ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't need a splashy hire. Been there, done that. See BVW.

I will happily settle for quiet competence. Will Eppler bring that to the table? I guess we'll see.

I don't need flashy either. I usually don't like guys who failed previously though. Seems like they're putting all their eggs in the Stearns basket as he and Eppeler were very close friends.

Will be very very happy if he learned from his mistakes and does better here. Going to be a tough day one answering about Skaggs and Calloway.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
So the Mets hires a gm who was fired in last job for never having a winning season in a weak division with a big payroll in 5 years and whose only manager he hired was so bad he got fired as well
bahahahha

He was GM of Los Angeles for five years until being fired at the conclusion of the COVID-19-shortened 2020 season.

During his time in the role, Eppler signed Shohei Ohtani, negotiated Mike Trout's second extension, helped lure Anthony Rendon and executed major trades that landed Justin Uptonand Andrelton Simmons.

But the Angels suffered through losing seasons in all five years under Eppler, largely because of a deficient pitching staff. The only manager Eppler hand-selected, Brad Ausmus, was fired after the team lost 90 games in 2019, a year marked by the sudden death of Tyler Skaggs.

Despite the douchers of varsity chiming in, interesting perspective from LA Times near end of Eppler's tenure. Sounds like a difficult owner in Anaheim.

Syndergaard had talked about how badly he wanted the QO, and how grateful he'd be if he got it. He never said he'd sign it.

We part ways with a compensatory draft pick and his undying gratitude.

Reactions: rurichdog
I'm fine with it I have no idea what the Angels are thinking. Mets do need to step up and try to get one of the remaining big name SPs on the market now though.

Last edited:
Syndergaard had talked about how badly he wanted the QO, and how grateful he'd be if he got it. He never said he'd sign it.

We part ways with a compensatory draft pick and his undying gratitude.
Like the Mets will sign that pick like they did in 2021???

How any Mets fan can't look at the last 24 hours and be totally embarassed is beyond me. Just keeps hitting new lows

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Itā€™s incredible that someone topped the Mets offer. Thor annoyed me with his antics this past season but thereā€™s no question he was a dominant talent when he first came up. Iā€™ll miss the low to mid 3ā€™s ERA. We now need a #2.

Hope youā€™re right. Weā€™ll see.
The Mets declined to sign Rocker because they didn't like his medicals obtained after the draft. He had refused to be examined prior to the draft.

I admit it is not uncommon for bad medical results to be a deal-breaker. The Wilmer Flores trade is an example. So yeah, I guess it could possibly happen again, but it would be a long shot.

All teams knew there was SOMETHING wrong with Rocker. That's why he slipped. Mets gambled that it was not serious. After seeing the medical results, they changed their mind.

Reactions: cicero grimes
I'm fine with it I have no idea what the Angels are thinking. Mets do need to step up and try to get one of the remaining big name SPs on the market now though.
CBA expires in two weeks. When it does, MLB will likely place a formal moratorium on free agent signings. Negotiations probably won't heat up again until February.

SO... these next two weeks will be interesting. Conventional wisdom is that they will be quiet - that no owner is going to make major investments until the new rules are in place. This may create a quasi-exclusive bargaining window for somebody like Cohen... IF he's willing to go rogue.

How any Mets fan can't look at the last 24 hours and be totally embarassed is beyond me. Just keeps hitting new lows
haha we have seen worse. Getting the ex Angles GM wasn't the embarrassment, it was being turned down by so many before him. lol Reading a little more about this guy though, it seems that a few have the opinion he may be pretty good but has an owner that may have made our ownership look good. - doesn't matter much- as long as SA is there, it is his team to run.

As for Thor- Met's did all they could do and all they should do with him. The QO was the only way to go with Thor and I am surprised someone else gave him more. But, I do think he has a strong year. I really wanted him back for us.

Situations like this really make you miss Francesa. I wonder if there are any videos of him being critical of the Mets in the past?

CBA expires in two weeks. When it does, MLB will likely place a formal moratorium on free agent signings. Negotiations probably won't heat up again until February.

SO... these next two weeks will be interesting. Conventional wisdom is that they will be quiet - that no owner is going to make major investments until the new rules are in place. This may create a quasi-exclusive bargaining window for somebody like Cohen... IF he's willing to go rogue.

We already have money going to some of the SPs so we'll see. I think Gausman would be #1 on my list as of now. Rodriguez signed with the Tigers and Berrios was extended so market is getting set.

So the Mets hires a gm who was fired in last job for never having a winning season in a weak division with a big payroll in 5 years and whose only manager he hired was so bad he got fired as well
bahahahha

He was GM of Los Angeles for five years until being fired at the conclusion of the COVID-19-shortened 2020 season.

During his time in the role, Eppler signed Shohei Ohtani, negotiated Mike Trout's second extension, helped lure Anthony Rendon and executed major trades that landed Justin Uptonand Andrelton Simmons.

But the Angels suffered through losing seasons in all five years under Eppler, largely because of a deficient pitching staff. The only manager Eppler hand-selected, Brad Ausmus, was fired after the team lost 90 games in 2019, a year marked by the sudden death of Tyler Skaggs.
Glad you're happy with keeping the tandem that hasn't gotten you back to the WS in 12 years, lmfao

Are they still gonna call him Thor ?
One of the things that I'll now enjoywatching from afar is how Syndergaard will continue to handle his Thor label and the long hair while he's prematurely losing that hair. Something's gotta give soon.

Cohen is a clownā€¦as is Sandy. Never thought Iā€™d say this but they may have been better off with the Wilpons.

This should flush out the d-bag with another comment from The Dead Zone. šŸ˜‰ My new favorite player. Now I know his Kryptonite. He's so easy. I guess upper management didn't take his advice and kept the GM he loves{he trashed everyday} and the manager, lmfao. https://www.chron.com/sports/astros...rea-Yankees-Derek-Jeter-Glove-SS-16624758.php..
Yankees-Syringe.jpg

Last edited:
haha we have seen worse. Getting the ex Angles GM wasn't the embarrassment, it was being turned down by so many before him. lol Reading a little more about this guy though, it seems that a few have the opinion he may be pretty good but has an owner that may have made our ownership look good. - doesn't matter much- as long as SA is there, it is his team to run.

As for Thor- Met's did all they could do and all they should do with him. The QO was the only way to go with Thor and I am surprised someone else gave him more. But, I do think he has a strong year. I really wanted him back for us.
Exactly why are you engaging a-hole Yankee fans here?

yesrutgers01 nails it, "his non stop trolling", love it. He's so ignorant he doesn't realize his trollness. I counted 4 people he was having a meltdown with in one Yankee thread that started out as a good baseball read about baseball swings, yes I read the Yankee thread as every now and then they have decent threads that he then makes his own, unreadable, and talks down to several that don't see his "baseball knowledge", lol. He also fails to acknowledge I was responding to another Yankee troll in this thread who took his usual broken record shot at our last WS win, at which point this doofus decides he's The Cape Crusader of Steroid Free Yankee Baseball. Please go back to The Dead Zone and bitch slap your own since in your mind, you are loved and respected over there! LMFAO Shortbus!!!
Reposting for the learning impaired.Never said I don't read the DeadZone, said YOU make it unreadable. Clearly another example of why you rode the short bus to school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT