ADVERTISEMENT

MATCH THREAD: #12 RU @ #14 Illinois, 2 pm, BTN +, matchups:

EHH. 23-12 with 5 starters out. Not bad.

Only slight disappointment was Van Brill 157 and not because he wrestled poorly. This is the second time he has completely out wrestled his opponent and lost because he put himself in a bad position for big points.

If he ever gets that fixed he's AA material next year. And I didn't like the strategy to go for back points. Get the riding time cut him lose and try for the TD to send it into OT. He was outwrestling that kid and had plenty of time to get it done once he achieved riding time.

Last edited:
Reactions: elvis7 and rondi
Any update on the heavyweight score? Team score?

Finally!!!! Ladies are up big ... now 6-5 in league ... big games against OSU and MD ... it’s about time a team has a chance for a winning B1G record!!!

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Geesh...board becoming unreadable again. Did any of you have the flu??? Ever think MAYBE there are circumstances beyond their control. Wrestlers want to wrestler. Shit happens. Chances are if one is sick, others are sick/not feeling well.

Have faith & put away your pitch forks. Better yet, turn it off & go have a drink. Geesh.

Go RU!
Diane
Personally have no issue with Suriano and haven’t seen anyone on him about that. People are more upset with Richie who has no excuse not to wrestle today or DeLuca for missing weight and had a very winnable mafch.

With that said I give credit to all the reserves who wrestled hard and well today and were right in all the matches outside of Donner who obviously had no shot but Santos, Scott, and Messner all wrestled well.

Everyone needs to chill out...again. DeLuca was noticeably limping last match. Better to keep him out. Richie tweaked something last match. Watch the match. He took injury time. No problem with him sitting out. Ditto for Gravina. Stop with the vitriol and support the team/at least give them the benefit of the doubt. I’m sick and tired of all the negativity from people sitting on couches. We won four matches. And, if JVB wrestles a bit smarter we win 5. Our back ups wrestled tough. Great job Anthony M, Nick Santos and Willie Scott. Everyone wrestled hard. Let’s get the team healthy and ready for March. Go RU

Everyone needs to chill out...again. DeLuca was noticeably limping last match. Better to keep him out. Richie tweaked something last match. Watch the match. He took injury time. No problem with him sitting out. Ditto for Gravina. Stop with the vitriol and support the team/at least give them the benefit of the doubt. I’m sick and tired of all the negativity from people sitting on couches. We won four matches. And, if JVB wrestles a bit smarter we win 5. Our back ups wrestled tough. Great job Anthony M, Nick Santos and Willie Scott. Everyone wrestled hard. Let’s get the team healthy and ready for March. Go RU

THIS!
Go RU!
Diane

If Nick wrestles there is at least a 6 Point swing and DeLuca beats Barbone with one arm so the score would have been 18-14 us

Reactions: PSUPOWER
If Nick wrestles there is at least a 6 Point swing and DeLuca beats Barbone with one arm so the score would have been 18-14 us
Which Nick? If your talking Suriano then it's at least a 9 pt. point swing. If it's Gravina then I agree a 6 pt. swing. He would have had Parker coming off an illness. He wasn't impressive today.

Everyone should take a look at Michigan’s lineup in their dual against Nebraska today as well.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Don’t understand bunching your panties about a dual? As if it counts for anything ...

Not sure if we are hearing Coachspeak or the truth from Goodale related to Lewis and DeLuca. If you ask the kids in the team, these two kids often don’t practice with the team. If they were hurt or not, they don’t bring the right work ethic to practice. Can’t dodge the truth. Hope they do well at NCAAs and that we don’t have other kids next year with their habits. The are not good examples for their younger teammates. Glad we have the two Nicks and AA when he can practice fill tilt. Would rather have back-ups that give 110%. I realized that we aren’t the only team that has these issues.

Don’t understand bunching your panties about a dual? As if it counts for anything ...
I hope those in the program never see it like this. Over 8K people went to Rutgers’ last duel. The duel season Is what extends the wrestling team’s following from that small circle of hard-core wrestling fans who might travel to a tournament to the more casual fans that fill up most of that arena. If the duel season is undervalued, a ton fan support will be lost, and a ton of revenue. If the team is expected to treat them like exhibitions, the attendance will erode quickly.

I hope those in the program never see it like this. Over 8K people went to Rutgers’ last duel. The duel season Is what extends the wrestling team’s following from that small circle of hard-core wrestling fans who might travel to a tournament to the more casual fans that fill up most of that arena. If the duel season is undervalued, a ton fan support will be lost, and a ton of revenue. If the team is expected to treat them like exhibitions, the attendance will erode quickly.
I would hope that Goodale would have done the same thing as he did today against PSU if kids were injured or sick. Sorry, the program is measured by B1G championship weekend and the NCAAs. Without anyone at the last few weights, tough to be a dominant dual team.

Dude DeLuca did not make wt. I know that for a fact. Richie well he mentally lost. Take the rose colored glasses off.

Reactions: obrats and pish69
http://www.nj.com/rutgers/index.ssf/2018/02/rutgers_illinois_wrestling_nick_suriano_out.html

This will curb the early rumor mill about the reasons why certain guys weren't wrestling.

Doesn’t really curb it for me. Basically Goodale said some guys had some non serious nagging injuries and ONLY when he knew when Nick wasn’t wrestling he decided against sending out the other guys. That’s a cop out or coachspeak. Whatever it is it stinks

If they were good enough to go if Nick were wrestling it seems they should have gone without him

Everyone should take a look at Michigan’s lineup in their dual against Nebraska today as well.
They didn’t wrestle, Nebraska wrestled Michigan State. Michigan wrestled Nebraska Friday night with all the starters in the line-up.

Let’s face it ..those two are in their own world ..they don’t give a rats ass about team ..I don’t care if he is all world or whatever he won .. he is all about himself ..when people say weeks ago and I saw it as well and when it’s been talked about in the stands that he would dodge this match and it actually happens ..that’s all I need to know about the kid .. no heart ...you wanna be the best ya gotta beat the best and he hasn’t got a prayer with his worK ethics and lack of heart ..he goes up a weight since he didn’t wanna do the work to stay at 157 ...now he dodges Imar ..coaches need to re-evaluate who they bring in from now on ...
Right on. No Heart

Thoughts:

Our team's attitude is either amazing (Suriano, Gravina, JVB)... Obnoxious (De Luca and Lewis)... or lacking confidence (SDV, Grello, MVB).

I am actually eager for deluca and lewis to get out of the room. When talented guys don't think they are the same as everyone else, the team gets worse. There is a difference between attitude/edge and unearned cockiness. We have the latter.

I am a big Tony Robbins fan, and he talks alot about approaching life with gratititude. The PSU guys always say "I am grateful for the opportunity to compete". No entitlement. Kyle Snyder? Same. I sense a lot of entitlement from certain guys and thats not healthy. I hope we have real leadership next year....

and no, Ashnault doesn't fit that bill to me. He is a DeLuca Lewis clone with more talent.

Thoughts:

Our team's attitude is either amazing (Suriano, Gravina, JVB)... Obnoxious (De Luca and Lewis)... or lacking confidence (SDV, Grello, MVB).

I am actually eager for deluca and lewis to get out of the room. When talented guys don't think they are the same as everyone else, the team gets worse. There is a difference between attitude/edge and unearned cockiness. We have the latter.

I am a big Tony Robbins fan, and he talks alot about approaching life with gratititude. The PSU guys always say "I am grateful for the opportunity to compete". No entitlement. Kyle Snyder? Same. I sense a lot of entitlement from certain guys and thats not healthy. I hope we have real leadership next year....

and no, Ashnault doesn't fit that bill to me. He is a DeLuca Lewis clone with more talent.

why the venom towards our own guys? or are you pretending to be rutgers fan?

deluca has an injured knee. have you wrestled with injured knee? sure he could have won, but he could also have gotten injured and we don't have a good backup in that weight. lewis is a star. he didn't shy away from competing against joseph and won plenty of tough matches. you think he's ducking imart? he's ducking no one, and they'll see each other at the b1g championship. delvec, grello and mvb lacking confidence? are you kidding me? and what about ashnault? he could have gone to anywhere, and he comes to rutgers and gives his all.

why the venom towards our own guys? or are you pretending to be rutgers fan?

deluca has an injured knee. have you wrestled with injured knee? sure he could have won, but he could also have gotten injured and we don't have a good backup in that weight. lewis is a star. he didn't shy away from competing against joseph and won plenty of tough matches. you think he's ducking imart? he's ducking no one, and they'll see each other at the b1g championship. delvec, grello and mvb lacking confidence? are you kidding me? and what about ashnault? he could have gone to anywhere, and he comes to rutgers and gives his all.

Injured knee? No. Injured shoulder? Yes. I still can't throw a ball more than 40 feet and its been 15 years and 2 surgeries.

Del Vecchio isn't wrestling with the "go get it attitude" that won him 2 state titles. He is much better than he is showing in my opinion.

MVB seems afraid to take shots and wrestle his match. Goodale said it too a few weeks back. Same with Grello.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, but Ashnault's tough guy attitude is a bad look. Speak softly and carry a big stick... not be loud and carry a big stick.

RUs 3x AA has earned the right to have whatever attitude he wants. I don't think ED and RL have that right.

Yes, I am an RU fan. Does that mean I have to wear scarlet colored glasses? there is a right and a wrong way to approach things and I think we need more JVB approaches and less "some other guys" approaches.

Joking aside, without surmising anything into situations I have no knowledge of, I really question the decision of JVB going for back points. He should have cut the kid right away and gone for 2 and the win. It makes no sense to me to try to turn him in that situation.

Reactions: koleszar
Joking aside, without surmising anything into situations I have no knowledge of, I really question the decision of JVB going for back points. He should have cut the kid right away and gone for 2 and the win. It makes no sense to me to try to turn him in that situation.
I thought the same. One slight correction he lost 7-6 with riding time. So if he let's him up and goes for the takedown it was to send it into overtime. Which I believe would have been the correct move at that point once he re-secured riding time. He was really outwrestling Langendefer. Most of his points came from the one big move which Van Brill allowed by putting himself in a horrible position.

Agreeing is easy. I'll be very interested to see the first disagreement between grapknight1, harelyr1 and/or kenwood1. That should be a good read.
Not sure what that’s supposed to mean ..I dont even get why grapknight and matter are even still in this forum....it’s obvious they are PSU fans who kill RU on their board then come here giving opinions no one really cares about ...just because he agrees with my opinion of RL doesn’t make him an ally of mine ...RL lack of heart and dodging Imart is obvious to many here and Deluca missing weight issue is also disheartening ..he wasn’t hurt ..he missed weight ...again ...I am a RU fan and I don’t like what happened this wknd ..who would ...make all the excuses you want for both but if I’m paying to see a dual then I expect the best we have to be there or I’ll stay home ....don’t expect attendance to rise with the attitude that duals mean nothing

Not sure what that’s supposed to mean ..I dont even get why grapknight and matter are even still in this forum....it’s obvious they are PSU fans who kill RU on their board then come here giving opinions no one really cares about ...just because he agrees with my opinion of RL doesn’t make him an ally of mine ...RL lack of heart and dodging Imart is obvious to many here and Deluca missing weight issue is also disheartening ..he wasn’t hurt ..he missed weight ...again ...I am a RU fan and I don’t like what happened this wknd ..who would ...make all the excuses you want for both but if I’m paying to see a dual then I expect the best we have to be there or I’ll stay home ....don’t expect attendance to rise with the attitude that duals mean nothing
For you information I hate PS wrestling. I never post on thier forum. I stated DeLuca missed wt no excuses and RL avoided Imar. I not knocking anybody else on the team. I believe the two are arrogant and march to the beat if their own drummer and are A bad influence on the team.

Last edited:
For you information I hate PS wrestling. I never post on thier forum. I stated DeLuca missed wt no excuses and RL avoided Imar. I not knocking anybody else on the team. I believe the two are arrogant and match to the beat if their own drummer and are A bad influence on the team.
Take it down a notch. When you get in a pissing contest you both get wet. Too many trolls stirring it up on here.

Thoughts:

Based on your comments about Anthony I'm willing to bet that you have never had a conversation with the young man. Anthony is well grounded and a team first guy. You are also off the mark on the three you claim lack confidence. Two are freshman and getting their legs more under themselves with each bout. Scott was, is, and always will be an private guy. The only emotion he shows is immediately after a big win and that lasts about 5 seconds. You are entitled to your opinion but the knock on these guys is off the mark in my opinion.

Thoughts:

Reactions: elvis7
Based on your comments about Anthony I'm willing to bet that you have never had a conversation with the young man. Anthony is well grounded and a team first guy. You are also off the mark on the three you claim lack confidence. Two are freshman and getting their legs more under themselves with each bout. Scott was, is, and always will be an private guy. The only emotion he shows is immediately after a big win and that lasts about 5 seconds. You are entitled to your opinion but the knock on these guys is off the mark in my opinion.

Confidence in their abilities on the mat is what I meant... as in they don't seem to be wrestling aggressive. Not confidence as people. When Scott goes after it in the third and has success, I wonder what is stopping it from happenning in period 1. Maybe he is feeling them out. I am not referring to anything but confidence on the mat and in themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT