ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 World Cup Thread

Really pretty goal by Spain. Pretty sure the next 30 minutes are going to be wild, as Germany really needs to at least tie this match.

Reactions: mildone
Sorry, meant Yugoslavians...
You mean Vulgaria? This guy was their starting forward a handful of decades ago.

the-child-catcher.jpg

Last edited:
Germany #10 had wrestled the ball at the line. Gave Spain the ball. Sideline judges should have a say.

Question for the experts here. I think there are 4 officials, yes? The roles of the on-field ref and the 2 sideline refs are obvious. What is the role of the 4th referee?

Question for the experts here. I think there are 4 officials, yes? The roles of the on-field ref and the 2 sideline refs are obvious. What is the role of the 4th referee?
“The fourth official’s assistance also includes:• supervising the substitution procedure• checking a player’s/substitute’s equipment• the re-entry of a player following a signal/approval from the referee• supervising the replacement balls• indicating the minimum amount of additional time the referee intendsto play at the end of each half (including extra time)• informing the referee of irresponsible behaviour by any technical area occupant”

- https://ussoccer.app.box.com/s/xx3byxqgodqtl1h15865/file/972760101681

Reactions: ClassOf02
Here's a scenario only Machiavelli (and the rest of the WC teams that advance) could love. Spain lets Japan beat them by a goal, which would mean Germany would have to beat Costa Rica by 7 goals to beat Spain on goal differential, which is a near impossibility, meaning Germany would be eliminated on GD vs. Spain. Although this would only make sense if Croatia looked likely to finish 2nd in Group F, meaning a 2nd place Spain would play the 1st place team (Belgium or Morocco), as Spain would not want to be facing Croatia next. Yeah, a little unlikely, but interesting to think of.

Here's a scenario only Machiavelli (and the rest of the WC teams that advance) could love. Spain lets Japan beat them by a goal, which would mean Germany would have to beat Costa Rica by 7 goals to beat Spain on goal differential, which is a near impossibility, meaning Germany would be eliminated on GD vs. Spain. Although this would only make sense if Croatia looked likely to finish 2nd in Group F, meaning a 2nd place Spain would play the 1st place team (Belgium or Morocco), as Spain would not want to be facing Croatia next. Yeah, a little unlikely, but interesting to think of.
As someone who roots for Germany (and the US) let’s hope not. Interesting to think about though. Also interesting to think about - Spain vs. Croatia. That would be a helluva match!

Extremely unlikely to be a strategy Spain's HC would risk, I think.

Do they include an estimate of the crowds that gathered in bars and other large scale watch parties?

I'm not sure where our goals are going to come from. Good stuff in getting the ball fwd today... but we've got to find someone with a nose for goal. Set pieces today were terrible. Pulisic's free kicks were trash in the Wales game, but were better today... however, no one in a blue shirt looked like they wanted to attack the ball... lots of standing and waiting for the ball to come to them.
That is my concern as well. If Iran decides to play for the draw and packs the defensive end, can we get opportunities and more importantly can we capitalize on them?

That is my concern as well. If Iran decides to play for the draw and packs the defensive end, can we get opportunities and more importantly can we capitalize on them?
"Packs the defensive end"
That's how they play in normal circumstances, lol.

We lack top level finishers so scoring is always a very real concern.

So what is everybody doing tomorrow afternoon? Working from home? Taking off? Watching at work? Think I'm leaving the office at 1 and taking the next few hours off.

Reactions: Lerxst72
I'm working from home instead of my usual Tuesday in the office. I do have a team meeting conference call at 3. but should be able to watch without problem.

So what is everybody doing tomorrow afternoon? Working from home? Taking off? Watching at work? Think I'm leaving the office at 1 and taking the next few hours off.
I highly recommend procuring a sizable mound of blow and a half dozen hookers. Invite one buddy and have a world cup party.

As always, remember to combine good manners (guests go first) and the buddy system. Have your buddy try the blow first in case it contains Fentanyl. If he starts to look sluggish or sleepy, continue the good manners and be certain to very quickly thank him for his altruism.

As mom taught us, the proper use of good manners is it's own reward.

ADVERTISEMENT