ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2023 Golf Thread

Just by saying Rickie can’t ever seem to put 4 solid rounds together doesn’t mean people are rooting against him. They are. It’s just that you know based on his past that he most likely will not finish great. It’s great if he does. Penrith winning would be revenge for last year.

Just by saying Rickie can’t ever seem to put 4 solid rounds together doesn’t mean people are rooting against him. They are. It’s just that you know based on his past that he most likely will not finish great. It’s great if he does. Penrith winning would be revenge for last year.
Rick won for first time in over 4 years.

Give him credit for making birdey on the 72nd hole and the first playoff hole. He earned it.

But why did he get a free drop after his tee shot on 18 today?
Casual water. There was standing water where is ball landed so you can drop one club length from the water no closer to the hole.

Reactions: wisr01
Casual water. There was standing water where is ball landed so you can drop one club length from the water no closer to the hole.
Did he get any line of sight relief as well because of the stands?
You should also clarify the one club no nearer the hole could be 25 yards to the edge of the water before he drops

Anyone watching the US Open Womens tourney from Pebble Beach?

It looks like an Asian Open at the top of the leader board. Watching because I like the holes of PB but don’t know the players.

It looks like an Asian Open at the top of the leader board. Watching because I like the holes of PB but don’t know the players.
The leader Allisen Corpus is an American!
4 Americans in the top nine.

Women have been playing great majors venues in the US this year. Baltusrol and Pebble!

Reactions: jtung230
The woman's US Open was the only watchable golf this weekend! The PGA was awful. A bunch of nobody's except Cam Young. The DP Tour is done! They don't have regulars anymore as they all must play over 20 events on the PGA Tour this year. And it sounds like the LIV/PIF/PGA are going to squeeze out the UAE group out of the European Tour.

Reactions: RU848789
How do we know which ones are the Americans? 😀
They have the US flag next to their names when they do the larger leaderboard. Been watching since Thursday. I don’t know if NBC has different camera angles but some of the holes look different to me. For example, 13 looks different from their tee box shot and seems a little more open around the green.

Not a big fan of this NBC crew either. Dan Hicks is getting worse as he ages. Not a fan of Morgan Pressel. Judy Rankin should have done this event. Grant Boone and Phil should be the leads.

Last edited:
Corpuz seals the deal with a 3 shot win. First American to win the US Open since Brittney Lang in 2016. She was so in control she didn’t react to the win until her fellow players came out to celebrate.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU848789
American Allisen Corpuz wins the Woman's US Open! Played awesome in her first victory on the LPGA. The top players were knocked out by timing on the first day. Playing in bad conditions to start but watching golf played at Pebble is always great.

Just caught up on the DVR. Fantastic last round by Corpuz, who never let up; same for Hull, who made a great run. Felt a little badly for Hataoka, who kinda-choked-a - she's been very close, but no majors. Just love watching major golf at Pebble, which is certainly the best, most scenic course I've ever played.

Reactions: Section124
I

Maybe get to know some of the players before making dumb comments. 4 Americans in the top 11 and last time I checked Americans of Asian descent are still Americans.

American Allisen Corpuz wins the Woman's US Open! Played awesome in her first victory on the LPGA. The top players were knocked out by timing on the first day. Playing in bad conditions to start but watching golf played at Pebble is always great.
Her caddie is Jennifer Kupcho's husband. What happens if they ever face each other in a playoff lol.

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
We walked Pebble today. As great as it looks on TV it is so much more spectacular in person. The elevation changes are much more than expected too. Best of all we play it on Wednesday.
So many great holes, with 8 probably my favorite. I can still recall being even through 7, then hitting a perfect tee shot on 8 and then hitting what I thought was an ok 2nd shot just a little right that rolling down into the rocks (they were having a drought at the time) and ended up making 6 and then making triple bogeys on 9 and 10 when normally good tee shots, just ran off the bone dry fairway to the right and into the hazard. From +1 to +9 in three holes without really hitting a bad shot. Finished with an 86. Took a whole roll of pix.

So many great holes, with 8 probably my favorite. I can still recall being even through 7, then hitting a perfect tee shot on 8 and then hitting what I thought was an ok 2nd shot just a little right that rolling down into the rocks (they were having a drought at the time) and ended up making 6 and then making triple bogeys on 9 and 10 when normally good tee shots, just ran off the bone dry fairway to the right and into the hazard. From +1 to +9 in three holes without really hitting a bad shot. Finished with an 86. Took a whole roll of pix.
I’m a 10 handicap and hoping to break 95! The greens are shockingly small and extremely well protected. The stretch of holes between 5 and 10 has to match just about any scenery in the world.

Reactions: RUScrew85
I’m a 10 handicap and hoping to break 95! The greens are shockingly small and extremely well protected. The stretch of holes between 5 and 10 has to match just about any scenery in the world.
I was a 7/8 handicap when I played there in the early 90s and was happy with 86, but it really could've been significantly better - but that's golf. And yes, 5-10 and then 17/18 are simply incredible scenery for anywhere in the world (and off-the-charts for golf hole scenery). Enjoy your round and take plenty of pix.

We walked Pebble today. As great as it looks on TV it is so much more spectacular in person. The elevation changes are much more than expected too. Best of all we play it on Wednesday.

You playing others - Spyglass, Spanish Bay, Poppy?

Any time someone is out there I try to tell them to figure out a way to play Pasatiempo up in Santa Cruz.

Scottish Open this weekend from North Berwick near. edinburgh. Lots of top name PGA Pros including Speith, Thomas, Fowler, Cantlay, etc as a warm up to the Open Championship next weekend. GC starting at 8 am tomorrow.

Scottish Open this weekend from North Berwick near. edinburgh. Lots of top name PGA Pros including Speith, Thomas, Fowler, Cantlay, etc as a warm up to the Open Championship next weekend. GC starting at 8 am tomorrow.
7 of the top 10 the week before a major is great but this has been the normal for the Scottish Open for the last 5/10 years. Should be a great tournament. Golf Channel and CBS are covering it.

The Korn Ferry is playing in Colorado this weekend. I guess the altitude was taken into consideration when the course was designed. 8,029 yard Par 72. The 4 Par 5's measure 573, 624, 638, and 676.

I liked Spanish Bay but loved Spyglass. Along with Pebble Beach those are bucket list golf courses to play.
Played all 3 this week. Loved them all. I played really well at Spyglass so that is a new favorite. We had a great day weather wise at Spyglass except for fog on the first 3 holes - the ones with the great ocean views😊. Pebble is remarkable for so many reasons but I can’t imagine there is any other stretch of 3 holes (6 to 8) where you face 3 of the most memorable, unique shots you will ever hit in your life.

Played all 3 this week. Loved them all. I played really well at Spyglass so that is a new favorite. We had a great day weather wise at Spyglass except for fog on the first 3 holes - the ones with the great ocean views😊. Pebble is remarkable for so many reasons but I can’t imagine there is any other stretch of 3 holes (6 to 8) where you face 3 of the most memorable, unique shots you will ever hit in your life.
Sounds like a blast. I only got to play Pebble (my wife would've mutinied if I played more on our trip to SD, LA, up the coast and then SF/Napa), but your point about 6-8 is spot on. Incredible diversity and beauty on those.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT