ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hafley to BC??

That’s tweet I was referencing

The article that this BC guy wrote (linked to his twitter feed) is kind of all over the place with the different options. He doesn't sound at all certain about any of the candidates. He mentions the $ issue for Hafley, but even then says it is still a possibility.

Can’t wait to see the details. His demands where schiano like. Probably won’t know because it’s a private school

Reactions: madchuck
More interested in the other stuff. Staff salary? Plane? Facilities? Etc etc

yeah I agree...think we get all the details tomorrow morning. Going to get real interesting now on staff hires

Won't wish Hafley great success, but enough to move on to bigger and better things.
The Catholic School kids would be going to BC anyway with Greg maybe poaching one or two.
The public schools will be Schiano's domain
and Hafley will be fighting the PSU ,MSU and Michigan for the Jersey talent that want to leave the state.
His hire will affect Syracuse's ( maybe Pitt ) recruiting , not so much Rutgers .
But will hurt Rutgers chances with Catholic school talent that weren't so hot on BC . But those kids might still shun BC for Syracuse and Pitt with Indiana in the mix there.

Reactions: madchuck
While I think he could have gotten a higher-profile (and better paying) P5 job... this does make sense and he should be a good fit. though I don't wish him any success...

aside from Clemson - certainly an easier road to "show improvement" in ACC.... but, not sure winning at BC is a given... It's a win for BC and a step up from "guys being dudes"... but, we shall see...

Reactions: shields
Sounds like part of the hold up was $$$ for assistants, which he got.

From Thamel:
"BC ultimately parted ways with Addazio because they envisioned a higher ceiling for the program. BC has backed that up with promises of improvements within the program, including a significantly increased salary pool for assistant coaches."

Last edited:
Won't wish Hafley great success, but enough to move on to bigger and better things.
The Catholic School kids would be going to BC anyway with Greg maybe poaching one or two.
The public schools will be Schiano's domain
and Hafley will be fighting the PSU ,MSU and Michigan for the Jersey talent that want to leave the state.
His hire will affect Syracuse's ( maybe Pitt ) recruiting , not so much Rutgers .
But will hurt Rutgers chances with Catholic school talent that weren't so hot on BC . But those kids might still shun BC for Syracuse and Pitt with Indiana in the mix there.
Totally agree with this. People forget that the Catholic school kids for the most part didn't come to Rutgers under Schiano last time until we proved we could win.

I say, don't freak out about this, forget Camp for DC, do whatever it takes to get Elijah Robinson and lock down the rest of NJ with Brown and Robinson. When that leads to winning, the north Jersey parochial kids will start coming.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewbagel423
Good move by Hafley and good pick by BC.

His 5 years at Pitt proved he was a fantastic recruiter for us and continued to be wherever he went.

Some on the Board who said he should wait for a better P5 program before making the move never made sense to me.

Why should he remain a DC at OSU when he could make significantly more as HC at BC and there is no down side for him with moderate success.

Adazzio is now the HC at CSU (after being let go by BC) and Greg is now the HC at Rutgers (after his stint at TB).

Hafley is a young energetic coach who has something to prove.

Everyone will have to deal with his recruiting prowess.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Hope he becomes a Diaco there
If you ever met Diaco and Hafley, then you would know they are two different types of people.

Diaco has the charisma of an introverted accountant. Not a leader of men in the locker room.

Hafley will succeed. Extremely passionate. Knows what he is doing and has the connections to build a staff that can be effective in the northeast.

It will be interesting to see if A Camp now comes to RU or will he look at better DC gigs in P5 programs.

Totally agree with this. People forget that the Catholic school kids for the most part didn't come to Rutgers under Schiano last time until we proved we could win.

I say, don't freak out about this, forget Camp for DC, do whatever it takes to get Elijah Robinson and lock down the rest of NJ with Brown and Robinson. When that leads to winning, the north Jersey parochial kids will start coming.
BC is the safety school for NJ football players who are being tepidly recruited by Notre Dame.

First question should be when is Hadley leaving Ohio State. He could very well be there for another month.

First question should be when is Hadley leaving Ohio State. He could very well be there for another month.
That really doesn't affect my point, though.

The parochial school kids didn't come last time when Schiano said we would win, they only came AFTER we starting winning. I think we run the risk of focusing too much about the next couple of classes of parochial players who aren't likely to come here.

We have Brown. Get Robinson. We clean up in public school and south jersey recruiting, we start winning, and only THEN the north jersey parochial players will start coming.

I just don't think we should be hiring coordinators (or freaking out about Hafley going to BC) based on the kids from schools who won't come here just for the coach anyway.

Urban isn't there anymore, so I doubt the assistant coaches are chained to OSU until their season is fully complete.

The parochial school kids didn't come last time when Schiano said we would win, they only came AFTER we starting winning. I think we run the risk of focusing too much about the next couple of classes of parochial players who aren't likely to come here.

We have Brown. Get Robinson. We clean up in public school and south jersey recruiting, we start winning, and only THEN the north jersey parochial players will start coming.

I just don't think we should be hiring coordinators (or freaking out about Hafley going to BC) based the kids from schools who won't come here just for the coach anyway.
The factors could be different this time around. Having Nunzio (BC), and maybe a few other coaches with parochial connections could change how current parochial kids view Rutgers.

The truth is, go get the best players regardless of school. It could be parochial or public. Just go get them.

Nothing personal but if it is Hafley to BC I hope he crashes and burns spectacularly, especially after negotiating a lot of guaranteed money.

Reactions: ATIOH
1. We're not competing against the ACC.

2. Hafley is up against tough admission standards. This isn't the BC of 80s. Father doesn't allow marginal kids in.

3. Seriously. You are a serious FBall player (hence, I didn't say student), what are you going to do? You'd rather play in the B1G than misfit toys of the ACC.

I am not afraid of Hafley whatsoever.

I just don't think we should be hiring coordinators (or freaking out about Hafley going to BC) based on the kids from schools who won't come here just for the coach anyway.
They really started coming when Haf was here I guess will see how good a recruiter Nunz is when going up against Haf. You can guarantee there will be coaches with NJ ties on his staff.

Some people are talking about recruiting the North Jersey parochials as if it was black and white: They will or won't come. They won't come if Hafley goes to BC. They won't come until RU wins first. They all go to BC. Recruit SJ first until we win and then recruit North Jersey....

It's not like that. Chris Ash got Brian Felter from Bergen Catholic to commit this year, at Rutgers' low point, who had BC and many more P5 offers. And there are a couple other North Jersey parochials he got this class. And that was ASH.

Plenty of these kids want to stay home, rep their state, aren't catholic, don't like Notre Dame, don't like priests, or whatever. They recruit all kinds of kids from all over to these schools. Hafley will get his, we will get ours. It's all fine.

1. We're not competing against the ACC.

2. Hafley is up against tough admission standards. This isn't the BC of 80s. Father doesn't allow marginal kids in.

3. Seriously. You are a serious FBall player (hence, I didn't say student), what are you going to do? You'd rather play in the B1G than misfit toys of the ACC.

I am not afraid of Hafley whatsoever.

I hope your right but I am less sure about that. We do compete against BC for recruits and the conference affiliation is not that much of an advantage in the decision making process. I find it interesting that we are approaching 5 pages of discussion on this hire so there is a reason the interest is so high. Here is another thing I am wondering about: if things did not work out for us with GS, do you think he would have gotten the BC job over Haf? Probably depends a bit on what they would be willing to pay, but if GS wanted to work it did not appear as though he had many options. I wonder who they would have chosen.

Reactions: MozRU
I wonder how the Hafley hire might effect the possibility of Augie Hoffman joining the RU staff?

Some people are talking about recruiting the North Jersey parochials as if it was black and white: They will or won't come. They won't come if Hafley goes to BC. They won't come until RU wins first. They all go to BC. Recruit SJ first until we win and then recruit North Jersey....

It's not like that. Chris Ash got Brian Felter from Bergen Catholic to commit this year, at Rutgers' low point, who had BC and many more P5 offers. And there are a couple other North Jersey parochials he got this class. And that was ASH.

Plenty of these kids want to stay home, rep their state, aren't catholic, don't like Notre Dame, don't like priests, or whatever. They recruit all kinds of kids from all over to these schools. Hafley will get his, we will get ours. It's all fine.

While we definitely need to get better, I actually think that cuse, Pitt and even Temple (especially with Coach Schiano back here) may end up suffering the most from Hafley to BC. If he gets Hoffman and we get AC that's just about a wash IMO.

Joe P.

Last edited:
he just opened a pipeline to Ohio . Not a great one, but there are some power private schools in Ohio similar to the ones BC depends on in north jersey
Yea but those kids want to play in the big ten. Those would go to Indiana before going to BC.

Sounds like part of the hold up was $$$ for assistants, which he got.

From Thamel:
"BC ultimately parted ways with Addazio because they envisioned a higher ceiling for the program. BC has backed that up with promises of improvements within the program, including a significantly increased salary pool for assistant coaches."
Rutgers is making all NE schools pony up lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT