ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually love how the Mets are mixing in Alonzo/Smith. Keeping both young players active and happy.
Need to get Nimmo going but to be fair- very tough fist 2 pitchers.
Biggest question of the first two games in WTF was Ramos doing staying on the base paths the other day? It worked out but stupid.
MC better see right away that he has to keep this guy healthy. Running bases late in a game just isn’t smart.
They asked Callaway that very question, and in this new world baseball, the stats say in 95% of these situations it doesn't matter, and with only 2 active catchers on the roster, and McNeil the emergency backup, it was far better to keep him on the base path.

I dont like the Braves. After living in Georgia for 12 years my allegiance will never switch from the Mets. But wasn't their RF Markakis one of their best players and an All-Star.
He was great before the break last season, mediocre afterwards. I believe the 2nd half numbers are more who he is now.

Before the All Star break: .323, 10 HR, 61 RBI (94 games)
After the break: .258, 4 HR, 32 RBI (68 games)

He is not a power hitter but batted 4th for the Braves most of last season. His HR totals from 2015 through 2018: 3 (!!!), 13, 8, 14. He's 35, the downside is coming sooner than later and he's not that great right now. He is dropped to 5th in the order to start the season because Acuna is at clean-up for now.

It's for the players. Not the fans. The rookies and newly acquired players have to get their logistics in order. Same thing will happen for the Mets when they return home. For example players such as Alonso, Smith, Guillorme, Peterson whose statuses was not determined until the very end of spring training, have to lock in their living arrangements.
The day off is not for the players it's for the owners. Just in case there is bad weather they can just move the game one day and not have to issues refunds for a sell out. As you saw with the Mets trip to Syracuse the owners don't care about the players getting settled in.
The only teams that don't have a day off after opening day are dome teams or CA teams

Reactions: tico brown
Wish the Mets were going 162-0 but... I know this comeback did not happen last year and this years depth looked good first series of the year. Ill be happy with the 2/3s. Hopefully his continues.

Callaway really doesn't know how to manage the bullpen. Why was Wilson in for a 2nd inning? He hasn't done that in years.
Because he used too many pitchers in the 7th. He expected to use Peterson in the 8th, having double switched for that purpose. However, when the Mets had their big inning and had a chance to take the lead, he had no choice but to hit for Peterson. That left him short for the rest of the game. He had already said that Lugo was unavailable.

Had this game gone beyond 11 innings, we may have seen Davis pitch. Supposedly he's not bad.

Reactions: redking
I have no idea what he was doing yesterday with Lugo throwing 40 pitches. He had Gman up. Bring him in and both are likely available today. Gman is sharper with more work becuase of his hard sinker. Ball was up today.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Matz is up tonite. Mets apparently still checking in on Kuechel. Matz needs to bear down and concentrate. I want 2 out of 3 vs. the fish.
Aim higher. I want em all. But I hear you. 2 of 3 at minimum. Those pesky Marlins seemed to give us fits at time last season. But on paper they seem to have an even worse team than last year.

Sign Dallas Keuchel and put Matz or Vargas in bullpen.
I’m concerned about mets starters excluding Jacob. Noah has done diddly for past 2 years. Which wheeler do we get? And matz and Vargas are perennial question marks. Signing Keuchel would be ideal as there is no starter on farm

This JD Davis is not exactly Brooks Robinson at third base is he

This is the first game I have been able to watch, was Jeff McNeil shaky too at the corner?

So glad BVW isn't Sandy,and Alonzo came North. The old guard would have tried to save that extra free agent year, and Alonzo would have been tearing up Triple A instead of having a major hand in 2 out of the 3 early season wins.

tenor.gif

Callaway has had some questionable moves:

1. Keeping Justin WIlson in for the 2nd inning on Sunday's game vs Nats.
2. Not having Nimmo bunt in the Marlins game.
3. Bringing Diaz in up 7-3 tonight and in all likelihood making him non available for tomorrow.

Love Alonso; McNeil; Rosario......good to see Dom Smith get a start tomorrow...kid deserves it...busting his butt and producing....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT