ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How some people manage to navigate daily life amazes me

It was easier to dBA as Nick Pappagiorgio for me.

EiW13ocXcAAJKZD.jpg
LOL. We got those from Busch campus in the 80s. Worked like a charm.

Government requires passports to be free to travel, government should pay for it. A function of government that taxes should pay for but I guess that tax money goes to many other "essential" functions. Think it is time to rewatch the movie "Brazil" where a woman get a bill for her husband's abduction by government goon squad.
Just had my last interaction with the US consulate in Hong Kong. Scummiest place on Earth. Charges US citizens for "security premium" to renew a passport. Every other consulate is in an office building with a single Gurka at the door. You go through 3 checkpoints just to enter the building. Disgusting.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
The people you see at the MVC are average people. If you think they are dumb, consider that ~50% of the population is even dumber.

I have to renew my NJ license when I move back. Thinking of just using my Hong Kong license for a while and claim I don't live in NJ. Used it once years ago and the cop had no idea what to do. Pulled me over for no reason anyway. It was late on a rural road and I wasn't speeding. Dick was hoping I was drunk.

Reactions: redking
As long as you bring your passport to travel within the US, you don't need a RealID. I always take my passport and also have the passport card as well. However, I just got the RealID in June. Process was super easy and you can get an appointment the next day. DMC had plenty of people helping others complete forms. In and out in less than 15 minutes.

Next day appointment?? Wow! You got lucky. I wasn't able to get anything until October (going to Rahway). Not sure what dates were available though if I wanted to go to Burlington county or Sussex .

Instructions from Volvo on how to manually (not by motor) fold down your rear seats from inside the car, step 1:

"1. Ensure that there are no occupants or objects in the rear seat."

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive
I used to work for Dutch company. When working with Dutch people visiting the States, they would often point out all these legal dislaimers.. on escalators, on plastic bags from the dry cleaners "Do Not Put Over Head".. with graphics. Stuff like that.

I have to renew my NJ license when I move back. Thinking of just using my Hong Kong license for a while and claim I don't live in NJ. Used it once years ago and the cop had no idea what to do. Pulled me over for no reason anyway. It was late on a rural road and I wasn't speeding. Dick was hoping I was drunk.
That happened to me in my youth. I dropped off a friend at his house and then was heading home. Sober me. Its late, very dark. Cop seems to race up onto my car's butt... I do not know its a cop, just headlights. I speed up... just to make a little room.. bamn! lights come on, pulls me over. Ticket. SOmething tells me if I agve him a brake check he would have pulled me over too. What a Dick! 99.99% of cops don't want to be doing that crap... has to be quotas.. which they always claim they don't have.

Last edited:
Reactions: redking and angmo
Just had my last interaction with the US consulate in Hong Kong. Scummiest place on Earth. Charges US citizens for "security premium" to renew a passport. Every other consulate is in an office building with a single Gurka at the door. You go through 3 checkpoints just to enter the building. Disgusting.

Is that a change since the PRC took over or was it always that way?

Next day appointment?? Wow! You got lucky. I wasn't able to get anything until October (going to Rahway). Not sure what dates were available though if I wanted to go to Burlington county or Sussex .
There is a different set of available appointments for those renewing their driver's license and those just wanting to update to a RealID. As I said above, I was just updating and when I went on the website there were zero available appointments except for 4 locations in South Jersey. I went back to the site about an hour later to check something and there was 1 appointment available in Edison for the next day - I just got lucky.

There is a different set of available appointments for those renewing their driver's license and those just wanting to update to a RealID. As I said above, I was just updating and when I went on the website there were zero available appointments except for 4 locations in South Jersey. I went back to the site about an hour later to check something and there was 1 appointment available in Edison for the next day - I just got lucky.
Dang. Good for you! I am just updating. Wife and I had appointments at a South Brunswick mobile facility, then 3 days later, they cancelled on us.

If people could follow instructions and have the patience to pay a little more attention to detail it would put a lot of people out of work from good paying jobs. Carry on.

Went to Motor Vehicle this morning to get my RealID. The number of people that can't follow directions, fill out forms or comprehend simple instructions is astounding. How do these people stay alive?
It's tough to get anything done at the DMV when many of the employees do not know what the required documents are to secure the REAL ID. I spent 30 minutes in the Rahway DMV teaching the agents and the supervisor that you do not need physical Social Security merely proof of social security number (tax filing etc.). Not only showed them the necessary items directly printed form their website but I had to call the DMV in Trenton to have them explain. I can only imagine trying to navigate that place not speaking the language or not having been through the Rutgers class registration systems of the 90's

The most difficult identity check I have ever had was satisfying the residency paper work requirements for my kids Little League tournament. My license and passport had both expired. I almost had to do an emergency 7 hours of driving to get a birth certificate to reestablish who I was.

It's tough to get anything done at the DMV when many of the employees do not know what the required documents are to secure the REAL ID. I spent 30 minutes in the Rahway DMV teaching the agents and the supervisor that you do not need physical Social Security merely proof of social security number (tax filing etc.). Not only showed them the necessary items directly printed form their website but I had to call the DMV in Trenton to have them explain. I can only imagine trying to navigate that place not speaking the language or not having been through the Rutgers class registration systems of the 90's
Not needing actual proof of your SS number is new (June 2022). My experience at the Edison facility was great (except for the walking dead).

Always been that way. At least for my 20 years. My blood pressure would always go through the roof when I had to deal with them. I was friends with the head of the Marine detachment there and complained to him. His response was "How do you think I feel".

That happened to me in my youth. I dropped off a friend at his house and then was heading home. Sober me. Its late, very dark. Cop seems to race up onto my car's butt... I do not know its a cop, just headlights. I speed up... bamn! lights come on, pulls me over. Ticket. What a Dick! 99.99% of cops don't want to be doing that crap... has to be quotas.. which they always claim they don't have.
Yeah. This prick was trying to get me to speed, but it was late at night on a rural road, so that wasn't happening. His excuse was my car was the same make and model as another vehicle that had just committed a crime. It was a friggen Camry rental. Guy was just a douche.

It was a listening station during the cold war. The property is worth at least $50bln. Now that the US govt and chicoms are in bed together, they should just sell it. Americans are leaving this shithole in droves anyway.

It was a listening station during the cold war. The property is worth at least $50bln. Now that the US govt and chicoms are in bed together, they should just sell it. Americans are leaving this shithole in droves anyway.
I was there in the summer of ‘94. Still a British colony.

One thing I remember was the pace…like Manhattan. There was an energy.

Reactions: redking
Not needing actual proof of your SS number is new (June 2022). My experience at the Edison facility was great (except for the walking dead).
I had physical proof. Printed out government document with social security number. Went in April of 21. Didn't realize they rolled back that provision to now you merely need to know your social security number.

I usually use the Freehold location and they are phenomenal. Rahway was a third world country in comparison.

Not even just for realid- NJ MVD has become a joke. We missed our registration renewal in the mail for one of our cars- we had to go get it done in person as we wanted to use the car the next week. Anyway- we were able to schedule an appointment the next day but found that only a few locations do registration. And yet, different locations do licenses. All spread around the state. We had to drive over an 1.5 hours to get to the nearest MVD that would do the registration. It is crazy.

People are just resilient and often surprise you. Heck I even know a few seton hall grads that live on their own 😉

Reactions: rurichdog
Not even just for realid- NJ MVD has become a joke. We missed our registration renewal in the mail for one of our cars- we had to go get it done in person as we wanted to use the car the next week. Anyway- we were able to schedule an appointment the next day but found that only a few locations do registration. And yet, different locations do licenses. All spread around the state. We had to drive over an 1.5 hours to get to the nearest MVD that would do the registration. It is crazy.
My wife was at the Bakers Basin location on Tuesday to get her RealID. She heard a gentleman asking about registering his car and the woman behind the counter told him they don't do registrations and he had to go to Trenton.

I was there in the summer of ‘94. Still a British colony.

One thing I remember was the pace…like Manhattan. There was an energy.
Yeah. There was. Loved my 20 years here. Well 17 of them at least. I have 4 expat friends still here out of dozens. Feel bad for the locals as the tyranny descends on them.

Now it's a decimated shell with cops attacking people for not wearing a mask. An app that the government can turn red to keep you from going out. That's what communism looks like.

My wife was at the Bakers Basin location on Tuesday to get her RealID. She heard a gentleman asking about registering his car and the woman behind the counter told him they don't do registrations and he had to go to Trenton.
Pretty much- we had to travel from Franklin Lakes to Lakewood for registration. We ran into a lady there who had walked up with no appointment hoping to get her license renewed and they sent her somewhere else about 45 minutes away.

That sucks your appointment is so far out. We do have great MVC offices by me. I am not giving up any secrets, but I did see a lot of offices with great availability. Going to the larger locations is difficult.

That sucks your appointment is so far out. We do have great MVC offices by me. I am not giving up any secrets, but I did see a lot of offices with great availability. Going to the larger locations is difficult.
almost everyone I know could get an appt withing 2 days but you may have to drive an hour plus to get to it

Pretty much- we had to travel from Franklin Lakes to Lakewood for registration. We ran into a lady there who had walked up with no appointment hoping to get her license renewed and they sent her somewhere else about 45 minutes away.
Since when do only dealers handle title and registration of new cars in NJ. IIRC, we always did this ourselves. Now dealers hit customers anywhere from $600 upwards of $1000 for this "service." Ridiculous.

almost everyone I know could get an appt withing 2 days but you may have to drive an hour plus to get to it
I just checked their site. Almost every location in NJ (including Rahway) has Real ID appointments tomorrow or Monday at this point. I wish Wyckoff was still around but you and I have it good since we have a great location only minutes away.

Since when do only dealers handle title and registration of new cars in NJ. IIRC, we always did this ourselves. Now dealers hit customers anywhere from $600 upwards of $1000 for this "service." Ridiculous.
Yea that is something I noticed on my car purchases starting around 2010. I told the guy I will take care of it take it off the bill. He said the law has changed and all new/used cars sold through dealer have to be registered and titled through the dealer. I am not sure if that is true or not but the last 4 cars I have bought. I negotiate the removal of that charge and pay for only the cost of titling and registration which in most cases is less than $200

Go to Walmart if you really want to people watch OP.
You don't have to "go" there. Go here:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT