ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To clarify, your post has to do with whitebus, not me…
Yes 💯,Needed to prove in black and white print how he twists the truth to fit his argument. I can see that when I turn on cable news, I don't need to read it from that as$wipe.

Last edited:
Why Thor left: https://nypost.com/2021/11/17/mets-...F5iktkpn3kL2-vakiMr1nOrmsdBMzjng_HqXo3gUaAhV4

Noah Syndergaard began the free agency period with an $18.4 million qualifying offer in hand and New York in his heart.

His intention was not to leave the Mets.

But in the intermediate period between being given the qualifying offer on Nov. 7 and Wednesday’s 5 p.m. deadline to accept or reject, Syndergaard experienced radio silence from the only team for which he had ever played in the majors while other clubs began to woo him. No team more than the Angels.

Their general manager, Perry Minasian, insisted on a sit-down meeting and flew cross-country to have dinner last Friday night with Syndergaard. During that meal, Minasian put on a full-court press, explaining how the Angels envisioned deploying him, keeping him healthy and improving him.

The Mets are dangerous to themselves. The more things change, the most they stay the same. 😕

Why Thor left: https://nypost.com/2021/11/17/mets-...F5iktkpn3kL2-vakiMr1nOrmsdBMzjng_HqXo3gUaAhV4

The Mets are dangerous to themselves. The more things change, the most they stay the same. 😕
Well what that says to me is that the Mets were not all that excited about keeping him. They gave him the QO to secure the draft pick when he was signed by somebody else.

Remember, the Mets know far more about his physical condition than anyone else.

If I'm wrong, and the Mets really did want him, then I agree they blew it.

I would add that all stories have two sides. The Mets side of the story, which I have read elsewhere, is that he waited to advise them of his intentions until he was on the plane to LA. In other words, he did not want a counteroffer.

In these cases the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

If the Angels are so sure about Syndegaard why didn't they offer him a longer term deal? Interesting also that the article glossed right over the fact that his camp basically wanted to use the 18.4 he had on the table from the Mets as a fallback in case another team saw him as damaged goods and decided to pass.

If Thor was so confident in his condition, he would have passed on the Angles, had open sessions and signed a bigger deal after the QO deadline.

If the Angels are so sure about Syndegaard why didn't they offer him a longer term deal? Interesting also that the article glossed right over the fact that his camp basically wanted to use the 18.4 he had on the table from the Mets as a fallback in case another team saw him as damaged goods and decided to pass.
The Mets have plenty of holes to fill, but they have no one in place to lead the team. To me, it speaks volumes about how confusing and unorganized the Mets are in the Front office after a year to get people in place. The Mets are the last team I would approach if I'm a free agent. There is no vision, plan, or leadership. So how is it possible for some of you to pretend everything is okay?

IMO, this organization is starting to show signs of a nuclear sh*tshow with no end in sight. There is no sense of urgency from anyone in the organization. All I see is excuses for why someone would not want to come to NYC. The Mets are counting on the fact they are in NYC, and that's enough for players to sign with them. The bottom line is that the Mets are dysfunctional and will remain that way until someone decides enough is enough. The Mets don't have a plan to fill their front office needs or sign quality players. That is what I took away from the article.

Let's be honest. It would not be very reasonable to sign Thor to a long-term contract coming off of Tommy John surgery. No one who showed interest in Thor would give him more than a one-year deal.

Well what that says to me is that the Mets were not all that excited about keeping him. They gave him the QO to secure the draft pick when he was signed by somebody else.

Remember, the Mets know far more about his physical condition than anyone else.

If I'm wrong, and the Mets really did want him, then I agree they blew it.

I would add that all stories have two sides. The Mets side of the story, which I have read elsewhere, is that he waited to advise them of his intentions until he was on the plane to LA. In other words, he did not want a counteroffer.

In these cases the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.
The Mets may know more about his physical condition, but we saw how they screwed things up. Nimmo had to go outside of the organization to get an accurate diagnosis of his injury. Hell, we had conflicting reports on deGrom from the front office depending on who said it and when. And to me, this speaks about the leadership vacuum in the front office. Right now, I don't care about which player left the Mets. My concerns are about the lack of a hierarchy within the organization. No leadership, no team. That is what the article pointed out to me.

• Sad
Reactions: rurichdog
Well the 5:00 PM deadline for signing the QO has come and gone. So I guess Syndergaard has passed his Angels physical, and he too is gone.

To my knowledge the only player who signed his QO today was Brandon Belt. The speculation is that this may be just a placeholder, and it will be torn up in place of a multi-year deal.

Verlander staying with Houston, according to his brother, who should be a pretty good source. Reportedly 1 year at $25M, with a player option for a second year.

Last edited:
Despite the douchers of varsity chiming in, interesting perspective from LA Times near end of Eppler's tenure. Sounds like a difficult owner in Anaheim.

They are so pissed Cashman is still around after 12 years of the entitled fanbase going empty handed. 50% wanted both Cashman and Boone gone and the other 50% wanted either one of them gone, too friggin funny.

Last edited:
Even without the new GM and manager in place, not signing Thor was in my opinion a good move. I'd rather use that money on a couple of 4/5 guys to eat up innings until the smoke clears and we get management in place and bring up some of the few blue chip players we have. I've seen at least 3 this summer. Two innings pitched in 2 years isn't what I want. He doesn't help us on the DL only in GQ magazine.

Is it me or is deGrom better when HE’S not pitching 100 mph every pitch? In his two Cy Young years, he was dominant pitching in high 90s. Last year he got hurt throwing 100 every pitch like Syndergaard.

A lot of you are missing the point with Thor. It's not all about money as much as it is about engaging people on a human level. It's how college coaches gain the trust of recruits and have them commit to you. Right now the Mets are dysfunctional in almost everything they are doing now. We saw it with Wheeler. We saw it with the process of hiring front office personnel. People don't feel or connect with the Mets. The Mets are not giving strong enough reasons for people to say I want to be a part of this organization.

As much as the Angels suck, the GM has shown the ability to convince stars to sign with them. The same can be said about the Yankees and most teams. People right now don't know if the Mets are coming or going anywhere. This hurts me to say this because I have only cheered for the Mets since the day I was born.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
A lot of you are missing the point with Thor. It's not all about money as much as it is about engaging people on a human level. It's how college coaches gain the trust of recruits and have them commit to you. Right now the Mets are dysfunctional in almost everything they are doing now. We saw it with Wheeler. We saw it with the process of hiring front office personnel. People don't feel or connect with the Mets. The Mets are not giving strong enough reasons for people to say I want to be a part of this organization.

As much as the Angels suck, the GM has shown the ability to convince stars to sign with them. The same can be said about the Yankees and most teams. People right now don't know if the Mets are coming or going anywhere. This hurts me to say this because I have only cheered for the Mets since the day I was born.
I totally get that as a Mets fan since they're first season of 1962. Long suffering should be printed on the home and away uniforms.

Is it me or is deGrom better when HE’S not pitching 100 mph every pitch? In his two Cy Young years, he was dominant pitching in high 90s. Last year he got hurt throwing 100 every pitch like Syndergaard.
It's you.

His first third-to-half of last year was possibly the best a starting pitcher has pitched in the history of major league baseball. It was stunning. Now, whether that led to injury is a different question. But it's impossible to deny the incredible pitcher he was while throwing that way. He was btetter than he had ever been, which is saying something because the previous three years were Cy Young level.

And, before you simply conclude that throwing 98 is better than throwing 100, keep in mind that deGrom pitched well in the 2014-16 time frame. But he didn't throw as hard then, topping out at around 95, and he was nothing like the pitcheer he became thereafter. His velocity went up on everything from his fastball to his slider, and he went from good pitcher to 1968 Bob Gibson.

I will repeat my belief that the Mets intentionally ghosted Syndergaard because they did not want him to sign the QO. I think they were perfectly fine with taking the draft pick and saving the $18.4M to use elsewhere.

Can't argue with the rest of your post though.

Didn't he hit less than 200 this past year?
I'm not worried about that small sample with a young player with as sweet a swing as I've seen in awhile. Hopefully this frustration will reduce once the 2 years remaining of Cano's albatross contract are off the books.

Even without the new GM and manager in place, not signing Thor was in my opinion a good move. I'd rather use that money on a couple of 4/5 guys to eat up innings until the smoke clears and we get management in place and bring up some of the few blue chip players we have. I've seen at least 3 this summer. Two innings pitched in 2 years isn't what I want. He doesn't help us on the DL only in GQ magazine.
Same guy who was happy to see wheeler leave the other year too. How did that work for ya?

Same guy who was happy to see wheeler leave the other year too. How did that work for ya?
Geez, another Troll broke in, lol. So which 50% camp are you in, and be honest. The ones who wanted both Boone and Cashman gone or just one of your illustrious leaders? 😉

The 27th choice was the charm! :)
Which 50% camp are you in, I'll ask again, the ones that wanted both Boone and Cashman gone or the other 50% that wanted at least one? Grow some nads, and state your case. Yea, didn't think so. In other news I hear "10" is the loneliest number. 😁.

ANYTHING did you say? And BVW says "Hold my beer."

Seriously though, I don't think anybody's doing much of anything without a new CBA. See you in February.
Just joking. Some have made some moves but I bELieve we wait until new CBA. Now when that happens? Scary to think when

Today was the deadline for teams to set their rosters prior to the Rule 5 Draft. That Draft is scheduled for December 9, but probably won't happen then due to the impending CBA expiration. But when it is eventually held (assuming that it is) today's deadline will still apply.

The Mets protected four players, which brings their current roster total to 36. They are:

Ronny Mauricio (#3 prospect per MLB.com)
Mark Vientos (#6)
Jose Butto (#13)
Adam Oller (unranked).

Protecting Mauricio and Vientos was a no-brainer, and Butto was expected as well. Oller, a 27 year old late bloomer, was a mild surprise.

As is always the case, some prospects are left unprotected. The most surprising was #10 Carlos Cortes. Of course, the fact that mlb.com ranks him #10 doesn't mean that the Mets do.

In the Rule 5 Draft, the drafting team must keep the player on their active roster all year. So selections are fairly infrequent. We'll see if the Mets lose anyone. We might not see anytime soon though.

Today was the deadline for teams to set their rosters prior to the Rule 5 Draft. That Draft is scheduled for December 9, but probably won't happen then due to the impending CBA expiration. But when it is eventually held (assuming that it is) today's deadline will still apply.

The Mets protected four players, which brings their current roster total to 36. They are:

Ronny Mauricio (#3 prospect per MLB.com)
Mark Vientos (#6)
Jose Butto (#13)
Adam Oller (unranked).

Protecting Mauricio and Vientos was a no-brainer, and Butto was expected as well. Oller, a 27 year old late bloomer, was a mild surprise.

As is always the case, some prospects are left unprotected. The most surprising was #10 Carlos Cortes. Of course, the fact that mlb.com ranks him #10 doesn't mean that the Mets do.

In the Rule 5 Draft, the drafting team must keep the player on their active roster all year. So selections are fairly infrequent. We'll see if the Mets lose anyone. We might not see anytime soon though.
Are Baty; Allan; Alvarez; Ginn all protected or they don't need to be at this point in their careers? Thanks.

I dont know anything about Cortes but he had good offensive numbers at Binghamton last year

I'm sure I have nothing to worry about pertaining to Baty; ALlan etc but worrying is unfortunately in my DNA.

Are Baty; Allan; Alvarez; Ginn all protected or they don't need to be at this point in their careers? Thanks.

I dont know anything about Cortes but he had good offensive numbers at Binghamton last year

I'm sure I have nothing to worry about pertaining to Baty; ALlan etc but worrying is unfortunately in my DNA.
You are correct, none of the players you cited need to be protected on the 40 man roster yet. The rule is that if you are signed at age 19 or older, you must be protected within four seasons. Under 19, you must be protected within five seasons.

For example, Baty was drafted and signed in 2019 at age 19. He's been a Met for three seasons. He gets one more, and then must be protected at the end of 2022.

If any of the players you cite are promoted to the parent club next year, even for one day, then their clock expires and they must be protected.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
Meant to write “boy” not “but.” That said, I think it’s weak top to bottom. I like the catcher, Mauricio seems like another overrated middle infielder, and Baty’s OK. I know there are others, but the system is sparse on talent. It has been badly run for 3 or 4 years, and it shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT