ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NEW EVERYTHING / ANYTHING COVID-19 THREAD PART II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look it up yourself. Did you forget that we didn't have enough testing? There is no requirement to report a Covid infection with a test. Symptoms are enough especially in LTC

I did, couldn’t find a thing.

We’ve had enough testing for a long time at this point.

Reactions: Greg2020
Really ? I very rarely see ( other than perhaps a walk outside ) people not wearing a mask. Now If you mean inside restaurants ok or on the boardwalk ok but that is no different than most viral transmission. Wish it wasn’t true but we will be told to wear masks even if 100% of the population was vaccinated. Just keep that up and let’s prepare for those booster shots.
I'm not talking about indoor public spaces - in NJ, at least, we're pretty close to 100% masked there. I'm talking about the 30-40% of the population, who are against masking and only do it where forced. Those people (and even some who do generally support masks) don't wear masks or distance in small groups or around family indoors, which is where most transmissions occur.

I did, couldn’t find a thing.

We’ve had enough testing for a long time at this point.
For a long time? Maybe a few months at best. It's been a year of pandemic. Find me an article to support that tests are required to list someone as Covid especially in LTC facilities.

I'm not talking about indoor public spaces - in NJ, at least, we're pretty close to 100% masked there. I'm talking about the 30-40% of the population, who are against masking and only do it where forced. Those people (and even some who do generally support masks) don't wear masks or distance in small groups or around family indoors, which is where most transmissions occur.
I don’t know anybody who wore masks the last 12 months while in their own house with just family members. Right or wrong, it’s wishful thinking if people wanted everybody to do that

Where are these places and where are they being forced . Not in NJ / NY and those 2 are amongst leaders in Covid 19 deaths still. Wait and didn’t the say CDC that if all are vaccinated there is no a need to “ socially “ distance? Especially in same families. But Rutgers board posters are expecting 25-50 % capacity at games this fall. A bit of ambiguity don’t you think?

Reactions: bac2therac
Where are these places and where are they being forced . Not in NJ / NY and those 2 are amongst leaders in Covid 19 deaths still. Wait and didn’t the say CDC that if all are vaccinated there is no a need to “ socially “ distance? Especially in same families. But Rutgers board posters are expecting 25-50 % capacity at games this fall. A bit of ambiguity don’t you think?
I know probably 100+ people who have gotten COVID. All of them got it hanging out inside a friend or family members house save one that got it at his job where they weeent wearing masks because it was like week one of this thing.

Look it up yourself. Did you forget that we didn't have enough testing? There is no requirement to report a Covid infection with a test. Symptoms are enough especially in LTC
I can't speak to other states, but in NJ, cases are reported as confirmed covid cases only if they are confirmed with a positive PCR test. NJ also reports additional "probable" cases if they are supported with a positive viral antigen test (those are the less reliable "15 minute" covid tests). In neither case would someone who is symptomatic, but without a positive PCR or viral antigen case be counted as a confirmed or probable covid case. In NJ there are 729K confirmed cases and 93K probable cases.

Covid deaths are counted somewhat differently, and this is what you might be thinking of. A confirmed covid death is still confirmed with a positive PCR death. But since there was a dearth of testing early in the epidemic, there were a lot of people who exhibited Covid symptoms and died without having a covid test (positive or negative). So in NJ, they reclassified those as probable covid deaths, based on their symptoms. In NJ there are 21K confirmed covid deaths and 2K probable covid deaths.

I know probably 100+ people who have gotten COVID. All of them got it hanging out inside a friend or family members house save one that got it at his job where they weeent wearing masks because it was like week one of this thing.
I would doubt it spread amongst a family grouping of say 6-10 people. I said vaccinated people ( all of them) . Exactly when did this occur? Ages? Vaccinated? From the holidays possible . Since the vaccinations started highly unlikely. Did you clear this with numbers ? He might be able to explain. Were this people reported to health officials ? Not saying you aren’t telling the truth but it seems odd.

Reactions: bac2therac
I would doubt it spread amongst a family grouping of say 6-10 people. I said vaccinated people ( all of them) . Exactly when did this occur? Ages? Vaccinated? From the holidays possible . Since the vaccinations started highly unlikely. Did you clear this with numbers ? He might be able to explain. Were this people reported to health officials ? Not saying you aren’t telling the truth but it seems odd.
Not vaccinated. All different times. Not always holidays. Everything from larger family gatherings to my wife’s cousin who literally just invited his mom and dad over last weekend and got it from them. To be fair I don’t know where my wife’s aunt and uncle got it who gave it to my wife’s cousin. My neighbor got it from his brother in law when he invited him over to watch football on NYD. Just the two of them. His brother in law didn’t know he had it at the time. Had gone to a bar a few days earlier though with no masks. He thinks he got it there. I have tons of stories like these.

Not vaccinated. All different times. Not always holidays. Everything from larger family gatherings to my wife’s cousin who literally just invited his mom and dad over last weekend and got it from them. To be fair I don’t know where my wife’s aunt and uncle got it who gave it to my wife’s cousin. My neighbor got it from his brother in law when he invited him over to watch football on NYD. Just the two of them. His brother in law didn’t know he had it at the time. Had gone to a bar a few days earlier though with no masks. He thinks he got it there. I have tons of stories like these.

Same as you. Know about 20 people who got it. They all got it within a house/apartment or car.

So were his parents asymptomatic? Not yet vaccinated and what age were parents. Well then it appears the brother in laws time at the bar was costly. My questions stem from the continued positive cases and deaths in NJ and NY. The group which is spreading the virus IMHO the is 30 -49 age group who still believe in their immortality and their inability to infect others. Many refuse to adhere to many of the recommendations.

Any thoughts on why NJ is still running hot with cases? We haven’t seen the same decline most of the country has seen and doing some quick math we have one of if not the highest rates per million in the country right now.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
So were his parents asymptomatic? Not yet vaccinated and what age were parents. Well then it appears the brother in laws time at the bar was costly. My questions stem from the continued positive cases and deaths in NJ and NY. The group which is spreading the virus IMHO the is 30 -49 age group who still believe in their immortality and their inability to infect others. Many refuse to adhere to many of the recommendations.
65. Asymptomatic. Not vaccinated yet. They have been going to restaurants a lot though with no masks mostly while eating. We think they got it there. Again though not sure on that obviously. Point is most people are getting it from what I see at places with little to no adherence to masking.

Reactions: RUBOB72
Same as you. Know about 20 people who got it. They all got it within a house/apartment or car.
Recently or back at the holidays. If your in a car with people not in your bubble ( mask) . Elderly at restaurants without being vaccinated a definite no no and asking for trouble. Well restaurants and bars I can see that. And as I posted NJ and NY though fairly locked down with mask edicts still as Baggs said running higher numbers and deaths based upon per million.

Here’s another thing in NJ . The counties in the northern corridor Bergen ,Passaic, Hudson , Essex, Union, Middlesex still high. Wonder if people just don’t care.? It’s not all about density. Vaccinations up but still behind what are the latest on per day and so far fully vaccinated.

Speculation
Maybe, maybe not
Well to be fair it is a little difficult attempting to eat while being masked. The fact is you can get it anywhere even in the safest of areas. That was the same with flu. Not as virulent but still could kill a susceptible person.

Any thoughts on why NJ is still running hot with cases? We haven’t seen the same decline most of the country has seen and doing some quick math we have one of if not the highest rates per million in the country right now.

I noticed that too. We sort of leveled out here. Only thing I can think of is it’s still cold in a densely populated state and restrictions continue to peel away.

I don’t know anybody who wore masks the last 12 months while in their own house with just family members. Right or wrong, it’s wishful thinking if people wanted everybody to do that
I don't mean with immediate family that one sees all the time - I mean with family one "visits" like on the holidays, where people who aren't in the same "bubble" would get together w/o masking or distancing and get infected. Same thing with friends at parties or just small gatherings inside. That's where most cases come from - and of course the huge superspreader events, like Sturgis, Mardi Gras, indoor weddings/parties, and everywhere in the NE US before we had testing. It's why I haven't been indoors with anyone other than my wife, son or his girlfriend since 3/3/20 (RU-MD game) and they haven't either - we all had social visits outdoors w/o masks at over 6', but that's it, i.e., no indoor visits, period, even with masks.

I noticed that too. We sort of leveled out here. Only thing I can think of is it’s still cold in a densely populated state and restrictions continue to peel away.
And we're fighting the battle w/the more transmissible variants vs. the vaccines, so I'd expect to stay at the current plateau or go up a bit until late March, when I think we'll have enough vaccinated (30-40% with at least 1 dose), plus infected/recovered/mostly immune (30-35% now) to really start to drive cases down.

I can't speak to other states, but in NJ, cases are reported as confirmed covid cases only if they are confirmed with a positive PCR test. NJ also reports additional "probable" cases if they are supported with a positive viral antigen test (those are the less reliable "15 minute" covid tests). In neither case would someone who is symptomatic, but without a positive PCR or viral antigen case be counted as a confirmed or probable covid case. In NJ there are 729K confirmed cases and 93K probable cases.

Covid deaths are counted somewhat differently, and this is what you might be thinking of. A confirmed covid death is still confirmed with a positive PCR death. But since there was a dearth of testing early in the epidemic, there were a lot of people who exhibited Covid symptoms and died without having a covid test (positive or negative). So in NJ, they reclassified those as probable covid deaths, based on their symptoms. In NJ there are 21K confirmed covid deaths and 2K probable covid deaths.

Yeah, it depends on the state. The CDC requested both confirmed and probable cases by counted and submitted, but some only submit confirmed cases (about half only submit confirmed cases), so actual case numbers are likely undercounted in many states. Also, for the CDC, "Probable cases are those in which a patient either meets “clinical criteria” and ”epidemiological evidence” for an infection but wasn’t tested for COVID-19, meets one of those criterion along with “presumptive laboratory evidence” or meets “vital records criteria” without being tested, according to the CDC."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/about-us-cases-deaths.html

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article243398146.html

And we're fighting the battle w/the more transmissible variants vs. the vaccines, so I'd expect to stay at the current plateau or go up a bit until late March, when I think we'll have enough vaccinated (30-40% with at least 1 dose), plus infected/recovered/mostly immune (30-35% now) to really start to drive cases down.
That’s fine but for some reason comparing to other states we are lacking something and it’s not just the weather and people not listening. It’s more like NY and NJ mirrored each other early on. Got many accolades from the press but still the NJ plan was definitely filled with holes.

Rutgers Creates Rapid Test for Coronavirus Variants

Thought this was pretty cool and another nice feather in RU's cap, as RU has developed a simple 1-hour test to screen COVID swab samples for all three of the main variants of concern (UK, South Africa, and Brazil) improving upon the 3-5 day current test - and RU is not patenting it, so it will become available to all.

https://www.rutgers.edu/news/rutgers-develops-rapid-test-detect-new-emerging-coronavirus-variants?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=rutgerstoday&utm_content=COVID-19 Research & Innovation

Rutgers researchers have designed a new rapid test that can detect all three of the rapidly spreading variants of the coronavirus in a little over one hour – much shorter than the three to five days required by current tests, which can also be more technically difficult and expensive to perform.

Details and information on easily creating and running the rapid test – which is not being patented by Rutgers because researchers believe it should be widely available to the public – are published on the pre-print online server MedRxiv and available at no charge.

The Rutgers researchers designed and clinically validated the test, which is the first to use “sloppy molecular beacon probes,” which are highly sensitive and specific DNA sequences used to detect frequent mutations in organisms.

“This rapid test was developed and tested over a few weeks in a crash program to respond to a serious public health need,” said David Alland, director of the Rutgers New Jersey Medical School (NJMS) Public Health Research Institute and professor and chief of infectious disease at NJMS. “Despite our hurry to get the test completed, it performed extremely well with clinical samples in our initial studies. We are very pleased with these results and we hope that this test will help in the control of the rapidly evolving COVID-19 pandemic.”
Rutgers Creates Rapid Test for Coronavirus Variants

Already posted three days ago. Childish? Yes, but how could I not?

C'mon, that site and article are complete crap and you know it. At least try to post credible news/info.

• Overall, we rate Summit News Questionable based on Extreme Right-wing bias, promotion of conspiracies, misleading and unproven stories, and a complete lack of transparency.
Reasoning: Extreme Right, Conspiracies, Misleading/Unproven Information, Lack of Transparency
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180

History

Launched in March 2019, Summit News is a far-right conspiracy website. Like most questionable sources this website does not have an about page nor disclosure of ownership. The primary writer appears to be Paul Joseph Watson, who is a former editor for the conspiracy website Infowars. Although not disclosed, Paul Joseph Watson appears to be the owner and editor of this website. Further, Summit News has been banned on Facebook.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/summit-news/

Reactions: Greg2020 and RU23
For a long time? Maybe a few months at best. It's been a year of pandemic. Find me an article to support that tests are required to list someone as Covid especially in LTC facilities.

Are there articles which state covid tests are not done in LTCs and anyone with a runny nose is considered to be covid positive?

Some quick answers that popped into my head.

#1 High population density.
#2 Workers returning to places of business in dense areas.
#3 People who think they are too special to wear mask in said dense populations.

Are there articles which state covid tests are not done in LTCs and anyone with a runny nose is considered to be covid positive?

#3 People who think they are too special to wear mask in said dense populations.

Your head is wrong again, especially with #3

Yup, we should just ignore telling people they are obese and call it healthy because it may hurt their feelings. What a joke

wmwh4zwem8m61.png

Yup, we should just ignore telling people they are obese and call it healthy because it may hurt their feelings. What a joke

wmwh4zwem8m61.png
72% of Americans are overweight or obese btw, so 78% of Covid hospitalizations isn’t surprising.

25% adults in the country have received their first dose. Nice milestone.

Also, NJ is doing well in administering vaccines. The only states in front of us are ones with a small population. I think the strategy of opening it up to most adults is paying off.

25% adults in the country have received their first dose. Nice milestone.

Also, NJ is doing well in administering vaccines. The only states in front of us are ones with a small population. I think the strategy of opening it up to most adults is paying off.
Agreed. I think we're going to be able to just stay ahead of the UK variant, preventing another big spike, like they're seeing in much of Europe, as they have far less vaccinations in most EU countries.

No the density factor is not the issue over the past 2 months. Early on yes but that’s total nonsense . We had density at the Jersey Shore, density at protests and yet there was a decline up until the holidays. Now indoor gatherings of more than 6-7 people outside of the bubble and those inside a restaurant’s heated tents was a no , no. Can specifically point to several venues near us in Middlesex County where outbreaks occurred . Then the holidays came and you can guarantee most did not follow protocols. Now it’s the variants are making it tougher . No the entire plan or no plan lies at the feet of the Governor’s office. 925 k fully vaccinated as of today . About 2 mil with one dose. That is why we still lead in number of deaths per million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT