ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019-20 NY Mets Offseason "Hot Stove" Thread

Make the right pick for manager and a couple relief pitchers and I think this team is ready for a legit playoff run. Their not far away, and it would be interesting to see how the young players handle the playoff pressure, something you never really know about. Michael Conforto is the only one that has shown what he could do. He hit 3 HR's in 30 ab's, but the avg of .200 is not impressive.

Make the right pick for manager and a couple relief pitchers and I think this team is ready for a legit playoff run. Their not far away, and it would be interesting to see how the young players handle the playoff pressure, something you never really know about. Michael Conforto is the only one that has shown what he could do. He hit 3 HR's in 30 ab's, but the avg of .200 is not impressive.
All this is all well and good but my biggest worry for me is not actually the Wilpons but the GM who is treating this like MLB THE SHOW and must the THE MAN AT ALL COST. I agree that the Mets really have a shot of the playoff next year and even shouldve been in the playoffs this past season. But Van Numbnuts insistence of Cano, Diaz, and others in the begining of the season cost them the playoffs. Hes already off to a bad start to 2020 with his insistence of BEING THE MAN instead of hiring Joe Girardi. The combo of his BFF (Hinch) or the PERFECT PLAYMATE that he is looking for (who the hell knows by now) better have them in the NLCS next year or I'll participate in a protest like Rutgers Season Ticket Holders have done.

Re Hinch, has there been any report of actual interest? All I have seen so far is mere speculation.
It’s all speculative as Hinch is in the World Series and can’t comminicate on this matter. I believe he may be a bvw ex client and the Mets previously interviewed him and they liked him but he went to Houston. He’s still under contract wit the Astros and hence a trade would have to occur.

I wouldn't get your hopes up but we'll see. Hinch as manager and Beltran as bench coach could be fun.

Alonso probably gets traded for him though.

Reactions: tico brown
Well, you guys already screwed up #1.

I wouldn't get your hopes up but we'll see. Hinch as manager and Beltran as bench coach could be fun.

Alonso probably gets traded for him though.
SNY Headline (NO JOKE)

Sources: Tim Bogar has become a strong contender for Mets manager job

The Nationals coach is said to have interviewed well

[roll][roll]
https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/source...rong-contender-for-mets-manager-job/311292802
Why a joke? Bogar is highly respected in the game. Of the non-Girardi candidates his resume is arguably the strongest.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Why a joke? Bogar is highly respected in the game. Of the non-Girardi candidates his resume is arguably the strongest.
You must be new to these boards. :Sly:Remember when the last Rutgers coach interviewed well? How did that work out?

It was extreme sarcasm about people who interview well. Other than Beltran, who does not strike me as having strong leadership skills, I know nothing about the remaining candidates. Go for Bochy or go home.

Tim Bogar has Chris Ash written all over him
Please explain. Is he a poor recruiter? Will he dismantle Met traditions? Will his offensive decision-making be overly conservative?

Or, as I suspect, do you simply find him uninteresting?

I really don't care whether Bogar, or whomever is selected, interests me this fall. I want him to interest me NEXT fall.

Well, you guys already screwed up #1.
Why? You guys fired him and so did Miami,lol. Just looking for something to bust on. The Yankees might be in a bigger transition phase than the Mets. You guys might be looking to retool to a less all or nothing offense, and will be unloading current talent to get needed pitching if money doesn't bring what you need.

How many coaches that interviewed poorly got hired?
Bo Pelini got hired. Wonder how he interviews. Hopefully the AD does not wear black and white stripes.
PeliniHat.jpg
452540381.0.jpg

I'm fine with Bogar. I never liked Eduardo Perez on TV so he'd be my last choice out of everyone.

And of course as soon as I posted I see Bob Nigtengale from the USA Today tweeted that Perez is the clear front runner.

I'm fine with Bogar. I never liked Eduardo Perez on TV so he'd be my last choice out of everyone.
I guess that's as good a rationale as any insofar as folks like us are concerned. But you can understand that BVW and the Wilpons would apply different evaluation criteria.

I guess that's as good a rationale as any insofar as folks like us are concerned. But you can understand that BVW and the Wilpons would apply different evaluation criteria.
Wilpons criteria is who takes the job for the least money. Check box for Perez. Brodie criteria is who is my puppet. Check box for perez

Reactions: redking
Please explain. Is he a poor recruiter? Will he dismantle Met traditions? Will his offensive decision-making be overly conservative?

Or, as I suspect, do you simply find him uninteresting?

I really don't care whether Bogar, or whomever is selected, interests me this fall. I want him to interest me NEXT fall.

Just as with RU football, Mets should hire a manager with experience.

Just as with RU football, Mets should hire a manager with experience.
That is a fair opinion. But what is grossly unfair IMHO is to assume that just because a manager does not have experience, he will be the disaster that was Chris Ash.

Reactions: Zak57
That is a fair opinion. But what is grossly unfair IMHO is to assume that just because a manager does not have experience, he will be the disaster that was Chris Ash.

I meant comparing Ash in terms of managing/coaching experience. No one can be as big of a disaster as Ash.

Reactions: FrankZ
I think most fans around here want a "name". And more than anything else- wanted JG or a guy like Showalter because of BVW/Wilpon.

Girardi is sort of like Schiano in my book, high floor but low ceiling but gives the team a little more respect after looking like fools. And with the Met's, it really isn't MC who made us look like fools but the hiring of BVW.

Myself- don't really know enough about the "others" but how much does it matter when the two guys above the manager really want the control in everything that happens? It is sort of why I was leaning toward Beltran. Only because he has great respect of almost everyone in the game and relates very well with the younger players. He also understands NY media.

Bogar may be very good but just seems so damn boring to me. Not a reason not to want him but the Met's are so much more fun with a Manager with personality.

Why? You guys fired him and so did Miami,lol. Just looking for something to bust on. The Yankees might be in a bigger transition phase than the Mets. You guys might be looking to retool to a less all or nothing offense, and will be unloading current talent to get needed pitching if money doesn't bring what you need.
This got me thinking and as weird as it may sound for a 103 win team and back to back 100+ seasons, you may be right. We need middle relief, closer and CF - and if Diaz comes back to form a little, we may be ok with the closer. But still a major concern. But our lineup is fairly solid and balanced between HR's(Alonso/Conforto with big HR #'s and K's) - but at least they both Walk a lot too. And with contact with good power(McNeil/Davis should both be .300 25HR) Rosario is now set at SS, Nimmo is a concern but if healthy, he is a spark plug. And Ramos was really clutch with the bat.
Yankees- have a GREAT lineup if you take each piece as an indiviual. But can Judge ever stay healthy, 30 mil for Stanton(worse than our Cano mess) Which DiDi do you get and is there any possiblity that you get the same production from the hoards of backups that were amazing in 2019. And what to do about C and 1B? Gardner/Chapman/DiDi - sign them or let them go. Can the BP be as good again, Starters?

Yankees are build for a long regular season but have a hard time in a short series going head to head with top starters and teams that can also hit. So, I am sure they have another 95+ win season but most likely hard time in playoffs without a lot of changes.
Met's- cant say it is a better outlook but let's say they are 85-95 win team. Their concern is to make up just a game or two and getINTO the playoffs. But, if they do, that is where they could do very well in a short series.

This got me thinking and as weird as it may sound for a 103 win team and back to back 100+ seasons, you may be right. We need middle relief, closer and CF - and if Diaz comes back to form a little, we may be ok with the closer. But still a major concern. But our lineup is fairly solid and balanced between HR's(Alonso/Conforto with big HR #'s and K's) - but at least they both Walk a lot too. And with contact with good power(McNeil/Davis should both be .300 25HR) Rosario is now set at SS, Nimmo is a concern but if healthy, he is a spark plug. And Ramos was really clutch with the bat.
Yankees- have a GREAT lineup if you take each piece as an indiviual. But can Judge ever stay healthy, 30 mil for Stanton(worse than our Cano mess) Which DiDi do you get and is there any possiblity that you get the same production from the hoards of backups that were amazing in 2019. And what to do about C and 1B? Gardner/Chapman/DiDi - sign them or let them go. Can the BP be as good again, Starters?

Yankees are build for a long regular season but have a hard time in a short series going head to head with top starters and teams that can also hit. So, I am sure they have another 95+ win season but most likely hard time in playoffs without a lot of changes.
Met's- cant say it is a better outlook but let's say they are 85-95 win team. Their concern is to make up just a game or two and getINTO the playoffs. But, if they do, that is where they could do very well in a short series.
I believe the Yankees window is closing as it's hard to string so many 95-100 win seasons in a row. The Mets are ready to take the next step. A "proud" response in 3-2-1- I'm sure.

Reactions: redking
Angels close to signing Mickey Calloway,,,as pitching coach

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT