ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020 season

You do not bench Conforto for a game or two especially in the 60 gamer. Ces and Cano are washed they need to be on the bench.

Reactions: tico brown
This all goes back to the man in charge. When you put together a team, you have to address specific issues. I feel the Mets leadership did a piss poor job. Right now, Cespedes isn't doing sh*t. Smith can't be any worse even if it's against lefties. Go with Davis and Smith sharing the DH and leftfield duties. Also, I think you underestimate Smith's ability to play another position. Give Conforto a day or two off and move Nimmo to rightfield and play Marisnick in centerfield. Even if the offense doesn't improve, at least you address the defense.
Literally nothing you are saying makes sense

The Mets are not letting me down, might as well keep winning two more in a row against the shattbag Red Sux
Today is a big game...We NEED deGrom to continue dominance. Would like to see some runs for him as well. Huge difference between 3-3 with your Ace being bested than 4-2 with a dominate Ace going for CY #3

Dude Conforto just hit over about 430 feet Monday night. They need that power threat from the left side.
Then struck out the next six AB. Dom hit his first HR too in only 4 AB. Conforto has 2 RBI in 16 AB while Dom has 4 RBI in 4 AB. I like Conforto, but right now, he's striking (7) out at an alarming rate along with Alonso (9) and Cespedes (8). Unlike a regular season, you can't let guys work through things because the season is too short. Each game is equal to almost three games.

In a 60 game season with a DH, nobody except the catcher gets a breather. If you're not playing, you're not being rested, you're being benched.
I don't think you can take this approach with the older players. At some point, some of them will need a breather. On the flip side, people on the bench do need at bats to stay game ready. You don't want someone sitting the bench doing zippo for 40 games and they be called upon only to be not ready.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Literally nothing you are saying makes sense
Kinda like your response.:Laughing
First, management never addressed the shortcoming of this team. It was always about saving a dollar. Do you think it makes sense to let Wheeler walk so you could save a dollar by signing Porcello? And management is still unsure about Stroman and that was before the injury. That's what I'm talking about in a poorly constructed team.
Second, in a short season like this one, you can't let a guy work through problems because it could put the team in a tough situation. Cespedes is striking out once every two AB and Conforto has struck out 6 straight AB. Add Cano and you have 1/3 of your lineup basically being an automatic out. Smith has shown enough last year to earn some split duties with Davis in leftfield and as the DH. That means Cespedes could sit especially since he's coming off ankle surgery and bruised heels from last year.

You don't manage this season like you would a regular season. This is a sprint. Prolonged slumps can't be allowed to fester.

Reactions: tico brown
First, management never addressed the shortcoming of this team. It was always about saving a dollar. Do you think it makes sense to let Wheeler walk so you could save a dollar by signing Porcello? And management is still unsure about Stroman and that was before the injury. That's what I'm talking about in a poorly constructed team.
Second, in a short season like this one, you can't let a guy work through problems because it could put the team in a tough situation. Cespedes is striking out once every two AB and Conforto has struck out 6 straight AB. Add Cano and you have 1/3 of your lineup basically being an automatic out. Smith has shown enough last year to earn some split duties with Davis in leftfield and as the DH. That means Cespedes could sit especially since he's coming off ankle surgery and bruised heels from last year.

You don't manage this season like you would a regular season. This is a sprint. Prolonged slumps can't be allowed to fester.
I don't think I would have given Wheeler the money he got from the Phillies thinking I had Noah and Stroman in the rotation. Without them, you match the Phillie offer. From what I have seen thus far, 1st 4 in rotation should be deGrome, Matz, Wacha and Anderson (acknowledging only 1 data point here). Bottom line Mets will need to score to stay in contentoion.

We old schoolers need to get K's out of our heads when judging a hitter. Conforto ended up with a hit, SB and run scored, Cano had 2 hits. Cesp- hate to say it but you do need to give him a few more games.

I don't think I would have given Wheeler the money he got from the Phillies thinking I had Noah and Stroman in the rotation. Without them, you match the Phillie offer. From what I have seen thus far, 1st 4 in rotation should be deGrome, Matz, Wacha and Anderson (acknowledging only 1 data point here). Bottom line Mets will need to score to stay in contentoion.
Would have loved to keep Wheeler but would have had to way over pay. As you said, if we still had Noah and Stroman, add in what Matz, Wacha, Peterson did...

The Mets could have had Wheeler for much less had they tried to sign him at the beginning of last season. He was open to it, but the Mets wanted to take a wait and see approach. This was even after he had a solid season the year before. The Mets management was confused. They knew there was a chance they could lose Wheeler, yet they offered up Noah in trade talks. Meanwhile, Matz and Stroman worried they could be next. The Mets didn't have a real plan other than to save more money.

I agree with you on the deGrom, Matz, Wacha, and Anderson.

Reactions: rubaseball78
We old schoolers need to get K's out of our heads when judging a hitter. Conforto ended up with a hit, SB and run scored, Cano had 2 hits. Cesp- hate to say it but you do need to give him a few more games.

Would have loved to keep Wheeler but would have had to way over pay. As you said, if we still had Noah and Stroman, add in what Matz, Wacha, Peterson did...
I hate strikeouts, and it does speak to what type of player you are. I haven't given up on Cespedes, but in a short season, you can't play around with prolonged slumps.

Wheeler was willing to sign at the beginning of last season for much less. It was Mets management who said let's wait.

I hate strikeouts, and it does speak to what type of player you are. I haven't given up on Cespedes, but in a short season, you can't play around with prolonged slumps.

Wheeler was willing to sign at the beginning of last season for much less. It was Mets management who said let's wait.
I hate the K's too but the game has changed, and I don't think for the better.

Met's like many other teams, roll the dice and it almost seems they hope a guy has a bad year so they can get them cheap. After deGrom signed for a discount, I would have locked Noah and Wheeler into "Nola" type contracts befor e last season started.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
The Mets could have had Wheeler for much less had they tried to sign him at the beginning of last season. He was open to it, but the Mets wanted to take a wait and see approach. This was even after he had a solid season the year before. The Mets management was confused. They knew there was a chance they could lose Wheeler, yet they offered up Noah in trade talks. Meanwhile, Matz and Stroman worried they could be next. The Mets didn't have a real plan other than to save more money.

I agree with you on the deGrom, Matz, Wacha, and Anderson.
I'm just wondering who Anderson is.

Conforto has a 217 wrc+ right now good for best on the team by far and 18th overall in MLB!! If you want to not use that which is the best hitting metric then using slash he's at .375/.474/.625! The Ks do not matter one bit.

I hate the K's too but the game has changed, and I don't think for the better.

Met's like many other teams, roll the dice and it almost seems they hope a guy has a bad year so they can get them cheap. After deGrom signed for a discount, I would have locked Noah and Wheeler into "Nola" type contracts befor e last season started.
Re Noah, aren't you glad you didn't? Extending pitchers long-term before you have to is rolling the dice. The decision not to extend Matt Harvey is looking pretty good right now.

Reactions: Plum Street
Conforto has a 217 wrc+ right now good for best on the team by far and 18th overall in MLB!! If you want to not use that which is the best hitting metric then using slash he's at .375/.474/.625! The Ks do not matter one bit.
And there lies the problem with baseball these days. It's like a QB wanting people to focus on the 30 TDs he threw and forget the 20 INTs as if the don't impact the game.

And there lies the problem with baseball these days. It's like a QB wanting people to focus on the 30 TDs he threw and forget the 20 INTs as if the don't impact the game.

No because the overall body of work is still excellent. The only time a K is worse than any other out is if you're trying to move a runner over which Conforto wouldn't really be doing anyway.

No because the overall body of work is still excellent. The only time a K is worse than any other out is if you're trying to move a runner over which Conforto wouldn't really be doing anyway.
This is actually where I disagree with the new analytics. An out isn't an out. When you swing and miss- unless 1B is open- it is 100% chance that it is an out. You make contact, there is a 25+% chance that ball is a hit.

This is actually where I disagree with the new analytics. An out isn't an out. When you swing and miss- unless 1B is open- it is 100% chance that it is an out. You make contact, there is a 25+% chance that ball is a hit.

In Conforto's case specifically it is tough for me to get on him for striking out more when he has been our best bat. If you want to view a K as a little worse than a ground or fly out because the ball is not in play then I totally understand.

In Conforto's case specifically it is tough for me to get on him for striking out more when he has been our best bat. If you want to view a K as a little worse than a ground or fly out because the ball is not in play then I totally understand.
Conforto needs to be in the lineup every day. He has been a good bat for us for a few years and is one of the faces of this team.
Alonso, deGrom, McNeil, Conforto

Facing the righty Eovaldi tonight. Here we go!

Nimmo CF
McNeil 3B
Alonso 1B
Conforto RF
Smith LF
Cespedes DH
Cano 2B
Gimenez SS
Rivera C
deGrom P

Smith and Gimenez getting their first starts in the field.

Yeah Conforto should have been locked up to a long term deal a long time ago.
Conforto is a Boras client. Boras is notorious for discouraging his clients from signing extensions. Boras believes that there is significant dollar value in attaining free agency. You want to lock up one of his clients early, you'd better be willing to overpay. Don't even think about a hometown discount.

Conforto still has another year after this one, so we'll see.

Reactions: shields
Conforto is a Boras client. Boras is notorious for discouraging his clients from signing extensions. Boras believes that there is significant dollar value in attaining free agency. You want to lock up one of his clients early, you'd better be willing to overpay. Don't even think about a hometown discount.

Conforto still has another year after this one, so we'll see.

Exactly Doctor Worm, Boras client.

Yes but we hardly ever lock up our own younger players. Wright and Reyes were the last basically.

Humphreys was a pretty big prospect, but then came TJ surgery and I guess he never came back to the club's satisfaction.

I feel like it's still a bit short sighted to drop him but we really don't have much to go on this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT