ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any Burned Out Teachers in Here?

Last edited:
Ocean county is impacted by the changing demographics.

Also, the previous funding formula overpaid the large Ocean County towns and underpaid the large Middlesex county towns.

Yeah in JC the school board apparently has no city council oversight and went off and somehow caused a major tax increase on their own which has led to a massive blowback. Probably the only district in NJ that contains both top 50 worst and best schools.

A quick google found this
How Much Do Teachers Get Paid? See New State-by-State Data
https://www.edweek.org/teaching-lea...-get-paid-see-new-state-by-state-data/2023/04
Not sure what point you are trying to make. Again, if you followed along you would know that link doesn’t help. A few posts ago, someone stated teachers pensions are capped. Well they are capped at 168k a year. That cap is obviously for show as this entire thread is people complaining that teachers are underpaid.

Fair enough. I could have worded it better. Assume you paid to contribution for 25 years, retire ant 50, and don’t collect until 70. That’s almost 300k minus interest just sitting for 20 years.

Your benefit is increasing during those years, kind of like a zero coupon bond. And given, assuming the system doesn't collapse, the benefit gets adjusted up every year it's not sitting there doing nothing. If you are 50 and in that situation now, your annual benefit 20 years from now could be 70-100k per year depending on inflation.

Which is 168k. We have an entire thread talking about how teachers don’t get paid enough. So how many teachers are making 168k? If you work 30 years I believe that’s like 7600
It is capped the same as social security that is in response to your reply about comparing the pension and social security.

Here is other comparison

You contribute more to the pension than you do to social security

Social security provides a COLA. Currently and for the past 10+ years there is no COLA for the pension

Social Security provides your spouse up to 50% of your social security. To provide that with the pension you have to agree to reduce your pension

So as I asked do you agree that social security pays less than people could earn by investing on their own? And do you think social security should be at least double for middle class earners or is it a fair amount?

It is capped the same as social security that is in response to your reply about comparing the pension and social security.

Here is other comparison

You contribute more to the pension than you do to social security

Social security provides a COLA. Currently and for the past 10+ years there is no COLA for the pension

Social Security provides your spouse up to 50% of your social security. To provide that with the pension you have to agree to reduce your pension

So as I asked do you agree that social security pays less than people could earn by investing on their own? And do you think social security should be at least double for middle class earners or is it a fair amount?
In my case, I would definitely have made more investing it myself vs SS. But SS isn’t meant for me, it’s a safety net for our seniors. I’m fully comfortable knowing that I will probably never see $1 of SS in my life. I’m 47, by the time I’m 70 I’m sure Washington will Have legislated my money away.

• Haha
Reactions: ashokan and BossNJ
Yes, the pension alleviates a lot of the risk, but it is also funded similar to a 401k with both the employer and employee making contributions.

It is very similar to social security. Do you think social security pays a fair amount for what you contribute?

Many employers don't contribute to a 401K. That's not the norm.

The teachers pensions are basically a ponzi scheme at this point, much like SS.

Many employers don't contribute to a 401K. That's not the norm.

The teachers pensions are basically a ponzi scheme at this point, much like SS.
Most large employers do contribute to a 401k however so the comparison is not to the local deli but to the largest employers in the country

And in NJ the local boards of education contribute zero for a teachers pension or social security. Both those are funded by the State government and have been since around 1994.

Most large employers do contribute to a 401k however so the comparison is not to the local deli but to the largest employers in the country

And the local boards of education contribute zero for a teachers pension or social security. Both those are funded by the State government and have been since around 1992.

There are a lot more smaller and medium size companies that don't.

Good. They shouldn't. Test scores are rapidly declining. Teachers unions demanding to work from home well after it was known that children's educations were being severely retarded was a disgrace.

Don't go into teaching if you want to make a lot of money. And certainly don't cry about it when the product that is being delivered is horrific. The test scores of the average public school kid is a joke compared to their peers. When you look at how much we spend per pupil it gets even worse.

As a taxpayer I am not getting nearly my monies worth from this mess of an institution.

Reactions: Lerxst72
City schools are more interested in diversity than they are in good schools. WE had good schools and city leaders demanded change.

Reactions: Caliknight
City schools are more interested in diversity than they are in good schools. WE had good schools and city leaders demanded change.

You should see the disaster that is the Ca public school system. Even public schools like Beverly Hills High is a joke. No one sends their kids there that doesn't have to.

SS is capped. I will never come close to getting out of it what I put in.
  • Age 62: The maximum benefit is $2,710 per month
  • Full retirement age: Between 66 and 67, the maximum benefit is $3,822 per month
  • Age 70: The maximum benefit is $4,873 per month, but only if you wait until 70 to start receiving benefits
How are these two things anything alike?
This is a disgrace that we all have to wait until 70 to get the full benefits that we all paid into. I’ll be in an urn or a coffee can way before 70 years old.

This is a disgrace that we all have to wait until 70 to get the full benefits that we all paid into. I’ll be in an urn or a coffee can way before 70 years old.

That's like a rollover IRA where you wait until 70 (or 73). Unless you invest poorly you have more. It makes perfect sense.

Not sure what point you are trying to make. Again, if you followed along you would know that link doesn’t help. A few posts ago, someone stated teachers pensions are capped. Well they are capped at 168k a year. That cap is obviously for show as this entire thread is people complaining that teachers are underpaid.
My reply was for this question you asked:
"So how many teachers are making 168k? "

You should see the disaster that is the Ca public school system. Even public schools like Beverly Hills High is a joke. No one sends their kids there that doesn't have to.

I get it. The kicker is the politicians who promoted this chit all send their kids to private schools using the methods the politicians wanted to change.

Many of the big cities have ZERO elected officials who send their kids to non charter public high schools. Zero in DC or Philly.

In Philly there are 20,000 reported crimes in the public schools each year. Many years there are zero expulsions. That is hard to believe.

In the burbs they make the violent kids leave and go to reform school. In the cities the good kids have to leave and find a charter. Cities are now spending hundreds of millions or billions building charters in the same neighborhoods as the public schools. The result of that is the public school is now half empty and the taxpayers have to pay for two schools vs one. In a neighborhood like strawberry mansion the public school was originally built for 2000. The school now has 140 students. WTF. Liberal logic.

I can fix the schools tomorrow. Liberals would be against the plan. Eliminate all new charters. Convert the worst school in each section of a city into a prison style reform school. Violent students will be expelled and sent to the reform schools. No round ball in the reform schools. Those students need to learn how to many my fries hot. I would also eliminate busing and school choice.

My reply was for this question you asked:
"So how many teachers are making 168k? "

In the conservative suburbs 100k+ is very common. In the cities they spend the money on school cops, metal detectors, free lunch, free everything and they have tons of special ed teachers to babysit the future criminals.

Reactions: Caliknight
That's like a rollover IRA where you wait until 70 (or 73). Unless you invest poorly you have more. It makes perfect sense.
Yeah well. Don’t call me an idiot…
Call me a broke idiot.

I get it. The kicker is the politicians who promoted this chit all send their kids to private schools using the methods the politicians wanted to change.

Many of the big cities have ZERO elected officials who send their kids to non charter public high schools. Zero in DC or Philly.

In Philly there are 20,000 reported crimes in the public schools each year. Many years there are zero expulsions. That is hard to believe.

In the burbs they make the violent kids leave and go to reform school. In the cities the good kids have to leave and find a charter. Cities are now spending hundreds of millions or billions building charters in the same neighborhoods as the public schools. The result of that is the public school is now half empty and the taxpayers have to pay for two schools vs one. In a neighborhood like strawberry mansion the public school was originally built for 2000. The school now has 140 students. WTF. Liberal logic.

I can fix the schools tomorrow. Liberals would be against the plan. Eliminate all new charters. Convert the worst school in each section of a city into a prison style reform school. Violent students will be expelled and sent to the reform schools. No round ball in the reform schools. Those students need to learn how to many my fries hot. I would also eliminate busing and school choice.

Sp true.

Gavin Newsom is the perfect example. His little privledged kids were sitting in person in a posh private school as he was telling everyone it was dangerous for kids to be in school and they had to be remote. It's almost like they want to keep their voters uneducated.

Who can forget that Randi Weingarten was a major contributor in helping the Joey's craft their Covid response. What the hell does a union head know about infectious disease response?

The teachers unions own liberal politicians asses.

It applies to supers and other administrative personnel who are in the same pension
I understand that but in this context, a poster claimed teachers were capped similar to SS.

I posted that the pension and social security had common or similar components

The salary limit is one even though most TPAF members and social security eligible individuals never reach the maximum

I posted that the pension and social security had common or similar components

The salary limit is one even though most TPAF members and social security eligible individuals never reach the maximum
Meh. You posted it as if it was a restriction it’s not. If the cap doesn’t actually come into play how is it a similar component?

I know that my SIL working in the Arlington SD in Poughkeepsie NY makes enough on her pension after 35 years of teaching that neither she or my brother really have to work at this point. As well as any savings and investments. She had been over 6 figures since about 2000 and Poughkeepsie NY isn't what you would call a place that was a high rate of living- I doubt a medium house price is over 300k and I know they git their for about 90k in early 90's.
My brother works and is still making in that 150k area on top of her teacher pension. They are now super comfortable and could just retire completely if they wanted in their late 50's.

My best friend growing up did his years in the Town of Poughkeepsie Police dept. Never above Srgt but was also swat and small arms instructor. Worked tons of overtime and retired about 2010 at the age of 48 with a 6 figure pension- then went on to be a professor of criminal law at New Paltz and Chief of Police in Red Hook NY...

The funny thing(really, not so much) it comes down to where you work your public services jobs. Who would guess a Town of Poughkeepsie would be paying police and teachers well above the national average.

I know that my SIL working in the Arlington SD in Poughkeepsie NY makes enough on her pension after 35 years of teaching that neither she or my brother really have to work at this point. As well as any savings and investments. She had been over 6 figures since about 2000 and Poughkeepsie NY isn't what you would call a place that was a high rate of living- I doubt a medium house price is over 300k and I know they git their for about 90k in early 90's.
My brother works and is still making in that 150k area on top of her teacher pension. They are now super comfortable and could just retire completely if they wanted in their late 50's.

My best friend growing up did his years in the Town of Poughkeepsie Police dept. Never above Srgt but was also swat and small arms instructor. Worked tons of overtime and retired about 2010 at the age of 48 with a 6 figure pension- then went on to be a professor of criminal law at New Paltz and Chief of Police in Red Hook NY...

The funny thing(really, not so much) it comes down to where you work your public services jobs. Who would guess a Town of Poughkeepsie would be paying police and teachers well above the national average.
Maybe somebody who researched it. Lol
It’s all public knowledge. People in this thread saying they know teachers who can’t get jobs….. in small south jersey towns. Shocker. Drove north to Paterson or Newark. Jobs a plenty.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
So back to the OP’s question.
The answer would be No ..and a resounding No
We are all just not answering his question

Meh. You posted it as if it was a restriction it’s not. If the cap doesn’t actually come into play how is it a similar component?
Are both social security and the pension subject to the cap? Does the cap come into play for a small minority of people covered by the pension and social security- yes. Someone could teach for 20 years and then become an administrator and make over $168,000 - they are in the teachers pension and ultimately impacted by the cap. Same as social security.

You want to dodge that social security and the pension have similar components because you want to argue that social security does not pay what the contributions would create if you invested them yourselves but argue the pension is too lucrative. Even though you contribute more to the pension, do not receive a COLA while you do with social security and unlike social security which provides a spousal benefit the pension only provides a spousal benefit if you take a reduction in your pension.

Reactions: TRU2RU

I am not certain, but I would not be surprised if the NY teachers' pension was better than the NJ teachers' pension. I am certain that the NY State employee pension is far superior to the NJ State employee pension. Proof of that is that all Port Authority workers are in the NY pension not the NJ pension even if you work in NJ for the Port Authority. In NY overtime counts towards your pension. Not so in NJ. They receive a COLA not in NJ and the big deal was that employee contributions have been higher in NJ forever in comparison to NY.

Here is a chart for NY. In comparison all teachers and NJ State workers' pay 7.5%

I am not certain, but I would not be surprised if the NY teachers' pension was better than the NJ teachers' pension. I am certain that the NY State employee pension is far superior to the NJ State employee pension. Proof of that is that all Port Authority workers are in the NY pension not the NJ pension even if you work in NJ for the Port Authority. In NY overtime counts towards your pension. Not so in NJ. They receive a COLA not in NJ and the big deal was that employee contributions have been higher in NJ forever in comparison to NY.

Here is a chart for NY. In comparison all teachers and NJ State workers' pay 7.5%

and yet, things like unemployment and workers comp is better for employees in NJ...

Are both social security and the pension subject to the cap? Does the cap come into play for a small minority of people covered by the pension and social security- yes. Someone could teach for 20 years and then become an administrator and make over $168,000 - they are in the teachers pension and ultimately impacted by the cap. Same as social security.

You want to dodge that social security and the pension have similar components because you want to argue that social security does not pay what the contributions would create if you invested them yourselves but argue the pension is too lucrative. Even though you contribute more to the pension, do not receive a COLA while you do with social security and unlike social security which provides a spousal benefit the pension only provides a spousal benefit if you take a reduction in your pension.
You can type as many words as you want. You said TEACHERS are hurt by the cap. They are not. The rest is just justification. Teachers aren’t administrators any more than minor League players are in the MLB

It’s a 4+ page (so far) thread that I thought I was following? LOL

So guess I missed the post you’re talking about. 🤷‍♂️
How Dare You Greta GIF

When I read that post to which you responded, was like:

What The Wtf GIF by Justin

Next time, get a team on it to comb through the posts. Pro tip: it will be infinitely more difficult to find said posts if you have posters on ignore. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: newell138
I am surprised no one mentioned gym teachers. A really good gig is public school elementary gym. Lots of former athletes , who aren’t necessarily great scholars, go into this. Some scholars do too.
You can make good money and also coach and do camps and such in some districts . You get to wear sweatpants and jerseys to work. Play kickball and shoot hoops.
No parents care to be up your ass for elementary gym and they don’t visit you on parent teachers night.
I never met one elementary gym teacher that didn’t like their job. All they say is just make sure you have an iron clad lesson plan (even if you don’t follow it) and make sure you are supervising the kids so they don’t get hurt and sue.
Well not as easy as it used to be. Gym teachers are now teaching the mandatory health/family life classes too. Much easier being a gym teacher years ago.

Well not as easy as it used to be. Gym teachers are now teaching the mandatory health/family life classes too. Much easier being a gym teacher years ago.
I don’t think in many elementary schools (k-5) that is the case . The health lessons are done by the classroom teacher. The elementary gym teachers I know do not teach health.
That is why I limited the “good gig” to being exclusive to elementary gym (k-5 schools)
Once you get into middle school grades and above the gym teachers might do health too

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT