ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020 season

custers-last-stand-is-at-it

Yes, tonight is the last stand, as opposed to last night's last stand. Maybe we'll be so fortunate as to have another last stand tomorrow night.

Tonight's lineup against Mad Max. Considering no Conforto, it isn't half bad.

Nimmo CF
McNeil RF
Davis DH
Smith LF
Cano 2B
Alonso 1B
Gimenez SS
Guillorme 3B
Ramos C
-----------------
Porcello P

Clearly Cohen/Alderson have a different selection process than the Wilpons. Do not expect an extensive search with consultants and multiple rounds of interviews. That's not Cohen's way. Cohen and Alderson (or maybe just Alderson, with Cohen rubber stamping) will decide who they want. And then they will go get him.

Reactions: cicero grimes
custers-last-stand-is-at-it

Yes, tonight is the last stand, as opposed to last night's last stand. Maybe we'll be so fortunate as to have another last stand tomorrow night.

Tonight's lineup against Mad Max. Considering no Conforto, it isn't half bad.

Nimmo CF
McNeil RF
Davis DH
Smith LF
Cano 2B
Alonso 1B
Gimenez SS
Guillorme 3B
Ramos C
-----------------
Porcello P
Give us another day...

Amazing(pun intended) we have our big star out of the lineup and it is still does not have an automatic out in it and is better than any lineup we have had in 20 years. lol

Give us another day...

Amazing(pun intended) we have our big star out of the lineup and it is still does not have an automatic out in it and is better than any lineup we have had in 20 years. lol
Dammit, just realized...that is because we have sucked so much. lol

Question for the 3 Amigos...This new playoff format still has me a bit confused...at this point under last year's format, would the Yanks be in the 1 game playoff or on the outside by a game at this point?

Question for the 3 Amigos...This new playoff format still has me a bit confused...at this point under last year's format, would the Yanks be in the 1 game playoff or on the outside by a game at this point?
The Yankees knew what they needed to do to get in this year and did it. They could have pushed guys back sooner if need be. Mets couldn’t do it.
Enjoy playoff baseball next week. It’s going to be great with 16 teams and games all day.

The Yankees knew what they needed to do to get in this year and did it. They could have pushed guys back sooner if need be. Mets couldn’t do it.
Enjoy playoff baseball next week. It’s going to be great with 16 teams and games all day.
Hmmm- first half of the season, Yankees sure thought they were running away with it...started to say, anything we can do to hand on with the losing streak last a couple of weeks ago, last week during the winning streak, no worries, making a strong playoff run and now, we knew what we had to do to just get in...

Actually, can't speak for the Yankees but their fans on this message board, that is what the year looked like. Could always tell when your team was sucking, you guys wouldnt post on here at those times.

Phillies lose, which helps. Going into tonight Mets needed nine things to happen (three Met wins, three Phillie losses, three Marlin losses). Now they only need eight things to happen.

Marlins and Yankees going into extras. Is it possible to root for the Yankees and still retain one's dignity?

Phillies lose, which helps. Going into tonight Mets needed nine things to happen (three Met wins, three Phillie losses, three Marlin losses). Now they only need eight things to happen.

Marlins and Yankees going into extras. Is it possible to root for the Yankees and still retain one's dignity?
You put your trust in the Yankees, you get what you deserve. Marlins win in 10 to clinch a playoff berth and pretty much close out the Mets. Not sure if it's mathematically over, but it's close

Seeds 5 -8 Available (7 Teams):
Cards. 28-26. Four games with Brewers
Reds. 29-28. Three games with Minnesota.
Marlins. 29-28. Three games with Yankmees.
Giants lose. 28-28. Four games with the Padres.
Phillies. 28-29. Three games with Tampa Bay.
Brewers. 27-29. Four games with Cards.
Mets. 26-31. Three games with Washington

The first tiebreaker is head-to-head record (if applicable), and the next is intradivisional record. If the teams are still tied, the next tiebreaker is the teams’ record in their final 20 division games (plus one until the tie is broken).

Improbable, but possible scenario:
Mets need to win all three, ending 29-31. Porcello pitches tonight. Then deGrom, Lugo.
Cards win out, or go 3-1 against Brewers. Mets pass Brewers, Brewers end 27 or 28 wins.
Phillies must lose all three to Tampa Bay. Can't rely on tie and head to head record against Phils.
Giants lost all four to Padres, end up 28-32.

If there is a tie (excluding Phillies), Mets are in if:
Mets intradivisional record is 17-20; win all three, intradivisional record ends at 20-20.
Brewers intradivisional record is 17-19. If Brewers win two, Mets still pass Brewers.
Giants intradivisional record is 17-19. If Giants lose two, Mets pass Brewers.
Phillies still need to lose all three.

Probably screwed something up in that analysis- check my work, but:
tenor.gif
Just bumping this post.

You put your trust in the Yankees, you get what you deserve. Marlins win in 10 to clinch a playoff berth and pretty much close out the Mets. Not sure if it's mathematically over, but it's close
I did not have the Marlins losing all three as part of my analysis. That only would have helped if the Mets were to take 2nd place in the NL East, correct? My scenarios above still are valid? Padres currently up on Giants. Brewers won.

The baseball gods have a brutal sense of humor.

Giants have just taken a 5-3 lead in the sixth (of a seven inning game), on a three run homer by... wait for it... Wilmer Flores.

If this result holds, Mets are out.

Reactions: cicero grimes
ALIVE! (I think.) Padres get a walk off 3 run HR, Giants lose. Mets still have a path.

Mets must win last three.
Phillies must lose last two.
Giants must lose last two.
Brewers must lose at least one of last two.

ESPN has it as a 0.6% chance.

deGrom 102mph fastball to Soto
Gimenez hurt swinging bat, Rosario comes in with 1-2 count and watches a fastball right down the middle.

Put castro in in the 6th, just brilliant Luis. I knew they would lose. And Davis had a bad year.

Would have taken my chances with Wilson, Castro walks too many leadoff guys. Even Cohen questioned putting him in, so not just me. Brach pitched like 13 innings and had like 9 walks.

With the playoff now officially done, can the Mets give Ramos the perp walk? Now I'm going to pick at Ramos for the hell of it. On the play Dom got hurt, I thought the pitch called by Ramos made it possible. The hitter is down 1-2 in the count and he can't hit the slide down and in if his life depended on it. Instead of calling it again, Ramos calls for a fastball away. It's not the first time Ramos has made a bad call. If they can't hit it, stay with it.

Alright, I'm done.

Reactions: shields

Good luck with Cohen! Let's see if the Yanks can turn it around and win their 27.33th championship.

With the playoff now officially done, can the Mets give Ramos the perp walk? Now I'm going to pick at Ramos for the hell of it. On the play Dom got hurt, I thought the pitch called by Ramos made it possible. The hitter is down 1-2 in the count and he can't hit the slide down and in if his life depended on it. Instead of calling it again, Ramos calls for a fastball away. It's not the first time Ramos has made a bad call. If they can't hit it, stay with it.

Alright, I'm done.
That's a big strech, IMO. But I have no problems dealing Ramos. No bonus points for the HR, though?

Good. I don't follow player contracts. I try to pay attention to what posters say here. Too much to keep track of. This team was not ready for the playoffs anyway.
Contracts, you say? Below I have pasted an analysis I posted earlier this week.

While it would be bad form to establish a next season thread while it's still this season, it's probably time to at least transition. To that end, I offer the following analysis of the Mets current 47 man roster (their actual 40 man, plus 7 on long term IL or COVID).

1) PLAYERS UNDER CONTRACT - 3

Cano
deGrom
Familia

COMMENT - Yep, only three players under contract - but those three take up a good chunk of payroll. Keep in mind that deGrom has an opt-out after 2022. That's two years. I wonder if Cohen will try to make it go away. Everybody's got a price for the 15 billion dollar man.

2) FREE AGENTS - 16

Betances (player option for $6M, with $3M buyout)
Brach (player option for $1.25M)
Cespedes
Chirinos (club option with $1M buyout)
Frazier (club option with $1.5M buyout)
Hughes
Lowrie
Marisnick
Nunez
Porcello
Ramirez
Ramos (club option with $1.5M buyout)
Rivera
Stroman
Wacha
Wilson

COMMENT - First question: does Stroman get a qualifying offer? My guess is yes, and he may just take it. He of course is the only one on this list for whom that is even a consideration.

They may try to re-sign Marisnick and maybe a couple of pitchers, although I don't know who. Betances and Brach have player options so we may see them again. But most of the players on this list will surely be gone.

3) ARBITRATION ELIGIBLE - 11

Castro
Conforto
Diaz
Gsellman
Heredia
Lugo
Matz
Nimmo
Rosario
Shreve
Syndergaard

COMMENT: The major question seems to be can we extend Conforto. But there are other questions. Most notably - do you tender Syndergaard, or cut him loose? He is a free agent in 2022, and there's no guarantee he'll be healthy enough to play in 2021. I guess you have to tender him. There are a few other non-tender candidates on this list as well.

4) WELL-PAID SLAVES (Curt Flood Terminology) - 17

Alonso
Davis
Gimenez
Guillorme
Jurado
Kilome
Mazeika
McNeil
Nido
Oswalt
Peterson
Sanchez
Sewald
Smith, Dom
Smith, Drew
Szapucki
Zamora

COMMENT - Mets do have a pretty good core of position players who are not yet arb eligible, and are thus controllable for a few years. Pitchers, not so much. Some of these guys may have already had their 15 minutes.

Thanks for staying with this - comments appreciated!

Finally it's over. Let's move on to hoping that MLB don't screw the Mets in the Cohen vote.

Put castro in in the 6th, just brilliant Luis. I knew they would lose. And Davis had a bad year.

small sample size and he’s a rookie major league coach, but Rojas has shown nothing to indicate he’s even an average manager. Probably an uptick from Callaway who was their worst manager since Howe, but still disappointing.

Reactions: RURM85 and Greg2020
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT