ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Recommends Women’s Wrestling As An ‘Emerging Sport’

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
The NCAA committee on women’s athletics recommended this week that all three divisions add women’s wrestling as an emerging sport, a key step toward making it a championship-level sport. If the recommendation, which was made on Monday, is approved, women’s wrestling as well as acrobatics and tumbling would be added as emerging sports Aug. 1, 2020.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/06...ling-emerging-sport-colorado-state-university

We really should be working on this ASAP. No reason we can’t win Championships when this becomes an official sport.
Rutgers can't even fund what they have now properly and you want them to add sports?

Reactions: newell138
We really should be working on this ASAP. No reason we can’t win Championships when this becomes an official sport.
Double header with the Men’s team a few times a year ... one of the best venues around in the sport!!!!!

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Adding Rutgers wrestling for girls and hockey for guys—make it so.
This. I’m not even a big hockey guy, but I know Rutgers should have a hockey team. NJ fluctuates between 7th/8th in the nation in D1 hockey players. I understand the money/Title IX challenges, but for the love of God figure it out!

RUBaseball, I get what you are saying,but what I would like to see is Pat Hobbs say we have a plan for a hockey program WHEN the money becomes available. A short range plan with the arena in Trenton or Newark as a temporary home and a long range plan with an arena on campus.

Reactions: PSUPOWER
Until RU adequately funds the sports it has, adding new sports shouldn't even be a consideration.

I agree in the case of hockey as that will be a significant investment, not for women’s wrestling which I don’t think will be a significant investment (we already have the facilities).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT