ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NEW EVERYTHING / ANYTHING COVID-19 THREAD PART II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know ---because in the circle of people that I know who jumped the line, they either admitted directly that they did not answer honestly, or in others when I challenged them how they qualified , it was an "honest mistake" that they thought their condition was part of those covered. Yeah... honest !! And just today, since I wrote my earlier post I found out my sister who is in her early 50's just made an appointment. When I ask her how she qualified, knowing she is fit and in great health... she babbled about how most people are signing up now anyway. So among my small circle of contact I know more than a handful confirmed to have "cut the line". You dont think that is repeating itself rampantly throughout the state.?
You are hanging with people that have low morals and ethical standards. I can see if you know one or two but it sounds like quite a few.

Reactions: Greg2020 and fsg2
One thing that strikes me as odd is the constant comparisons between the flu vaccine schedule and a potential COVID vaccine schedule. SARS-CoV-2 is NOT the flu. How many times do we have to go over this. It's not the flu in it's health impact and it's not the flu in its biological structure.

It's disappointing to see individuals in academia attempting to compare the two. The flu goes through a completely different antigenic drift every season that is not comparable to the coronavirus whatsoever. That's not to say that SARS-Cov-2 won't continue to mutate into different strains through its own antigenic drift process nor that you won't need a booster at some point in the future, but to say that you'll need a COVID booster every year "because that's what you need for the flu" makes no sense.

I lost my uncle to COVID overnight. Vibrant, otherwise healthy 72-year-old. Was infected about 4 weeks ago and checked into Orlando's Florida Hospital about a week later. Just experienced a slow and steady decline. I've lost a number of associates and acquaintances, but this is the first family member I've lost.

The story is textbook. My uncle lost his wife to metastatic breast cancer a few years back and his son invited him to live with his family. Although he was healthy as a horse, he was a Vietnam-era amputee and my cousin didn't like the idea of his father living on his own. When COVID hit the northeast, like many Florida communities, theirs pooh-pooh'd the 'little flu' and carried on, business as usual. My cousin is also my business partner and I urged them daily to take precautions and mask up. When cases piled up throughout the state, he finally relented, but he tearfully confessed to me that when cases started dropping, he and his workers largely stopped masking. Sure enough, he became infected and brought it home. And now his father is dead. I'm still in shock. I managed to say goodbye to my uncle two weeks ago via Facetime.

Say what you will about the less than 1% death rate. When one of over half a million is someone close to you, the survival percentages are meaningless.
Condolences to you and your family.

Reactions: RUSK97 and Greg2020
I lost my uncle to COVID overnight. Vibrant, otherwise healthy 72-year-old. Was infected about 4 weeks ago and checked into Orlando's Florida Hospital about a week later. Just experienced a slow and steady decline. I've lost a number of associates and acquaintances, but this is the first family member I've lost.

The story is textbook. My uncle lost his wife to metastatic breast cancer a few years back and his son invited him to live with his family. Although he was healthy as a horse, he was a Vietnam-era amputee and my cousin didn't like the idea of his father living on his own. When COVID hit the northeast, like many Florida communities, theirs pooh-pooh'd the 'little flu' and carried on, business as usual. My cousin is also my business partner and I urged them daily to take precautions and mask up. When cases piled up throughout the state, he finally relented, but he tearfully confessed to me that when cases started dropping, he and his workers largely stopped masking. Sure enough, he became infected and brought it home. And now his father is dead. I'm still in shock. I managed to say goodbye to my uncle two weeks ago via Facetime.

Say what you will about the less than 1% death rate. When one of over half a million is someone close to you, the survival percentages are meaningless.
Sorry for your loss.

I know ---because in the circle of people that I know who jumped the line, they either admitted directly that they did not answer honestly, or in others when I challenged them how they qualified , it was an "honest mistake" that they thought their condition was part of those covered. Yeah... honest !! And just today, since I wrote my earlier post I found out my sister who is in her early 50's just made an appointment. When I ask her how she qualified, knowing she is fit and in great health... she babbled about how most people are signing up now anyway. So among my small circle of contact I know more than a handful confirmed to have "cut the line". You dont think that is repeating itself rampantly throughout the state.?

In my circle I don't know anyone that cut the line

You might want to consider lowering your expectations. Among people polled in my age cohort (18-44), the perceived great of covid
The perceived great of Covid? Are you saying those that say they won’t get vaccinated? If that is what you mean’t watch when it becomes mandatory to travel interstate. 😜

What is the latest on obese and weight gain during covid19. A report is out saying 40% of US population gained 30 lbs. in year 1 of the pandemic. While in the same article claims drinking was waaaay up amongst the population.

Well hell yesterday someone on here said 45 Covid deaths doesn’t seem unreasonable since March is respiratory month.
That was me. You do know that a reasonable rate of mortality and tragic stories of life lost can coexist in the same reality, right?

That was me. You do know that a reasonable rate of mortality and tragic stories of life lost can coexist in the same reality, right?
Fact: If the state claims 45-46 deaths and today 30 one would rationalize these are covid19. They are not listed as March upper respiratory deaths though maybe some are. The state will have it’s loyal PM fans. He still has not done the type of job some want to believe. I lost all faith when he cleared smokers and obese to move up before a number of other well deserving groups. This get out of jail free card is exactly a way to cover any issues down the road.

Very sorry for your loss.

One thing that strikes me as odd is the constant comparisons between the flu vaccine schedule and a potential COVID vaccine schedule. SARS-CoV-2 is NOT the flu. How many times do we have to go over this. It's not the flu in it's health impact and it's not the flu in its biological structure.

It's disappointing to see individuals in academia attempting to compare the two. The flu goes through a completely different antigenic drift every season that is not comparable to the coronavirus whatsoever. That's not to say that SARS-Cov-2 won't continue to mutate into different strains through its own antigenic drift process nor that you won't need a booster at some point in the future, but to say that you'll need a COVID booster every year "because that's what you need for the flu" makes no sense.
Yup, no sense, more like every 3 months, 😁

The governors strategy is paying off. He’s getting shots into arms and the stats prove it. So what if some people slip through the cracks? Other states have doses laying around because they are holding the line too tight.
Yep, tied for 9th in the US in % of people having received at least one dose (23%), which is great. If a few have gamed the system, whatever, they'll have to live with themselves, but the key is getting shots in arms as fast as possible. We also have one of the highest utilization rates, too, likely meaning we're wasting less doses. It'll all be moot soon, though, as we're not far from having open season on vaccines, given increasing supplies and continuing improvements in vaccination rates. We're up to 2.3MM/day and I think we'll hit my prediction of 3MM a day by the end of March.

Very sad, RUSK97, sorry to hear of your loss.

Sorry for your loss and the risk of being responsible for sickening and/or killing loved ones or even just fellow citizens is why I've never understood the reluctance of so many to practice masking or distancing (or getting vaccinated).

Sorry for your loss and the risk of being responsible for sickening and/or killing loved ones or even just fellow citizens is why I've never understood the reluctance of so many to practice masking or distancing (or getting vaccinated).
There are almost no scenarios that you are envisioning that aren't somewhat voluntary. How can you not understand people taking risks for the reward of socializing with their loved ones?

Reactions: bac2therac
There are almost no scenarios that you are envisioning that aren't somewhat voluntary. How can you not understand people taking risks for the reward of socializing with their loved ones?
My issue in this case isn't having family members living together, it's the "host" family member ignoring masking/distancing at work, because of perceived inconvenience or simply not believing that COVID was that dangerous, leading to infection and death of the at-home family member. Fundamentally, that's incredibly selfish and uncaring behavior IMO.

Here's a likely peek at our future once we start catching up to Israel in vaccinations (we're 2nd in the world, but they're way ahead with over 40% now fully vaccinated). Israel has launched its "green pass" program opening up restaurants, gyms , concerts and other businesses/events to people who are fully vaccinated and to recovered COVID patients.

https://www.france24.com/en/middle-...bars-to-customers-vaccinated-against-covid-19
Excellent article in the Economist on vaccine passports, including a very comprehensive discussion of the pros and cons. I'm "pro" passports, especially as I think they'll encourage higher vaccination rates, which are critical to truly beating this pandemic, but I recognize it's not a slam dunk and there are many challenges to doing this well.

https://www.economist.com/science-a...2&utm_content=article-link-1&etear=nl_today_1

Reactions: Greg2020
Excellent article in the Economist on vaccine passports, including a very comprehensive discussion of the pros and cons. I'm "pro" passports, especially as I think they'll encourage higher vaccination rates, which are critical to truly beating this pandemic, but I recognize it's not a slam dunk and there are many challenges to doing this well.

https://www.economist.com/science-a...2&utm_content=article-link-1&etear=nl_today_1
A Green Pass done well in the US is a non starter. We did not handle attacking Covid as a country but let states make their own rules and you can't stuff that genie back in the bottle. And States making their own passports would be a nightmare for many reasons. Fraud will a big part of it, look at people cutting in line for a vaccine in NJ. Than the bigger issues are, will states try to make money off it, charging a fee like a drivers license? Will it be used for other things heath related in the future? Flu shot, Hep C etc. A slippery slope to avoid. You will never get all 50 states on board so don't even try. Just throw this idea on the long pile of things we should have done from the start.

How many times have we heard, we took all precautions but still got it.
Too many. Unfortunately, most likely what really happened though is that they didn't really take all the precautions as they said they did and still got it. It is the lack of full compliance that is the problem. 'Sort of' complying is not nearly the same thing as complying

My issue in this case isn't having family members living together, it's the "host" family member ignoring masking/distancing at work, because of perceived inconvenience or simply not believing that COVID was that dangerous, leading to infection and death of the at-home family member. Fundamentally, that's incredibly selfish and uncaring behavior IMO.

And equally selfish and uncaring are those people who are knowingly cutting the vaccine appointment line with "alleged" eligibility, while those at much higher risk were, and are still struggling to find appointments. My elderly parents were finally able to secure appointment's in the past few days , however they know of a number of people in similar situations still unable to get appointments and are waiting for the return emails from the organizations they have registered with.

And equally selfish and uncaring are those people who are knowingly cutting the vaccine appointment line with "alleged" eligibility, while those at much higher risk were, and are still struggling to find appointments. My elderly parents were finally able to secure appointment's in the past few days , however they know of a number of people in similar situations still unable to get appointments and are waiting for the return emails from the organizations they have registered with.

Probably the same selfish people that hoarded food, paper towels, soap and other groceries around a year ago.

You do realize there are ramifications with adherence to a policy such as vaccination passports. Though I believe in vaccines and vaccinations there comes a point where individual choice is what the country was founded upon. In past recent history a similar type model was used to track and categorize families and groups. I’m all for safety and protections but I guess I’m still of the belief that unless you are a criminal having someone say” let me see your papers” is something I believe we should steer free from. I have my “ golden ticket” in my wallet. If I need to have it stamped for a vaccine shot it’s available but to travel within this country ? I’m totally opposed to that political intent. You can disagree but several hundred million would see the threat. Here’s the rub... we have millions who are here because of an inept border system and governmental regulation. With no passports ... no traceable papers yet legal born or naturalized citizens should carry a vaccine passport? Sorry much I agree with you on what has gone on. Can’t on this topic.

They need to be more proactive. Some great Twitter and FB sites people have noted here will help them get an appointment. don’t wait for an email.

You do realize there are ramifications with adherence to a policy such as vaccination passports. Though I believe in vaccines and vaccinations there comes a point where individual choice is what the country was founded upon. In past recent history a similar type model was used to track and categorize families and groups. I’m all for safety and protections but I guess I’m still of the belief that unless you are a criminal having someone say” let me see your papers” is something I believe we should steer free from. I have my “ golden ticket” in my wallet. If I need to have it stamped for a vaccine shot it’s available but to travel within this country ? I’m totally opposed to that political intent. You can disagree but several hundred million would see the threat. Here’s the rub... we have millions who are here because of an inept border system and governmental regulation. With no passports ... no traceable papers yet legal born or naturalized citizens should carry a vaccine passport? Sorry much I agree with you on what has gone on. Can’t on this topic.

Individual choice for some people.

There has never been a time that every person had their individual choice universally honored

They need to be more proactive. Some great Twitter and FB sites people have noted here will help them get an appointment. don’t wait for an email.

My parents are certainly not in any position to be proactive and help those friends of theirs navigate twitter and facebook to get appointments. They needed help from myself and my siblings in getting theirs. Maybe those faux-eligible people who selfishly spent their time refreshing screens on CVS or whatever they did to get appointments, could have better spent their time searching how to volunteer to help seniors and others how to secure their appointments.

I agree cutting the line is actually more than selfish. However , there are several very prominent posters here who categorically believe that it ok. It is NOT ok... especially after reading about those who weren’t able to get the vaccine early who died even though these people were qualified before the cheats.

Yeah there are many sites that are 75+ and 65+ only. Those are not difficult to get an appointment with. I think some people 65+ expect an appointment to drop in their lap. Those are the minority at this point as the majority of 65+ have received their first shot.

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
Individual choice for some people.
There has never been a time that every person had their individual choice universally honored
We at least in this country have done pretty well with that. Have you personally in your lifetime “ here” had your choice denied other than on a job or school application ? I never have and I prefer to not see that happen to my ancestors ( kids ,grandchildren) . Now if you are talking other countries you are correct. Let’s not allow us to become those types of societies.

Reactions: RUJohnny
Yeah there are many sites that are 75+ and 65+ only. Those are not difficult to get an appointment with. I think some people 65+ expect an appointment to drop in their lap. Those are the minority at this point as the majority of 65+ have received their first shot.
You sound like someone who feels there is no good reason for a 65+ 75+ person to be confused? Most in my age group navigate quite well and have for all intensive purposes. However for some it is a much more confusing issue based upon the direction our Federal and State leadership has displayed.

You sound like someone who feels there is no good reason for a 65+ 75+ person to be confused? Most in my age group navigate quite well and have for all intensive purposes. However for some it is a much more confusing issue based upon the direction our Federal and State leadership has displayed.

Nobody said it wasn’t confusing, but ask for help if you don’t want to figure it out.

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson

Your anecdotal and personal experience isn’t reflected in the nationwide data, though. About 19% of the population has received at least one shot at this point, and the percent of Americans over age 65 is about 16.5% of the population. As the graphs in the attached shows, the share of vaccine by age group skews very heavily towards older Americans. This isn’t to say some people aren’t jumping the line. You’ll always have such an issue where the personal benefit is high and the cost of being caught is very low. However, the data shows that isn’t a widespread or rampant issue.

The now excuse of “ well everyone can get the vaccine now so it’s no big deal. “ The same people who lectured everyone else on not being selfish several months ago.

We at least in this country have done pretty well with that. Have you personally in your lifetime “ here” had your choice denied other than on a job or school application ? I never have and I prefer to not see that happen to my ancestors ( kids ,grandchildren) . Now if you are talking other countries you are correct. Let’s not allow us to become those types of societies.

Well I am of the favored race and sex so no but I recognize my life experience has not been universal

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT