ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not fail to give blame to BVW here either. I and many others have been saying there isn't much depth with the pitching and it's showing.

This hot start seems to be a mirage like last year. The bullpen (other than Diaz and Familia) is horrible. The managing is atrocious. The hitting seems to be better than last year. But the bullpen and managing will cost us many games this year.

Nimmo: .100
Cano: .207
Davis: .158
Rosario: .250
Nido: .000
Lagares: .154

Still 5-1

Nimmo: .100
Cano: .207
Davis: .158
Rosario: .250
Nido: .000
Lagares: .154

Still 5-1

Yeah but also have Smith/Alonso/Ramos/McNeil/Comforto and Broxton all over .360
In most years, our Mets would have Rosario and Cano’s Numbers as our best hitters.

This hot start seems to be a mirage like last year. The bullpen (other than Diaz and Familia) is horrible. The managing is atrocious. The hitting seems to be better than last year. But the bullpen and managing will cost us many games this year.
We are not going to play .833 baseball all year. There will be peaks and valleys. Any six game stretch, be it positive or negative, is in that sense a mirage. The bats will cool off, the bullpen will improve, the managerial decisions will stabilize. It's a long season.

I will admit that Callaway has made some unorthodox decisions. Unorthodox does not necessarily mean wrong. Let's let it play out.

This one thing I know for certain - if the Mets keep winning, Callaway isn't going anywhere. Whether they are winning because of him, or in spite of him, is irrelevant.

We are not going to play .833 baseball all year. There will be peaks and valleys. Any six game stretch, be it positive or negative, is in that sense a mirage. The bats will cool off, the bullpen will improve, the managerial decisions will stabilize. It's a long season.

I will admit that Callaway has made some unorthodox decisions. Unorthodox does not necessarily mean wrong. Let's let it play out.

This one thing I know for certain - if the Mets keep winning, Callaway isn't going anywhere. Whether they are winning because of him, or in spite of him, is irrelevant.
Remember when everyone thought the Phillies would fire their nutjob manager? That never happened.

I remember 11-1 last year so I am not overly excited. Team needs Frazier; Lowrie and D'Arnaud badly and guys like Nimmo; Cano need to get their acts together. Bullpen excluding Diaz and Familia has been shaky and always have to wonder about the next headscratcher with Calloway. SNY reporting Mets are continuing dialogue with Keuchel which is good and something I yearn for. I don't trust Wheeler; Matz or Vargas in the long term. On the positive, I'll take 5-1 record gladly...:)...Love what Alonso and McNeil have brought to the table and Degrom is well a DeGrominator.

Mets Home Opener on Gil Hodges birthday. Pretty cool stuff. He would have been 95. He has been gone now longer than he lived. Remember when he passed what a shock it was, so damn young.
Should be in the Hall of Fame.

last year's 11-1 start just never felt right and there wasn't much to say that you could think it could keep going. Though, their breakdown was worst then you could have imagined. This year, it just feels so much better. There are clutch hits, we have a legit closer and it is really fun to have some young kids playing on this team. And even though deGrom isnt young- he still feels like it. But for the first time since Wright/Reyes we have guys like Smith/Alonso/Comforto/Nimmo/deGrom/McNeil etc- I'm not sure if all are 100% home grown but their career started here. Same with Thor - yeah, he came in a trade but been a Met from day 1.

And it has been a really long time since I have "must see TV when it comes to the Met's" deGrom starts are now at the level of Gooden starts in the 80's

Reactions: cicero grimes
I'd feel a ton better if we had one more legit bullpen arm and one more legit SP. Gsellman stinks and Vargas is going to kill us. Signing one of Keuchel or Kimbrel would do wonders but even without those names we should look at Ryan Madson or some SP on teams that aren't going to contend this year to unearth some stuff.

The bats are legit. The front of the rotation is legit. The back end of the bullpen is legit. I get it we can't have a perfect team but there are still ways to round out and improve the back end of the roster. This was a major problem last year under Sandy keeping Reyes and others around when they showed they were not major leaguers anymore. One of the new hires BVW brought in Guttridge or someone else actually specializes in that kind of roster work and in what's going to be a close division all year even a 2 or 3 game improvement is going to go a long way.

last year's 11-1 start just never felt right and there wasn't much to say that you could think it could keep going. Though, their breakdown was worst then you could have imagined. This year, it just feels so much better. There are clutch hits, we have a legit closer and it is really fun to have some young kids playing on this team. And even though deGrom isnt young- he still feels like it. But for the first time since Wright/Reyes we have guys like Smith/Alonso/Comforto/Nimmo/deGrom/McNeil etc- I'm not sure if all are 100% home grown but their career started here. Same with Thor - yeah, he came in a trade but been a Met from day 1.

And it has been a really long time since I have "must see TV when it comes to the Met's" deGrom starts are now at the level of Gooden starts in the 80's
Yes all of those guys other than Syndegaard were drafted by the Mets.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Please don't feed the trolls. Ignore them.

This is in response to what? See my response to ruready.
I dont know why youre pissed at me? Im talking baseball here not the one trying to start up crap for no reason.

I dont know why youre pissed at me? Im talking baseball here not the one trying to start up crap for no reason.
Pissed at you? I'm trying to figure out who you are talking to in the post I quoted?
I don't see any posts from trolls here, and I don't "View ignored content either".

If trolls show up, it is easiest to just ignore them. They only want attention.

Mets still in touch with Keuchel. Craig Kimbrel is also still a free agent.
https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/due-di...n-touch-with-dallas-keuchel-sources/305915484
"It's also worth noting that the Mets are saving $10 million this season, after Jacob deGrom's contract extension reduced his 2019 salary to $7 million from $17 million."
If I’m the Met’s, I sign one of these guys. I know they won’t do both but both would fill vital roles over a long season.

BTW- just can’t say enough about deGrom. If this were 10 years ago, last night would have been a complete game shutout with 18 or more Ks
When his slider and change up are working, guy is almost unhittable

Odd scheduling of a home opener, you would think the Mets would have had at least played yesterday's game in the afternoon to give them more rest, what if the game last night went 15 innings or more? You're looking at a team that would today be playing a 1pm game after their plane touched down around 4am or even later.

Reactions: redking
Game time in approx 2.5 hours. Mets need to keep the pressure on the Nats who look like they are still trying to find their identity without Harper and Murph. Losing Turner has also got to hurt them and deprives them of a great speed and power guy.

If you are going to a contender you have to kick the struggling teams in your division when they are down. A real chance this week to send a message to the Nats. LGM!

Odd scheduling of a home opener, you would think the Mets would have had at least played yesterday's game in the afternoon to give them more rest, what if the game last night went 15 innings or more? You're looking at a team that would today be playing a 1pm game after their plane touched down around 4am or even later.
And since it’s the home opener- I’m sure guys get to the stadium a minimum of an hour early with all the pregame introductions and for the new guys, a lay of the land during a pre game in the clubhouse. With their stupid Cuse trip, did these guys even get a walk through?

I thought that was odd too. Why didn’t they just make it 4pm today ?

Reactions: tico brown
I'm sure MLB Network has a say in the schedule for the openers.

Probably . Just don’t see it too often where a team plays an away night game in one city and then an early day game in anothe city the next day . How many times is something like that scheduled in the original schedule?

If Kimbrel still wants a four or five year deal, not sure that's a good idea. Also, will he pout if signed and not named the main closer? How will Diaz react if Kimbrel gets the nod? It seems risky.

Keuchel, however, if healthy would give the rotation a boost. The top three are solid as anyone in the NL if healthy. Questions are in the 4 and 5 slot.

Reactions: tico brown
If Kimbrel still wants a four or five year deal, not sure that's a good idea. Also, will he pout if signed and not named the main closer? How will Diaz react if Kimbrel gets the nod? It seems risky.

Keuchel, however, if healthy would give the rotation a boost. The top three are solid as anyone in the NL if healthy. Questions are in the 4 and 5 slot.
Zero chance they would offer 4-5 years and no chance to be the closer. Offer him 1 year with an option.

Reactions: Knight Shift
1294876.gif
Just not sold on Syndagarrd,there's just something that he lacks I feel.Would be kind of funny if they ever had to send him to Syracuse to work on his pitching,lol.

Following the game on MLB.com. Strasburg dealing today. Mets hitless through 4 and trail 1-0.

They actually didn't arrive until 3 this morning. They had random drug testing after last night's game which ran until 11pm. Everybody had to pee and the article said Dom Smith's bladder was shy. Called off BP before today's game. So far it shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT