ADVERTISEMENT

OT: June 6, D-Day Plus 80 years

MadRU

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2001
Tomorrow is the 80th anniversary of D-Day, one, “not famous” movie I like to watch on June 5th is, Ike: Countdown to D-Day. Not a real high budget film but gives an interesting perspective of the planning and obstacles Ike faced to make the decision to go.

I believe Zap's dad, Yogi, was there.
In Halberstam's "Summer of '49", there's a scene where a Yankee veteran is dissing Yogi for not catching both ends of a doubleheader during a pennant race, as though he was too feeble to do so. I always think of Yogi's grim experiences on the beaches of Normandy just a few years earlier when I read that part...

In Halberstam's "Summer of '49", there's a scene where a Yankee veteran is dissing Yogi for not catching both ends of a doubleheader during a pennant race, as though he was too feeble to do so. I always think of Yogi's grim experiences on the beaches of Normandy just a few years earlier when I read that part...
Yogi was on the support landing craft firing ordnance at the Jerry's before and during having men land on the beaches. He was wounded by enemy fire and got a purple heart as well.

There is a great documentary about Hollywood going to war which highlights all the actors and actresses contributions. Some of them are bone chilling, nothing like the candy asses y'all pay overpriced tickets to watch:) The same team did one on the athletes. Believe it or not, the athletes didn't contribute as much to the fighting etc.. Yogi did!

all of them are heroes of the highest order and deserve our life's respect. God Bless them all

Watching the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan, I just marvel at the absolute courage these young men displayed. I can’t even imagine leaping out of the amphibious transport and charging the beach while being showered with bullets from the beachhead. That’s the true definition of hero. God bless all their souls.

There is a reason why they are called the greatest generation.

I was looking for this post this year. I've mentioned before, about my Grandfather Otto May who was a member of Fox Company, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne. The sister company of the famed Easy Company from Band of Brothers fame.

Check out this incredible story:
https://insidedio.blog.gov.uk/2024/06/03/operation-nightingale-digging-band-of-brothers/

A few weeks back I got a very random facebook message from an archeologist in the UK. She said she found my grandfathers dog tag in Aldborne at a "band of brother" archeologist dig. I assumed it was a scam, she'd want my credit card info or something.
After some research I learned about this Operation Nightingale, a part of the Ministry of Defense in the UK which uses archeology as a form of mental health treatment for active duty and veteran military members. They just so happened to be digging where some Nissen Hut/tents were in Aldborne, UK where Easy Company and Fox company were stationed leading up to D-Day. They unearthed my grandfather's dog tag, which had been stashed in the dirt for nearly 80 years. We've since had several interviews with the dig team and were invited to the dig site next year for an induction of the dog tags and other of my grandfathers medals etc into a local museum. Truly incredible

I was looking for this post this year. I've mentioned before, about my Grandfather Otto May who was a member of Fox Company, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne. The sister company of the famed Easy Company from Band of Brothers fame.

Check out this incredible story:
https://insidedio.blog.gov.uk/2024/06/03/operation-nightingale-digging-band-of-brothers/

A few weeks back I got a very random facebook message from an archeologist in the UK. She said she found my grandfathers dog tag in Aldborne at a "band of brother" archeologist dig. I assumed it was a scam, she'd want my credit card info or something.
After some research I learned about this Operation Nightingale, a part of the Ministry of Defense in the UK which uses archeology as a form of mental health treatment for active duty and veteran military members. They just so happened to be digging where some Nissen Hut/tents were in Aldborne, UK where Easy Company and Fox company were stationed leading up to D-Day. They unearthed my grandfather's dog tag, which had been stashed in the dirt for nearly 80 years. We've since had several interviews with the dig team and were invited to the dig site next year for an induction of the dog tags and other of my grandfathers medals etc into a local museum. Truly incredible

If you're interested at all in Operation Nightingale, here is a great documentary about their digging process in the Band of Brothers site from their 2023 dig.

My uncle got a lucky but unlucky break training in England for the landing. The gate on the LCT opened & compound fractured his leg. The war for him was over. Everyone in his platoon got killed in the landing. While I was young just remember him having a severe limp and heard there was a large degree of guilt he wasnt on the craft with his brothers that he carried for life

Never been to Normandy but in position #1 on my bucket list. I have always been a monster war buff. If anyone goes to New Orleans I highly reccomend the WW2 museum its incredible covers noth Europe & Pacific war zones. I only got about a hour in there I need to go back and spend 6 or 7 in there

Last edited:
Reactions: RUnTeX
Yogi was on the support landing craft firing ordnance at the Jerry's before and during having men land on the beaches. He was wounded by enemy fire and got a purple heart as well.

There is a great documentary about Hollywood going to war which highlights all the actors and actresses contributions. Some of them are bone chilling, nothing like the candy asses y'all pay overpriced tickets to watch:) The same team did one on the athletes. Believe it or not, the athletes didn't contribute as much to the fighting etc.. Yogi did!

all of them are heroes of the highest order and deserve our life's respect. God Bless them all

And Ted Williams. WWII AND Korea. Think what his lifetime stats would have been with those extra 4 seasons during his prime. I believe Purple Heart in Korea as well. Fighter pilot.

My uncle got a lucky but unlucky break training in England for the landing. The gate on the LCT opened & compound fractured his leg. The war for him was over. Everyone in his platoon got killed in the landing. While I was young just remember him having a severe limp and heard there was a large degree of guilt he wasnt on the craft with his brothers that he carried for life
A complex emotion that many of us never can nor will ever understand. Wow...

Don't forget Jerry Coleman.
He rose to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, flew 57 combat missions in the South Pacific and another 63 in Korea. Padres have a real nice tribute to him outside Petco Park.

Yes my dad was there, firing his twin 50s from a 5 man rocket boat 50 yards off of Omaha Beach.

It’s important we recognize and celebrate the heroics of the one million African American troops who behind the scenes supplied and supported our troops.
Along with the few segregated combat units who actually fought and held their ground…. All heroes.

It was wrong and disgraceful our WW 2 military was segregated, but it’s a wrong we corrected.
These black men were patriotic, proud Americans who deserve accolades and distinction!

Last edited:
Yes my dad was there, firing his twin 50 from a 5 man rocket boat 50 yards off of Omaha Beach.

It’s important we recognize and celebrate the heroics of the one million African American troops who behind the scenes supplied and supported our troops.
Along with the few segregated units who actually fought and held their ground…. All heroes.

It was wrong and disgraceful our WW 2 military was segregated, but it’s a wrong we corrected.
These black men were patriotic, proud Americans who deserve accolades and distinction!

Many have heard about the Tuskegee Airmen. Not so for the Red Ball Express.

everyone who put on a uniform or worked the factories, docks, supply chains at home were all heroes as well. No one is forgotten but D Day belongs to the men who stormed the beaches and directly supported that effort. Most incredible war feat ever

I have a original cricket too! (I have an extensive military collection from multiple time periods)

everyone who put on a uniform or worked the factories, docks, supply chains at home were all heroes as well. No one is forgotten but D Day belongs to the men who stormed the beaches and directly supported that effort. Most incredible war feat ever

I have a original cricket too! (I have an extensive military collection from multiple time periods)
Is it true the bolt action of the German rifle closely resembled the sound.
Yup, i watched The Longest Day

Is it true the bolt action of the German rifle closely resembled the sound.
Yup, i watched The Longest Day
k98? bolt sound is pretty distinctive (I have one all correct with the right markings) but it does not sound like the cricket clicker. Allies used a 1 then 2 response whereas the k98 with mauser action has 4 distinct sounds in racking the bolt. I don't think you'd confuse the sound but I guess it's possible I mean in war, stuff happens but highly doubtful given the limited use and Germans not being prepared for it. Only 7500 were made and after 1st landing, they were not to be used after 24hrs to avoid Germans getting them and using against us. there are less than 20 known to have survived and logged in various museums, personal collections and I have 1.

longest day is an awesome movie!

• Wow
Reactions: newell138
not uncommon to hear about when men were not there and felt they should have been. 4f suicides were real and common too

my grandfather was D+3 with Patton (spent whole war with him) and said it was a mess. They got off and went right to the lines to fight. On the way they had troops cycling back with and without wounded. Now mind you, by this time he was already veteran of North Africa and had seen bloodshed and fought the Germans and Italians but he said it was an absolute mess walking through that. He also said everyone and everything was quiet in awe imagining what it was like. His comment was the first thing he heard was being yelled at to disembark as he was fixated on landing site in wonderment. I often wonder about that as what it must have been like to pull up to that place so close to AFTER.

God Bless our boys

For those who don't know what we're talking about who better to explain it but The Duke.

And re: Zap's post

totally hollywood, that is not the sound it makes and of course, the number of shots in succession is off. Also, no one is being hit at less than 25yds with two shots of 8mm and then talking before a controlled collapse. Hollywood doing it's thing:)

Yes my dad was there, firing his twin 50s from a 5 man rocket boat 50 yards off of Omaha Beach.

Along with the few segregated combat units who actually fought and held their ground…. All heroes.

Zap - was thinking of your dad just now and wanted to find the quote from the movie about him not getting the Purple Heart, despite being eligible:

"He took a piece of shrapnel or a bullet in his hand during the invasion of northern France just after D-Day. He declined to fill out the paperwork because he didn’t want his mother to get the telegram at home and worry that he had been wounded.”

For folks who want to read more..

Zap - was thinking of your dad just now and wanted to find the quote from the movie about him not getting the Purple Heart, despite being eligible:

"He took a piece of shrapnel or a bullet in his hand during the invasion of northern France just after D-Day. He declined to fill out the paperwork because he didn’t want his mother to get the telegram at home and worry that he had been wounded.”

For folks who want to read more..

He had a zipper scar that started at the base of his right thumb up to his wrist.
He was worried about losing his thumb at the time, whenever asked about it his answer was he was blessed and lucky.
My brothers and I used to ask him if he was scared and he said he was to busy doing his job to be freighted, he spoke of the overwhelming need to fight for the man next to you because he was fighting for you… you didn’t want to let anyone down.
When you think about first waves and front rows during the civil war, my conclusion is the group mentality was the source of courage

Now from another perspective one of my wife's best friends is German. We are married 18+ yrs but before we got married we went to her friends parents for dinner. I think it was her dad's birthday. I went into their side room dont really know what room it was it wasnt a living room but his dad was in the German Army and got see alot of real cool photos & memorabilia stuff from.the war. Many pics of him in his Uniform in the field during the war.
It was like a little museum. Her dad took the time to explain all the pictures & items to me.
Often forget there are 2 opposing sides with everyone just trying to stay alive and go back home

I had a old gentleman that used that used to run deliveries when I ran an auto store. He told me the funniest story. He was 1/2 crying/laughing when he told me the story. He was in WW2 in France in a column. He was the Jeep Driver I think a Seargent. There was a German plane up above getting ready to make a run at them. Everyone left the vehicles and went on either side of the road. He ran jumped on back of Jeep and started firing the 50 Cal. 1st time he ever fired all his guys were running for cover...he shot up houses and shot off an entire slate roof from one of the houses and was nowhere near the plane.

The Captain or General attached I dont know which screamed at him Private Masucci are you trained on the 50Cal. He said no but I'm not a private I'm a Seargent. He screamed well you're a private now. He lost his stripes

Been very fortunate to have war stories told to me over the years 1st person & 2nd person. He was so funny he said he grabbed the 50 trigger and just started shooting before he aimed. Luckily all his guys got out of the way and didnt kill anyone in the houses.

Now from another perspective one of my wife's best friends is German. We are married 18+ yrs but before we got married we went to her friends parents for dinner. I think it was her dad's birthday. I went into their side room dont really know what room it was it wasnt a living room but his dad was in the German Army and got see alot of real cool photos & memorabilia stuff from.the war. Many pics of him in his Uniform in the field during the war.
It was like a little museum. Her dad took the time to explain all the pictures & items to me.
Often forget there are 2 opposing sides with everyone just trying to stay alive and go back home
many Germans didn't like the nazis and not all Germans were Nazis. In fact, less than 4mm Germans were Nazis

Said this here before, but I have an uncle buried above Omaha. Cousins and other relatives have visited the site, including 2 nieces on semesters abroad. All said the closer to Normandy you get the friendlier the people. One cousin took a guided tour of the cemetary. Started to pose a question about "when we invaded" and the guide immediate turned and said "you mean when you liberated".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT