ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 NHL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isles did not miss Boychuk or Toews last night. Can't believe they are going to play the Rangers 8 times in a shortened season. Wake me up when we get close the playoffs. Maybe the Rangers are going to try an earn the top pick this year instead of having Lady Luck on their side again.

Isles did not miss Boychuk or Toews last night. Can't believe they are going to play the Rangers 8 times in a shortened season. Wake me up when we get close the playoffs. Maybe the Rangers are going to try an earn the top pick this year instead of having Lady Luck on their side again.
ORRRRRRR , maybe they can buy the pick like they bought the cup in 1994.

Ah, us Devils fans should not be so fast to trash talk, we ain't out of the woods either 🙁

Ah, us Devils fans should not be so fast to trash talk, we ain't out of the woods either 🙁
At my age it's all just in fun. BUT a lot of it is true. The media hypes them up every year and the poor saps buy it . The franchise is a joke . And in hockey as all sports winning multiple championships in a few short years is VERY difficult because of free agency. The rags could not get it done before free agency so the ship sailed and now it has sunk. They should be exiled to Elba . But the people there would not take them because of the rags failures in their oh so ( cough , cough ) glorious history.

But we do have more “trees” in that forest...

28f90fbd57d98e5356135377dcd028f1_1024x1024.jpg

Reactions: goru1869
I was personally at the first and third cups wins, in fact the third one it was also my birthday. Don't think I can ever top that day.
Over my older Son’s bed is a picture of the first one taken by a fan (guy I used to work with). The Devils liked it so much it was sold at souvenir stands for a few seasons.

Last edited:
I was personally at the first and third cups wins, in fact the third one it was also my birthday. Don't think I can ever top that day.
Well Happy , kinda late , birthday . I was at the first . My friend and I had season tickets upstairs toward one of the corners. We were in the lot celebrating until about 2:30. Some of our other friends stayed until close to 4:00 . Good times , good times ! And yes rag fans, I was in the lot for all 3 celebrations .

Gotta admit to hiding myself from this thread after last night’s horrendous performance by the Blue Shirts.

The Devils could suck for 20 more straight years, and I will still point out to my friends who root for the Rangers how awful they have been historically. It’s all in fun with a rivalry. As the saying goes, my two favorite teams are the Devils and whoever plays the Rangers.

The Devils could suck for 20 more straight years, and I will still point out to my friends who root for the Rangers how awful they have been historically. It’s all in fun with a rivalry. As the saying goes, my two favorite teams are the Devils and whoever plays the Rangers.
To be fair, the Rangers are only about 1 cup short of what a team “should” have won in the expansion era. What is mind boggling is how they could go 30 years without winning in a league that only had 6 teams.

What did he do off the ice?

I don't remember him being in the police blotter.
He is a very well liked player in the locker room and right or wrong always defends his teammates.
He’s a Trump supporter who also criticizes him regularly if you follow him, so it’s open season on him

He is a very well liked player in the locker room and right or wrong always defends his teammates.
He’s a Trump supporter who also criticizes him regularly if you follow him, so it’s open season on him

Ok, but I asked sf01 why is he a joke off the ice?

What did he do off the ice that makes him a joke?

On the ice he's a darn good player. I wish the Devils had him.

Rangers were embarassing last night. @krup nailed it with his post on Quinn. The guy has been anything but impressive and the continuous display of coming out flat or not even showing up is unacceptable. I'd give anything for a Trotz instead.

Flyers might be unstoppable this year, they beat the Pens 6-3 the other night and tonight they're up on them again 3-0 in middle of first. That's 9 goals in three and half periods.

Flyers might be unstoppable this year, they beat the Pens 6-3 the other night and tonight they're up on them again 3-0 in middle of first. That's 9 goals in three and half periods.
Nah, they have been stoppable since 1975 . Not worried about them !

Rangers were embarassing last night. @krup nailed it with his post on Quinn. The guy has been anything but impressive and the continuous display of coming out flat or not even showing up is unacceptable. I'd give anything for a Trotz instead.
Quinn hasn’t figured out how the best teams employ a relentless forecheck that gives opposing defenseman no time and space to make a play, yet are always on the right side of the puck and defend.
it’s quite amazing to watch all the contenders do it.
When we try it (The Rangers) all it results in is getting caught deep and giving up endless odd man rushes

Reactions: RU Cheese
As negative as my comments were earlier, I am even more down on Quinn after his moronic comments and lineup changes at practice today.

Because he’s a Trump supporter, no other reason
Well that's no reason to excoriate someone. Half of America voted for the guy not once but twice. People need to smarten up and realize that the way many of us old school folks were raised is that a) two things you never discuss in mixed company are religion and politics, and b) everyone has a right to their own beliefs and it's wrong to hold their beliefs against them. Otherwise we're no better than the communists and thought police.

Because he’s a Trump supporter, no other reason
Actually a coach I used to work with who knew DeAngelo off the ice said when he got drafted that he will either end up in the NHL or prison. This was two years before the 2016 election.

Well that's no reason to excoriate someone. Half of America voted for the guy not once but twice.
Actually the percentage of registered voters who voted was only about 58% in 2016 and 67% in 2020, so it is very inaccurate to say that "half of America" voted for either party. Trump got about 27% in 2016 and 31% in 2020, and this doesn't even take into consideration Americans who are eligible to vote but aren't registered. The huge portion of Americans who don't find either candidate/party to be worth voting for is disregarded far too often.

Last edited:
Reactions: czxqa
I need someone to explain to me how these top teams relentlessly forecheck down low, their D men pinch.
They give you no time and space,
Yet they still clog up the neutral zone, defend and don’t give up odd man rushes.

I swear I haven’t figured it out

I need someone to explain to me how these top teams relentlessly forecheck down low, their D men pinch.
They give you no time and space,
Yet they still clog up the neutral zone, defend and don’t give up odd man rushes.

I swear I haven’t figured it out
In most cases, two forwards forecheck and the third forward has to have a lot of discipline with their positioning to make sure that all of the time they are looking for an offensive opportunity they are also ready to bail on the offensive zone and get back to defend.

Same thing with pinching. If the forward on the side of the pinch is free enough to cover for the defenseman pinching he does so, but the forward on the other side of the ice has to recognize when that isn't going to happen and back off to provide defensive support.

It's all about discipline, which comes down to coaching which is why the Rangers suck at it. Quinn seems to focus on the forecheckers having "good intentions" which leads him to value guys like Howden who look like they are putting in a lot of effort on the boards, over players actually being good at positioning where you are already in the right place and don't need to look like you are trying so hard (for example, the Isles have gotten so good at their system they don't look like they are killing themselves to maintain that structure).

They are a Vigneault team. They’ll have a very good regular season for a couple years, take a high seed into the playoffs where they’ll disappoint. Then the lack of development of young talent will catch up with them while they focus on washed up vets and the franchise will ultimately be set back 5 years.

Reactions: mdh2003
In most cases, two forwards forecheck and the third forward has to have a lot of discipline with their positioning to make sure that all of the time they are looking for an offensive opportunity they are also ready to bail on the offensive zone and get back to defend.

Same thing with pinching. If the forward on the side of the pinch is free enough to cover for the defenseman pinching he does so, but the forward on the other side of the ice has to recognize when that isn't going to happen and back off to provide defensive support.

It's all about discipline, which comes down to coaching which is why the Rangers suck at it. Quinn seems to focus on the forecheckers having "good intentions" which leads him to value guys like Howden who look like they are putting in a lot of effort on the boards, over players actually being good at positioning where you are already in the right place and don't need to look like you are trying so hard (for example, the Isles have gotten so good at their system they don't look like they are killing themselves to maintain that structure).
Our strong on the puck forwards are Bread, great forechecker, Kreider for the most part, Strome at times.
Don’t know about Lefreniere yet, Lemioux can forecheck some.
Everyone else including Kakko and Chytil are a waste....yup, that means Buchnevich too.
Those guys couldn’t play for Trots
Howdan exhausts himself with zero results

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT