ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, clearly I know of one on record is in the 50% camp of wanting both gone from the Varsity. I'm happy with the Mets giving us 2 new guys since the only way is up.

No thanks to Matz. They should be looking to sign both Gausman and Gray. At least one of them.

I am OK with Matz as long as we still sign another top tier pitcher

Just to be clear - a bunch of teams are in discussion with Matz. Meet the Matz is far from a done deal.

I don't think Matz' return to NY is in the best interest of either party. But my concurrence is not required.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Aaron Loup has parlayed his career year into a payday. With the Angels. Two years, $17M.

No thanks to Matz. They should be looking to sign both Gausman and Gray. At least one of them.
Gausman yes- Gray???? Why? - even if you try to give him credit for being stuck pitching at Coors field, his splits away from Coors are worse then they are at home.

Gausman yes- Gray???? Why? - even if you try to give him credit for being stuck pitching at Coors field, his splits away from Coors are worse then they are at home.

He would be a cheaper 5th option with immense upside. His HR rate in Citi would be limited so his numbers would look a lot better as the peripherals point to.

I fear Stroman pitched too well for them to try to bring him back. Can't have that nor that type of fire and competitiveness that he brings.
Yup. Sandy wants Robots out there doing HIS thing. Stroman’s ERA/K ratio is too low.

He would be a cheaper 5th option with immense upside. His HR rate in Citi would be limited so his numbers would look a lot better as the peripherals point to.
Maybe I am missing something but he has been horrible during his career on the road. I would take him as a 5th starter but more to be a fairly reliable guy but I wouldn’t break a bank over him.
Yup. Sandy wants Robots out there doing HIS thing. Stroman’s ERA/K ratio is too low.
Stro is a guy I would love to sign. I just don’t think Sandy(oh wait, he isn’t making baseball decisions) Sandy doesn’t like guys that break the mold.

Maybe I am missing something but he has been horrible during his career on the road. I would take him as a 5th starter but more to be a fairly reliable guy but I wouldn’t break a bank over him.

Stro is a guy I would love to sign. I just don’t think Sandy(oh wait, he isn’t making baseball decisions) Sandy doesn’t like guys that break the mold.

His advanced numbers are fine on the road and home. I think getting him out of Coors would be a benefit. He's always pitched better than his ERA looks so believe once he is out of Colorado he'd fit in nicely. He would be more of a back end SP for us with upside to be more. Think Walker's first half last year.

His advanced numbers are fine on the road and home. I think getting him out of Coors would be a benefit. He's always pitched better than his ERA looks so believe once he is out of Colorado he'd fit in nicely. He would be more of a back end SP for us with upside to be more. Think Walker's first half last year.
I am ok with that but my fear is what he will want $$$ - I assume he didn't get a QO?

Correct, Gray did not get a QO. I don't think anyone expects him to come close to $18.4M annually. But we've all been surprised before.
for me to be ok with him, he would need to be in a 3 year 21-28 mil type of contract.

I am pissed losing Loup. I know he cashed in well but that is what having a money owner like Cohen is for. That we can keep someone like him. And like Stroman or not- he proved he can pitch in NY- that is something we should also be willing to pay for. He is a true number two type of guy

Now- outside of FA's that may be out there- what cash strapped teams my be willing to part with a number 2 or 3 type guy in a trade?

Matz would be a disaster here…again. No thanks.
I am not horrified by Matz. He is a local kid that showed flashes and has some nasty lefty stuff. Maybe his year away, helped him.
There is a reason a lot of teams are giving him a hard look. I hear they are also looking long and hard at Gausman...I would be ok to add both but only if we also keep Stro. - Otherwise- get me a stud SP.

OH PUL-EEZE. This was a minor league depth signing. One of many made by every team.

If this turns out to be the one and only move that the Mets make to replace Loup, then you will have every right to bitch. I'll be right there with you. But until then, I respectfully suggest that you give your team a chance.

OH PUL-EEZE. This was a minor league depth signing. One of many made by every team.

If this turns out to be the one and only move that the Mets make to replace Loup, then you will have every right to bitch. I'll be right there with you. But until then, I respectfully suggest that you give your team a chance.
The irony of the situation is this is what the Mets got back from the Angels in recent days. Sure, we can wait and see what else develops. Mets are getting torched on Twitter by Angels fans. And Mets reporters/bloggers:

The irony of the situation is this is what the Mets got back from the Angels in recent days. Sure, we can wait and see what else develops. Mets are getting torched on Twitter by Angels fans

The Mets gave NOTHING to the Angels, and in turn got back nothing.

Noah Syndergaard and Aaron Loup were free agents. It is unclear how badly the Mets wanted either of them. My personal view is that the Mets intentionally ghosted Syndergaard because they were perfectly fine with taking the draft pick and saving the $18.4M for use elsewhere. I have no way of knowing that of course.

What is clear is that the Angels did want them, and were willing to pay (perhaps overpay, in the case of Syndergaard) to get them.

Jose Rodriguez was a minor league free agent who was last employed by the ATLANTA BRAVES. By coincidence, he had previously had a couple of cups of MLB coffee with the Angels.

BTW, the day that I care about what Angels fans are saying on Twitter, is the day that... well I guess I don't know what day that is, but it sure as fvck ain't today.

Reactions: Zak57
I may be in the minority but I’m not overly disappointed about losing Loup. He had a terrific year but I also think that the chances of Loup replicating last year was unlikely. Now Noah is a another story. 😩. I always looked at Noah as a true Met and it’s sad that Degrom is the lone SP carryover from that 2015 WS team. Maybe Matz will resign. We need SP.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving to everyone !

Reactions: Knight Shift
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT