ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020 season

With the playoff now officially done, can the Mets give Ramos the perp walk? Now I'm going to pick at Ramos for the hell of it. On the play Dom got hurt, I thought the pitch called by Ramos made it possible. The hitter is down 1-2 in the count and he can't hit the slide down and in if his life depended on it. Instead of calling it again, Ramos calls for a fastball away. It's not the first time Ramos has made a bad call. If they can't hit it, stay with it.

Alright, I'm done.
Degrom could have shaken him off.

Reactions: RUforJERSEY
The 3 Amigos are acting like the season is over for us, there's still Plenty to root for!:CHOP:Oh, and by the way, coming to this thread when you guys went 4 weeks without a single word about your team is comical. Entitled, front running, pop up fans.

Reactions: tico brown
At least if they do this season they won't have the embarrassment of losing to the other New York team like the Amazins did in 2000.
Just get yourselves there again and we wont have to keep telling you that you were not the last NY team to even make it that far in a season. Hate to have to say the Yankees are on their 2nd decade without a WS appearance...

You do understand that much like the Ash lead Rutgers teams- talking shit about the Met's right now doesn't really do anything. We already know our ownership has been a joke for a very long time and our GM is very much an Ash equal. The good news for us though is that we actually have a pretty good stable of players to build upon over the next few years when we are rid of these jokers.

Not for nothing but so glad to see Alonso get 15...even with his shitty awful year, it would equate to 40HR...

Reactions: Greg2020
Can we finally trade Matz for a colony of ants and a two day sickness of the Bubble Guts?

Can we finally trade Matz for a colony of ants and a two day sickness of the Bubble Guts?
I know what a colony of ants is, so there's that.

The question is whether the Mets will offer him arbitration or just cut him loose.

EDIT: I would add that today Matz pitched three innings, gave up three earned runs, and his ERA went down. So what more do you want?

Last edited:
Did BVW really think his moves off season added depth to the pitching staff? He took a strength and made it a weakness. Those moves took a team in position to contend for a playoff spot and turned them into a last place team. Third worse record in the Natinal League.

Seeds 5 -8 Available (7 Teams):
Cards. 28-26. Four games with Brewers
Reds. 29-28. Three games with Minnesota.
Marlins. 29-28. Three games with Yankmees.
Giants lose. 28-28. Four games with the Padres.
Phillies. 28-29. Three games with Tampa Bay.
Brewers. 27-29. Four games with Cards.
Mets. 26-31. Three games with Washington

The first tiebreaker is head-to-head record (if applicable), and the next is intradivisional record. If the teams are still tied, the next tiebreaker is the teams’ record in their final 20 division games (plus one until the tie is broken).

Improbable, but possible scenario:
Mets need to win all three, ending 29-31. Porcello pitches tonight. Then deGrom, Lugo.
Cards win out, or go 3-1 against Brewers. Mets pass Brewers, Brewers end 27 or 28 wins.
Phillies must lose all three to Tampa Bay. Can't rely on tie and head to head record against Phils.
Giants lost all four to Padres, end up 28-32.

If there is a tie (excluding Phillies), Mets are in if:
Mets intradivisional record is 17-20; win all three, intradivisional record ends at 20-20.
Brewers intradivisional record is 17-19. If Brewers win two, Mets still pass Brewers.
Giants intradivisional record is 17-19. If Giants lose two, Mets pass Brewers.
Phillies still need to lose all three.

Probably screwed something up in that analysis- check my work, but:
tenor.gif
Correct me if I am wrong, but my scenario above played out except the Mets losing the last 3? Had they won, Mets would have been in?

Correct me if I am wrong, but my scenario above played out except the Mets losing the last 3? Had they won, Mets would have been in?
You are correct. Going into Saturday, Mets needed eight things to happen. They needed to win three, and they needed three other team's to lose five. The latter happened. The former did not.

😭😤😠😡🤬🤯😳😨😰🥵🥺😥😪🤢🤮👿👹💩
Well that's quite a range of emotions.

Still, Mets needed a three game sweep. That's a big ask. I know it can be done (Washington did it) but it's still a big ask.

My point is the Mets did not miss the playoffs in the last 3 games. They missed it in first 57.

You are correct. Going into Saturday, Mets needed eight things to happen. They needed to win three, and they needed three other team's to lose five. The latter happened. The former did not.
At least they didn’t tease us and won exactly zero of the three games needed...lol

I know what a colony of ants is, so there's that.

The question is whether the Mets will offer him arbitration or just cut him loose.

EDIT: I would add that today Matz pitched three innings, gave up three earned runs, and his ERA went down. So what more do you want?
That was a serious question? He gave up a grand slam and another homer. He made plenty of money in 5 years while giving up 4, 5, 6 runs an inning almost every start. Enough excuses.

I dont know what to make of Lugo as a starter. Cant say if he can be counted on as a solid #3 starter or not. Horrible 2 starts ago then very good in the next and then horrible again today.

Reactions: shields
Harvey, Matz, DeGrom, Syndergaard & Wheeler:
The dream rotation bringing multiple championships to NY
Didn't quite work out.
They did get the team to a WS in 2015 and playoffs in 2016. The rest falls on management for failure to surround them with additional talent. Management was more concerned with how to save a dollar while getting lucky ever once in a lifetime. Being cheap will do that to an organization.

They did get the team to a WS in 2015 and playoffs in 2016. The rest falls on management for failure to surround them with additional talent. Management was more concerned with how to save a dollar while getting lucky ever once in a lifetime. Being cheap will do that to an organization.
2015 was lighting in a bottle with Cespedes and Murphy. Management decided to dump the latter and the former became fat, lazy, and had his career ended via a wild boar attack

Reactions: BigEastPhil
Didn't quite work out.
You never really see a pitching staff stay together for too long anymore as if they are good, they are the most expensive and dangerous contracts to carry. That said...Harvey/Matz shit the bed. deGrom is one of the best pitchers in a generation, Noah, jury is out but most of his years have been good. Wheeler, dammit, we should have signed him. If we did and Peterson's rookie season, we would have still had a hell of a group together.

As for this season, the single player I have come away from as saying I would never have a good thing to say about him again is Stroman. His walk away because of COVID just never felt "real"...other guys around the league, you could tell their concern was legit and they did it the right way. This guy just shit on his entire team and it seemed he just didn't wat to be on the Met's and was pissed he wasnt a Yankee from day 1. He could have actually been the difference too.

Didn't quite work out.
I'm still waiting on the multiple championships in a 5 year period from the New Core 4, that was predicted, starting in 2017 the year after 2016 when Mr. Softee came up for 82 AB's before his Rookie season to light up Yankee fans taste buds,lol. So far 0-3 going into this post season, and their 2nd decade of not making it to the WS.

Reactions: shields
I understand NASA is looking to put a man on Mars. Can we volunteer Matz for the job or is NASA afraid he will miss the start engines button and hit self destruct instead?

As for this season, the single player I have come away from as saying I would never have a good thing to say about him again is Stroman. His walk away because of COVID just never felt "real"...other guys around the league, you could tell their concern was legit and they did it the right way. This guy just shit on his entire team and it seemed he just didn't wat to be on the Met's and was pissed he wasnt a Yankee from day 1. He could have actually been the difference too.
I believe that's called "the Blackshear maneuver"

How were the Mets so bad this year, when so many of their players were really good? Why was the whole less than the sum of the parts? Numbers tell a story.

There are 30 MLB teams. Here is where the Mets ranked offensively:

FIRST in batting average (.272)
SECOND in on-base percentage (.348)
FOURTH in slugging percentage (.459)
THIRD in OPS (.807).

Pretty good, right? Should translate to lots of runs, right? Well...

THIRTEENTH in runs scored! (286. Average 4.77 runs per game. I know that sounds good, but it's a full run per game less than the Dodgers and Braves.)

How is this possible? Clutch hitting, or lack thereof.

Mets slash line with RISP was a mediocre .245/.328/.406, which is an OPS of .735. What's worse, with RISP and two outs it was .224/.310/.344 (OPS .654) which is downright ugly.

That is why the Mets potent lineup was not potent enough to overcome its subpar pitching and defense.

Reactions: Knight Shift
2015 was lighting in a bottle with Cespedes and Murphy. Management decided to dump the latter and the former became fat, lazy, and had his career ended via a wild boar attack
I don't know so much whether it was lightning in a bottle but letting Murph walk was such a Wilpon move and the Mets really missed his clutch bat. They did make the wild card game in 2016 however Bumgarner was too much.

Hopefully the days of mismanagement / cheapness from the Wilpons are history and they can fade away like dust in the wind......

How were the Mets so bad this year, when so many of their players were really good? Why was the whole less than the sum of the parts? Numbers tell a story.

There are 30 MLB teams. Here is where the Mets ranked offensively:

FIRST in batting average (.272)
SECOND in on-base percentage (.348)
FOURTH in slugging percentage (.459)
THIRD in OPS (.807).

Pretty good, right? Should translate to lots of runs, right? Well...

THIRTEENTH in runs scored! (286. Average 4.77 runs per game. I know that sounds good, but it's a full run per game less than the Dodgers and Braves.)

How is this possible? Clutch hitting, or lack thereof.

Mets slash line with RISP was a mediocre .245/.328/.406, which is an OPS of .735. What's worse, with RISP and two outs it was .224/.310/.344 (OPS .654) which is downright ugly.

That is why the Mets potent lineup was not potent enough to overcome its subpar pitching and defense.
That last few broadcasts of the season, Keef kept harping on how Chili Davis not being present at the games and with the Mets had a negative impact on at least JD Davis and maybe Alonso. Keef was saying JD missed talking with Chili right after at bats or after games. That kind of sucks for the young players, and was there an assistant batting coach there to fill this role, or was Chili Davis available via Zoom or Webex? Or did the Wilpons cheap out?

That last few broadcasts of the season, Keef kept harping on how Chili Davis not being present at the games and with the Mets had a negative impact on at least JD Davis and maybe Alonso. Keef was saying JD missed talking with Chili right after at bats or after games. That kind of sucks for the young players, and was there an assistant batting coach there to fill this role, or was Chili Davis available via Zoom or Webex? Or did the Wilpons cheap out?
no internet communication during the game, there was an assistant guy present

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT