid year - no tournament played
-Made the tournament (he lost that Houston game)
-Play in game (OT loss out coached)
-Missed tournament
-Missed tournament below 500

Last 5 years regressing significantly

The program is talking about 160k season tickets.
Facilities , arena, school top notch. Nil stepped up and bought the # 2 class in the country. No excuses has to win and win big

I hear you! Pike has said the standard at Rutgers is making the tournament.

-Best team Covid year - no tournament played
-Made the tournament (he lost that Houston game)
-Play in game (OT loss out coached)
-Missed tournament
-Missed tournament below 500

Last 5 years regressing significantly

The program is talking about 160k season tickets.
Facilities , arena, school top notch. Nil stepped up and bought the # 2 class in the country. No excuses has to win and win big
in all fairness he would have been in the tourney covid year (slam dunk) and he should have been in last year (but failed down the stretch).
Next year his A$$ is saved by NIL however what about all the promises the year's before about why we had to have this ABS Practice Facility to get players and win?

Yes time to put up or shut up. I'll support him another year pending. But frankly I think he is an average P5 coach at best.

He's the only coach in 30 years to get us to the tourney. Don't really care what your opinion of him is. He's the best we've had since the early 80s.
yeah so then you had to respond so I guess that's not true. And I don't care what you think of my opinion either.
"Oh boy, we made the tourney" lol. Big freakin deal. IF just making the NCAA is the standard I can give you a long list of coaches who have done it a whole lot more not at the blue bloods. We've sucked and now we've made the tourney going 1-2 and 0-1 at home NIT. Seen better coaching from several coaches since then. Keep your happy mediocre standards. I choose to expect more. We'll see.

He's the only coach in 30 years to get us to the tourney. Don't really care what your opinion of him is. He's the best we've had since the early 80s.

Not commenting on HC Pike, but it isn't mutually exclusive.

A coach can be average or even bad while still being our best coach since the early 80s.

One is a comparison to peers while another is comparison to specifically our historical coaches.

The obvious issue has been since the beginning of coach’s tenure is offense. The defense is elite, no doubt. It’s common for opponents to go several minutes without scoring. RU almost never capitalizes on this major opportunity. Suspect offensive scheme and untimely substitutions kill momentum. With the type of offensive players coming in there will be no excuses. I wouldn’t say immediate top 10 team but expectations will be high. The glaring issue I see as a result of a poor system is forced shots that sometimes fall and sometimes do not. There has to be at least some identity as to what RU is doing. I’ve seen little evidence of what that clearly is.

Not commenting on HC Pike, but it isn't mutually exclusive.

A coach can be average or even bad while still being our best coach since the early 80s.

One is a comparison to peers while another is comparison to specifically our historical coaches.
How can you not connect the two? You can’t compare the challenges of building a program here to having a year like this at a place that recruits itself like UK or Duke.

It’s one bad year. Do a count of major conference teams that were NCAA or bubble teams (home NIT seed) for 5 straight years. It’s not that many. Most teams outside of the blue bloods have an occasional down year. Our teams have been consistently competitive for 4 straight years and steadily improved year over year after inheriting a laughing stock program - until this year. Give the man a break. It happens.

Before pike we never had a winning season in either the big east or the big ten. 21 years. His level of success is unmatched over basically four decades. One losing season in the last 5 because he lost 4 starters, 2 of which left late with no chance to replace them and people are talking hotseat? That’s not a very bright position to take and that’s putting it mildly.

Before pike we never had a winning season in either the big east or the big ten. 21 years. His level of success is unmatched over basically four decades. One losing season in the last 5 because he lost 4 starters, 2 of which left late with no chance to replace them and people are talking hotseat? That’s not a very bright position to take and that’s putting it mildly.
We also didn’t have the upgraded facilities and we were not buying top 2 recruits as well as charging 160k for tickets. Wake up , big time college hoops win or your out. Pike set the standard and has reached it 1 in 9 years and has regressed badly over the last 5 years. Facts

• Sad
Reactions: Luvscarletknights
You’re right a declining record 5 years in a row and being a bottom 1/3 big ten team which is where we were prior to Pike. We leave out his bad X and O and inability to coach a competent offensive team for 9 years
He doesn’t have a declining record five years in a row. He’s had one bad season in five years for the reasons stated. Obviously if he has multiple losing seasons in a row the seat would get hot. Thats not what has happened and is not going to happen. You can rant all you want but talking hotseat is dumb.

The obvious issue has been since the beginning of coach’s tenure is offense. The defense is elite, no doubt. It’s common for opponents to go several minutes without scoring. RU almost never capitalizes on this major opportunity. Suspect offensive scheme and untimely substitutions kill momentum. With the type of offensive players coming in there will be no excuses. I wouldn’t say immediate top 10 team but expectations will be high. The glaring issue I see as a result of a poor system is forced shots that sometimes fall and sometimes do not. There has to be at least some identity as to what RU is doing. I’ve seen little evidence of what that clearly is.
Spot on comments.I would add the lack of player development for players that have been at Rutgers for multiple seasons.

He doesn’t have a declining record five years in a row. He’s had one bad season in five years for the reasons stated. Obviously if he has multiple losing seasons in a row the seat would get hot. Thats not what has happened and is not going to happen. You can rant all you want but talking hotseat is dumb.
Spot on. Arguably - the team also overachieved in 2019-20 as absolutely nobody pegged them as NCAA caliber preseason. No team improved every single year. That’s impossible. Hot seat with his resume at RU is ridiculous. He’s still far closer to getting a statue built on campus for what he’s done for the program than getting the boot. A lot closer.

Reality is only two players got better as the year went on. Gavin and JWill ( wonder what a full season would have shown?).
Davis, minus FTs also got significantly better as the season went on. His defense is elite.

This team also clearly has gotten really worn down. Before the season started Pikiell said multiple times that this was going to be an 80pt team a night. That never happened and they clearly had to adjust their physicality on defense because of it, which is why I think they had a 10 man rotation a lot of the season

Pike should be and is on the hot seat. He needs to have a big year next season or he should be gone. Simple
Seriously? The guy and his staff can flat out recruit and it is not like we are rolling in NIL $s like some of the programs he is competing against. So, he had an off year, big deal, we ain't Duke, next year we will be right back towards the top of the conference and all these "fans" calling for him to be on the hot seat will look like fools.

in all fairness he would have been in the tourney covid year (slam dunk) and he should have been in last year (but failed down the stretch).
Next year his A$$ is saved by NIL however what about all the promises the year's before about why we had to have this ABS Practice Facility to get players and win?

Yes time to put up or shut up. I'll support him another year pending. But frankly I think he is an average P5 coach at best.
We are glad he has your 1 year of support. We all feel so much better now.

Seriously? The guy and his staff can flat out recruit and it is not like we are rolling in NIL $s like some of the programs he is competing against. So, he had an off year, big deal, we ain't Duke, next year we will be right back towards the top of the conference and all these "fans" calling for him to be on the hot seat will look like fools.
We’re bringing in the second or third best recruiting class in the country and our coach should be on the hot seat. Yeah right.

We also didn’t have the upgraded facilities and we were not buying top 2 recruits as well as charging 160k for tickets. Wake up , big time college hoops win or your out. Pike set the standard and has reached it 1 in 9 years and has regressed badly over the last 5 years. Facts
Who is paying 160K for tickets?

I am glad Pike has relationships and grass roots support to "buy" the #2 and #3 HS players.

Reactions: ancienthooper
Pikiell is a great spokesman for Rutgers University.He was able to finally get a NCAA bid for the mens basketball program after 30 years of waiting.The basketball program has been gaining respect in the B1G Ten.This season has been very disappointing. Hopefully with Bailey and Harper, there will be excitement and winning at a high level next season.Recruiting and player development determine success or failure.Pikiell and his coaching staff will face tremendous pressure to meet expectations .There will be no do overs when Bailey and Harper leave.

Reactions: ancienthooper
Davis, minus FTs also got significantly better as the season went on. His defense is elite.

This team also clearly has gotten really worn down. Before the season started Pikiell said multiple times that this was going to be an 80pt team a night. That never happened and they clearly had to adjust their physicality on defense because of it, which is why I think they had a 10 man rotation a lot of the season
His defense has been drastically over credited. He was destroyed last night, and pretty often down the stretch. He was however, very good for a freshman that shouldn't have had to be out there.

Ridiculous. He is NOT on the hot seat. Silly comment.

I always assumed that poster is either an alternate ID or troll as he only comes here to post negative stuff about Pike.

This was expected to be a down year (at least by most - and that happened) - followed by a top recruiting class coming in next season. Coming off 30 years of ineptitude prior to Pike - do people now expect a continual slope of improvement or suddenly and not have down years? RU remains challenged compared to peers regarding level of resources and institutional support needed to maintain success year on year.

As much as RU fans want to make it out to be.....any sustained success in college sports success is not all on the coach. Resources and money drive everything in terms of competitive advantage - even more so now with NIL and the Transfer portal. How people want to put him on the hot seat now and can overlook the almost miraculous level of recruiting class level ranking coming in next season is mind boggling to me in terms of the job Pike is doing. Rutgers is #3 nationally - the other schools in the Top 20 almost all have significantly higher support/resource/benefactor/history of success levels.

Pretty laughable thread. Do you really think this is the roster Pike wanted or thought he’d have this season? Once we turn over the roster for next season, we’ll be fine. As I’ve said since game 1, this is a poorly constructed roster for more reasons than just the skill we see on the floor. Don’t be surprised to see only 4 guys returning.

Pikiell has entered the expectation phase of his tenure. It's easier to go from bad to respectable than it is to go from respectable to great. Now the real work starts.

The hot seat talk is ridiculous. This program is light years from where it was for 30 plus years before he got here.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Pretty laughable thread. Do you really think this is the roster Pike wanted or thought he’d have this season? Once we turn over the roster for next season, we’ll be fine. As I’ve said since game 1, this is a poorly constructed roster for more reasons than just the skill we see on the floor. Don’t be surprised to see only 4 guys returning.
As I said I love Coach Pike and still do. That said you have to the play of Hyatt, Cliff, Simpson who not only played better last year, the are regressing as this year goes on. Also Hyatts body language is awful

• Haha
Reactions: Luvscarletknights
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT