ADVERTISEMENT

If Corey parts at season's end

jerzeyguy

All Conference
May 18, 2008
What's the plan to replace him. Baker is not a pg and Mathis is likely not ready to step right in. I have feeling Corey may be ready to move on. Hopefully not because he's still our best ball handler and go to scorer.. By far.

My gut tells me that Pike and co will probably have already prepared for the eventuality by scouring the JUCO ranks for a replacement. Also, although nothing has been made public they may already have had conversations with him about his future, one would hope, and as such alternatives are being planned. In either case, staying or going, I don't think the staff will be caught unprepared. Plans may or may not work out but I have to think plans are being made.

Whether he stays or goes, I think our roster is in a much improved position compared to last season. It would be been damn near catastrophic if he left last season. Can you imagine what our team would have looked like

As much as the rac rocks when Sanders is on, his shot from 3 and 2 will be easy numbers to try to replace. Well see what happens.

Reactions: bac2therac
As much as the rac rocks when Sanders is on, his shot from 3 and 2 will be easy numbers to try to replace. Well see what happens.

Bingo. If Montez Mathis is only hitting 42% on 2s and 21% on 3s then we're going nowhere.

Whether he stays or goes, I think our roster is in a much improved position compared to last season. It would be been damn near catastrophic if he left last season. Can you imagine what our team would have looked like

We finished in the bottom of the league with him. We can finish in the bottom of the league without him .

Speaking of point guards, i see that Jose Alvarado got hurt pretty bad in the Duke game. Something with his elbow, they would not even show it on replay. They rushed him to hospital.

Fractured elbow out for the season:

www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22408463/georgia-tech-jose-alvarado-miss-remainder-season-fractured-elbow
I was talking to the Georgia Tech publisher, he was at the game, and he said the injury was pretty bad. Said Alvarado tried to stop a dunk, got lifted higher and fell straight on his arm.

With more offensive options next year, and another offseason of development (actually spent with the team), Sanders might improve his FG% and assist numbers to draw more attention after his senior season.

I think staying would help raise his stock (plus give him a degree) - but remains to be seen what he does.

With more offensive options next year, and another offseason of development (actually spent with the team), Sanders might improve his FG% and assist numbers to draw more attention after his senior season.

I think staying would help raise his stock (plus give him a degree) - but remains to be seen what he does.

Staying for his senior year to get his degree and staying at Rutgers in the offseason for individual work with B. Knight, Karl Hobbs, and coach Pikiell would do him wonders.

In theory you are right but in reality doubt a comparable or better replacement is found for next season.

Corey needs to understand that the value of his degree will take him further than basketball will, with his NBA dream probably fading.

CS will play pro ball...in France or Spain or Germany. It's his best short term option. What a lot of people don't understand about Corey is that beyond the rap star persona is a VERY SMART and ENGAGING young man that will have a lot of doors open for him after the game is over.

That said, those doors stay closed if he doesn't graduate. I know the powers that be are trying to make sure he considers all his options very seriously. I have faith in both CS and those people to help the right decision get made.

Corey needs to understand that the value of his degree will take him further than basketball will, with his NBA dream probably fading.

CS will play pro ball...in France or Spain or Germany. It's his best short term option. What a lot of people don't understand about Corey is that beyond the rap star persona is a VERY SMART and ENGAGING young man that will have a lot of doors open for him after the game is over.

That said, those doors stay closed if he doesn't graduate. I know the powers that be are trying to make sure he considers all his options very seriously. I have faith in both CS and those people to help the right decision get made.

As always- excellent insight. Thank you.

amen...and I do believe this is true....he can be a success beyond ball.

Reactions: higgins3
My guess is that Corey leaves with the idea of eventually earning an RU degree. He is so unpredictable on the court that I think in the long run it will be good for the team should be decide to leave (good for him, too IMO). What would hurt more would be the loss of him and Mike together. There seems to be some—not sure fire—confidence that MM could step in. Soul is not (SHOULD NOT) be a twelve minute per game guy. Can Kiss handle at all?

Reactions: socaldave
Corey has been incredibly inconsistent this year. I honestly believe he is far better than he has performed. I think he should stay because IMO his inconsistency may come from his trying to carry this team and be the man on every play. Next year, IF, and I mean IF, we have a decent perimeter game with more consistent shooting he can be more himself. I really think an improved team with him on it will also improve him. I fully understand if he leaves for a European pay check but I think he could raise his stock if he stays. It is a bit of a crap shoot though since we really don' t know how improved our shooting will be, but if we are better next year, he will be better too.

I hope ... and think Corey stays. I been saying how special his senior year could be and being drafted into the NBA isn't happening at this stage for him. I hope he just sees how special a senior year could be and how much more he'll develop on & off the court.

On the court, if he improves at the same rate from this past offseason and if the team plays up to its potential .. Corey could make first team all-league. Nobody can take that + a degree away from him. That's a lifetime worth of memories and job opportunities for just one more year on the banks.

I hope ... and think Corey stays. I been saying how special his senior year could be and being drafted into the NBA isn't happening at this stage for him. I hope he just sees how special a senior year could be and how much more he'll develop on & off the court.

On the court, if he improves at the same rate from this past offseason and if the team plays up to its potential .. Corey could make first team all-league. Nobody can take that + a degree away from him. That's a lifetime worth of memories and job opportunities for just one more year on the banks.

Ok, A lifetime of Job Opportunities, well if someone connected to the program helps him out then maybe. But he still has to earn real jobs if basketball is not his means of living.

If he does stay, he'll have a chance to cement a place in the RU record book with career Top 5 rankings in scoring, assists, and steals.

I was talking to the Georgia Tech publisher, he was at the game, and he said the injury was pretty bad. Said Alvarado tried to stop a dunk, got lifted higher and fell straight on his arm.
That's what happens when you don't go to Rutgers. Pikiell would've shown him the proper way to stop the dunk haha

We finished in the bottom of the league with him. We can finish in the bottom of the league without him .
Corey has been the team's best player for the past three seasons, the face of Rutgers athletics during the darkest days, and pretty much the only reason to go to the RAC. The endless bashing of him is moronic. Instead of Corey leaving early, I wish some of you guys would leave instead - like now.

I wonder if he’s having any fun. The pressure of being the guy every single possession with no help has to wear physically and mentally. And frankly, it is certainly less than obvious that anything might change next year. I think he goes off and gets paid somewhere. And RU hoops will actually do more poorly next year as a result.

Good to see hoops fans are also clueless. He carries this team. Hope he stays though I think we have built some young talent and depth.

Listen I know he is not a great shooter. But people are just taking for granted how great of a ball handler he is. He never gets trapped we never have an issue with a press these were things we always had to consider pre Corey.

It kills me to say this, but Cory's best option is to get his degree and leave as a graduate transfer to another team that would surround him with talent. It would allow him to showcase what he is capable of and play in the Big Dance.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
It kills me to say this, but Cory's best option is to get his degree and leave as a graduate transfer to another team that would surround him with talent. It would allow him to showcase what he is capable of and play in the Big Dance.
That require him graduating now after only 3 years in school.

I haven't seen any real improvement in his ability to go to his left. He might as well stay one more year to work on that and maybe catch fire in his senior year like UConn's Shabazz Napier for any chance at the NBA, or at least improved overseas league offers.

That require him graduating now after only 3 years in school.
I don't believe he is any position to do that..

Options:

1) Leave school and go pro
2) Transfer somewhere and sit 1 to play 1
3) Finish career at Rutgers with a degree and "Top 5" statistics, then play professionally

As a rose colored Rutgers fan, hard to see a better outcome than 3 for 3

I don't believe he is any position to do that..

Options:

1) Leave school and go pro
2) Transfer somewhere and sit 1 to play 1
3) Finish career at Rutgers with a degree and "Top 5" statistics, then play professionally

As a rose colored Rutgers fan, hard to see a better outcome than 3 for 3
I'd be shocked if Sanders transfers/sits a year and delays any pro money.

He should go pro overseas. He’s not making the NBA. He’ll be making $100k+ and can always come back and finish his degree. That’s a pretty good life I would say.

Reactions: Rokodesh and Goku
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT