ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anybody Waiting for their Kid's Early Decision/Action for College?

In this weekends WSJ there is a fascinating interview with Mitch Daniels. Purdue hasn't raised tuition, room & board even once since he became President 5 years ago. They also have an interesting financing program. Well worth the read.

Knight Shift and others in the know:

So my son just got his acceptance to ND (not binding). Our approach was since he was applying to some very high end places, why not apply to a couple of highly selective Catholic Universities too. He attends Catholic HS. Still waiting to hear from a couple of Ivy's along with UVA, UNC, Wake.

Any comments on ND appreciated.

Congrats to your son, One of my kids is a senior at ND. Admitted early like your son but did not select ND until financial aid packages were sent out. ND is very generous with FA. Picked ND over Michigan, UVA, Vandy and RU ( all my kids are required to apply there). Best decision ever. The opportunities there for those students are incredible and the networking is fantastic. Had two summer internships with great companies and already has a great paying job lined up after graduation. Took me a while to get over the “ND” thing… and still don’t root that much for them, but glad to see those seniors enjoy their run at the CFP. Overall fantastic experience. No frats or sororities there, so the students basically get placed in a dorm and stay in the same dorm for three or four years, and the dorms become more of a fraternal type experience. Dorm’s have intramural teams that they really get involved with and the kids really bond within the dorms. Don’t go to the admitted student event in February if you don’t want your kid to attend ND!! That event blew us away, and there was no question what school would be the winner after that event. They just offer so much in the way of support and other opportunities to the kids.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I should amend my statement to say unless you're going to an elite college. Anything out of the top 20. Rutgers, for instance.
On that, I will mostly agree (expand to top 30-40), except if the prospective student is interested in some sort of special major such as hospitality management, arts, etc., or they are the type of student that needs/strongly desires a much smaller college.
This also applies if the family does not have the funds to pay for college and the student will graduate with a significant debt. Many Ivies and and elites are giving full rides to applicants who are first generation college students.

UVA has a program that guarantees you admission after 2 yrs of CC with all credits transferred as long as you take the classes they want you to take and get the min grades. Great idea.
So does Rutgers. That is a great option to save money and get a degree from a great State University. Rutgers does this too.

UVA has a program that guarantees you admission after 2 yrs of CC with all credits transferred as long as you take the classes they want you to take and get the min grades. Great idea.
So does Rutgers. That is a great option to save money and get a degree from a great State University. Rutgers does this too.
I remember a NJ program that did this, but there were no guarantees for a particular school.

It was get your Associates and we’ll find a space for you somewhere.

Would be nice know there is a Rutgers specific one now too.

RU needs to do a better job of advertising that.

I'd also wonder how well the county colleges promote or advertise this too.

Rutgers also has their own intra-university 2+2 transfer program between the Camden/Newark campuses and the NB flagship. Not sure if it's all that well advertised either, but back in the day it was always described in the UG course catalog and some of the brochures I think. It's another option that could save costs for some or at least be cost-neutral for some others.

Rutgers also has their own intra-university 2+2 transfer program between the Camden/Newark campuses and the NB flagship. Not sure if it's all that well advertised either, but back in the day it was always described in the UG course catalog and some of the brochures I think. It's another option that could save costs for some or at least be cost-neutral for some others.
Funny how I know about the State Penn version of this but as a Rutgers alum I didn’t know we offer something similar.

Reactions: Local Shill
I remember a NJ program that did this, but there were no guarantees for a particular school.

It was get your Associates and we’ll find a space for you somewhere.

Would be nice know there is a Rutgers specific one now too.

I read this link, but I can't explain what any of it means. LOL.
https://offcampus.rutgers.edu/about-statewide-programs

I learned about the UVA program while visiting Va Beach for a long weekend. It was advertised on the radio nonstop. I didn’t know RU has a similar program while living in NJ.

Most can’t pay for it; student debt is out of control. My nephew is sitting on $200,000 in student loans, and no, he is not a doctor or attorney. It’s going to take him 20 years to pay it off.
What school did he go to and why did his parents let him make the decision?

What school did he go to and why did his parents let him make the decision?

Beyond that, it sounds like he financed 90%+ of his education with loans. How could there be, simultaneously, almost no grants-in-aid or parental contributions?

Reactions: vkj91
I can’t speak for all of the county colleges, but Rutgers has a strong relationship with Middlesex. My older son is a very good student, but he had zero idea of what he wanted to do coming out of hs. Our primary goal was for him to find a place where he would be comfortable. He wasn’t ready to live away from home so he started at Middlesex. He was able to get accustomed to college and find a major he liked ( comp sci). He got his associates and transferred to RU. A lot of his Middlesex classmates are at RU as well. We didn’t do it specifically for financial reasons, but a lot of his classmates did. It is a major cost savings. The down side is that RU could be better at recognizing credits. Based on our experience, if you go the county college route you need to either get your associates (graduate) or plan not to get it (go for a year and take classes specifically based on what will transfer). With his associates, my son fulfilled most of the general graduation requirements at RU. If you take 60 or so credits at Middlesex and transfer without a degree you will get hit fairly hard when they evaluate your transcript and have a longer path to graduation at RU. A chunk of that money saved goes away if it takes an extra semester or so to get your BA/BS.

I can’t speak for all of the county colleges, but Rutgers has a strong relationship with Middlesex. My older son is a very good student, but he had zero idea of what he wanted to do coming out of hs. Our primary goal was for him to find a place where he would be comfortable. He wasn’t ready to live away from home so he started at Middlesex. He was able to get accustomed to college and find a major he liked ( comp sci). He got his associates and transferred to RU. A lot of his Middlesex classmates are at RU as well. We didn’t do it specifically for financial reasons, but a lot of his classmates did. It is a major cost savings. The down side is that RU could be better at recognizing credits. Based on our experience, if you go the county college route you need to either get your associates (graduate) or plan not to get it (go for a year and take classes specifically based on what will transfer). With his associates, my son fulfilled most of the general graduation requirements at RU. If you take 60 or so credits at Middlesex and transfer without a degree you will get hit fairly hard when they evaluate your transcript and have a longer path to graduation at RU. A chunk of that money saved goes away if it takes an extra semester or so to get your BA/BS.
Did your son continue with Computer Science at Rutgers, and did he do it through the College of Engineering or Arts and Sciences? No problem getting the math and other prerequisites to transfer?
How does/did he like the Computer Science program at RU?

My wife dated a Domer before we met. When our kid was looking at colleges, someone suggested Notre Dame. My wife said ‘we’re not paying $200,000 for our daughter to get a drinking problem.’

Wow. I guess your wife doesn't have much confidence in how you raised your daughter and her ability to make smart choices.

Funny how I know about the State Penn version of this but as a Rutgers alum I didn’t know we offer something similar.

I can't speak to greater awareness of the PSU model as I hadn't heard about it until I read it on these boards in recent years. While on the surface it may appear to be more or less the same arrangement, I don't think the Rutgers model is set up as much to be a "feeder" system the way I've read the PSU version described, in the sense that they encourage folks around the state of PA into the various local satellite campuses with the opportunity to then get to University Park later as a transfer. I never got the impression that Rutgers (or HS guidance counselors in NJ) necessarily encourage Newark or Camden first (assuming applicants are borderline for NB) to get the feet wet and then transfer to NB later.

Rather, Newark and Camden are meant to stand on their own and not just to provide a stepping stone to NB. Newark, in particular, has a stronger reputation and is more highly regarded than any PSU satellite, not even close.

I've never heard anything at Camden about encouraging students to transfer to NB, although it does happen. OTOH, Camden does not have an upper-division engineering program, so there is certainly 2 + 2 for students who want to major in that program.

I don't know if there is any basis for this, or whether it still goes on, but NB faculty used to complain incessantly about the poor quality of students who had transferred from community colleges. It takes a semester or two for the grades of community college transfers to equal students who started at Rutgers.

Apparently many community college courses are not really the equivalent of Rutgers courses -- I know the state legislature, in its infinite wisdom, has made it hard for Rutgers to refuse to accept community college credits. The ideal is a system like California's, where everyone knows in advance what community college courses will be accepted by Cal State and the University of California. I guess we're not organized enough for that, which is a shame.

In addition, I think there been concern about whether community college students are used to the same kind of study load that Rutgers students have, and that transfers are startled by how much they have to do once they get to Rutgers.

Did your son continue with Computer Science at Rutgers, and did he do it through the College of Engineering or Arts and Sciences? No problem getting the math and other prerequisites to transfer?
How does/did he like the Computer Science program at RU?

He is in his first semester at RU and he is majoring in computer science in the school of Arts and Sciences. No issues with the math requirements. He graduated with honors from Middlesex and the math looks like it was all going to transfer even without his associates. The only problems so far are minor. As I said, he had to makee sure they listed his associates on his transcript. The other issue is that one of his upper level program courses that he needs to graduate is only open to comp sci majors and he can’t declare until he has taken two classes in the program at RU. So fitting everything into four semesters might be difficult from a scheduling perspective.

He is in his first semester at RU and he is majoring in computer science in the school of Arts and Sciences. No issues with the math requirements. He graduated with honors from Middlesex and the math looks like it was all going to transfer even without his associates. The only problems so far are minor. As I said, he had to makee sure they listed his associates on his transcript. The other issue is that one of his upper level program courses that he needs to graduate is only open to comp sci majors and he can’t declare until he has taken two classes in the program at RU. So fitting everything into four semesters might be difficult from a scheduling perspective.

Does he like the program so far? How large are the classes? My son applied to RU A&S and plans to major in computer science.

I've never heard anything at Camden about encouraging students to transfer to NB, although it does happen. OTOH, Camden does not have an upper-division engineering program, so there is certainly 2 + 2 for students who want to major in that program.

I don't know if there is any basis for this, or whether it still goes on, but NB faculty used to complain incessantly about the poor quality of students who had transferred from community colleges. It takes a semester or two for the grades of community college transfers to equal students who started at Rutgers.

Apparently many community college courses are not really the equivalent of Rutgers courses -- I know the state legislature, in its infinite wisdom, has made it hard for Rutgers to refuse to accept community college credits. The ideal is a system like California's, where everyone knows in advance what community college courses will be accepted by Cal State and the University of California. I guess we're not organized enough for that, which is a shame.

In addition, I think there been concern about whether community college students are used to the same kind of study load that Rutgers students have, and that transfers are startled by how much they have to do once they get to Rutgers.

https://www.njtransfer.org/ Is a good resource to determine what will transfer. Somethings don’t match up credit for credit. RU wouldn’t accept an economics course my son took solely because he took it as a winter session course. I think they would give him credit for accounting I if he had taken accounting I and II at Middlesex, but nothing for accounting I alone. I also don’t believe that all of the county colleges are on the same level. Unfortunately, there is a also a lot of home rule in NJ so each of the four year schools determine what they will and won’t take. For my son, there was a difference in what each school would take and when they were willing to evaluate his transcript.

Does he like the program so far? How large are the classes? My son applied to RU A&S and plans to major in computer science.

My son really likes it. The classes are on the larger size and there are a lot of kids in the program. That is clearly one of the trade offs of going to RU. If you want the pluses of a larger school... My son is balancing it out because he is taking Latin with 6 kids in his class.

OTOH, Camden does not have an upper-division engineering program, so there is certainly 2 + 2 for students who want to major in that program.

Definitely there's the engineering 2+2 program between either Camden or Newark and SOE at NB, and it basically starts at the respective Camden/Newark Arts & Sciences for the first two years (pre-engineering). I'm pretty sure it's the same general 2+2 arrangement for any A&S majors transferring into NB's SAS and finishing the last two years there (or at least there used to be, as I know someone who did it in the 90s - Comp Sci major).

I'm not sure about options for 2+2 transferring into say, Ag-related majors at SEBS from either Camden or Newark, or for pre-business majors from Camden's SBC into RBS (and whether that would have changed at all from when the business program at NB went from two-year upper division to four-year direct admit from HS).

I don't know the extent to which academic advising/dean's office at Camden and Newark would be promoting a 2+2 transfer into NB for students in any A&S major, nor do I believe strongly whether they should or shouldn't. If students want to pursue it, they may have to take the initiative to inquire about it and follow through accordingly.

Not to rain on the parade but I think if the parents can afford it the kid should start at RU, not CC.

Personally I can say much of my learning was done with friends in the dorms who I am still close friends with to this day. Building this network is crucial- and I think a lot of transfer students do not get this and miss out on the full RU experience.

I know people who commuted to RU and/or only did 2 years and in talking to them it's almost like they did not go to the same school.

Living away I think is also good life prep.

Definitely there's the engineering 2+2 program between either Camden or Newark and SOE at NB, and it basically starts at the respective Camden/Newark Arts & Sciences for the first two years (pre-engineering). I'm pretty sure it's the same general 2+2 arrangement for any A&S majors transferring into NB's SAS and finishing the last two years there (or at least there used to be, as I know someone who did it in the 90s - Comp Sci major).

I'm not sure about options for 2+2 transferring into say, Ag-related majors at SEBS from either Camden or Newark, or for pre-business majors from Camden's SBC into RBS (and whether that would have changed at all from when the business program at NB went from two-year upper division to four-year direct admit from HS).

I don't know the extent to which academic advising/dean's office at Camden and Newark would be promoting a 2+2 transfer into NB for students in any A&S major, nor do I believe strongly whether they should or shouldn't. If students want to pursue it, they may have to take the initiative to inquire about it and follow through accordingly.

My impression -- and I may be wrong, because I don't have much contact with undergrads -- is that Camden does not emphasize 2 + 2 if it offers the major. Doing so would harm junior and senior enrollment here, and the college faculty wants to get to teach such students and not just freshmen and sophomores. There is no desire to be in effect a glorified community college. If anything, Camden wants to develop more grad programs, but NB has made it clear that t can happen only when the graduate program does not duplicate NB. Newark is treated similarly, but it has been much more successful at developing professional programs that do not duplicate NB.

Reactions: RUnTeX
There is no desire to be in effect a glorified community college.

Don't disagree, and hopefully that keeps all three campuses as competitive as they can be within what they're trying to do, while not cannibalizing each other too much with overlapping programs.

Whereas I get the impression some of the feeder satellites at PSU are not much more than glorified lower-division campuses, perhaps even by design, by the mothership in State College.

t can happen only when the graduate program does not duplicate NB. Newark is treated similarly, but it has been much more successful at developing professional programs that do not duplicate NB.

One example of Camden's success in this regard that I recall reading about has been the PhD in Early Childhood Education (or something along those lines), which when they established it several years ago was the only doctorate program of its kind in the country.

Reactions: retired711
Not to rain on the parade but I think if the parents can afford it the kid should start at RU, not CC.

Personally I can say much of my learning was done with friends in the dorms who I am still close friends with to this day. Building this network is crucial- and I think a lot of transfer students do not get this and miss out on the full RU experience.

I know people who commuted to RU and/or only did 2 years and in talking to them it's almost like they did not go to the same school.

Well as Henry Rutgers liked to say...

“Don’t let school get in the way of your education.”

Should factor in grad school in the costs equation. College degrees have been devalued in the last decade.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
In regards to RU, just because it says January 30th doesn’t mean you will not hear back until then. I remember I applied the first week in October and was accepted the week of Halloween.

This was in October 2014 but I am assuming it is still the same within the 4 year time frame.

This is a while back but my son applied to multiple high schools.
If you’re a Monmouth County resident who lives in the Freehold Regional School District you have lots to choose from in publics and private/Catholic.

- the 6 HSs that make up the FRSD
- the 5 MCVSD academies
- Red Bank Regional for the arts
- RBC, SJV, CBA for boys, Trinity Hall for girls.
- And even St. Rose or Donavan Catholic for some

That’s a lot of options

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT