ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dwight Gooden arrested June 7 in Holmdel on cocaine possession

RUhasarrived

All American
May 7, 2007
Some people may genetically predisposed toward certain substances.No amount of pleading,incarceration,etc. will ever work.

Reactions: redking
Straw has done a complete 180 . Dwight stuck in the mud. When you saw them together during the documentary from a few years ago it was obvious they were on two different paths. I love Doc. He is a sweet man who captured my generation before social media. Its getting to be twilight time in his recovery.:pray:

In 2016 the Yankees told Strawberry that they'd pay for Gooden's rehab if he could get him to go.

Hate the Yanks.. but that was a good thing.

usatsi9457328.jpg

Reactions: redking
How did the police find what I've read described as "several small packets that contained cocaine" ?

Tough to hear. Last I read, he had turned things around and I hoped it would stick.

They should have taken him home and it never happened.
I guess the cops can’t do that anymore.

Agree. I mean was it like a pound or just personal use? These details should come into play. Especially in today's world of legal Pot despite Fed laws. Sad for him.

I wish him well in his fight against addiction, but can't feel sorry for him.
But will be pleased if I hear he's trying to stay clean again.
Hopefully no jail time for Doc, but inpatient treatment might be in order with aftercare involved to ease him back to staying clean on his own.

It’s not hard .
Never that hard when you pull over someone like this.
Probable cause doesn’t mean a thing either. If they find nothing, they just say he was acting suspicious and no harm no foul. They do find something and they say a bag fell out the door or could be seen from the window.
Bottom line- he needs a lot of help and it is such a shame. Amazing that it wasn’t even the lights of NYC that did this to him but returning home did..,

They should have taken him home and it never happened.
I guess the cops can’t do that anymore.
I will leave the name(s) of the town out of it but that kind of thing did used to happen when I was a little kid.

First thought I had. Too bad they couldn’t give him a chance to ask for rehab (or maybe they did).

It’s all liability at this point. The police can’t let him go.

Hopefully when he’s sentenced for possession and DUI he’ll get mandatory inpatient.

Reactions: Jm0513
That makes no sense.

Read up on DUI laws. By operating a motor vehicle, you’ve consented to drug and alcohol tests. I’m not anything close to a legal expert, and I’m sure his lawyers will fight the probable cause...but it’s a bit of a Hail Mary to beat those things.

Read up on DUI laws. By operating a motor vehicle, you’ve consented to drug and alcohol tests. I’m not anything close to a legal expert, and I’m sure his lawyers will fight the probable cause...but it’s a bit of a Hail Mary to beat those things.

This isn't true. You haven't automatically consented to drug and alcohol testing by operating a motor vehicle. What is true is that if you refuse said testing, your driving privileges can be suspended. Totally not the same thing.

Just want to point out that if he was holding it for someone else, I have absolutely no idea who that someone else might be. None.

i'm amazed that just because this guy was a baseball legend so many of you would look the other way about his cocaine possession.

This isn't true. You haven't automatically consented to drug and alcohol testing by operating a motor vehicle. What is true is that if you refuse said testing, your driving privileges can be suspended. Totally not the same thing.

Fair enough.

Don’t consent, and you’ll almost certainly be found guilty of the thing you were trying to avoid by not giving consent. Either way, you’ll be arrested (though not mirandized) and then the pat down will turn up the other thing you were hiding.

If you’re arrested on DUI suspicion - is a warrant still required to search the glove box/trunk?

Last edited:
Fair enough.

Don’t consent, and you’ll almost certainly be found guilty of the thing you were trying to avoid by not giving consent. Either way, you’ll be arrested (though not mirandized) and then the pat down will turn up the other thing you were hiding.

If you’re arrested on DUI suspicion - is a warrant still required to search the glove box/trunk?
Not if a search dog is involved.

Reactions: RUDiddy777

And you certainly haven't consented to a search.

If they say they are getting the (LOL) "Drug Dog" start your stop watch. There is a time limit on how long you can be detained waiting for the dog. Too long of a wait and you have a case for your rights being violated.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
And you certainly haven't consented to a search.

If they say they are getting the (LOL) "Drug Dog" start your stop watch. There is a time limit on how long you can be detained waiting for the dog. Too long of a wait and you have a case for your rights being violated.

How does the search work if you’re actually guilty or suspected or DUI?

Recall the legislature was going to do something to expand drug testing during DUI stops, I think previously you had to do it, given the metabolic rate of drugs in the system, but then they needed a warrant to obtain the results.

i'm amazed that just because this guy was a baseball legend so many of you would look the other way about his cocaine possession.
I wouldn’t bust anyone with a small amount of personal use drugs on them.
If all their credentials were in order and their license check was clean...if they weren’t drunk I’d let them slide.
That’s just me, as e5fdny alluded to, it happened on the regular back in the day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT