ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NEW EVERYTHING / ANYTHING COVID-19 THREAD PART II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to vent here. My girlfriend is a teacher in a central jersey district that currently has an outbreak under way (not at her school but others in the district). Last week her co-teacher found out her husband had covid therefore the school policy says she needs to stay out for 14 days and cannot teach virtually. Today the coteacher tests positive and there’s a reasonable chance my Girlfriend will also test positive given their close contact last week (they are also best friends outside school). So now the school district has run out of subs and told my girlfriend she needs to keep teaching in person unless she starts to show symptoms (they told her in writing not to get a test). Normally they would have required my girlfriend to quarantine and test as it was a primary exposure.

This is the type of policy that kills someone down the line. It’s ridiculous the way things are administratively handled in this state. Tomorrow there is a very real chance my girlfriend is asymptomatic and will spread it to multiple kids or staff who will then bring it home to their families.

We already dealt with incompetance once where a rehab facility covered up an outbreak among staff that killed a grandparent of ours.

Smdfh

Update

At 6 PM the school district sent a note out to staff stating they are no longer requiring testing and quarantining for students or staff with a confirmed primary exposure. Testing and quarantining would only be required if the staff member or student is displaying symptoms. Furthermore, asymptomatic/presymptomatic positive staff are required to work in-person regardless of the test/exposure date.

This is criminal. If your child attends public school in eastern Somerset County I implore you to call your school nurse and inquire about the school's COVID policy. I REALLY want to say the district but I've said enough that could potentially identify my girlfriend.

Yes the data are limited, but getting a p-value of 0.001 (when p < 0.05 usually confers a statistically significant difference between the treatment and the placebo) is pretty impressive for such small numbers. We'll see soon enough, but that p-value is why people like Siegel are so excited.

At day 5, there was a reduction (nominal p=0.001, not controlled for multiplicity) in positive viral culture in subjects who received molnupiravir (all doses) compared to placebo: 0% (0/47) for molnupiravir and 24% (6/25) for placebo.
Sample size is part of the p-value calculation. P-value of 0.001 is pretty impressive (full stop).

Update

At 6 PM the school district sent a note out to staff stating they are no longer requiring testing and quarantining for students or staff with a confirmed primary exposure. Testing and quarantining would only be required if the staff member or student is displaying symptoms. Furthermore, asymptomatic/presymptomatic positive staff are required to work in-person regardless of the test/exposure date.

This is criminal. If your child attends public school in eastern Somerset County I implore you to call your school nurse and inquire about the school's COVID policy. I REALLY want to say the district but I've said enough that could potentially identify my girlfriend.
I think that's consistent with CDC reccs at this point.

How soon after injection did you feel that? I get that whenever i get an injection or blood drawn. Usually hits about 30 minutes after. Feels exactly likely you said, like I NEED to sleep now or else. Sucks.
About 4 hours.

There’s no concern about asymptomatic spread anymore? If that’s the new recommendation then we’re basically treating it like any other illness (if you don’t feel well don’t come in).

Very little concern when it comes to children.
CDC recommends keeping kids home only when showing symptoms. No reason to test daily

My daughter received her initial shot last night. This morning she was told the special ed teacher that is also in her room has Covid

Reactions: Greg2020
You’ll hear more of these things occurring as schools open up. It is no different then when someone in class had the flu . Now no kids or for that matter adults get the flu? A miracle ...

I don't like to use Covid and flu in any comparison. I see them as comparing a highway car crash and a parking lot fender bender

I don't like to use Covid and flu in any comparison. I see them as comparing a highway car crash and a parking lot fender bender
No the comparison is legit. When was the last in school flu breakout? Kids not getting flu ? Adults not getting flu? I’m not comparing one to the other .Just finding it very odd and sorry many medical people do as well. What do you attribute NO flu reports to. Example: in a local medical practice of 4K patients 18-up No flu ? It’s not because of masks either .

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
tom1944 please don’t get me wrong covid19 is an example of a highly infectious disease yet the incidence of flu and “deaths” is basically gone or at least under reported. For me when a positive comes up then you put everyone on alert. You test the faculty and kids but as we see the severity in the young fortunately is almost 0. Number 1 is you don’t send your kid to school with any symptoms. If a teacher feels sick call out and test. It is still being used as a political point and that will eventually comeback to haunt this country.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
No the comparison is legit. When was the last in school flu breakout? Kids not getting flu ? Adults not getting flu? I’m not comparing one to the other .Just finding it very odd and sorry many medical people do as well. What do you attribute NO flu reports to. Example: in a local medical practice of 4K patients 18-up No flu ? It’s not because of masks either .

It’s due to masks, social distancing and other precautions that have been put in place for Covid.

Got my first dose of Moderna earlier in the week -- pretty seamless process at the megasite I went to and no side effects in the 48 hours since the dose.

Mine was surprisingly seamless too. I got mine 9 days ago. Only side effect was a feeling of exhaustion. Fell asleep for maybe 2 hours watching TV and after going to bed, slept a solid 8 hours which by itself is 1-1.5 hours more than normal.

My daughter got the J&J Saturday and won the side effect lottery...pain, slight fever, chills, and really tired.

Wait? So NO TWINdemic as was promised?!?

😐 < - my shocked face

How about all the precautions over tha past year, including masks, has been a major factor?

It’s due to masks, social distancing and other precautions that have been put in place for Covid.
You can’t prove that conclusively. If it were so we would not continue to have high incidence of Covid in some states. Such as NY and NJ. Nice to think that way but people know what they need to do. What’s it going to be in say 3 years from today? Masks, no masks or some masks .

And COVID is significantly more transmissible than influenza - that's why we're still seeing plenty of COVID cases, but almost no flu cases.
Yes we get that but there still is no conclusive data ( unbiased) that says masks definitely stop influenza and covid19. Just took a peak at today’s totals. Still 56 deaths 3070 something positives . So the masks work is not adding up at least in NJ.

You cannot change the past.A 40 year habit of smoking 2 packs of Camels per day cannot be fixed by wearing a mask.

Yes we get that but there still is no conclusive data ( unbiased) that says masks definitely stop influenza and covid19. Just took a peak at today’s totals. Still 56 deaths 3070 something positives . So the masks work is not adding up at least in NJ.
There are many studies that show masks work (but not perfectly and some work better than others), both from a fundamental virus droplet/particle filtration perspective and from an epidemiological transmission rate perspective, which I've posted dozens of times. I'm not about to post it all again though - the site has a good search function.

There are many studies that show masks work (but not perfectly and some work better than others), both from a fundamental virus droplet/particle filtration perspective and from an epidemiological transmission rate perspective, which I've posted dozens of times. I'm not about to post it all again though - the site has a good search function.
Numbers so why the high rates and deaths in NJ and NY where there is still a semi mask edict. California , NY, NJ people are wearing masks yet for some weird reason their numbers still don’t look good.

And COVID is significantly more transmissible than influenza - that's why we're still seeing plenty of COVID cases, but almost no flu cases.

And this info is not new - posted about this last summer...

Back to some science. Thought this was pretty interesting: in the southern hemisphere, influenza cases are way, way down (down 65% in Argentina to 85% in Australia to 95% in Chile), presumably due to the distancing/mask-wearing efforts in most of these countries (as well as international travel bans). The coronavirus is a fair amount more infectious than the flu, so while many countries still see some COVID cases, even with strong distancing/masking, those efforts have really put a dent in flu transmission. Would be interesting to see an assessment of the transmission reduction for each, as a comparison, but the article didn't have that. Would be nice to have way below normal flu numbers this fall/winter in the US.

https://thehill.com/policy/internat...o-lower-influenza-numbers-across-the-southern

Numbers so why the high rates and deaths in NJ and NY where there is still a semi mask edict. California , NY, NJ people are wearing masks yet for some weird reason their numbers still don’t look good.

Because 30-40% of the population only wear masks in public indoor spaces, where forced to. Those people and more don't wear masks in small groups or around family indoors, which is where most transmissions occur. That's why we had a big increase in the fall (more people indoors), along with major spikes after TG and XMax/NY. Mathematically, you need to have ~90+% mask compliance everywhere (indoors at least) to see major reductions in cases and we've never been there in the US.

You can’t prove that conclusively. If it were so we would not continue to have high incidence of Covid in some states. Such as NY and NJ. Nice to think that way but people know what they need to do. What’s it going to be in say 3 years from today? Masks, no masks or some masks .

So what is your theory why flu rates are so low?

More good news on Regeneron's cocktail of two monoclonal antibodies for treatment/prevention of COVID (first link). The ongoing trial with mild to moderately ill COVID outpatients (not serious enough to be in a hospital), which showed good results at an interim analysis, was stopped by the IDMB (independent data monitoring board), as their review showed unequivocally strong efficacy (i.e., driving down viral loads and not allowing progression to severe COVID vs. placebo) for the cocktail, meaning it would be unethical to continue with a placebo arm of the trial.

They also said their cocktail appears to still be able to fend off the new variants, due to the differences in design of the two antibodies, targeting different parts of the virus's spike protein and in particular, in the lab theirs is still effective against the South African variant, while the Lilly antibody combo is not (2nd link). They expect to publish the results in March and expect to have 1.25MM doses (if the lower dose is approved - not clear on that - would be half that if not) by June.

While that's nowhere near enough doses at 50-100K infections per day, currently, if vaccinations and behaviors can continue to drive transmissions down to maybe 10-20K/day, which I think is likely by April, then that would likely be enough cocktail doses for most people who get infected, meaning we'd have great prevention (vaccines) and treatments in place for nearly everyone. I had always thought Regeneron would come through and be effective, but will admit it took longer than expected (EUAs weren't issued until Nov - was expecting Sept) and has been overshadowed by the vaccines (3rd link).

https://endpts.com/regeneron-halts-...nds-clear-efficacy-but-there-are-no-data-yet/

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/reg...uth-africa-variant-lillys-does-not-study-2021
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/ot-covid-science-pfizer-moderna-vaccines-90-effective-regeneron-antibody-cocktail-looks-very-promising-in-phase-ii-iii-trial-and-more.203426/post-4922821

Today, Eli Lilly also reported some pretty positive data on their cocktail mixture of two monoclonal antibodies, showing that these significantly reduced the likelihood (by 87%) of progression to hospitalization or death for those with mild to moderate COVID cases (non-hospitalized). These results are fairly similar to what we've seen for the Regeneron cocktail (post above), although that one has shown better ability to deal with the new variants. Regardless, this is more very good news for those who become infected with COVID.

https://www.biopharmadive.com/news/lilly-covid-antibody-drug-cocktail-hospitalizations/596481/

Because 30-40% of the population only wear masks in public indoor spaces, where forced to. Those people and more don't wear masks in small groups or around family indoors, which is where most transmissions occur. That's why we had a big increase in the fall (more people indoors), along with major spikes after TG and XMax/NY. Mathematically, you need to have ~90+% mask compliance everywhere (indoors at least) to see major reductions in cases and we've never been there in the US.
Really ? I very rarely see ( other than perhaps a walk outside ) people not wearing a mask. Now If you mean inside restaurants ok or on the boardwalk ok but that is no different than most viral transmission. Wish it wasn’t true but we will be told to wear masks even if 100% of the population was vaccinated. Just keep that up and let’s prepare for those booster shots.

Really ? I very rarely see ( other than perhaps a walk outside ) people not wearing a mask. Now If you mean inside restaurants ok or on the boardwalk ok but that is no different than most viral transmission. Wish it wasn’t true but we will be told to wear masks even if 100% of the population was vaccinated. Just keep that up and let’s prepare for those booster shots.
What state are you in that you see all these people wearing masks? I see tons of chin straps, but proportionately few masks that are actually worn to cover respiratory passages.

Reactions: mr_wizard_65
What state are you in that you see all these people wearing masks? I see tons of chin straps, but proportionately few masks that are actually worn to cover respiratory passages.
I live in the State of Rutgers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT