ADVERTISEMENT

"it will take a pretty significant collapse to make this anything but academic"

Local Shill

Hall of Famer
Aug 30, 2001
Easton Avenue's finest gin mills
the good thing is we dont need a #1 seed. All we need to be is #68. Then again if we get the PIG i guarantee some people will still complain.

Tbf we need better than #68 because of auto-bids. Also, the play-in game would definitely be a disappointment at this point.

compared to alot of other power 6 schools, RU has put themselves in very solid position entering the last half of the conference schedule. The danger is some teams go on runs and pick up quality wins toward the end of the season. You to have finish and show you belong. This team is certainly capable of doing that.

I feel like most of these "experts" have no idea what the rest of our schedule looks like. If they did, they wouldn’t be making statements like this.

Of the remaining 9 games, I can see us only being favored in 3 of them. Maybe even just 2.

Reactions: Rutgers25
I feel like most of these "experts" have no idea what the rest of our schedule looks like. If they did, they wouldn’t be making statements like this.

I have been saying this for weeks. It is the difficulty of our remaining schedule that protects us. The NET does not penalise teams harshly for losing to good opponents, especially on the road. AND the opportunity for some big wins is there.

If the goal is to get to the tourney and you don't care how, just protect the RAC. Most important remaining game is home against NorthWestern. Lose that and it gets troublesome.

Reactions: Scarlet83
This is Rutgers . We are historically pathetic . Good chance we collapse and it started Saturday at MSG. We won’t make this easy for our long suffering fans .

we lost one game..just sayin

we are likely to lose a 2nd game tonight on the road against the probable Big 10 winner.

stop jumping off of ledges
We have also only WON one road game. ONE. That is a problem. It’s February 4. There aren’t a lot of opportunities or sure things on the road the rest of the way.

TAKE WITH A GRAIN OF SALT!!!!!!!!!!!

bart has us with a WAB of 1.2 (wins above bubble)
all things equal.....
with a win tonight we move to 1.95
with a loss tonight we move down to .95
with a loss to MD and NW we are .15

Reactions: gregkoko
Who signs up for 1-4 in next 5 road games....2-8 overall on the road?

Ask a risk averse guy with emotions involved I might need to find the pen. As a quant guy I can't sign.

Who signs up for 1-4 in next 5 road games....2-8 overall on the road?

Ask a risk averse guy with emotions involved I might need to find the pen. As a quant guy I can't sign.

I would. Just give me 3 of 4 at home and one on the road. 4 more wins with one of those specifically on the road. Pen please

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I would. Just give me 3 of 4 at home and one on the road. 4 more wins with one of those specifically on the road. Pen please

I hear you.....
We will be playing teams that I think we are better than AND potentially a Purdue team playing out the string.

If Purdue enters 13-15 8-11 the game would be only relelvant to possibly keep them from having to win 5 B1Gt games.....I really don't think that puts the hunger in you

Reactions: Scangg
The drop in AP votes has me concerned. It signals to me that the recognition of the quality ball we've been playing is very soft. And I think that probably is representative of selection committee members.

With so many Big Ten teams with cases for the Tourney.. you know the reps from other conferences on the selection committee will be looking for reasons to discount Big Ten teams.

We have to finish strong.

The drop in AP votes has me concerned. It signals to me that the recognition of the quality ball we've been playing is very soft. And I think that probably is representative of selection committees.

With so many Big Ten teams with cases for the Tourney.. you know the reps from other conferences on the selection committee will be looking for reasons to discount Big Ten teams.

We have to finish strong.

the ap poll is meaningless to anything to do with the selection committe

voters vote for top 25 not top 35, 34 ranking is meaningless. All it means is less people voted RU in the top 25...why should ru be ranked in the top 25...we were 25 and we lost

Reactions: Local Shill
Paraphrasing from the Athletic's writeup of this story. https://theathletic.com/1580808/2020/02/04/bubble-watch-the-state-of-the-bubble-is-fine-actually/

Rutgers (15-6, 7-4; NET: 28, SOS: 40): Rutgers has so thoroughly, solidly established itself as a likely tournament team under Steve Pikiell that it’s sometimes easy to forget you’re talking about Rutgers. To wit: Last week’s home win over Purdue was the Scarlet Knights’ 16th of the season. (One came against non-D1 Caldwell, and doesn’t count for the purposes of the NCAA selection committee, but does still technically count as a win.) That’s one more than Rutgers has had in any season since 2006. And it’s just barely February. Often, these sorts of NCAA Tournament breakthroughs come with a healthy dose of drama, for a team that just barely gets over the line. For Rutgers, it will take a pretty significant collapse down the stretch to make this anything but academic come Selection Sunday.

"Collapse" is pretty strong and implies choking. If you're only favored in one of the remaining games that's not collapsing if you lose most of them.

the ncaa selection committee is not a charity, you have to earn your way in. Rutgers is well positioned at this point to get in, the handwringing is annoying...save it for if RU losses to Northwestern

I think the team is good enough to get one or two road victories before the end of the season but honestly if someone told me they go 4-0 at home, 0-5 on the road, and 1-1 in the conference tournament I wouldn't completely hate it.

Reactions: Scangg
Trying to think positive thoughts.....and one at a time.

Barring a significant injury (knock, knock), Rutgers should be able to hang in there down the stretch but nothing should be taken for granted. Must grind out each game if need be. That's the personality of this team as well as playing with a chip on its shoulder.

The tentative, alligator arms lack of a finish at the end of many solid drives in a very friendly environment at MSG has me concerned. I hope I’m very wrong it’s an indicator of a change in the offensive psyche for the team. (The coach’s contribution on the defensive end to a lack of confidence with an exaggerated over rotation has already been well documented.)

The more people are in doom and gloom mode the more it makes me think we actually show up tonight. Its like a post Pitt game vibe now. This team gets to embrace its scrappy underdog mentality against Maryland tonight. If the shots start falling this could be the game that gets our mojo back in a big way

If not, there's always Northwestern

Just win by one or more or lose by only single digits and the sky will not fall.

Michigan was NOT a home court advantage..team was not comfortable with the court , the rims, depth perception. Etc. much friendlier confines to Michigan team that has played a lot more on that court. No need to panic..we must neat them at home however, as well as Northwestern, Illinois/Maryland..I think OSU is our best bet for road win, although we have won a few times at Penn St. before. I don’t think the whistles will be too friendly at Wisconsin, and they’ll have some Annoying 3 point corner shooter that will make things difficult..but find one game on the road, or two in BTT..

The more people are in doom and gloom mode the more it makes me think we actually show up tonight. Its like a post Pitt game vibe now. This team gets to embrace its scrappy underdog mentality against Maryland tonight. If the shots start falling this could be the game that gets our mojo back in a big way

If not, there's always Northwestern

its amazing that one loss by 6 points has created such turmoil, I am not aware the rest of the conference either has either one or zero losses

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT