ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 World Cup Thread

This was a good point brought up earlier in the thread. If Iran plays a bunker style against us, how good a chance do we have to break it and get goals for a win.
I (we) could be wrong, but I think the Iran game will be a tough, grind it out contest. I think it’s 55/45 we win.

One concern is that this US team was inconsistent during qualifying. I don’t recall them putting two consecutive great performances together without a letdown game between (they won several games that were closer than they ought to have been).

I think we need to be at our best if Iran is at their best, to win. I don’t think either team can come out flat and expect to still win. OTOH, GB has England‘s very successful approach to Iran on film to study. I am not so sure the Wales game provides as much useful info to Iran.
I guess it comes down to if Iran thinks Wales can win. Scoring in soccer is hard enough let alone when one team doesn't need to win or even score to advance. Probably be another 0-0 draw.

So who backs up Zimmerman. Ream did a great job but needs a better partner back there. I just can't see Lalas' permission to say any player on the U.S. team is "weak". Why do the subs come in at the 70' mark? Why not earlier with Aaronson and Reyna?
Carter vickers should start based on the current roster. He's played champions league before and can hang with these high level players.

So who backs up Zimmerman. Ream did a great job but needs a better partner back there. I just can't see Lalas' permission to say any player on the U.S. team is "weak". Why do the subs come in at the 70' mark? Why not earlier with Aaronson and Reyna?
I thought bringing and playing Ream in the Wales and England games was smart because of his experience playing that style.

I am concerned about his lack of speed being exposed against the counterattacks of Iran.

GB tried subbing aaronson starting a bit after the 60 minute mark, but there was no stoppage of play in which to sub for a while. For some reason, the coaches are being cautious with Reyna, presumably due to his recent injury and subsequent fitness level.

There really is no backup for Zimmerman. He’s a bit of a liability, especially with Miles Robinson out injured. But he’s not awful, either. Ream has done well as a replacement for Robinson, but has been making some mistakes when clearing the ball. The central defense is a soft spot, but they’re talented - the softness is the occasional mistake, not poor individual skill or lack of athleticism.

That’s the word on the street.
It’s obviously tougher than not just needing a tie. But this US team is at its best when attacking aggressively and playing loose and creatively. So the fact that they have to go for it means they are forced to play the best style for them.

The flip side is we will be exposed to counters and are not at our best in the center of our defense.

One USA goal in two games resulting in two tie scores.Against Iran USA must win the game or they are eliminated from the World Cup.The lack of offense and with no margin forb error will put tremendous pressure on USA to score more than one goal.

Reactions: cshelley
Pulling for Danes. Why is FOX Sports 1 so standard def. Doesn't seem hi def like regular FOX.

Yes, this entire stage of the tournament is called the finals, not just the final match. The previous competitions were world cup qualifiers to advance to the finals. It sounds strange to American ears until you get used to it.
Always heard this round was considered the Group Stage.

Great win for Poland this morning, what a goal by Lewandowski. Good game to the Saudi's.

Trying to do the math in my head, but if I'm not mistaken there are still multiple pathways for Poland to advance? Weird feeling but still overwhelmed with anxiousness, needing a result against Argentina.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm hoping for a Mexico-Argentina draw this afternoon?

Yes, this entire stage of the tournament is called the finals, not just the final match. The previous competitions were world cup qualifiers to advance to the finals. It sounds strange to American ears until you get used to it.
The NHL Final (not plural) is odd too. It involves a minimum 4 games.

Man that comment about European and South American fans not showing up to this world cup and taking over stadiums is really, really not aging well at all. 90,000 at the game today. Probably 50,000 Mexicans and 40,000 Argentinian’s in the stadium.

• Haha
Great win for Poland this morning, what a goal by Lewandowski. Good game to the Saudi's.

Trying to do the math in my head, but if I'm not mistaken there are still multiple pathways for Poland to advance? Weird feeling but still overwhelmed with anxiousness, needing a result against Argentina.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm hoping for a Mexico-Argentina draw this afternoon?
Not sure

If Mexico beats Argentina then Argentina is eliminated. If Mexico then beats or ties Saudi Arabia, Poland advances no matter result vs Argentina.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Messi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing - he was struggling much of the game, flubbing passes and losing the ball on the dribble, which is unusual for him, but that goal obviously makes up for any of that. I don't like Argentina, per se (and I hate Mexico, of course, so hope Argentina puts this one away), but Messi has been my favorite player to watch since he came up. Best ever, IMO, whether or not he's ever on a World Cup winning team.

Poland locks a spot if they get a tie with Argentina.
Looks like they can also get in if they lose to Argentina—-saudis have to lose/tie and then it will come down to goal diff with either Saudi or Mexico depending on their outcome.

One question I have about Iran——which team is their usual——the one who gave up 6 goals to England or the team that beat wales with no goals given up? Did they play better than their norm in the 2nd match? Or is that them and England just excelled in first match vs them

Mexico is old and slow. Will go home soon. Latinos have jumped onto the Argentina bandwagon. They love the underdog to the Brazilians.

US has to win to advance, unless my math is wrong. So hopefully not a draw.
I know - tie is bad but I see it happening with Iran taking zero chances offensively - maybe if Wales goes up on England early we'll see an actual game. Will Iran watch the scoreboard?

Iran's team has been threatened by international hackers and douchebags and were very anxious during their first game. They look tough to me. But U.S. has advanced by leaps and will prevail by three goals.

Poland locks a spot if they get a tie with Argentina.
Looks like they can also get in if they lose to Argentina—-saudis have to lose/tie and then it will come down to goal diff with either Saudi or Mexico depending on their outcome.
To me, the best bet in the remaining games is Argentina to beat Poland. They really woke up and played great in the 2nd half against Mexico and I think they're on a mission and will win this game to lead the group.

Man that comment about European and South American fans not showing up to this world cup and taking over stadiums is really, really not aging well at all. 90,000 at the game today. Probably 50,000 Mexicans and 40,000 Argentinian’s in the stadium.

There are always thousands attending WC games - home field advantage is more about the region and familiarity with the culture(s) where the games are being held. The ME/North African nations (except Qatar) are showing extremely well.

Reactions: leftoright
Wow just tuned in and what a surprise. Morocco beats Belgium 2-0. Another big upset the WC.

There are always thousands attending WC games - home field advantage is more about the region and familiarity with the culture(s) where the games are being held. The ME/North African nations (except Qatar) are showing extremely well.
You say “culture” BUT once you’re IN the stadium it’s all about #’s, attitude and tradition. Most Euro sides, and all North AND South American sides have travelled extremely well both packing stadiums and creating great environments (also most of these stadiums are brand new.). That being said I’m simply responding to your comment from earlier in this thread (which I just didn’t have time to look for and quote directly).

BTW - I said months ago I didn’t want to play anyone from Africa in our group (and not because of “culture” HOWEVER due to proximity (HUGE fan presence from Morocco and Tunisia) and speed (always gives us issues).

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy_Faulker
ADVERTISEMENT