ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA now considering MSG a HOME game

The point of getting a high seed is to be able to play in the Regionals at the Garden. If we can’t win at the Garden, then what difference does it make where we play?
Getting a high speed doesn't impact what region you're in as far as I know, other than the 1 seeds. It DOES, however, give you favorable geography for the first two rounds.

It's bullshit. I can't believe it.

Penn State got hit with a home game because they controlled gameday ops and ticket sales.

If Michigan in 2020 was neutral how the hell is this any different?

I'm on team @G- RUnit now
Not sure how Fonseca could write this article without referencing the 2020 Michigan game. That’s really bad reporting.

Reactions: G- RUnit
That only matters if we are on the bubble.
You have two otherwise identical teams. Team A is 4-1 at home, 1-1 neutral. Team B is 5-1 at home, 0-1 neutral. Team A would in all likelihood get the higher seed of the two. That’s why it matters, I don’t know how you can possibly argue this. Argue that the impact is likely to be minimal if you want but don’t bury your head in the sand.

Not sure how Fonseca could write this article without referencing the 2020 Michigan game. That’s really bad reporting.
Agreed. If the UM game was a B1G away game for us and a NET away game for us, while the MSU game is a B1G and NET home game for us, I'm fine with it (more than fine with it as I've said many times). But if both games are/were NET home games for us, that's just wrong. We have incomplete info here.

No it could be the difference between a 4 and a 5 seed and/or a 6 or 7 seed not to mention the S curve. It’s a big deal. Throw that in with the blown officiating Ohio State game (And hangover loss to SHU) you begin to see how the B1G really doing RU a significant disservice. That’s not whining it’s facts. RU should do everything in its power that this never happens again.

Agreed. If the UM game was a B1G away game for us and a NET away game for us, while the MSU game is a B1G and NET home game for us, I'm fine with it (more than fine with it as I've said many times). But if both games are/were NET home games for us, that's just wrong. We have incomplete info here.
Carino has it right:

Rutgers basketball getting raw deal against Michigan State? Big Ten responds​

Reactions: Scarlet83
Everyone is acting like this game is MAKE or BREAK where we’re playing in the Tourny. It won’t be. Relax.

There’s no vendetta against us…we’ll be placed where we’re deserved come March.
MSU, at Indy, at Illinois … tough 3 games

Reactions: darkcheck
Furthermore, if it's a home game the introductions better reflect that. Lights FULLY on for MSU's starting lineup. Lights off, spotlight on and our home intro for when our guys get announced

This.

If this is a home game Rutgers should essentially have control of everything.

Our logo should be on the court, we shouldn’t see any MSU fans or cheerleaders on the big screen, PA guy should be the guy at the RAC and announcements, advertising etc. should be about Rutgers.

You know that won’t happen. We will be at the fingertips of good olde MSG and it will feel like a neutral site game when it comes to all of the above.

This.

If this is a home game Rutgers should essentially have control of everything.

Our logo should be on the court, we shouldn’t see any MSU fans or cheerleaders on the big screen, PA guy should be the guy at the RAC and announcements, advertising etc. should be about Rutgers.

You know that won’t happen. We will be at the fingertips of good olde MSG and it will feel like a neutral site game when it comes to all of the above.
Exactly. Hobbs better step up here.
Ship has already sailed from season tix to getting trains or buses for students to noon start. We had absolutely no control and now it’s our home game. SMH.

Another reason we got hosed is we didn’t have control of ticket sales.

Thus Rutgers was initially limiting tickets to this game through the ticket office to only season ticket holders with a max of 4 tickets per account.

I get people could have bought through Ticket Master (which I did) but if it’s a home game we should have control and ability to sell tickets to everyone and anyone through our ticket office. We should be given a massive allotment for student tickets.

I’m assuming MSU was given similar allotment/access to tickets as we were.

Another reason we got hosed is we didn’t have control of ticket sales.

Thus Rutgers was initially limiting tickets to this game through the ticket office to only season ticket holders with a max of 4 tickets per account.

I get people could have bought through Ticket Master (which I did) but if it’s a home game we should have control and ability to sell tickets to everyone and anyone through our ticket office. We should be given a massive allotment for student tickets.

I’m assuming MSU was given similar allotment/access to tickets as we were.
Yep! Why did we have to buy tix after we already paid for season tix. Inquiring minds want to know. It’s the principle not the money. Just a mess. Hobbs should have put foot down with this crap.

Furthermore, if it's a home game the introductions better reflect that. Lights FULLY on for MSU's starting lineup. Lights off, spotlight on and our home intro for when our guys get announced
Yep. This is how it was for Penn State at the Palestra. Penn State band was there, not Purdue's. Penn State had a student section. Purdue didn't.

Last edited:
This will be the worst officiated game outside of the OSU disaster, hands down.

This will be a gift for MSU.
Another legitimate fear. Less likely to get away with that season long, decade long, crap at the RAC.

I have continually said that we should stop festering over
other teams strength ratings, and where we look to be
on NCAA brackets, etc

just go out and win....win, don't keep looking around....lets get a single digit NCAA bid, and you do that without worrying if
a game is considered a neutral site, or home.

Essentially, Rutgers is playing a home game without the benefits of hosting on its home court.

Only 4000 RU expected seats sold? Yeah in an arena of that size the advantage won't be great. Why self anointed basketball geniuses thought this was a great idea I'll never know except for their need to relive the old Bigeast days. That's a UCONN type obsession thing.

Reactions: NYCKnicksFan
Only 4000 RU expected seats sold? Yeah in an arena of that size the advantage won't be great. Why self anointed basketball geniuses thought this was a great idea I'll never know except for their need to relive the old Bigeast days. That's a UCONN type obsession thing.

No 4000 directly through Rutgers.

There will be probably just as many if not more Rutgers fans who bought directly through Ticketmaster.

• Haha
Reactions: NYCKnicksFan
I have continually said that we should stop festering over
other teams strength ratings, and where we look to be
on NCAA brackets, etc

just go out and win....win, don't keep looking around....lets get a single digit NCAA bid, and you do that without worrying if
a game is considered a neutral site, or home.
This is exactly my point. Winning will take care of itself. Thank you!

for an arena that holds nearly 20000--8000 is nice but half empty

We should be able to bring 15K fans but even if we have 8-10K it will still but fun, loud and a great atmosphere.

Will you be there or just participating in the game thread whining about attendance?

Reactions: itsRtime
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT