ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hafley to BC??

Don brown as interviewed too
And he’s the one we don’t want if we want Camp as DC, right?
giphy.gif

Hearing Jeff Hafley has turned down the head coaching position at Boston College.
Rumor is he demanded some of the same things schiano did. So now it is up to the AD. Rumor If AD goes in a different direction looks like it will be army coach.

I was wondering if he would. I hadn't seen his name anywhere but figured he'd be a logical candidate to at least inquire about.
People forget that Don Brown was a head coach for a number of years, and he had a solid W-L record at UMass, Northeastern and Plymouth State.

95-45 at all three and 43-19/29-11 at UMass. He went the P5 DC route in 2009, and perhaps he does not want to be a HC (see Dave Aranda, even though Aranda recently interviewed for one HC job)?

People forget that Don Brown was a head coach for a number of years, and he had a solid W-L record at UMass, Northeastern and Plymouth State.

95-45 at all three and 43-19/29-11 at UMass. He went the P5 DC route in 2009, and perhaps he does not want to be a HC (see Dave Aranda, even though Aranda recently interviewed for one HC job)?
Don Brown would like to be a HC and I've posted articles him stating such....and all his records etc...I was mentioning him as an off the beaten path candidate for us and the reasoning why and how you could have a HCIW with him.

He interviewed for the Temple job that went to Rod Carey. I think he'll take a job that's on the east coast/mid-atlantic but an AD has to be open to hiring him.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...-anthony-campanile-as-dc.180712/#post-4184035

side note: search function is partially working finally....it gives results but I don't think full complete results all the time...tried to search for my carousel thread as a test and it doesn't come up in the results but other searches seem to work too...so I don't know

Reactions: Knight Shift
Interesting. Is there a real chance he sees BC DC under Hafley as a better opportunity than RU DC under Schiano coaching alongside his brother? Not to mention couldn’t we just outbid BC?
That I don’t know. Just know he would be a candidate

The ripple effect with these things is very interesting. Addazio gets the CSU job (which was a surprise to me at least), they get $2m more to get a guy like Hafley or sink it into assistants.
And addazio hires urban’s SIL

Assuming guy has good sources but 2 million? That just doesn’t add up from everything I’ve been told about what Hafley wants
Beats me it does seems on the low end but if the assistant pool is high maybe that makes it more attractive. If he does well he’ll likely get a bump anyway.

I think he is going to be a thorn in our side at BC.
I don’t think so. He ain’t recruiting dawgs to BC. He only recruiting one type of kid. They will get all the kids ND rejects who parents love that catholic environment. He will need to hit Florida hard

Sorry but the schiano only crowd told us we needed Greg for recruiting. Now, a first year HC that people didn’t want is going to be a thorn in our side? Smh

I just think on the margin we will be competing more for BC caliber recruits than OSU recruits and that he will work the north jersey catholic schools hard. Hopefully GS will put together the type of staff we envision and we will be OK

Reactions: ATIOH
Yea and if Ken N (which I haven't seen mentioned with BC besides that article) doesn't fit Jeff Monken runs the same offense and I have seen him mentioned with BC.
Outside of Hafley’s Potential this whole search is adding up to BC getting someone worse the Daz

Reactions: Block R
Assuming guy has good sources but 2 million? That just doesn’t add up from everything I’ve been told about what Hafley wants

Is there even any power 5 job now that pays under $3 million? I for one was surprised what Arkansas and Missouri ended up paying first time head coaches that no other power 5 school wanted this year.

It's crazy how much money p5 coaches make now. Remember when flood made less than a million? Granted it was flood...

Well, we actually had fans only a few weeks ago saying that GS should be paid mid-2s. It was delusional but they were out there.

Is there even any power 5 job now that pays under $3 million? I for one was surprised what Arkansas and Missouri ended up paying first time head coaches that no other power 5 school wanted this year.
Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon, Kansas, Kansas State, Indiana, Maryland, Colorado, Cal, BC, and Duke are some of the power 5 schools who pay their coaches under $3 million a year salary. ND coach only gets $1.8 million but I suspect there is off the book money involved. Probably pushing their coach into $4 or $5 million range.

Reactions: Wolv RU
Sorry but the schiano only crowd told us we needed Greg for recruiting. Now, a first year HC that people didn’t want is going to be a thorn in our side? Smh
BC was/is and always will be a thorn in Rutgers side.
The Catholic High Schools make it that way.
Schiano will stem ( not stop) the defections to out of state programs from NJ Public High School talent. There always will be talent that just wants to leave the state .
Being in the B1G will help that and Greg will use that to help bring in Jersey and the Schiano recruiting area's Public High School talent while poaching some NJ Parochial HS talent that might have been pointed towards out of state schools.

Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon, Kansas, Kansas State, Indiana, Maryland, Colorado, Cal, BC, and Duke are some of the power 5 schools who pay their coaches under $3 million a year salary. ND coach only gets $1.8 million but I suspect there is off the book money involved. Probably pushing their coach into $4 or $5 million range.

Good list. I didn't look at all of these, but I do think it is important to keep some of the reported numbers in perspective:

Arizona: "The former head football coach at Texas A&M will get $2 million per year for his first two years at the University of Arizona, increasing to $3.5 million a year in years three through five." Thus, likely only under $3 million due to previous payouts from Texas A&M.

Arizona State - Interesting that Edwards makes under $3 million (2.5 I believe). They paid his predecessor Graham $3.2 million.

Indiana - now paying over $4 million per year.

Reactions: jbeisser
I don’t think so. He ain’t recruiting dawgs to BC. He only recruiting one type of kid. They will get all the kids ND rejects who parents love that catholic environment. He will need to hit Florida hard

he just opened a pipeline to Ohio . Not a great one, but there are some power private schools in Ohio similar to the ones BC depends on in north jersey

Reactions: bmanning2000
I just think on the margin we will be competing more for BC caliber recruits than OSU recruits and that he will work the north jersey catholic schools hard. Hopefully GS will put together the type of staff we envision and we will be OK

We have Nunzio’s brother as the head coach at Bergen Catholic. We have nunzio’s other brother as the offensive coordinator at DePaul. We have Gary nova on the staff at nunzio’s alma mater paramus Catholic. Rich Hansen at St. Peter’s will always have his kids give us a strong look and we get a lot of them.

Hafley wont make it easier - but we have the inside track. Parents more than ever want to watch their kids play. Rutgers is where they do that

Blauds had no inside information. He hasn't had any pull at BC in years.

I heard Hafley is still leader but the issue is not $$$ related, it's over admissions standards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT