ADVERTISEMENT

Football OFFICIAL: Fran Brown headed to Georgia

The impact is negative as we lose a top recruiter that isn't easily replaced.

In terms of perception, and wondering if this is a sign that something is amiss, I don't think it's bad. Assuming that there is always upward mobility for top assistants, Greg and most top head coaches ask that their assistants make a two year commitment in their current positions. It's assumed that they will be looking to move on and up. Moving to a higher title, or a higher level program, is expected.

If Fran had moved to PSU or one of the teams we are trying to climb over, that would have been bad. But even though we are all P5 schools, moving to Georgia or Alabama is clearly a career building step up.

So it would have been another example of exceeding expectations if GS had been able to keep an all-star up and comer like Fran in a normal DB Assistant role here for more years. GS can't exceed expectations every time. This is just par for the course.

Last edited:
Another case where we need to take a look at the bigger picture. We redid his contract once already after his first year. Did we give him a bump while he was considering Temple or did we assume that was not something we could compete against if that came his way? So I think we were paying him in the neighborhood of $700K? And now we were going to give him another bump? Where does this end for a DB coach in college? $1MM+?

Yes he was an excellent recruiter but maybe he realizes that NIL is a game changer in recruiting and that his strengths might be mitigated without a solid NIL program behind him. Not going to be an issue at Georgia and about 20 other programs but what about the rest? Yes we will get another revenue boost from TV and that will provide for higher coaching salaries, but I just don't see us prospering in this environment. We are going need to make good decisions on 3 star recruits, develop them well and regularly use the transfer portal to remain competitive.

Reactions: Jimpeg and eddynyse
Coming from someone with zero inside knowledge as to the recruiting class, how do "ace recruiters" like Fran Brown succeed if they're always leaving? If I was a high school student, I'd feel like someone's a snake oil salesman if they're constantly coming in and leaving almost immediately.
Assistants like Brown are great and getting talent intreated in playing for the program that are at, then the HC usally is the one to seal the deal.
Not saying Brown isn't a good recruiter, but adding Schiano is the one to convince the recruits that they are a good fit for the RU FB program and will thrive in it.
Fran reels them in,Greg nets them so they don't get away.

Right now it looks like Brown will be missed, lets see who replaces him before we go all doom and gloom.
Rememnber every top program has to replace good assistants many times and if the program is on top of things, they won't skip a beat when bringing in replacements
Georga replaced 4 DB coaches in last 5 years and didn't go down

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
Sad that it's a lateral move to another program, hopefully he's getting more money out of it.

• Wow
Reactions: jtung230
Coming from someone with zero inside knowledge as to the recruiting class, how do "ace recruiters" like Fran Brown succeed if they're always leaving? If I was a high school student, I'd feel like someone's a snake oil salesman if they're constantly coming in and leaving almost immediately.
All coaches leave and players now have that option as well. Good move for him, if he can get the job done at GA he will have more opportunities to advance

Fran might be back in the B1G in a few years as a HC. Smart move on his part, was going to happen sooner or latter. For those who underestimate his finger print on the Schiano 2.0 recruiting success, I think they may be in for a bit of a surprise. However, the program will push forward, it always does, if it could survive Chris Ash it can survive losing a valuable recruiter.

Reactions: Jimpeg
A typical career trajectory would be DB Coach / DC / Head Coach. Rutgers had a DC spot open up this year. Fran didn't get it and a younger person did who has one year power five DC experience. Time will tell how long the new DC will be here. He was only at Minny for two years. Georgia's DC who just left was only there for two years. Who knows, we could be looking for a new DC in two years and Fran may be a candidate with CFP experience or even a national championship under his belt.

A typical career trajectory would be DB Coach / DC / Head Coach. Rutgers had a DC spot open up this year. Fran didn't get it and a younger person did who has one year power five DC experience. Time will tell how long the new DC will be here. He was only at Minny for two years. Georgia's DC who just left was only there for two years. Who knows, we could be looking for a new DC in two years and Fran may be a candidate with CFP experience or even a national championship under his belt.
Fran's title at RU was Secondary Coach. Does he have a lesser role at Georgia with the same title?

• Wow
Reactions: Ash_Hole
When our fans and alumni start donating like Georgia fans and alumni we can complain that a 700000 paycheck to an assistant coach isn't enough.

Still would love to know why he was passed over for the DC spot- unless him leaving was always known/expected.

Think of recruiting as a Sales job. Top sales people have deep and strong networks that they constantly work and keep close to. It is not easy to do, but those that do it well deep connections with those in the networks. When they move, those in the network often will care less about the institution (company, school, etc) that they left or are going to and more about keeping up with the individual. This is critical as the first step in sales is being able to open the door for it.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Maybe he didn't have the chops for being DC

It's a huge jump from working with a position group to coordinating one whole side of the field. Sometimes people aren't ready or qualified. Case in point: WunderBoy aka Sniff and the Tears aka Drew Mehringer.

Reactions: LeapinLou
It's a huge jump from working with a position group to coordinating one whole side of the field. Sometimes people aren't ready or qualified. Case in point: WunderBoy aka Sniff and the Tears aka Drew Mehringer.
Found this on Duck Duck Go when I searched WunderBoy and worst case scenario.

"I am fired up to bring Drew Mehringer to Eugene. He is one of the top young offensive minds in college football with an impressive history coaching multiple different positions. He was once the youngest play caller in the Power 5, and that experience will be very beneficial as we develop our offense. Our student-athletes are going to love working with Coach Mehringer and will learn a ton from him both as football players and as young men. I am excited to welcome Drew and his wife, Morgan, to the Duck family, and want to congratulate them as they anticipate the birth of their first child together."

Maybe he didn't have the experience for being DC

FIFY

And if you notice, he will be working with the DBs under Drew Muschamp, former HC at Florida and South Carolina, who is Co--defensive coordinator and Safety's coach That's a lot of experience to work under and learn while you're recruiting like hell.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1coastalknight
FIFY

And if you notice, he will be working with the DBs under Drew Mehringer, former HC at Florida and South Carolina, who is Co--defensive coordinator and Safety's coach That's a lot of experience to work under and learn while you're recruiting like hell.
I think you meant Muschamp, not Drew Mehringer.

Found this on Duck Duck Go when I searched WunderBoy and worst case scenario.

"I am fired up to bring Drew Mehringer to Eugene. He is one of the top young offensive minds in college football with an impressive history coaching multiple different positions. He was once the youngest play caller in the Power 5, and that experience will be very beneficial as we develop our offense. Our student-athletes are going to love working with Coach Mehringer and will learn a ton from him both as football players and as young men. I am excited to welcome Drew and his wife, Morgan, to the Duck family, and want to congratulate them as they anticipate the birth of their first child together."

I hope they stocked up on tissue boxes!

Reactions: Jimpeg
No Hafley, No Fran. I would say I'm a little concerned -- but I've read Greg is the master recruiter, and has learned from Urban Meyer. Recruiting shouldn't be worrisome with The Master

What we feel might not be the point.
Fran Brown might have been disappointed at seeing someone else get the RU DC position and decided to leave because he felt he went as high as he could go at Rutgers and figured a program like Georgia would fast track his rise in the coaching ranks better than it would be as a Rutgers DB coach.
I look at the DC position going to another , and Fran looking at his coaching future, as the reason for moving to Georgia

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT