ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any Burned Out Teachers in Here?

Maybe we can find a realistic, honest, happy medium in this discussion. I don’t believe most teachers run out the door or do nothing after 3. At the same time, they sure as hell aren’t working as hard as an active CEO.
Well it’s not the same job for one.

Two, the better comparison is the CEO vs. superintendent. As it seems no one likes them. LOL

Maybe we can find a realistic, honest, happy medium in this discussion. I don’t believe most teachers run out the door or do nothing after 3. At the same time, they sure as hell aren’t working as hard as an active CEO.
I'm sure plenty of teachers (and others) wouldn't mind making tens of millions of dollars for working harder. A better comparison is probably other public service type jobs. I know a ton of teachers, mostly in their 50s, and they're still working their asses off - way more than 40 hrs/wk, plus many pay for supplies for their students. I think the public and this board spend far too much time focusing on the 10-20% of teachers who suck at their jobs and not the 80-90%, who love teaching and work very hard at it.

They don't get paid like a CEO so why would they?

Reactions: RU-AGK
I'm sure plenty of teachers (and others) wouldn't mind making tens of millions of dollars for working harder. A better comparison is probably other public service type jobs. I know a ton of teachers, mostly in their 50s, and they're still working their asses off - way more than 40 hrs/wk, plus many pay for supplies for their students. I think the public and this board spend far too much time focusing on the 10-20% of teachers who suck at their jobs and not the 80-90%, who love teaching and work very hard at it.

Which is why the tenure system at many districts is a major problem IMHO. Tenure at most colleges and universities happens years later in comparison. And that 80-90% have nothing to worry about unless politics are involved.

The way NJ handles the student teaching boils my blood considering its basically an apprentice position. Student teaching is done while you are in college and its very hard to do until your 5th year since its mostly a full time job. So not only are they not getting paid to go work in this job but they are paying a full year of tuition to whatever school they are attending.
My student is from TCNJ. She got the 3,000 dollar student teaching stipend from the state. I wish I had that when I was student teaching as then I wouldn't have worked on weekends.

Also, not sure if this is common but starting this Fall my school district is offering a student teaching program that will give them up to a 10,000 dollar stipend upon completion of the requirements of the program. I guess they're trying to retain the good candidates and give them jobs in district.

https://www.ww-p.org/newsroom/news/w_w-_p_new_student_teacher_program_offers_stipend

Reactions: newell138
Which is why the tenure system at many districts is a major problem IMHO. Tenure at most colleges and universities happens years later in comparison. And that 80-90% have nothing to worry about unless politics are involved.
The nationwide teacher shortage is a real thing, impacting all levels of teaching. They should be finding ways to make teaching more attractive, not taking away one of it's perks. Push tenure farther down the road sure, but don't just get rid of it.

The nationwide teacher shortage is a real thing, impacting all levels of teaching. They should be finding ways to make teaching more attractive, not taking away one of it's perks. Push tenure farther down the road sure, but don't just get rid of it.

Farther down the road. Agreed. Colleges I believe is 7 years. How about 5?

You're wrong on both counts. But I'm not going to argue with you about it because I've been down that path and I know how that goes. Anyway, my 26 minute lunch is over, so I've got ot go back to work.
Good for you to not feed the troll. I think this conversation is interesting because most people are just talking facts and speaking about their situations. I appreciate that this thread hasn't had to be locked.....yet. lol

Farther down the road. Agreed. Colleges I believe is 7 years. How about 5?
That would be perfectly fine I think if it would be helpful. If the admins are ok, you need not fear having no tenure. But therein lies the problem in many places....

Reactions: RU-AGK
I honestly can’t recall a single time hearing a friend or family complain about teachers in general. Very occasional complaints about a specific teacher or situation, yes. But not overarching complaints.

The very vocal minority creates a false impression that the general public has a negative opinion of teachers.

Maybe you should point out the better comparison to the guy who actually made the comparison

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Salary.com makes some of the pay I'm reading here look a little off base
>How much does a Public School Teacher make in New Jersey? The average Public School Teacher salary in New Jersey is $63,510 as of March 26, 2024, but the range typically falls between $53,024 and $77,477. Salary ranges can vary widely depending on the city and many other important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession.<
https://www.salary.com/research/salary/benchmark/public-school-teacher-salary/nj

How much does a Teacher make in New Jersey?​

As of Apr 9, 2024, the average annual pay for a Teacher in New Jersey is $43,214 a year. Just in case you need a simple salary calculator, that works out to be approximately $20.78 an hour. This is the equivalent of $831/week or $3,601/month.

While ZipRecruiter is seeing salaries as high as $70,558 and as low as $21,320, the majority of Teacher salaries currently range between $34,000 (25th percentile) to $57,900 (75th percentile) with top earners (90th percentile) making $64,467 annually in New Jersey.
https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/Teacher-Salary--in-New-Jersey
Those sites provide estimates and are very rarely accurate. More importantly, it's moot because public teacher salaries are public information. Quick google shows nj.com article saying average salary in NJ was over $75k and that was 8ish years ago.

Good for you to not feed the troll. I think this conversation is interesting because most people are just talking facts and speaking about their situations. I appreciate that this thread hasn't had to be locked.....yet. lol
lol troll

your post wreaks of irony but you don't see that clearly

back on point, we have more than enough applicants for the very few openings we have. When you break down the so called 'shortage' tell me what you both see? I'll wait

Again, maybe follow the thread and look at the post I quoted. Amazing how many people love to comment without actually knowing what’s going on or what someone is referencing.
par for the course. the mere fact anyone is even discussing/comparing CEOs shows clear ignorance

Maybe you should point out the better comparison to the guy who actually made the comparison
he can't help himself, it's his liberal know it all knee jerk reaction to comment on things he doesn't have a clue about

Teachers are well paid for their time, service provided, and educational level (some might even question that with the online education degree nonsense)

Nothing incorrect about that, just don’t want it taught in school

Would rather my tax dollars go towards real life things that can benefit her, not that nonsense
agree
education is big business now, you'd be amazed to look through some of the municipal budget items and various 'allowances'

I will say that teachers are between a rock and hard place now. It's hard for them to discipline and they will often have zero support from the politically motivated administration. Let's not even discuss the common core and it's teaching to lower band of the mean window. I've yet to hear a single teacher profess any liking to common core or the standardized testing. Much of the actual teaching is taken from the teacher now.

he can't help himself, it's his liberal know it all knee jerk reaction to comment on things he doesn't have a clue about

Teachers are well paid for their time, service provided, and educational level (some might even question that with the online education degree nonsense)
You have some valid points mixed in with condescending smugness. Every teacher I know has a masters. Most are not online degrees.

If an engineer makes $90k coming out of college and I'm making $90k in my 24th year, how am I well paid for my time?

My student is from TCNJ. She got the 3,000 dollar student teaching stipend from the state. I wish I had that when I was student teaching as then I wouldn't have worked on weekends.

Also, not sure if this is common but starting this Fall my school district is offering a student teaching program that will give them up to a 10,000 dollar stipend upon completion of the requirements of the program. I guess they're trying to retain the good candidates and give them jobs in district.

https://www.ww-p.org/newsroom/news/w_w-_p_new_student_teacher_program_offers_stipend
That’s great actually.

You have some valid points mixed in with condescending smugness. Every teacher I know has a masters. Most are not online degrees.

If an engineer makes $90k coming out of college and I'm making $90k in my 24th year, how am I well paid for my time?
without being smug, do I really need to explain that to you? I honestly feel if I do then you are qualifying my intimation

some fun reading

without being smug, do I really need to explain that to you? I honestly feel if I do then you are qualifying my intimation

some fun reading

I read the first article, which is opinion. I agree with him there is a retention problem.

I Googled teaching jobs in Delaware. There are over 300 teaching positions unfilled. To me that's a shortage.

Why do you think they are unfilled?

95- you really have some weird takes on life...So- classes may run 6 hours or so- I don't know a single teacher that punches their clock in and out with the students. Most are working late at night grading papers, setting up the next day- continued education, attending school functions, running to staples to buy supplies, etc.

And I am not a teacher- but I do know what type of schedules most of them take- yes, there are some lazy teachers but most work like a CEO.
95 is best ignored like T2K, both have hard takes on things they know nothing about and always whiff on facts and reality.

agree
education is big business now, you'd be amazed to look through some of the municipal budget items and various 'allowances'

I will say that teachers are between a rock and hard place now. It's hard for them to discipline and they will often have zero support from the politically motivated administration. Let's not even discuss the common core and it's teaching to lower band of the mean window. I've yet to hear a single teacher profess any liking to common core or the standardized testing. Much of the actual teaching is taken from the teacher now.
Good points here- hard to discipline these days, no administration support, moving of goalposts in terms of what they signed up to teach versus what is required now, etc etc. You’ve made the perfect case for why some teachers are burnt out.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs

some fun reading

i have no knowledge if there is a teacher shortage or not but I do know the district that my daughter teaches in Cape May County, they are laying off every teacher that does not have tenure at the end of the year, it amounts to about 30 teachers. So thats 30 teachers available for employment in this small section of NJ and thats only 1 district. Add that my previous home in South Brunswick is laying off a whole bunch of teachers due to budget cuts. Losing $10MM in the span of 6 years is quite a hit

There has been a steady decline in state aid to South Brunswick in the last six years. In 2018-2019, the district received $24.7 million and for the upcoming school year, the district was allotted $14.2 million.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: rurichdog
I read the first article, which is opinion. I agree with him there is a retention problem.

I Googled teaching jobs in Delaware. There are over 300 teaching positions unfilled. To me that's a shortage.

Why do you think they are unfilled?

This is when teaching jobs are posted due to openings anticipated for the next year. A lot of the job openings in NJ are for Pre-K now that Murphy has mandated every school district offer pre-K while at the same time cutting budgets to districts not named Newark. So yes, there are many job openings right now, and they will most likely all be filled for next year.

agree

You'd have to truly love teaching and educating students to get into teaching now

The game has changed so much in terms of expectations, support, kids, parents, curriculum and of course benefits (health and pension)

One thing I'll say is I substitute taught in college; while you could mail it in for a day or 2, teachers, by and large, cannot have off days

I did middle school and thought that was ideal. HS too big for the britches, elementary too young for my patience

Reactions: rubigtimenow
This is when teaching jobs are posted due to openings anticipated for the next year. A lot of the job openings in NJ are for Pre-K now that Murphy has mandated every school district offer pre-K while at the same time cutting budgets to districts not named Newark. So yes, there are many job openings right now, and they will most likely all be filled for next year.
the pre-k was a political move and in no way should the tax payer be forced to subsidize low income families further

One reason why people might not want to be teachers. My sister was a teacher in Paterson for over 30 years. She told me an incident where her student, a third grader, accused her of calling him the N word. The parents wanted her fired but the principal backed my sister and didn’t believe the accusation. Her 10 years old grand daughter wants to be a teacher but she has too much intelligence to waste in a classroom and she already has expensive taste to just be a teacher. We’ll change her mind when she gets older.

Last edited:
  • Sad
The way NJ handles the student teaching boils my blood considering its basically an apprentice position. Student teaching is done while you are in college and its very hard to do until your 5th year since its mostly a full time job. So not only are they not getting paid to go work in this job but they are paying a full year of tuition to whatever school they are attending.
My cooperating teacher had a heart attack 10 days into my student teaching. Being that is was a rural school and chemistry they knew they couldn’t find long term sub. So they got an elementary Ed sub to sit in the room for legal reasons and I taught everything.

• Wow

Again, maybe follow the thread and look at the post I quoted. Amazing how many people love to comment without actually knowing what’s going on or what someone is referencing.
It’s a 4+ page (so far) thread that I thought I was following? LOL

So guess I missed the post you’re talking about. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift

And after you retire next year, what’s your pension per year over the next 50years?

And after you retire next year, what’s your pension per year over the next 50years?
Pendants are huge, additionally since teachers work approximately eight months per year, that 90,000 is roughly 120k averaged out over 12 months

For some killer benefits, the abilities for teachers to tutor, due after school activities as well as Coach sports, and it’s really not a bad gig

• Love
lol troll

your post wreaks of irony but you don't see that clearly

back on point, we have more than enough applicants for the very few openings we have. When you break down the so called 'shortage' tell me what you both see? I'll wait
sidebar: please explain "wreak" usage.

• Haha
Reactions: RUnTeX
Which was…

hairpullingout.emoji LOL
yesrutgers01
95- you really have some weird takes on life...So- classes may run 6 hours or so- I don't know a single teacher that punches their clock in and out with the students. Most are working late at night grading papers, setting up the next day- continued education, attending school functions, running to staples to buy supplies, etc.

And I am not a teacher- but I do know what type of schedules most of them take- yes, there are some lazy teachers but most work like a CEO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT