ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 NHL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hall will play well for the rest of this season, get the big contract from Boston (or someone), and eventually get lazy and disinterested again.
He didn't come across well with his comments about how he was happy going to the Bruins because he wouldn't be the "focal point" of the team there (because they already have Pasta, Bergeron, Marchand) and he wasn't comfortable being the guy on a team every focuses their attention on.

There are probably plenty of good teams he could have signed with last offseason if he let the market know he was willing to sign for a second line winger salary. I suspect he still wants to get paid like a star even though he wants none of the responsibility that goes with that.

Another blowout today
I know Ruff had to challenge the Kravtsov goal the other night because he has to fight for his goalie, but I am hoping the Rangers can use that to drum up some fake outrage and stayed fired up.

Otherwise, I would expect the Rangers to lay an egg in one of the games this weekend. Normally they just aren't consistent enough to beat any team four times in a row.

I know Ruff had to challenge the Kravtsov goal the other night because he has to fight for his goalie, but I am hoping the Rangers can use that to drum up some fake outrage and stayed fired up.

Otherwise, I would expect the Rangers to lay an egg in one of the games this weekend. Normally they just aren't consistent enough to beat any team four times in a row.

Nah, Devils are an average AHL Team

Lindy Ruff is a good man.
But I can’t even imagine what the Devils are thinking about entrusting him to be the man to lead them.
They should hire the Rangers coach at Hartford.

Lindy Ruff is a good man.
But I can’t even imagine what the Devils are thinking about entrusting him to be the man to lead them.
They should hire the Rangers coach at Hartford.

Seeing similar problems on the Devils that Ruff oversaw on the Rangers; specifically poor d-zone coverage.
He is a good offensive coach; which is ironic given that he played as a stay at home defenseman, but he needs to find an assistant that can take over the defense completely.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Seeing similar problems on the Devils that Ruff oversaw on the Rangers; specifically poor d-zone coverage.
He is a good offensive coach; which is ironic given that he played as a stay at home defenseman, but he needs to find an assistant that can take over the defense completely.
They allow the other team to enter the zone too easily, then try and keep things on the perimeter, which is exactly what would happen when he was coaching on the Rangers. It is exactly what skilled teams like the Rangers want, as opposed to having to fight harder to gain possession in the offensive zone.

They allow the other team to enter the zone too easily, then try and keep things on the perimeter, which is exactly what would happen when he was coaching on the Rangers. It is exactly what skilled teams like the Rangers want, as opposed to having to fight harder to gain possession in the offensive zone.
I can’t think of a worse philosophy!
Taking away time and space and making the puck handler feel he has only a split second to make a decision with the puck is the only way to play.
How you employ that philosophy varies, but allowing no room to skate and no time to make a pass should be the goal.
Lindy talks about staying above the puck, that statement alone allows free zone entry, trailers and drop passes to kill you...they end up in the slot with time to windup and their whole body behind the shot.

Last edited:
This is just embarrassing, I know Ruff has little to work with but they're not even trying to be competitive.

I can’t think of a worse philosophy!
Taking away time and space and making the puck handler feel he has only a split second to make a decision with the puck is the only way to play.
How you employ that philosophy varies, but allowing no room to skate and no time to make a pass should be the goal.
Lindy talks about staying above the puck, that statement alone allows free zone entry, trailers and drop passes to kill you...they end up in the slot with time to windup and their whole body behind the shot.
You can see how comfortable the Rangers are, compared to playing against teams which contest the blue line more and force them to dump and chase (which isn’t their strength) to regain possession.

Hooray, the Devils ended the shut-out streak. Alright guys, bleed all over them and let them know you are there.
I really hope Lindy Ruff decides to retire at season's end. A team with so much " young talent" needs to show a lot more ❤.

Typical Devils, play at most 1 period, just not all at once. Surge to get the game to 1 goal, only to lose. This team has warning track power.

I'm willing to give a pass for this year (no training camp), but I agree, expected to see more.
Now, I'll happily eat crow if he comes out on a mission next year.
Not just no training camp, but no games for 9 months before that.

I’ll concede he hasn’t done as much as people hoped, but he has had a few factors working against him.

-The third line gets deployed most often with the third defensive pair, and almost everybody on the team has worse numbers when they are on the Ice with Hayek than they do without him. I’d like to see how the kid line could do if they got a bunch of time with Fox like the top two lines do.

-it is virtually unheard for a number 1 pick to get zero power play time like Quinn has done with Lafrenière. In fact, the average number 1 pick in the last 15 years has gotten a third of their points on the power play in their first year, so having Quinn as his coach is making Lafrenière look worse.

Reactions: mdh2003

I’ll concede he hasn’t done as much as people hoped, but he has had a few factors working against him.

-The third line gets deployed most often with the third defensive pair, and almost everybody on the team has worse numbers when they are on the Ice with Hayek than they do without him. I’d like to see how the kid line could do if they got a bunch of time with Fox like the top two lines do.

-it is virtually unheard for a number 1 pick to get zero power play time like Quinn has done with Lafrenière. In fact, the average number 1 pick in the last 15 years has gotten a third of their points on the power play in their first year, so having Quinn as his coach is making Lafrenière look worse.
Bonus for the accent. Well done.

On the actual post. True. But, on the second point, I’d be curious to see the make ups of all those teams. Most teams that pick first overall are pretty much crap. They probably didn’t have any better players than the pick they just got. Because of the ridiculous or glorious (depending on your sensibilities) luck of winning last year, NYR has more talent than the average team that picked first.

On the actual post. True. But, on the second point, I’d be curious to see the make ups of all those teams. Most teams that pick first overall are pretty much crap. They probably didn’t have any better players than the pick they just got. Because of the ridiculous or glorious (depending on your sensibilities) luck of winning last year, NYR has more talent than the average team that picked first.
Yes, you can say there is more room on a bad team’s power play, but until he was traded Quinn was playing offensively inept Lemieux on the second unit so he could have found some minutes for Laf.

The same goes with 3v3. Lafrenière scores his first NHL goal on the 3v3, and then didn’t see the ice in most/all of the OTs after that.

He didn't come across well with his comments about how he was happy going to the Bruins because he wouldn't be the "focal point" of the team there (because they already have Pasta, Bergeron, Marchand) and he wasn't comfortable being the guy on a team every focuses their attention on.

There are probably plenty of good teams he could have signed with last offseason if he let the market know he was willing to sign for a second line winger salary. I suspect he still wants to get paid like a star even though he wants none of the responsibility that goes with that.
I think any of us would want the same thing--to get paid as much as possible and be on a good team. Can't really fault him there. I also don't think that just because he's scored a few goals in Boston already means he stopped trying in Buffalo. It's easier to score goals when you have a better team around you.

I think any of us would want the same thing--to get paid as much as possible and be on a good team. Can't really fault him there. I also don't think that just because he's scored a few goals in Boston already means he stopped trying in Buffalo. It's easier to score goals when you have a better team around you.
That’s not what he said. He wants to be paid as much as possible but not have the accountability that comes with being paid at that level.

I might butcher the spelling, I hope Ranger goalie Georgiev will be okay soon. Maybe a muscle was tight.
Now all I can say about my Devils is I'm not surprised. Unless the Rangers stop playing, this game is over. Rinse repeat. I was hoping Keith Kinkaid was #2 today.

I might butcher the spelling, I hope Ranger goalie Georgiev will be okay soon. Maybe a muscle was tight.
Now all I can say about my Devils is I'm not surprised. Unless the Rangers stop playing, this game is over. Rinse repeat. I was hoping Keith Kinkaid was #2 today.
Spelling is spot on, and he’s back between the pipes to start the 2nd.

If Blackwood is hurt Tenneyson should be cut for general principle. I would like Scott Stevens to coach this team. If they continued to play defense like this, I envision him kicking some ass!

I like Kenny D. , however he is acting clueless with his defense of Jack Hughes. Now I love the fire. I wonder where it has been and why more Devils don't have it. That said any player who tosses his stick out of the penalty box, should get a 10 minute misconduct.

So, Hayek finally gets benched for a game and Quinn puts in Bitetto who has been out for two months and wasn’t any good before that.

Meanwhile Zac Jones, who was in form as one of the players of the tournament as UMass won the NCAA championship, hasn’t paid enough Quinn dues to get in a game.

Result, second Devils goal.

Reactions: ClassOf02
So, Hayek finally gets benched for a game and Quinn puts in Bitetto who has been out for two months and wasn’t any good before that.

Meanwhile Zac Jones, who was in form as one of the players of the tournament as UMass won the NCAA championship, hasn’t paid enough Quinn dues to get in a game.

Result, second Devils goal.
The next time Bitetto gets on the ice, third Devils goal.

Reactions: ClassOf02
When the schedule came out, I thought this 4 game set was going to be the only playoff-like series for either team. Most likely that is still correct, but too bad devils only showed up for a period and a half. They looked like NYR in last year‘s play in.

Now could somebody just slow Boston down a bit?
My youngest is a huge Bruins fan. (Big fan because they won the Cup when he first got into hockey in 2011 Loves Chara, wears his #, etc.). I just finished telling him how frustrating it is that the Rangers got 11 out of the last 12 possible points and didn't gain much (if any) ground.

Re: Ruff, Steve Valiquette said yesterday that the Rangers used to be terrible at limiting second shots, but now are tied with the Bruins for 1st in the league. Ruff is a bad defensive coach, and when you have a young team like like the Devils you need the opposite behind the bench.

Islanders just edged out the Flyers,1-0,in OT.The win puts them eight points over the playoff line and likely eliminates the Flyers.This is some division.

I don't know if Hughes only plays like this against the Rangers, but he's looked very good every time they play.
My takeaway from seeing Hughes in eight games with the Rangers this year is that while his linemates look like NHL players, they don't look like first liners, and if you get Hughes some higher end scoring wingers he would be piling up the points.

Islanders just edged out the Flyers,1-0,in OT.The win puts them eight points over the playoff line and likely eliminates the Flyers.This is some division.
The Rangers have three games left with the Islanders. It is likely going to take three wins to keep the Rangers' playoff hopes alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT