ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to start Gavin?

Who should start at the 4 if Mag is out?

• Hyatt

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • Griffiths

Votes: 89 84.8%
  • Oskar

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • #FreeChol

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
One regular season game left, senior night, Gavin won’t start that one. Expect the seniors to start.

and now I think he is over Hyatt on the depth chart. His D was bad last night, but he is giving effort.

you were only heckled by me....believe me I am the king of cherry picking....I do it all the time.
Haha yes just messing around!

It’s time to unleash Gavin. Hoping we go NIT so he gets valuable tournament experience

and now I think he is over Hyatt on the depth chart. His D was bad last night, but he is giving effort.

you were only heckled by me....believe me I am the king of cherry picking....I do it all the time.

Gavin's defense was better than Hyatt last night. Terrible game all around by Andre.

Unfortunately, this is the last home game and senior night, so Hyatt will almost certainly start. Curious if Pike puts in all the guys who are running out of eligibility or graduating as starters for at least the first couple of minutes.

As far as performance, though, over the last 5 games Hyatt has gotten 22.8 min to Griffith's 20.6. Adjusting to 40 min:
Hyatt: 12.6 pts (.333 FG%, .176 3P%), 5.6 rb, 1.8 ast, 2.1 stl, 0.7 blk, 2.5 tov, 1.4 pf
Griffiths: 14.4 pts (.364 FG%, .409 3P%), 7.4 rb, 2.7 ast, 0.8 stl, 1.9 blk, 0.4 tov, 2.3 pf

I definitely think Griffiths has earned the start, at the very least for the B1G tournament.

Reactions: Jerseylegends
Haha yes just messing around!

It’s time to unleash Gavin. Hoping we go NIT so he gets valuable tournament experience
NIT? Now as nice as that might be for some fans it is a huge disappointment . We had positive momentum and shat the bowl.

And comparing our other starters over the last 5 games, adjusting to per 40 min, sorting by pts:

JW: 20.3 pts (.549 FG%, .167 3P%, .750 FT%), 3.6 rb, 3.3 ast, 2.1 stl, 3.6 tov, 5.2 pf
CO: 13.7 pts (.545 FG%, .714 FT%), 9.7 rb, 1.0 ast, 1.7 stl, 2.7 blk, 1.3 tof, 4.3 pf
AH: 12.6 pts (.333 FG%, .176 3P%, .688 FT%), 5.6 rb, 1.8 ast, 2.1 stl, 0.7 blk, 2.5 tov, 1.4 pf
JD: 10.3 pts (.417 FG%, .167 3P%, .625 FT%), 5.3 rb, 1.3 ast, 2.0 stl, 2.0 tov, 2.0 pf
DS: 6.2 pts (.229 FG%, .250 3P%, 1.000 FT%, 4.6 rb, 2.3 ast, 2.3 stl, 1.6 tov, 2.9 pf

GG: 14.4 pts (.364 FG%, .409 3P%, 1.000 FT%), 7.4 rb, 2.7 ast, 0.8 stl, 1.9 blk, 0.4 tov, 2.3 pf

Reactions: Jerseylegends
NIT? Now as nice as that might be for some fans it is a huge disappointment . We had positive momentum and shat the bowl.
I mean it happens. Not every year is going to be a March Madness. For a program that has gotten into March Madness multiple years in a row and now has championship aspirations next season, an NIT in between that really has no shame.

I mean it happens. Not every year is going to be a March Madness. For a program that has gotten into March Madness multiple years in a row and now has championship aspirations next season, an NIT in between that really has no shame.
We did this last season as well I thought?

You speak as though we have been a consistent player in the post season. 3 years ain’t squat by most standards. When old farts like me see this type thinking sure it sounds great but the reality is we can’t figure next season as a sweet 16 or better run.

You speak as though we have been a consistent player in the post season. 3 years ain’t squat by most standards. When old farts like me see this type thinking sure it sounds great but the reality is we can’t figure next season as a sweet 16 or better run.
I very much agree we want March Madness. I mean it’s what we care most about. I totally get that. All I’m saying is that for a season people halfway through said was over done and fire Pike, getting to NIT would be a win. It’s not NIT of the past either.

As a self proclaimed “old fart”, wouldn’t you have paid to have RU in the same company as many of these teams just even 4-5 years ago?

It's not just that. He's confident. He grabs rebounds. His D has come along leaps and bounds the last few weeks. He had a beautiful assist down low to Cliff.

He takes a few too many bad shots for me still but at least he's starting to hit some now.
He plays with his head up and is a good passer.

Also an underrated shot blocker. I’m convinced he purposely lets guys get past him slightly so he can block their shot.

And, he gets called for fouls even when he gets all ball, because he’s usually to the side or behind the shooter, so the refs go to automatic whistle mode.

Not really… that’s a fan’s perspective in order to salve the wound. We did the same… we played poorly when we needed to show more last year. At this time we are beginning to set a pattern . Streaky but can’t do what other teams have shown at season’s end. The Mag, DS , A.Williams , Woolfolk , Hyatt saga’s just have made it tougher. We seem to have more injuries than ever.

No offense to this player but hope this senior night is his final one at Rutgers.

I actually don’t care that much if Gavin starts. What I do want to see is plays actually run for him and our guards to look for him coming off screens.

This season more than past seasons, when Rutgers has actually ran set plays, they’ve been effective at getting open looks. Unfortunately, they’re not usually called for Gavin. It’s time to start to see what he can look like as the off ball weapon he should be next season.

The 5 game numbers go back to being not so great.

108 minutes 35 points 9-24 3 12-36 overall 6/1 A/to 1 stl 5 blk 2 oreb 16 dreb

Gavin definitely took a huge step backwards yesterday. His D waas awful and he continues to lose every 50/50 ball possible. Last 5 games he got 20+ minutes in 4 of the 5 games. The only game he didn't we won by 30. Yes vs Michigan.....

The potential is there but if he doesn't toughen up and play better D he is going to have to be really good offensively to be a player that helps us win.

I sit two rows from the court and have watched up close all season GG play home games. My impressions are not good. I won't even address his lack of scoring and rebounding. My main concern is that he plays with little emotion and almost zero physicality. In fact, when he if coming up court without the ball his body language is terrible, that is, expressionless face with his shoulders virtually stooped forward as he heads to the corner of the court where he for the most part stays fixed in place. He appears slow of foot and lacks quickness. He will need to take quantum leaps forward from a S & C standpoint (i.e., a diet of T-Bone steaks and metal plates). I want the team to win so I hope he becomes an effective player for us. And yes, I acknowledge he is a true freshman, albeit a much heralded one, and because of that the jury remains out. However, for the reasons stated I am not confident the eventual verdict will be a positive one.

Reactions: kcg88
I sit two rows from the court and have watched up close all season GG play home games. My impressions are not good. I won't even address his lack of scoring and rebounding. My main concern is that he plays with little emotion and almost zero physicality. In fact, when he if coming up court without the ball his body language is terrible, that is, expressionless face with his shoulders virtually stooped forward as he heads to the corner of the court where he for the most part stays fixed in place. He appears slow of foot and lacks quickness. He will need to take quantum leaps forward from a S & C standpoint (i.e., a diet of T-Bone steaks and metal plates). I want the team to win so I hope he becomes an effective player for us. And yes, I acknowledge he is a true freshman, albeit a much heralded one, and because of that the jury remains out. However, for the reasons stated I am not confident the eventual verdict will be a positive one.

He’s not slow. He actually covers a lot of ground with his long strides and has the ability to get to the basket. Agree he’s not quick, but not many players at his height are quick. He definitely needs to get more physical and aggressive. He also needs to make some darn shots.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
The physicality seemed to improve a little last couple games, but yeah, I'm not seeing much of a fire in him. I sense this season has been completely overwhelming for him. Let's see if he starts to put things together in the off-season, bulk up a bit, and comes back with some confidence/swagger.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
This is a nitpicking thing… but when he comes to the bench he doesn’t go down the like everyone else does then take a seat… he did it maybe once that I’ve seen at home. Now… is it just a minor thing or a chemistry thing? I dunno, but if everyone else does it, so should he.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT