ADVERTISEMENT

Football OFFICIAL: Fran Brown headed to Georgia

Not if you don't want Georgia recruiting the hell out of New Jersey. They didn't hire Fran to recruit California, that's for sure.
I don't think some understand this dynamic, you now have one of the best NJ recruiters working for the National Champs, who have an unlimited budget, huge NIL potential, and a rabid fan base. It is not like he is going to give us a break and not recruit NJ and Eastern PA. Again, we will survive, but we probably would have been better off with him at Temple, big difference between recruiting for a G5 school and the National Champs out of the SEC.

What is up with that Tiquan tweet. Lots of Rutgers fans giving him hell for it and Wormley thought it was funny. Something happened behind the scenes

• Wow
Reactions: PA_Fanatic
I don't think some understand this dynamic, you now have one of the best NJ recruiters working for the National Champs, who have an unlimited budget, huge NIL potential, and a rabid fan base. It is not like he is going to give us a break and not recruit NJ and Eastern PA. Again, we will survive, but we probably would have been better off with him at Temple, big difference between recruiting for a G5 school and the National Champs out of the SEC.
I guess we won't be beating out Georgia for any NJ recruits anymore.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
FIFY

And if you notice, he will be working with the DBs under Drew Muschamp, former HC at Florida and South Carolina, who is Co--defensive coordinator and Safety's coach That's a lot of experience to work under and learn while you're recruiting like hell.
I think it will be helpful for his career learning under Smart and gang. It's a national championship team and perennial contender.

He gave us two years (and I think this is what Greg asks for). The more guys get exposed to different programs the better they'll be in the long run (although it must be tough to move around all the time). He just signed on with the defending national champs. Hard to fault the guy.

Now we need to replace him with a top-notch recruiter. Losing him and Underwood in the same year isn't a good look. Agree with others that something may have happened behind the scenes too.

I am not even sure what Ti tweeted or said to deserve that. I mean that.. I see what "Kyle" and "wiskeybravo" tweeted.. I think.. but have no idea how that relates to Ti. I don't see much twitter stuff.

Oh.. is Tiquan Underwood saying Fran Brown leaving is a like a funeral for Rutgers and Schiano?

I guess he did not leave for Pitt by choice and is bitter.. is that a proper read of things? (I really do not know).

Last edited:
I am not even sure what Ti tweeted or said to deserve that. I mean that.. I see what "Kyle" and "wiskeybravo" tweeted.. I think.. but have no idea how that relates to Ti. I don't see much twitter stuff.

Oh.. is Tiquan Underwood saying Fran Brown leaving is a like a funeral for Rutgers and Schiano?

I guess he did not leave for Pitt by choice and is bitter.. is that a proper read of things? (I really do not know).
Ti posted this picture and this “wisckybravo” guy explained what the picture originally means.

Reactions: redking

ti tweeted that picture of the guy at his rivals' funeral to make sure his haters are actually dead.

it's a joke meme but there's obviously a reason he posted it today when Fran leaves and ex players like Wormley quote the tweet laughing

Kyk is actually right in this situation. Underwood would be nobody without Schiano. College Scholly, NFL Job, D1 Coach. He literally built his whole career. For him to post that as a shot today is just not right

**** Tiquan

ti tweeted that picture of the guy at his rivals' funeral to make sure his haters are actually dead.

it's a joke meme but there's obviously a reason he posted it today when Fran leaves and ex players like Wormley quote the tweet laughing
So who did Ti have a problem with.. GS or Brown? I understand the photo now.. thanks everyone.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Can you blame the guy? He goes from RU…and up and comer with a good future down the line to the national champs and a stable of top tier talent…you would have jumped at the chance too!

• Love
Fran's title at RU was Secondary Coach. Does he have a lesser role at Georgia with the same title?

While it may be viewed as a sideways move, it's better for the resume to have Goergia than Rutgers on it. He's hoping this will be a springboard to a DC position. Let's face it, Schiano passed him over for a younger DC with one Co-DC year of experience. Basically, his career was stalled here, now he's trying to push it forward and no better way than to put that name on your resume.

Reactions: Knight Shift
So who did Ti have a problem with.. GS or Brown? I understand the photo now.. thanks everyone.
Schiano is the one in a weakened position so it would be him.

Fran is getting a raise most likely and moving to the national champs so in no way is he worse off

Reactions: RutgersNo1
Schiano is the one in a weakened position so it would be him.

Fran is getting a raise most likely and moving to the national champs so in no way is he worse off
Well.. if Ti and Fran had issue working together.. it could be something that simple. This ain't some opera. At least I hope not.

Good for Fran, good move for him in terms of adding to his resume, probably not ready to be considered as a DC, so not much you can do, celebrate that he gave us two good years, Greg has already addressed the recruiting aspect with the new DL line coach and Shaw hire.

Ti knows Fran is going to be a HC soon. Seems to be social media ass kissing to me hoping to part of Fran’s staff when to get a head spot. But I’m old I guess so what do I know

This is why a recruit should never commit to a school based on a coach. Coaches are hired guns these days and will bail the second they get a better offer.

Saw the quote tweet from Wormley, and also Aslan Pugh, but he was not laughing.

This all may be much ado about nothing. You know how some people who leave a company (or get let go by a company) either connect on social media or get together and like to think their former company is a sinking ship every time someone leaves the company, and the ship never sinks? That's at least what this seems like. If that is what Underwood's tweet is about, whatever.

As far as Wormley, whatever makes you feel good. There is a reason he is not longer at RU.

Some would be wise to follow the Teddy Roosevelt saying: Speak softly and carry a big stick.

The ones who don't do anything are always the ones who try to put you down. Greg Schiano and Rutgers will be fine.

Good luck to Fran Brown on his journey.

Reactions: redking
The coach is who you play for? You think they should pick schools because of a good library?
Coaches are just one item on the long checklist. Different people have different priorities. For my kids, it will be academics first, strength of program/team second, and coaching staff third. If you are only going to a school because of one assistant coach then be ready to hit the transfer portal.

Five coaches leave the staff in year 2? I assumed Smith, Panagos and Scheier were desired departures. Still not clear on Underwood. Brown obviously not. Regardless, I recall that GS 1.0 churned through coaches at a consistent rate. Does anyone else recall him having a rep as a micro manager and not necessarily in a good way? I thought he might have even acknowledged this at one point and was making an effort to let the assistants do their jobs.

I realize it is part of the business, but losing 5, still needing to hire 2 and, also supposedly wanting to realign responsibilities of the existing staff, seems like a lot to do at this point in the off season calendar. You would think he has the budget for one significant hire and one lower level coach or staff promotion.

Five coaches leave the staff in year 2? I assumed Smith, Panagos and Scheier were desired departures. Still not clear on Underwood. Brown obviously not. Regardless, I recall that GS 1.0 churned through coaches at a consistent rate. Does anyone else recall him having a rep as a micro manager and not necessarily in a good way? I thought he might have even acknowledged this at one point and was making an effort to let the assistants do their jobs.

I realize it is part of the business, but losing 5, still needing to hire 2 and, also supposedly wanting to realign responsibilities of the existing staff, seems like a lot to do at this point in the off season calendar. You would think he has the budget for one significant hire and one lower level coach or staff promotion.
some go because they're not a good fit or didn't live up to expectations .
Some go because they feel their next job will help their career more.
Some just don't like the hours they are expected to put in as the HC tries to make the program better.
Sometimes it's not the time put in as much as not feeling the offense/ defense scheme fits your coaching style and leave before being looked on as a failure.
Also the job you are doing brings many suitors and you feel leaving will advance your career better.

Most successful HCs have a bit of micro-managing in them.
A lot of not so successful coaches have that in them as well.
Succeed on the field, you're p[raised for that trait.
Don't do as well as wanted, that's an offense that won't be forgiven.

Schiano micro-managed RU FB to respectability.
But it was blamed for his not making RU a powerhouse

Saw the quote tweet from Wormley, and also Aslan Pugh, but he was not laughing.

This all may be much ado about nothing. You know how some people who leave a company (or get let go by a company) either connect on social media or get together and like to think their former company is a sinking ship every time someone leaves the company, and the ship never sinks? That's at least what this seems like. If that is what Underwood's tweet is about, whatever.

As far as Wormley, whatever makes you feel good. There is a reason he is not longer at RU.

Some would be wise to follow the Teddy Roosevelt saying: Speak softly and carry a big stick.

The ones who don't do anything are always the ones who try to put you down. Greg Schiano and Rutgers will be fine.

Good luck to Fran Brown on his journey.
Don’t think anyone know what he meant by the tweet.

Kyk is actually right in this situation. Underwood would be nobody without Schiano. College Scholly, NFL Job, D1 Coach. He literally built his whole career. For him to post that as a shot today is just not right

**** Tiquan
You don’t think he would have gotten a scholarship without GS. How can you project would he would become if he didn’t attend Rutgers. A man makes himself, another person can’t do that for him.

You don’t think he would have gotten a scholarship without GS. How can you project would he would become if he didn’t attend Rutgers. A man makes himself, another person can’t do that for him.
He damn sure would've been a somebody without Greg. Rutgers benefited from Tiquan coming here too.. Theirs a reason why Greg wanted him as a player and coach. And its a reason why Pitt (who is currently in a better situation than us) hired him. Tiquan never needed Schiano

Coaches are just one item on the long checklist. Different people have different priorities. For my kids, it will be academics first, strength of program/team second, and coaching staff third. If you are only going to a school because of one assistant coach then be ready to hit the transfer portal.
So, Rutgers with Chris Ash is pretty much Rutgers with Greg Schiano? Because the academics haven't changed nor, essentially, has the reputation of the program. I agree that assistant coaches come and go, and that somebody as a recruiter is not the same thing as that somebody as a coach, but coaching staffs are a critical part of the decision, especially for kids who aspire to play on Sunday.

Fran might be back in the B1G in a few years as a HC. Smart move on his part, was going to happen sooner or latter. For those who underestimate his finger print on the Schiano 2.0 recruiting success, I think they may be in for a bit of a surprise. However, the program will push forward, it always does, if it could survive Chris Ash it can survive losing a valuable recruiter.
Don’t think his first HC job will be in the Big 10

So, Rutgers with Chris Ash is pretty much Rutgers with Greg Schiano?
I don’t think most folks knew, at least initially, what a disaster Chris Ash was going to be. And the team did not have the talent to compete based on his recruiting. So, in that case, academics would not have been enough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT