ADVERTISEMENT

Football OFFICIAL: Fran Brown headed to Georgia

This is going to hurt. The 12th hour push to get him to stay should have been done long before the 12th hour. I just hope this new Joe DC who seems to have a bright future does more than just be a DC. There's always going to be coaching turnover through movement or non-retention, but this is getting to be quite a lot.

and our Top 4 star LB recruit Bridgeman who has visited 6 times just got a Georgia offer. Good Times.

Sucks.. yes.. and retaining efforts were probably done, and maybe should have pushed harder. But... did anyone think he was going to say after all his recruiting success and publicity he got over the past year? No.. this was inevitable .. if not the Temple job (which he came close to getting) then something else was going to be around the next corner.

Look-up any successful coach on Wiki and you see they didn't stay in one place for very long
They are practically nomads
Coaches will come and go - its part of the scene
Look at what Saban goes through every year as his coaches get picked-off

"Brown spent the past two seasons with Rutgers, coaching in his home-state of New Jersey. Brown also has coached at Temple and Baylor, working primarily with defensive backs. He will replace Jahmile Addae, who left Georgia after one season to coach at Miami.

This will be the fourth defensive back coach Georgia has hired in the past five seasons"

Last edited:
Reactions: fsg2
And our Top 4 star LB recruit Bridgeman who visited like 6 times just got a Georgia offer.
Agree this is bad news. But if you want to put a silver lining on it:
1 - Going to an elite out of conference program is better than if he went local or stayed in the Big 10.
2 - It was bound to happen sooner or later
3 - It's happening at a time when the previous recruiting class is locked in and we're just getting started with the next one. So while Fran will poach guys like Bridgeman, we aren't necessarily recruiting many of the same guys as Georgia (see point one).

This one hurts. We need a strong South Jersey presence to fill this spot. Going to be tough this late in the game

Frank Brown, good Coach... but this program isn't depedning on man except GS and how he executes his strategy and those that come along for the ride. I know some people were sad, and others are happy for him to leave as the talk of him going was a distraction as well.

Secondary coach … I know he was a great recruiter (elite really) … but to be honest, how many times were our guys beat deep this year? How many big plays did we give up, multiple per game. From a scheme perspective, not the absolute end all be all so it is what it is

And our Top 4 star LB recruit Bridgeman who visited like 6 times just got a Georgia offer.

Good Times.👍

Agree this is bad news. But if you want to put a silver lining on it:
1 - Going to an elite out of conference program is better than if he went local or stayed in the Big 10.
2 - It was bound to happen sooner or later
3 - It's happening at a time when the previous recruiting class is locked in and we're just getting started with the next one. So while Fran will poach guys like Bridgeman, we aren't necessarily recruiting many of the same guys as Georgia (see point one).
4-recruits should take note- will Fran even be at Georgia 2 years from now? Are you going to the school where you will be there for at least 3 years, possibly 4-6 years, for the school, or are you going there for a position coach who may be gone in 2 years to his next job?

Reactions: redking
He is now a co-DC. Why would he come here to be a DB coach?
He is not co-DC. He is "Associate Head Coach."

"Aazaar Abdul-Rahim enters his second season as defensive backs coach and defensive pass game coordinator. In March, head coach Jeff Hafley announced that Abdul-Rahim has also been elevated to associate head coach."

To answer your question- 💰💲💰💲💰💲

Coming from someone with zero inside knowledge as to the recruiting class, how do "ace recruiters" like Fran Brown succeed if they're always leaving? If I was a high school student, I'd feel like someone's a snake oil salesman if they're constantly coming in and leaving almost immediately.

You're not 17.

Reactions: RW90 and koleszar
Did the Miami Dolphins keep Anthony Campanile after head coach was fired ?

Coming from someone with zero inside knowledge as to the recruiting class, how do "ace recruiters" like Fran Brown succeed if they're always leaving? If I was a high school student, I'd feel like someone's a snake oil salesman if they're constantly coming in and leaving almost immediately.
His ambition is probably to be a HC and he is an outstanding recruiter. You want to keep a coach like that? Promote him to coordinator level. Greg Schiano was hired as Miami‘s DC at what 32? After being a DB coach at PSU and the Bears. I understand they paid him very well, but good coaches are interested in advancement most of the time.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
He going to take anyone with him?
Looks like Fran is honing in on Bridgeman 1st, the 4 star LB who has visited us 6 times already just got an offer from Georgia. Not sure what other 4 stars he was involved in for Rutgers but I'm sure they'll all be targets soon.

As for current team, there's no one except maybe Melton who would crack the 2 deep and maybe not even the 3 deep.

Secondary coach … I know he was a great recruiter (elite really) … but to be honest, how many times were our guys beat deep this year? How many big plays did we give up, multiple per game. From a scheme perspective, not the absolute end all be all so it is what it is

Worth remembering that GA HC Kirby Smart was an All SEC DB for Georgia so I imagine he saw things he liked about Brown's coaching as well as recruiting. GA isn't that hard to recruit

wonder why he was being considered for head coaching jobs but didn't get the DC job or a promotion here.....strange.

Best of luck to him. Hope GS learned his special sauce and we can hire the next great recruiter/coach.

wonder why he was being considered for head coaching jobs but didn't get the DC job or a promotion here.....strange.
Just spitballing here, but my suspicion is that we all knew that Fran was only going to be here a short time. Not sure that a promotion would have changed that.. Perhaps Greg wants to invest in people he sees here for more than a season or two

Just thankful for what be did for us and wish him well (except when he is going against us)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT