ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019-20 NY Yankees Offseason "Hot Stove" Thread

The Yankees are poised to make a run into the playoffs pretty much in every season under Cashman. That's the GM's job. The players have to get it done on the field in the playoffs. They had their chances against the Astros and blew too many chances with RISP.

Yep. Exactly this.

Reactions: ponyfoot19
Larry Rothschild fired. Great move. So many guys not panning out, not pitching to their potential. Hopefully the new guy can do a lot better.

When will they fire the training staff that presided over the most injury riddled team I have ever seen?

Need to get Gary Sanchez his own hitting coach that can convince him to become and opposite field hitter, Kid has so much talent and its being wasted.

Last edited:
David Cone. He would be the perfect guy to replace Rothschild. He’s the perfect blend of old school pitching feel with a mix of new age analytics.

Larry Rothschild fired. Great move. So many guys not panning out, not pitching to their potential. Hopefully the new guy can do a lot better.

When will they fire the training staff that presided over the most injury riddled team I have ever seen?

Need to get Gary Sanchez his own hitting coach that can convince him to become and opposite field hitter, Kid has so much talent and its being wasted.
Agree, about rothchild
Agree, about the trainers
SANCHEZ ?
Can,t teach somebody something
Who does not want to cooperate
Reminds me of Mark T

Agree, about rothchild
Agree, about the trainers
SANCHEZ ?
Can,t teach somebody something
Who does not want to cooperate
Reminds me of Mark T
I know Sanchez has a reputation but lets face it, the guy has to have some sort of work ethic. Catching is across a whole season is a tough slog. Plus, he's getting older, hopefully wiser. Just needs to embrace a new approach, the exit velocity of balls coming off his bat is other-worldly.

Imo, getting a left handed power hitter is a prime need. Either a 1B or LF.

With the guys coming back from injury... I don't think any of them will be enough to trade for a #1 or #2 SP. Just too much unknown.

I say it's Strasburg or bust in free agency.

Gotta laugh at the Boone/Cashman haters. Do changes need to be made, ABSOLUTELY, but these guys worked miracles this past season!

Reactions: Rutgers'02
The Yankees have clear needs, especially depending upon what happens with their free agents. However, with a few smart moves they can be clear World Series favorites as it looks like they aren't even in the market to bring Cole back which is surprising to me.

Gotta laugh at the Boone/Cashman haters. Do changes need to be made, ABSOLUTELY, but these guys worked miracles this past season!
I've never had any problems with Boone. He does what he was hired to do. Cashman issues were not getting a stud starter and Encarnacion, getting him and than keeping him in the lineup in the playoffs. But give him big props for DJ and Gio. Loved watching them this year.

I've never had any problems with Boone. He does what he was hired to do. Cashman issues were not getting a stud starter and Encarnacion, getting him and than keeping him in the lineup in the playoffs. But give him big props for DJ and Gio. Loved watching them this year.

To be fair, Encarnacion (when healthy) was really good for them in the regular season. He just flat out lost it for some reason in the ALCS.

To be fair, Encarnacion (when healthy) was really good for them in the regular season. He just flat out lost it for some reason in the ALCS.
Meh he was ok in the regular season. And wasn't needed at all. That last thing the Yankees needed was a DH. And there is zero excuse for sticking with him through the playoffs. It was obvious he was lost at the plate.

I think in part the Encarnacion move was to keep him from the Rays or Red Sox. The real error which was true for Stanton as well, was having them on the playoff rosters. I said at the time they shoiuld've been left off, and Tauchman and Ford included. They helped get you to party, and with Houston not having a left handed pitcher, made a lot more sense to me. I asked previously, who was this stud pitcher Cashman was supposed to acquire?, and at what cost? Look they had Sonny Gray who did well in Oakland, took a nose dive in the Bronx, and then makes the NL All Star team. Maybe it was Gray, maybe it was Rothchild, but not everyone is cut-out to pitch or play for the Yanks.

Reactions: czxqa
I think in part the Encarnacion move was to keep him from the Rays or Red Sox. The real error which was true for Stanton as well, was having them on the playoff rosters. I said at the time they shoiuld've been left off, and Tauchman and Ford included. They helped get you to party, and with Houston not having a left handed pitcher, made a lot more sense to me. I asked previously, who was this stud pitcher Cashman was supposed to acquire?, and at what cost? Look they had Sonny Gray who did well in Oakland, took a nose dive in the Bronx, and then makes the NL All Star team. Maybe it was Gray, maybe it was Rothchild, but not everyone is cut-out to pitch or play for the Yanks.
I don't think Cashman is that stupid to bring on players they don't need just to keep him from rival teams. That is a loser mentality. Weaken your team to prevent a rival getting him.

Meh he was ok in the regular season. And wasn't needed at all. That last thing the Yankees needed was a DH. And there is zero excuse for sticking with him through the playoffs. It was obvious he was lost at the plate.

They ended up needing him. Stanton missed most of the season and Voit was in and out of the lineup.

They ended up needing him. Stanton missed most of the season and Voit was in and out of the lineup.
Needed him lol. They had a team full of guys to play DH. It's your half day off. Sanchez, Judge, Gardner...

So you must be MetsAl.
Lmao, great comeback, I love it!!!!:ThumbsUp I did notice, you agreed with YankeeAl in the fact the Nats were done in 6, so I kinda think of you and YankeeAl making your picks by throwing darts. Here's YankeeAl throwing the dart for his next pick, and you waiting to see the results.:)
giphy.gif

Chapman gets an extra year, doesn't opt out. As excepted, he is staying with the Yanks. On the agenda:

1. Evaluate Betances - resign him or sign a bullpen replacement
2. Resign Didi and Gardy
3. Sign a big SP - MB, Cole, or SS
4. Sign or trade for a left handed bat (someone with good contact).

Am I missing anything?

Also, Yanks declines the option for EE. Perhaps he comes back at a lesser price? Probably not. DJ looks to be solid at 1st now.

Last edited:
Chapman gets an extra year, doesn't opt out. As excepted, he is staying with the Yanks. On the agenda:

1. Evaluate Betances - resign him or sign a bullpen replacement
2. Resign Didi and Gardy
3. Sign a big SP - MB, Cole, or SS
4. Sign or trade for a left handed bat (someone with good contact).

Am I missing anything?

I think you got most of it but also NEED to make sure there is a solid number 2 catcher. That was a season saver this past year.
Another question to consider...German, even though he is not even in the same zipcode as the FA SP's mentioned, did give you everything you could hope for and he will most likely not be there for at least the first half. Does signing a big FA give you more than he did in the first half of the season and do the Yanks now need to also find another solid middle of the rotation guy?

I think you got most of it but also NEED to make sure there is a solid number 2 catcher. That was a season saver this past year.
Another question to consider...German, even though he is not even in the same zipcode as the FA SP's mentioned, did give you everything you could hope for and he will most likely not be there for at least the first half. Does signing a big FA give you more than he did in the first half of the season and do the Yanks now need to also find another solid middle of the rotation guy?
I'm leaning towards signing Madison B for the last piece of the rotation than breaking the bank on one of the others:

Tanaka
Sevi
MB
Paxon
German? (after suspension)

Garcia, Happ, and Montgomery as other options. Definitely sounds like Garcia is the next Sevi. Very happy with this rotation!

Lmao, great comeback, I love it!!!!:ThumbsUp I did notice, you agreed with YankeeAl in the fact the Nats were done in 6, so I kinda think of you and YankeeAl making your picks by throwing darts. Here's YankeeAl throwing the dart for his next pick, and you waiting to see the results.:)
giphy.gif
Uh..if my picks were always correct my wife wouldn't have insisted that I quit betting on this stuff.

Strasburg has opted out. Let the bidding commence! Lots of really good free agent starters available. Cole, Strasburg, Ryu, MadBum, Keuchel, Porcello, Wheeler, etc...

Strasburg has opted out. Let the bidding commence! Lots of really good free agent starters available. Cole, Strasburg, Ryu, MadBum, Keuchel, Porcello, Wheeler, etc...
There are so many decent/good/great options out there, we better get at least 1 or maybe 2 pitchers of that crew. The only we can get 2 is if we dump Didi I'm assuming. I'm not sure what we're doing about that. My guess is that he's gone.

There are so many decent/good/great options out there, we better get at least 1 or maybe 2 pitchers of that crew. The only we can get 2 is if we dump Didi I'm assuming. I'm not sure what we're doing about that. My guess is that he's gone.

From a Salary/Luxury Tax standpoint, it will be difficult for the Yankees to sign one of those pitchers.....two is pretty much out of question. Yanks have somewhere around $5-10 mil to spend before they hit the Luxury Tax threshold (20% surcharge tax on salaries).....this is without counting a potential re-sign of DiDi, Gardner, Betances etc. Add another $20 Mil on top of that and the tax goes up to 32%.......add yet another $20 Mil and the tax goes up to 45%.

Strasburg and Cole will likely be $30+ mil a year guys (Strasburg is likely going to re-sign with the Nats who have salary space to add this). Going to guess that there will be a bidding war for Cole between Yanks and Dodgers and he will end up going for $35+ Mil in some massive contract.

A good back-up option will be MadBum who will be an excellent fit for the Yanks based on their bullpen strength as well as his Post Season performance history. He can be a 6 Inning pitcher during the regular season to save up for the PS. Probably can be had for $20+ Mil.

From a Salary/Luxury Tax standpoint, it will be difficult for the Yankees to sign one of those pitchers.....two is pretty much out of question. Yanks have somewhere around $5-10 mil to spend before they hit the Luxury Tax threshold (20% surcharge tax on salaries).....this is without counting a potential re-sign of DiDi, Gardner, Betances etc. Add another $20 Mil on top of that and the tax goes up to 32%.......add yet another $20 Mil and the tax goes up to 45%.

Strasburg and Cole will likely be $30+ mil a year guys (Strasburg is likely going to re-sign with the Nats who have salary space to add this). Going to guess that there will be a bidding war for Cole between Yanks and Dodgers and he will end up going for $35+ Mil in some massive contract.

A good back-up option will be MadBum who will be an excellent fit for the Yanks based on their bullpen strength as well as his Post Season performance history. He can be a 6 Inning pitcher during the regular season to save up for the PS. Probably can be had for $20+ Mil.
Sign MadBum, don't need Cole or SS at that price tag. MadBum is better than either in the playoffs.

Not surprised Yanks let go of Didi. Very surprised J.D. doesn't opt out and stays with Red Sox.

They can still sign him. They didn’t want to get backed into paying him $17MM for one season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT