ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone been to the Jersey Shore yet

I used to send young guys there for dates, when they complained I was working them too hard. Gave them what they should wear, what to drink and how to pay for the drinks. (RLauren, Champaign, 100 bills).
"what else do I have to do? " Nothing, they will come to you.

3 guys got married on that, which I had entirely made up to keep them working hard.

Not completely. Just because you feel like you have the right to raise hell in their neighborhood doesn't mean they have to accept it.

To be fair they are the nastiest neighbors to any bar at the shore. Honestly I think the Spring Lake people like DJais being just over the town line more than Sea Girt likes the one place not off 71 where they can actually have a nice meal.

Parker also closes at midnight versus every place else closing at 2 (3 for Headliner and River Rock) so the neighbors already catch a break. And still, despite decent enough outside space they knew they couldn't use it because the neighbors would throw a tantrum.

Apparently the neighbors were crying as far as back as April and filed a lawsuit over the Uber dropoff which is along the boardwalk AND the app tells you need to walk over there AND this is after they agreed to shut the upstairs which is total BS in my view.

Meanwhile I haven't heard one person in Manasquan cheer the Osprey closing for the season and it's also across the street, albeit from condos, but that are listed for over 1M. Tons of homes in that range in the surrounding blocks. The mentality is just different in each town, which even to me who grew up not that far away it blows my mind how in such a short distance I go from a horrible benny plague to a mile away being thanked for still being around and spending money with everything going on. Which by the way I am happy to do. One day I'll be an owner there myself and I think I can manage to not buy a home on the one block with a bar if it's not what I want.

Why wouldn't Parker House just turn into an outdoor restaurant for this year? They already had a lot of seating on the patio, and could have put a bunch of tables where the line snakes in the back. Close by 8PM or whatever insane requirement the town requires. I'd think a decent restaurant within walking distance of that part of town would be welcomed, no?

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I think that’s the one my Wife likes too. Or maybe it’s the one her mom likes. I forget. LOL

Also good to know, although not for this summer, is the Jersey Shore Basketball League is back at St. Rose High School which is right next door.
They played there last summer, and I'm pretty sure they were set to play there this year,not sure now though.

Not completely. Just because you feel like you have the right to raise hell in their neighborhood doesn't mean they have to accept it.

I was very close to making an offer on a house a block away from the Parker House. Ocean block on The Terrace. My wife said “I’m just worried about the Parker House.” The realtor was typing up the offer.

A close relative who is well-connected in the area made some calls. True story. She spoke to someone she knew in Sea Girt who said “I’m related to the people who own the Parker House. If you want people peeing on your lawn every Friday night, that’s a great house.”

So, great place but I wouldn’t want it within earshot.

Is that the old Alex Webster's place?

Alex was the Head Coach when I tried out for the Giants.

His Wife was the financial leader and had them buy a home in Sea Girt.
He was a great guy. 20 years after my Giants NFL (not for long) they were patients of Mary Anne and we had drinks at The Stadium several times.

One day we were in there and a little old lady was talking and she had played Bloody Mary in a production of South Pacific. She belted out "Bali Hai" !

I was very close to making an offer on a house a block away from the Parker House. Ocean block on The Terrace. My wife said “I’m just worried about the Parker House.” The realtor was typing up the offer.

A close relative who is well-connected in the area made some calls. True story. She spoke to someone she knew in Sea Girt who said “I’m related to the people who own the Parker House. If you want people peeing on your lawn every Friday night, that’s a great house.”

So, great place but I wouldn’t want it within earshot.

Ah, so you did research before purchasing real estate?

Apparently that option was not available to the other homeowners in the surrounding radius for some reason...

Why wouldn't Parker House just turn into an outdoor restaurant for this year? They already had a lot of seating on the patio, and could have put a bunch of tables where the line snakes in the back. Close by 8PM or whatever insane requirement the town requires. I'd think a decent restaurant within walking distance of that part of town would be welcomed, no?

Of course, and every other shore bar has done something like this, save the Osprey which doesn't serve food.

But everyone else isn't dealing with the town of Sea Girt and deranged hatred some of the folks in charge there have for Parker House.

Everyone there must cook really well or like driving out of town to eat.

Reactions: hrdcorhays
And I just said to my wife “this would be a great day to have lunch at the Parker House.” It’s been a “go to” for an early Sunday lunch. Depressing.

The food there is excellent. I love Squan but I don't think we have a place of that caliber. Blend is OK, Committed Pig I really like but it's not Parker.

Really? Never, ever heard that before.

Honest.

Really? The grill on the porch is awesome and the sit down restaurant is great too. Lobster mac and cheese is on point. The steak is good as well.

One thing most people would never expect...the food at Djais is also a pleasant surprise. The cheesesteak is great. Not Parker level of course but for a quick bite off the beach it's great.

Most people also know the pizza at Porta is excellent- especially the one with Calabrian chiles. I think most people have probably eaten at Leggett's and Tiki, both are pretty good. Not amazing, but good.

Really? The grill on the porch is awesome and the sit down restaurant is great too. Lobster mac and cheese is on point. The steak is good as well.

One thing most people would never expect...the food at Djais is also a pleasant surprise. The cheesesteak is great. Not Parker level of course but for a quick bite off the beach it's great.

Most people also know the pizza at Porta is excellent- especially the one with Calabrian chiles. I think most people have probably eaten at Leggett's and Tiki, both are pretty good. Not amazing, but good.
Everyone knows about Porta but even the other ones you mentioned. Yes, they have food. LOL

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Parker House used to be a great place when it was mainly locals years ago. Everything changed a little over a decade again. I believe there was an article in the times three years ago about how New Yorkers have been skipping the Hamptons after they found this hidden jewel at the Jersey Shore called Parker House. Once they heard about that place, it was game over. The town council, police department, and the lady that owns the Beacon House B&B across the street are determined to get that place to close.

Crowded in Long Branch today. No thanks.

https://www.nj.com/news/2020/07/cops-shut-down-access-to-nj-towns-beach-as-crowds-swell.html
TDY6WHE6YBDOFHEBNVFRGQVJ5Q.JPG

Last edited:
Cancel all testing except when you feel sick.

"Out of sight our of mind."

It's an airborne respiratory virus that there is no current vaccine available.

Unless you want to go off the grid and camp somewhere alone in the Adirondack Park (biggest Park in the USA.) you will get exposed to someone that is/was positive. See you in Oct when it gets cold up there in Upstate NY.

2 bodies are somewhere off the coast of South Jersey today. Swimming after the lifeguards leave is never a good thing if you can't swim and even risky if you can swim. Lots of activity this morning out there looking for someone who disappeared last night off the dog beach between OC and Longport and Saturday night another swimmer disappeared off the Ventnor beach. Neither one has been recovered yet.

Leggetts food is diner quality at best for me. I enjoy going there, and will eat there for sure, but have never had better than a decent meal there. Their pizza is OK. Patio Bar is one place that has always had terrible food. However, I did go to Water Street in Toms River this past weekend (same owner), and we all were pleasantly surprised by the food there.

Agreed, Tiki's food is pretty good, overpriced but not moreso than you would expect for a boardwalk place.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
That's the problem. Perhaps for some locals, they don't care, but I would never swim at the south end beach of Spring Lake. I don't take any sheet!
This KnightShift. Lived in spring lake heights for a few years 2007-2010, always was a north pavillion guy. I started dating a girl who like the southend. Went swimming at the south end once, got strep throat, got rid of the girl and stuck to the north end. Never had any problems after that. True story!

Committed Pig? It might be just me but I'm morally opposed to paying $15 and more for a freekin hamburger.

Haha. One thing about living in Jersey City is when I go to Squan everything seems cheap. My friends who come down from the burbs are always like "X place at the Shore is so expensive" and I'm always like it's a few bucks less than in Hoboken/JC and probably $10 less than NYC. To me, Committed Pig prices are a discount. A place like that up here would run several bucks more.

But also, I really like the food there. Try the Rutgers breakfast sandwich. It's worth the few bucks just to honor us!

Reactions: patk89
Leggetts food is diner quality at best for me. I enjoy going there, and will eat there for sure, but have never had better than a decent meal there. Their pizza is OK. Patio Bar is one place that has always had terrible food. However, I did go to Water Street in Toms River this past weekend (same owner), and we all were pleasantly surprised by the food there.

Agreed, Tiki's food is pretty good, overpriced but not moreso than you would expect for a boardwalk place.

I like the pizza. Reuben is pretty good also. The nachos I like with a Miami Vice.

Agree on Tiki- I like the lobster roll too. For the size as well it's definitely way cheaper than up north.

This KnightShift. Lived in spring lake heights for a few years 2007-2010, always was a north pavillion guy. I started dating a girl who like the southend. Went swimming at the south end once, got strep throat, got rid of the girl and stuck to the north end. Never had any problems after that. True story!

That's why back in the day, that was THE beach where Spring Lake Heights people were segregated from "real" Spring Lakers.....

Or have plans. I go every year to Wildwood Crest. My concern is my elderly mother who always goes with us. I know I can leave her home and we wouldn't do anything until later in the season but this is tough.
Are you guys skipping shore trips this year because of the virus? Anyway thanks the information and best wishes.

@PSUPride1

I'm not going to read thru 10 pages of responses.

If you go and don't wear a mask, keep social distancing and wash your hands after contact with foreign objects before touching your face...IMO you're asking for trouble. The fact that you have an elderly mother makes this even more difficult.

What part of : you could be asymptomatic and still infect your mother / others don't you understand?

Seriously, forgo the trip...stay the hell away from the Jersey shore, and all of the other fun places that you used to frequent...before COVID.
Play it safe and if nothing else, your elderly mother / her boyfriend will be around to thank / nag you!

MO

Belmar sounds like it is having problems--snippet from today's Coast Star:

BELMAR —
Council PresidentTom Brennan painted a bleak pic- ture of the beachfront Tuesday evening to residents and mem-
bers of the council, saying that some people “were abrasive.”
Mr. Brennan, who is a mem- ber of the borough’s Friendship Force that advises beachgoers on
social distancing, said during the borough council meeting on July
21 that he has observed behavior this weekend that worried him.
While every year there are certain beachgoers who act like “jerks,” this year is “10 times
worse,” the council president said.
“Our staff is being yelled at, they are being bullied, they are being threatened,” he
said. “We had bathroom attendants spat on because they asked people to wear masks as it is
posted on the side of the bathroom. Instead of complying, these people spat on
our attendants.”
“People were abusive. They
bum-rushed an 80-year-old gate
attendant knowing that person
would not be able to stop them,
and we had to get the police in to
get them oˆ the beach,” Mr. Brennan
said. “This is unacceptable,
we need to do something about
it.”

---------------

In two weeks, there have
been 236 summonses issued for borough
code violations such as noise, alcohol in
public, alcohol on the beach and smoking.
To date, summonses are up 90 percent
from last year. Currently, the borough
is 100 summonses away from last year’s
pre-September total.

Belmar sounds like it is having problems--snippet from today's Coast Star:

BELMAR —
Council PresidentTom Brennan painted a bleak pic- ture of the beachfront Tuesday evening to residents and mem-
bers of the council, saying that some people “were abrasive.”
Mr. Brennan, who is a mem- ber of the borough’s Friendship Force that advises beachgoers on
social distancing, said during the borough council meeting on July
21 that he has observed behavior this weekend that worried him.
While every year there are certain beachgoers who act like “jerks,” this year is “10 times
worse,” the council president said.
“Our staff is being yelled at, they are being bullied, they are being threatened,” he
said. “We had bathroom attendants spat on because they asked people to wear masks as it is
posted on the side of the bathroom. Instead of complying, these people spat on
our attendants.”
“People were abusive. They
bum-rushed an 80-year-old gate
attendant knowing that person
would not be able to stop them,
and we had to get the police in to
get them oˆ the beach,” Mr. Brennan
said. “This is unacceptable,
we need to do something about
it.”

---------------

In two weeks, there have
been 236 summonses issued for borough
code violations such as noise, alcohol in
public, alcohol on the beach and smoking.
To date, summonses are up 90 percent
from last year. Currently, the borough
is 100 summonses away from last year’s
pre-September total.
#bennies

I hear people in town complaining about the same thing here in OC but honestly I don't see it. If anything people seem more friendly to each other. I think a lot of it is just some old locals who love to complain every summer about the crowds and this year they are blaming it on COVID for people acting lke idiots.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
I hear people in town complaining about the same thing here in OC but honestly I don't see it. If anything people seem more friendly to each other. I think a lot of it is just some old locals who love to complain every summer about the crowds and this year they are blaming it on COVID for people acting lke idiots.
OC and southern shore towns = better clientele

Reactions: Joey Bags
We had a great time last week down in Cape May (CH). Bit of a pain to have to make reservations to eat at many restaurants but understandable. Strong undertow on that Sunday (7/12) but the water was warm and beautiful. Weather couldn't have been nicer. After being concerned, I'm very glad we did this trip. Those of you who live at the shore are very lucky!

Reactions: T2Kplus10
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT