ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone been to the Jersey Shore yet

We had a great time last week down in Cape May (CH). Bit of a pain to have to make reservations to eat at many restaurants but understandable. Strong undertow on that Sunday (7/12) but the water was warm and beautiful. Weather couldn't have been nicer. After being concerned, I'm very glad we did this trip. Those of you who live at the shore are very lucky!

I thank God everyday, moving here 11 years ago from S. Brunswick was the best decision we could have made. Quality of life is off the charts in my opinion.

Where did you eat? Have been thinking of hitting up the Blue Pig once this heat wave subsides as I hear they are seating outside on the lawn of Congress Hall overlooking the beach.

Belmar sounds like it is having problems--snippet from today's Coast Star:

BELMAR —
Council PresidentTom Brennan painted a bleak pic- ture of the beachfront Tuesday evening to residents and mem-
bers of the council, saying that some people “were abrasive.”
Mr. Brennan, who is a mem- ber of the borough’s Friendship Force that advises beachgoers on
social distancing, said during the borough council meeting on July
21 that he has observed behavior this weekend that worried him.
While every year there are certain beachgoers who act like “jerks,” this year is “10 times
worse,” the council president said.
“Our staff is being yelled at, they are being bullied, they are being threatened,” he
said. “We had bathroom attendants spat on because they asked people to wear masks as it is
posted on the side of the bathroom. Instead of complying, these people spat on
our attendants.”
“People were abusive. They
bum-rushed an 80-year-old gate
attendant knowing that person
would not be able to stop them,
and we had to get the police in to
get them oˆ the beach,” Mr. Brennan
said. “This is unacceptable,
we need to do something about
it.”

---------------

In two weeks, there have
been 236 summonses issued for borough
code violations such as noise, alcohol in
public, alcohol on the beach and smoking.
To date, summonses are up 90 percent
from last year. Currently, the borough
is 100 summonses away from last year’s
pre-September total.

I don't know what these folks thought would happen when you go for the money grab.

I thank God everyday, moving here 11 years ago from S. Brunswick was the best decision we could have made. Quality of life is off the charts in my opinion.

Where did you eat? Have been thinking of hitting up the Blue Pig once this heat wave subsides as I hear they are seating outside on the lawn of Congress Hall overlooking the beach.
+1
We will be in Stone Harbor for 2 weeks in Aug and already have 2 Blue Pig reservations (lunch and dinner). This is one of our favorite places. Washington Inn is our family's "fancy" place. Not sure how they are handling outdoor dining?

I hear people in town complaining about the same thing here in OC but honestly I don't see it. If anything people seem more friendly to each other. I think a lot of it is just some old locals who love to complain every summer about the crowds and this year they are blaming it on COVID for people acting lke idiots.

There's complaining for complaining's sake for sure. With the bars closed there is a bit more noise in certain areas but nothing to get your panties in a bunch so far unless I assume you're next door. It seemed this past weekend was the quietest since Memorial Day but that may be with the excessive heat most stayed indoors.

I've seen a lot of changes in the 25+ years I've lived here, especially since 2012. It has it's plusses and minuses just like anywhere else.

There's complaining for complaining's sake for sure. With the bars closed there is a bit more noise in certain areas but nothing to get your panties in a bunch so far unless I assume you're next door. It seemed this past weekend was the quietest since Memorial Day but that may be with the excessive heat most stayed indoors.

I've seen a lot of changes in the 25+ years I've lived here, especially since 2012. It has it's plusses and minuses just like anywhere else.

Nothing has changed much here in that regard since we don't have any bars.

Nothing has changed much here in that regard since we don't have any bars.

It's not the bars as much as the changes to the area in general. Off hand I'd say 75% of the homes on my block have been either torn down and rebuilt or lifted in the past 7 years. I don't think any of them are rented out anymore.

I'd be pretty two faced if I complained about the bars being I worked mostly part time in a couple over the years.

There'd be things that'd tick me off but then I'd remember I was one of them in my 20's lol.

I'll be in Belmar this weekend

Been a few weeks

You are a lucky man! I'm stuck working in midtown (once we go back to the office, likely after Labor Day).

We ate mostly at CH affiliated places. Rusty Nail twice for dinner. somewhat average but live music and sand for the kids to play in. Picnic tables with umbrellas outside but it got hot one of the nights. We had one breakfast and one dinner at the Blue Pig. Both very good. To be seated on the lawn, it is a different reservation and not too many tables. We ordered lunch from the beach which is very convenient. The pool, which I was leery of, only had half the lounge chairs as other years so we were able to distance ourselves. Ate one dinner at Delaney's on the main street when we didn't have a reservation. Ugly Mug has a large outside space as they appear to have closed the street by it.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
It's not the bars as much as the changes to the area in general. Off hand I'd say 75% of the homes on my block have been either torn down and rebuilt or lifted in the past 7 years. I don't think any of them are rented out anymore.

I'd be pretty two faced if I complained about the bars being I worked mostly part time in a couple over the years.

There'd be things that'd tick me off but then I'd remember I was one of them in my 20's lol.
Rich people don't need to rent out their houses. That's so upper middle class. :)

Reactions: knightfan7
I've yet to see any riff raff the times I've been there, but I'm glad they are cracking down.
https://abc7ny.com/jersey-shore-point-pleasant-beach-new-rules-paul-kanitra/6329440/

The only issue I had was no masks being worn by staff in a bagel store. I don't think I'm allowed back to that establishment after my reaction 0__0

"Different clientele" - hmmm, wonder what the lady means by that. I was at Martell's this past weekend, they were very strict with limiting beach capacity. Had 2 friends come later on and we had to basically find the right staff person who acknowledged that people were leaving the beach so we could get them a wristband. There was no cover to sit at a table but there was a $10 charge for the beach band and you were firmly not allowed on the beach or even downstairs without one. Not sure when they hit capacity as we were there around 9AM, but the beach was not packed at all. Much less packed than Squan at Brielle Rd/Main St area.

We did get a few whiffs of someone smoking a joint upwind of us on Jenks Beach.

Belmar sounds like it is having problems--snippet from today's Coast Star:

BELMAR —
Council PresidentTom Brennan painted a bleak pic- ture of the beachfront Tuesday evening to residents and mem-
bers of the council, saying that some people “were abrasive.”
Mr. Brennan, who is a mem- ber of the borough’s Friendship Force that advises beachgoers on
social distancing, said during the borough council meeting on July
21 that he has observed behavior this weekend that worried him.
While every year there are certain beachgoers who act like “jerks,” this year is “10 times
worse,” the council president said.
“Our staff is being yelled at, they are being bullied, they are being threatened,” he
said. “We had bathroom attendants spat on because they asked people to wear masks as it is
posted on the side of the bathroom. Instead of complying, these people spat on
our attendants.”
“People were abusive. They
bum-rushed an 80-year-old gate
attendant knowing that person
would not be able to stop them,
and we had to get the police in to
get them oˆ the beach,” Mr. Brennan
said. “This is unacceptable,
we need to do something about
it.”

---------------

In two weeks, there have
been 236 summonses issued for borough
code violations such as noise, alcohol in
public, alcohol on the beach and smoking.
To date, summonses are up 90 percent
from last year. Currently, the borough
is 100 summonses away from last year’s
pre-September total.
They need the money.:Wink:

And overall IMO it’s closer to what @newell138 and @knightfan7 have said.

But @knightfan7 raises a good point about more “locals” sticking around instead of renting out.

Last edited:
Anyone who knows better doesn't hang around Belmar aside from Djais and Point aside from Tiki. They're all about generating money. Much better places to stay.

Anyone who knows better doesn't hang around Belmar aside from Djais and Point aside from Tiki. They're all about generating money. Much better places to stay.
The beach is big and is in good shape.

If you’re there for that it’s easy in and easy out.

Reactions: NotInRHouse

The parking in both places is pretty atrocious. I'm not going to mention for non-locals but there are many beaches where the situation is much easier. The one thing I will give Point is you can booze on the beach. I mean, you *can* do it outside of legal parameters elsewhere but again I will not be offering tips lol.

I can't say anything about Belmar when the town, after making promises to go slowly, sold 17,000 Adult (14-64) season badges by May 15. Then after saying they'd study the situation before moving ahead put another 5,000 up for sale within a week of a rainy, cold Memorial Day weekend. Now they're limiting sales of Day and Season to 1,000 daily.

As a point of reference the town averaged 11-12,000 Season Badges and 70,000 Daily Badges for the entire summer over the past couple of years. I don't know how, if at all, the daily limit will affect the bottom line but just 10,000 season badges brings an additional $850k to the beach dept. When you add in the rest along with parking fees these towns appear to be making serious cash.

The parking in both places is pretty atrocious. I'm not going to mention for non-locals but there are many beaches where the situation is much easier. The one thing I will give Point is you can booze on the beach. I mean, you *can* do it outside of legal parameters elsewhere but again I will not be offering tips lol.
I can't say anything about Belmar when the town, after making promises to go slowly, sold 17,000 Adult (14-64) season badges by May 15. Then after saying they'd study the situation before moving ahead put another 5,000 up for sale within a week of a rainy, cold Memorial Day weekend. Now they're limiting sales of Day and Season to 1,000 daily.

As a point of reference the town averaged 11-12,000 Season Badges and 70,000 Daily Badges for the entire summer over the past couple of years. I don't know how, if at all, the daily limit will affect the bottom line but just 10,000 season badges brings an additional $850k to the beach dept. When you add in the rest along with parking fees these towns appear to be making serious cash.
They are both little towns so of course parking will always be an issue. But with more “there” in Point than Belmar, if I’m just going to the beach I’d go to Belmar.

I think you're talking about Squan with those #'s as I heard you mention similar ones earlier in this thread. But I thought beach towns can only spend beach revenue on beach expenses. Is that not true, or can they just fudge anything to appear as a beach expense?

I think you're talking about Squan with those #'s as I heard you mention similar ones earlier in this thread. But I thought beach towns can only spend beach revenue on beach expenses. Is that not true, or can they just fudge anything to appear as a beach expense?

Yes, Squan. I assumed incorrectly others would know that. My bad.

Yes, you are correct beach fees must be used for beach expenses exclusively per state law. I'll be interested to see what they do, if anything, with the added income.

Reactions: hrdcorhays

Yes, you are correct beach fees must be used for beach expenses exclusively per state law. I'll be interested to see what they do, if anything, with the added income.

Maybe they'll lower the cost of beach badges next year? :Laughing:Laughing:Laughing

One thing I would gladly pay for myself is a sign on the rocks in front of Brielle Rd that says stay off the rocks, so the lifeguards don't constantly blow their whistle at people. My friends like to sit next to the lifeguard stand for whatever reason but its very annoying. 2 weeks ago when they had red flags up, the lifeguards just sat on the stand and blew the whistle constantly, rather than coming off the stand and trying to prevent people from swimming there in the first place.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Maybe they'll lower the cost of beach badges next year? :Laughing:Laughing:Laughing

One thing I would gladly pay for myself is a sign on the rocks in front of Brielle Rd that says stay off the rocks, so the lifeguards don't constantly blow their whistle at people. My friends like to sit next to the lifeguard stand for whatever reason but its very annoying. 2 weeks ago when they had red flags up, the lifeguards just sat on the stand and blew the whistle constantly, rather than coming off the stand and trying to prevent people from swimming there in the first place.
The Spring Lake guards (last time I was on that beach was a few years ago) love to blow their whistles regularly for similar things.

They just raised the season badges $5 this year so anyone who thinks they'll lower the fee should put in a bid to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.

We sit further south where it's a lot less crowded than the beach from Riddle thru Brielle.

Reactions: hrdcorhays
They just raised the season badges $5 this year so anyone who thinks they'll lower the fee should put in a bid to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.

We sit further south where it's a lot less crowded than the beach from Riddle thru Brielle.

I wish I could migrate my crew down there towards Riddle. I am pretty sure the badges were $60 in 2008, the first year I got one. So they've gone up $25 bucks (40%!) in 12 years. I live in Brick, think I'll eventually make the move to Brick beach. Think its $60 for a parking pass and the badge. I just wish there were more dining options.

There are so many things they can pencil that money for, that will not be a problem finding where to spend it. Trucks, quads, lifeguard chairs, etc. No town, especially in NJ, has any trouble finding ways to spend some extra cash. Our mayor is crowing about how with all the new, bigger homes going up, and how much the ratables have increased since Sandy. Somehow though, our taxes never go down, at best they stay the same and this coming year was the first for that.

There are so many things they can pencil that money for, that will not be a problem finding where to spend it. Trucks, quads, lifeguard chairs, etc. No town, especially in NJ, has any trouble finding ways to spend some extra cash. Our mayor is crowing about how with all the new, bigger homes going up, and how much the ratables have increased since Sandy. Somehow though, our taxes never go down, at best they stay the same and this coming year was the first for that.

We haven't received our new bills yet but expect another large increase.

Here they'll probably just buy more ATV's so every employee has their own personal vehicle to zip up and down the beach.

Reactions: newell138
You are a lucky man! I'm stuck working in midtown (once we go back to the office, likely after Labor Day).

We ate mostly at CH affiliated places. Rusty Nail twice for dinner. somewhat average but live music and sand for the kids to play in. Picnic tables with umbrellas outside but it got hot one of the nights. We had one breakfast and one dinner at the Blue Pig. Both very good. To be seated on the lawn, it is a different reservation and not too many tables. We ordered lunch from the beach which is very convenient. The pool, which I was leery of, only had half the lounge chairs as other years so we were able to distance ourselves. Ate one dinner at Delaney's on the main street when we didn't have a reservation. Ugly Mug has a large outside space as they appear to have closed the street by it.
Just started booking for our SH trip. Booked Blue Pig, Grand Lawn & Veranda, and Washington Inn. In SH, booked Spiaggetta. All look to have nice and comfortable outdoor set-ups.

Reactions: patk89 and Jm0513
Hit Squan this morning with wife and kids. Was there July 3rd it was the busiest it had been this season (no surprise). But today it was even busier and it was the first time I felt like people were getting a little closer to others than they should be. Gorgeous morning though and a good time.

+1
We will be in Stone Harbor for 2 weeks in Aug and already have 2 Blue Pig reservations (lunch and dinner). This is one of our favorite places. Washington Inn is our family's "fancy" place. Not sure how they are handling outdoor dining?

Spent this past week in Cape May. Dined at Washington Inn on Thursday - very nice, tables on lawn. Did takeout on Wednesday due to a storm. Tuesday was Crab House at 2 Mile Landing with 2 other couples, a fun night with only a 35 minute wait for table despite the fact it was packed. A lot of tables that qualify for out door dining.. Monday was A Ca Mia on the Washington Mall first time there, very good. Also lunch at Rusty Nail - nice if you can be seated under the structure since they have ceiling fans. Lunch at Harry's, I recommend the Peach Crush.
Walked through Congress Hall, reservations a must at Blue Pig. Seating is outside on the lawn and porch area.

The 2 problems with out door dining is rain and heat. During the shutdown the thought was "I can't wait to be able to go to a restaurant and be served dinner". Now it's "I can't wait to be able to go to a restaurant and eat in air conditioning"

Spent this past week in Cape May. Dined at Washington Inn on Thursday - very nice, tables on lawn. Did takeout on Wednesday due to a storm. Tuesday was Crab House at 2 Mile Landing with 2 other couples, a fun night with only a 35 minute wait for table despite the fact it was packed. A lot of tables that qualify for out door dining.. Monday was A Ca Mia on the Washington Mall first time there, very good. Also lunch at Rusty Nail - nice if you can be seated under the structure since they have ceiling fans. Lunch at Harry's, I recommend the Peach Crush.
Walked through Congress Hall, reservations a must at Blue Pig. Seating is outside on the lawn and porch area.

The 2 problems with out door dining is rain and heat. During the shutdown the thought was "I can't wait to be able to go to a restaurant and be served dinner". Now it's "I can't wait to be able to go to a restaurant and eat in air conditioning"
Great post! Yes, with this weather, outdoor dining is hit or miss. We actually made 2 reservations for all 4 of those restaurants as a hedge against the weather. We will be down in SH for 2 weeks and mostly take out. Thanks for the info on the Washington Inn. Menu looks great! By the way, the WI is very kid friendly. We first brought our daughter when she was 5. The staff brought her in the kitchen and let her sample all the desserts. Two thumbs up! This is now her favorite "fancy" place.

My daughter was at Harry’s Thursday night and mentioned the peach dish

Hit Squan this morning with wife and kids. Was there July 3rd it was the busiest it had been this season (no surprise). But today it was even busier and it was the first time I felt like people were getting a little closer to others than they should be. Gorgeous morning though and a good time.

I'd say the 2nd was the busiest day I've seen going into this weekend but the 3rd was crowded too. Turned out the 4th-5th wasn't as crowded from what I could tell. Haven't been up this week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT