ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2023 Golf Thread

I liked what Azinger was saying near the end about Harman's game plan of hitting it straight, but not too far, so as to avoid the bunkers and the worst rough areas, was very similar to how Tiger dominated there when he won - although Tiger was doing it with his 2-iron "stingers" on very dry ground to control his distance, while Harman was doing in on a much wetter course with 3-woods and drivers, but they were essentially both employing similar strategies. Shows how shorter hitters can still win on courses where accuracy is a premium (and chipping/putting, of course).
He isn't a big hitter but is certainly a guy who could hit it straight. I'm going to guess he lead in fairways hit and greens in regulation. Also he was in only 1 bunker all week. That's amazing.

Reactions: RU848789
Some Harmen stats from The Open.

From 10 feet and inside he made 59 of 60 putts. From 5 feet and in he was a perfect 45 for 45.

His total putts of 106 is the lowest by the winner in over 20 years!

Strokes gained/putting was an incredible 11.57

He hit in just 2 bunkers all week. His 2nd was on the last hole after it was evident he was going to win

He isn't a big hitter but is certainly a guy who could hit it straight. I'm going to guess he lead in fairways hit and greens in regulation. Also he was in only 1 bunker all week. That's amazing.
Yup. He hit 75% of fairways and was #1.

Reactions: WhiteBus
SIAP, the short Par 3 17th hole is being redone now that the Open is over. Not because of anything that happened during the Open, rather because of membership complaints. The tee and the right front will be raised to reduce the likelihood of balls rolling off the green into the trap. It has caused bottlenecks with reports of groups taking up to a half hour to play the hole.

SIAP, the short Par 3 17th hole is being redone now that the Open is over. Not because of anything that happened during the Open, rather because of membership complaints. The tee and the right front will be raised to reduce the likelihood of balls rolling off the green into the trap. It has caused bottlenecks with reports of groups taking up to a half hour to play the hole.
I heard on Golf Channel last week that was always the plan. The hole was changed just for The Open. They were hitting from the complete opposite side of the original tee.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Do british clubs have the same pace of play rules as american clubs? Thats insane.

Do british clubs have the same pace of play rules as american clubs? Thats insane.
In my experience when playing in the UK, they want rounds between 3-3:30. And that is walking. Most US country clubs target less than 4 but high end resorts end up closer to 5+. I think we have too many hackers to be honest in the US that just slow things down.

Reactions: Knightmoves
In my experience when playing in the UK, they want rounds between 3-3:30. And that is walking. Most US country clubs target less than 4 but high end resorts end up closer to 5+. I think we have too many hackers to be honest in the US that just slow things down.
Also most Europeans play match play versus stroke play.

Way too many people playing from wrong tees and not knowing when to pick up.

Played with a father son 2 weeks ago. Played from the blues (even with my friend and I nudging them no fewer than 5 times to move forward for everyone’s sake). Finally after the 8th hole we told them we were going to play ahead. Don’t know how they enjoyed themselves. They blew through easily a dozen balls in 7 holes.

Even with being slowed down by them (probably lost 30 minutes) we finished in 4:30. If we stayed with them we were looking at 5 plus.

You can stink at playing and still play fast. Handicap has no bearing on how fast or slow you are. Some of the slowest players are the pros.

Reactions: Joey Bags
Also most Europeans play match play versus stroke play.

Way too many people playing from wrong tees and not knowing when to pick up.

Played with a father son 2 weeks ago. Played from the blues (even with my friend and I nudging them no fewer than 5 times to move forward for everyone’s sake). Finally after the 8th hole we told them we were going to play ahead. Don’t know how they enjoyed themselves. They blew through easily a dozen balls in 7 holes.

Even with being slowed down by them (probably lost 30 minutes) we finished in 4:30. If we stayed with them we were looking at 5 plus.
Disagree about European play more match play. High school and College is loaded with match play. Golf leagues are mostly match play.

Disagree about European play more match play. High school and College is loaded with match play. Golf leagues are mostly match play.
Wasn’t talking about tournaments . I’m talking about playing with your friends. How often do you see people playing match play at your regular weekly tee time? My colleagues in UK would primarily play a match not stroke. They thought it was weird that we would play stroke.

Last edited:
Wasn’t talking about tournaments . I’m talking about playing with your friends. How often do you see people playing match play at your regular weekly tee time? My colleagues in UK would primarily play a match not stroke. They thought it was weird that we would play stroke.
All the time. The friendly golf league is mostly match play. Especially the after work 9 hole league. Actually the only stroke play league I played was the famous NJ Shore Winter League, which is still around.

All the time. The friendly golf league is mostly match play. Especially the after work 9 hole league. Actually the only stroke play league I played was the famous NJ Shore Winter League, which is still around.
Again not talking about leagues. I get leagues are match play. I’m talking about regular tee times. The norm in UK is match not stroke. You replied to a conversation about pace of play on regular municipal, hotel and country club courses Not pace of league play.

On the Korn Ferry Tour, after shooting an 8 Under 63 yesterday to go along with an opening 67, former Rutgers golfer Chris Gotterup is T3 and 1 stroke off the lead going into today's 3rd Round. There are currently 27 players within 3 strokes of the lead lol.

Gotterup stood 42nd on the points list coming into the week. The Top 30 in points at the end of the year receive an exemption into the PGA Tour. He's made 13 of 16 cuts so far with 1 Top 5 finish.

In the 13+ months since turning pro he's earned about $725k.

Last edited:
7 Birdies and 1 Bogey for a 65. Still T3, 2 strokes back. 1 thing that has been holding him back appears to be Driving Accuracy. He's 18 Under while only hitting the fairway 50% of the time which may not be far from his season average. Most of his highlights are recovery shots from the rough lol. He could get away with it more so in college with his length but now he's playing against guys who hit it just as far. His play around the green and putting appear to be better than earlier in the year.

On the Korn Ferry Tour, after shooting an 8 Under 63 yesterday to go along with an opening 67, former Rutgers golfer Chris Gotterup is T3 and 1 stroke off the lead going into today's 3rd Round. There are currently 27 players within 3 strokes of the lead lol.

Gotterup stood 42nd on the points list coming into the week. The Top 30 in points at the end of the year receive an exemption into the PGA Tour. He's made 13 of 16 cuts so far with 1 Top 5 finish.

In the 13+ months since turning pro he's earned about $725k.
You can watch this live on barstool.tv starting at 330.

Did anyone watch the Senior Open? The winds were insane.
No. Watching Korn Ferry. Gotterup has had to scramble to stay in the hunt (2 back). Last 3 his tee shots have been off line. One guy currently 2nd is from Middletown. His dad is the Pro at Suburban GC in Union.

EDIT: Now 1 back. 2 way tie for 1st.

I played a ton during my stays in Ireland back in the 90s/early 2000s - probably played about 75-100 rounds (over about 1 year of cumulative time, including at some of the most famous courses) and can't recall ever taking more than 3:45 to play with most rounds between 3 and 3.5 hours and this was always walking. People just played ready golf - hit, walk to your ball (pausing if needed for someone further away to hit, but everyone doesn't just walk to where the shortest ball is and then walk to their ball after the first person hits their 2nd shot), hit and so on. Loved playing golf over there.

I played a ton during my stays in Ireland back in the 90s/early 2000s - probably played about 75-100 rounds (over about 1 year of cumulative time, including at some of the most famous courses) and can't recall ever taking more than 3:45 to play with most rounds between 3 and 3.5 hours and this was always walking. People just played ready golf - hit, walk to your ball (pausing if needed for someone further away to hit, but everyone doesn't just walk to where the shortest ball is and then walk to their ball after the first person hits their 2nd shot), hit and so on. Loved playing golf over there.
So it wasn't match play? It was ready play. That's what I played all my life. As @kupuna133 says that's all the play over there, everyone plays match play only.

Last edited:
So Gotterup shoots 66 (-5) which is amazing considering he missed the green on both Par 3's and only hit the fairway 2 of the other 7 holes on the back 9. His -23 places him 4th, 2 back. The other Jersey guy finished 1 stroke ahead in 3rd. There's a playoff between the 2 guys who finished at -25.

I'm guessing he'll move up around 5 spots in points with 7 tourneys left.

There is a new Korn Ferry tournament at Metedeconk on August 17-20, last event of regular season. Will try to check it out, tickets are only $25 and kids free.

Havent played there yet, looks quite spread out so not sure how great a viewing experience it will be.

So it wasn't match play? It was ready play. That's what I played all my life. As @kupuna133 says that's all the play over there, everyone plays match play only.
Didn’t say only. I said it was preferred and mostly play match. One reason why pace of play is better. You insert yourself in a conversation and misconstrue what is said. It truly is odd.

Didn’t say only. I said it was preferred and mostly play match. One reason why pace of play is better. You insert yourself in a conversation and misconstrue what is said. It truly is odd.
This is your quote. Not mine.
"Also most Europeans play match play versus stroke play."
Nothing about preferred.
What's odd if you're a 4some. How are you playing match play.? Only playing against one other guy or the other 3?

There is a new Korn Ferry tournament at Metedeconk on August 17-20, last event of regular season. Will try to check it out, tickets are only $25 and kids free.

Havent played there yet, looks quite spread out so not sure how great a viewing experience it will be.
It was mentioned during the broadcast that Gotterup is a fan favorite. Hopefully he gets a big following in his back yard as I figure will McCarthy. Also, hopefully no one lets out a big sneeze during his backswing as happened on 18 yesterday lol. It wasn't a huge crowd by golf standards but the last 3-4 groups seemed to have spectator issues.

Reactions: rcube1994
This is your quote. Not mine.
"Also most Europeans play match play versus stroke play."
Nothing about preferred.
What's odd if you're a 4some. How are you playing match play.? Only playing against one other guy or the other 3?
Are you deliberately being obtuse?
2v2 match.
Worked with and played with Brit’s and other Europeans for the better part of 30 years. Most Brit’s while playing at their club or regular tee time will play match not stroke.

They thought it was odd that 4 people playing together, or playing regularly would play stroke play. They would say stroke play slows down play. When players are out of contention they pick up their ball rather than carding an 8.

Are you deliberately being obtuse?
2v2 match.
Worked with and played with Brit’s and other Europeans for the better part of 30 years. Most Brit’s while playing at their club or regular tee time will play match not stroke.

They thought it was odd that 4 people playing together, or playing regularly would play stroke play. They would say stroke play slows down play. When players are out of contention they pick up their ball rather than carding an 8.
Yes but that's my point. It only works at membership clubs or leagues as they are the only ones that have handicaps. 2vs2 on a regular basis sure sounds like a league to me! People that play at random public courses will not have handicaps. And that's where the slowest play is. Of course member clubs, whether stoke or match play, will play faster then a public course.
Anyone playing anywhere that is approaching double par on a single hole should just pick up! Stroke play included. It's not the type of play that makes it faster or slower. It's the players themselves.
And the 2vs2 is called four ball.

Yes but that's my point. It only works at membership clubs or leagues as they are the only ones that have handicaps. 2vs2 on a regular basis sure sounds like a league to me! People that play at random public courses will not have handicaps. And that's where the slowest play is. Of course member clubs, whether stoke or match play, will play faster then a public course.
Anyone playing anywhere that is approaching double par on a single hole should just pick up! Stroke play included. It's not the type of play that makes it faster or slower. It's the players themselves.
And the 2vs2 is called four ball.
Agreed it does work better at member clubs. But the point is people in the US are more into “what they shoot” and stroke play versus Europeans. Which slows everything down. And very few people pick up especially on public courses.

Did you at any point have a regular 4 some or a standing tee time? Did you say that was a league?

And yes I know it’s called 4 ball but very few people outside of present company on this thread know the terminology. Hahaahah

Agreed it does work better at member clubs. But the point is people in the US are more into “what they shoot” and stroke play versus Europeans. Which slows everything down. And very few people pick up especially on public courses.

Did you at any point have a regular 4 some or a standing tee time? Did you say that was a league?

And yes I know it’s called 4 ball but very few people outside of present company on this thread know the terminology. Hahaahah
Never had it a regular tee time with the same 4 people. Mostly as I worked at courses and played all the time and didn't need tee times or even had to pay.
However, it would only work at member clubs who all agree to play that way. Once the first group wants to play stoke play the rest of the people will waiting on every shot.
Could never work in the US. 90% of all rounds are played at public playing courses. That is why I was questioning you "majority" statement.
Every Saturday from April to end of September one club I worked at had a different style event each week. If you didn't want to play that certain format you had to wait to play in the afternoon.
Also in high school and college you do play true match play against multiple opponents at the same time. Some were scheduled, some the results of rainouts. Mostly against 2 other players but we did start a season in HS against 3. Trust me it wasn't a good pace of play.
Our leagues were never with the same opponent. Each week a new player.

Was going to play it next Friday for work but had to reschedule.

Slow golfers are exceedingly frustrating and the offenders never claim they’re slow. If you can’t complete 18 holes walking in 3:45 (I usually demand 3:30 max) you’re definitely slow. Forget all the pomp and circumstance, play ready golf. Chances are you’re not doing this for a living.
In terms of pace of play. It’s not that Europeans play more Mach play than stroke play that makes them get it right. It’s their culture and intolerance of stupid habits people have imitated from TV. Don’t ever take more than 1 practice swing, don’t ask for a mulligan, and be ready to go at all times. If you are behind a four hour round move up a tee box. I don’t care if you’re already playing white tees. If you’re over 4 hours, play the senior tees. Still over 4 hours, move up to the ladies tees. Still can’t keep up…buy pickleball equipment.

At my club we have a dozen guys that always partner in the first 3 groups (in season), and never take more than 3 hours. When I get paired with slow players in the club championship or other tournaments. It drives me crazy.

Slow golfers are exceedingly frustrating and the offenders never claim they’re slow. If you can’t complete 18 holes walking in 3:45 (I usually demand 3:30 max) you’re definitely slow. Forget all the pomp and circumstance, play ready golf. Chances are you’re not doing this for a living.
In terms of pace of play. It’s not that Europeans play more Mach play than stroke play that makes them get it right. It’s their culture and intolerance of stupid habits people have imitated from TV. Don’t ever take more than 1 practice swing, don’t ask for a mulligan, and be ready to go at all times. If you are behind a four hour round move up a tee box. I don’t care if you’re already playing white tees. If you’re over 4 hours, play the senior tees. Still over 4 hours, move up to the ladies tees. Still can’t keep up…buy pickleball equipment.

At my club we have a dozen guys that always partner in the first 3 groups (in season), and never take more than 3 hours. When I get paired with slow players in the club championship or other tournaments. It drives me crazy.
Do what I've done. Just keep playing ahead of them. You putt in and walk to the next hole. Have a friend stay behind to keep his score for you.
More time is wasted on stupid things. Like guys waiting for a par 5 to clear when he has no shot making in two.

I find I play 30-45 min quicker walking than riding if I have a cart partner

Walking and playing ready is so much faster then cart golf!
Yes, unless you are unable to, you should always walk. My club (walking only, caddies required) has very strict pace guidelines, and fourballs come in at <4 hours walking with caddies. If you're an unimpeded twoball, your pace is 3 hours. If you finish behind pace, you get a warning. Two strikes and you lose access to the sheet for a bit, three strikes and you're suspended. With a huge emphasis on pace and 15 min tee time intervals, it's a fantastic experience.

Yes, unless you are unable to, you should always walk. My club (walking only, caddies required) has very strict pace guidelines, and fourballs come in at <4 hours walking with caddies. If you're an unimpeded twoball, your pace is 3 hours. If you finish behind pace, you get a warning. Two strikes and you lose access to the sheet for a bit, three strikes and you're suspended. With a huge emphasis on pace and 15 min tee time intervals, it's a fantastic experience.
I absolutely prefer walking. Can’t tell you how many times our walking group is held up by cart traffic in front. There is no reason even at busy municipal courses that pace of play should be above 4:15.

I absolutely prefer walking. Can’t tell you how many times our walking group is held up by cart traffic in front. There is no reason even at busy municipal courses that pace of play should be above 4:15.
Carded a 4:45 at my local muni on sunday, was brutal

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT