ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone been to the Jersey Shore yet

I'd say the 2nd was the busiest day I've seen going into this weekend but the 3rd was crowded too. Turned out the 4th-5th wasn't as crowded from what I could tell. Haven't been up this week.
Meaning you are not in Squan?

Odd year for me- have not been near the beach all summer long. Will wait until September.

beaches were packed today....and so was the water with it being high tide, throngs of peeps packed together in the water....all races and they all werent from red states, sort of tosses the narratives being pushed in the crapper.

on a side note I came home 18 on my way back home and saw kids walking down college ave in masks...wtf, there were like 5 or 6 seperate groups of 2 or 3 and they all wore mask...why????? outdoors on basically empty streets in an area that has been shut down for months

Reactions: newell138
No, I'm here. Just not a fan of sitting on the beach with temps in the 90's like we've had for the past week. I've gone up maybe 8-9 times so far.

come on toughen up old man, it was hot today but a breeze kicked in about 230 and a few clouds helped to cool things down. Its been an absolute banner season in terms of weather for the beaches, sunny weekend after sunny weekend

Reactions: newell138
beaches were packed today....and so was the water with it being high tide, throngs of peeps packed together in the water....all races and they all werent from red states, sort of tosses the narratives being pushed in the crapper.

on a side note I came home 18 on my way back home and saw kids walking down college ave in masks...wtf, there were like 5 or 6 seperate groups of 2 or 3 and they all wore mask...why????? outdoors on basically empty streets in an area that has been shut down for months

Why would that trigger you so bad? It's nothing if not helpful for old timers like you.

come on toughen up old man, it was hot today but a breeze kicked in about 230 and a few clouds helped to cool things down. Its been an absolute banner season in terms of weather for the beaches, sunny weekend after sunny weekend

Ha! I thought you'd be summering out west at Muscle Beach:Wink:

I don't want this to sound wrong Bud but when you live across the street and can go any time you want, you get picky. Weather permitting this coming week I'll have a full house so I'm sure I'll go a couple times.

I don't want this to sound wrong Bud but when you live across the street and can go any time you want, you get picky. Weather permitting this coming week I'll have a full house so I'm sure I'll go a couple times.

really hot for first 3 days but looks like maybe some relief late in the week into the weekend.

I go every day I'm off (and weather permitting).

But never before 3ish for the same reason. Might go earlier if I'm working at night...ride my bike down, hop in the ocean and then the North End pool to get the salt off followed by a bike ride home.

Expect it to get busier sooner in Squan. With a 1000 limit on daily badges, folks are going to start racing down here.

It's pretty busy most Thu night to Mon anyway. I'm guessing the weather cut the crowds today but they'll be here tomorrow in mass.

Hey, they can always go elsewhere. :Wink:

It's pretty busy most Thu night to Mon anyway. I'm guessing the weather cut the crowds today but they'll be here tomorrow in mass.
Oh yeah. I meant busier earlier in the day. It’s been very busy every sunny day this year. My brother is a lifeguard on Main Beach.

how long before Murphy shutters the beaches..he is getting angry now
I can tell you that while there hasn’t been much social distancing on the Squan beaches that the tourists use (Main, Brielle Road), it wasn’t what caused a spike in cases. That was caused by graduation parties. Kids invited their college friends from out of the area, some were positive asymptomatic, and they infected the kids, who then brought it home to their parents.

Same thing in Middletown, parents allowed their kid to have a party. It caused a spike in cases there. The parents won’t say who attended so the health department can contact trace because they’re afraid snitching on the kids who were drinking underage. That’s what’s pissing Murphy off.

Manasquan stopped selling badges yesterday. Not sure what time. It wasn't bad where I was but looking north the beach appeared to be a mass of humanity.

Manasquan stopped selling badges yesterday. Not sure what time. It wasn't bad where I was but looking north the beach appeared to be a mass of humanity.

beaches were swamped in Asbury and because of some rip currents all the peeps were bunched into smaller non social distancing spaces in the ocean.. Its really been a banner weather season for the beaches, they lose today but almost all weekends have had 2 banner beach days

Reactions: knightfan7
I go every day I'm off (and weather permitting).

But never before 3ish for the same reason. Might go earlier if I'm working at night...ride my bike down, hop in the ocean and then the North End pool to get the salt off followed by a bike ride home.

Sort of what I used to do when NJSP did the lights into Monmouth Park. After 1st race, troop car to SL North end and our locker. Change into shorts/sneaks, take a jog, swim, shower off and put the costume back on. Back up to the traffic post. Sgt "where you been?", (they had a pool that we would use there with the other workers back in the rear.). "Miles and smiles, Sarge." (Which meant I was driving around, but with no tickets issued.)

Last edited:
Reactions: knightfan7
My brother came home pissed off because he actually had to work lol. Made quite a few saves. Rips everywhere. Waves were great though. I had some nice rides bodysurfing. I was north of the mass of people, as usual. Main Beach looked crazy.

Reactions: BigWill
Remember the good ole days.

Mom would give me a quarter and I would ride my bike to the beach. Noon fire sirens would go off up and down the Shore. Go and get a coke and a hot dog with my quarter. Wait an hour and go back out in the ocean. On my air inflated mat and 'surf' till the life guards went off duty. Go home for dinner, with skin rashes from paddling the mats.

No such things as bike locks, a bike was less than 5 bucks.

Can you do that day for under $ 20 bucks now ?

Very strong surf yesterday. As soon as you lifted your feet the current just took you. Huge waves later in the day too.
Yesterday at Wildwood crest the surf was as strong as I've ever seen it. Water was perfect temp and clear. Perfect beach day up until I sprained my calf.

We had 12 Rescues yesterday (Saturday) much smaller crowd today and only had 1 in SSH..Were able to do a lot of training today. Rutgers Wrestling Recruit Kyle Epperly in this video.

Do life guards have to swim ? or have a driver's license for their watercraft.

Do life guards have to swim ? or have a driver's license for their watercraft.
What a clown..Come down and try to do The Daily 500 meter buoy swim in Ocean with a 33' Burnside Can! You would probably have to be rescued within seconds! Thats if you ever can pass the break. We swim out daily to about 40 feet deep and back 3 or 4 times...probably a little different then you thinking your a great swimmer because you can do laps in your 4 foot above ground pool!

Last edited:
I feel so bad. Yes, I could save swimmers back in the day.
Yes, I was drown proofed schooled in the NJSP at the AP YMCA pool.

Now I'm just floating in our pool.

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
I can tell you that while there hasn’t been much social distancing on the Squan beaches that the tourists use (Main, Brielle Road), it wasn’t what caused a spike in cases. That was caused by graduation parties. Kids invited their college friends from out of the area, some were positive asymptomatic, and they infected the kids, who then brought it home to their parents.

Same thing in Middletown, parents allowed their kid to have a party. It caused a spike in cases there. The parents won’t say who attended so the health department can contact trace because they’re afraid snitching on the kids who were drinking underage. That’s what’s pissing Murphy off.
In the main pinned CoVid thread I quoted CDC stats that said 10% of tests have been positive. 5M positives in 50M tests. There is some wiggle room on this as I'm not sure how many unique people have been tested or if any of the positives are repeats (as in, you're still positive).

I surmised if you apply that 10% to the entire population there are 30M people walking around with it and not getting tested.

That assumes a lot.. like penetration of the virus evenly across all populations in the country. So think of it as 1 out of 10 people (or much more in places where the virus is heavy). So if 50 people attend a party.. 5 of them might have it already.. or more... or less in areas relatively unaffected.

Here's what I can see happening with these "spikes". We have rolled out more contact tracing. So when one of these 30M untested "positives" comes down with the symptoms.. they get tested.. are found positive.. then they get asked what they have done, where they have been. As many party-goers as they can find get tested and more positives are found. thus.. the party is blamed. The party caused the "spike".. when it is just as reasonable to suggest that a number of unknown "positives" attended the same party. The party did not create the virus in everyone from a pool of people who had tested negative on the way into the party.

Hmm.. maybe that is what should happen. Everyone gets tested on the way INTO the party. Heck.. have a CoVid Test Night at some venue. Find out how many people have CoVid and do not know it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigWill
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT