ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hansel Robles just struck out the side against Varsity in the 8th. Did a double take when I heard his name on the broadcast.
Robles has had a very solid career. Not surprising he was used in a must win game.

What I found more surprising was Kevin Plawecki getting the start at C.

Love how this starts every year before the Yankees season is even over
jdrbw.jpg

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Tampa made that real tough this year.
Tampa’s budget is at least half of the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets, etc.

Tampa has no him fans that they’ll be playing half their games in Montreal soon.

Tampa always have new players every year but they always compete every year.

Tampa always get it done with no money, new players, in a division with two overpriced legendary organizations.

***(The idiots in Queens should’ve hired Tampa’s Chaim Bloom instead of that other idiot BVW few years ago… BTW, where did Bloom wind up?)

Hell, the Giants wasn’t even supposed to have a 500 record this year and they won 107 games over the Dodgers…

Win the division.

Reactions: Plum Street
I think I speak for all Mets fans when I say John Sterling should go into Baseballs Hall of Fame for announcers, if there is a Comedy Section.

Win the division and you won’t have to put up with these silly wildcard games.
That a catchy saying, but doesn’t address the unfairness of the playoff system. What if one countered that it is like a quota system not based on rewarding actual performance?

Not all things are equal, nor set up equal. (See for example, B1G East/West football).

The addition of the 2nd wild card team was for money making purposes to allow additional teams fans to be in a pennant race and one of them to be given an the opportunity to become the champion when the regular season ended.

That the Giants have to potentially play the Dodgers undermines any attempt it is based on a noble principle.

Mets and yabkees had same payroll this season.
So I guess your happy getting that extra game? Who makes more changes this off season across the board? Who under achieved more? Yankees were picked to win it all, the Mets weren't picked to even win their division.

Tampa’s budget is at least half of the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets, etc.

Tampa has no him fans that they’ll be playing half their games in Montreal soon.

Tampa always have new players every year but they always compete every year.

Tampa always get it done with no money, new players, in a division with two overpriced legendary organizations.

***(The idiots in Queens should’ve hired Tampa’s Chaim Bloom instead of that other idiot BVW few years ago… BTW, where did Bloom wind up?)

Hell, the Giants wasn’t even supposed to have a 500 record this year and they won 107 games over the Dodgers…

Win the division.
Is this a rhetorical question about where Bloom ended up? If not the Red Sox.

Fine but then why would the giants have to play the dodgers in the best of 5 when the Braves and brewers play each other.
How is that fair?
So- I am assuming you have been a sports fan for a while...This happens all sports almost all years. And it goes year to year. If they tried to just make two large leagues and top 4 get in, the end of the season would usually just suck. Bottom line- win your division during the year.
Same thing happens in life too. Play the hand you are given and figure out a way to come out on top.

So- I am assuming you have been a sports fan for a while...This happens all sports almost all years. And it goes year to year. If they tried to just make two large leagues and top 4 get in, the end of the season would usually just suck. Bottom line- win your division during the year.
Same thing happens in life too. Play the hand you are given and figure out a way to come out on top.
I'm guessing no one ever told this guy life isn't always fair. Buckle up butter cup.

Right and the SFG did win the division and they're still getting the shaft. They can keep it as is but once the playoff teams are set they should base everything on record not whether you won division or WC. That is the best way to do it.

Or you can have what the soccer leagues do to determine champions: Win the Regualr Season…

That’s it.

No second chance in a 8/ 16 team playoff. Win the division/ conference/ league during the regular season.

MLB’s current baseball playoffs is as close to perfection as possible: win the division or play the one game wildcard/ play in game to play the best team in the league. This 5th-8th Seed crap is a joke (and I’m sure you’ll get your wish as long as Manfred is around.

Is this a rhetorical question about where Bloom ended up? If not the Red Sox.
I’m just saying instead of hiring that BVW nimrod, the Mets should’ve hired Bloom. They would be in a better position organizational wise if he was there. IDK why people think there’s always a hidden agenda when people say their opinions based on facts?

I’m just saying instead of hiring that BVW nimrod, the Mets should’ve hired Bloom. They would be in a better position organizational wise if he was there. IDK why people think there’s always a hidden agenda when people say their opinions based on facts?

I agree we should have hired Bloom and have been saying as such since that time. You asked where he ended up though so wasn't sure if you really knew or wanted an answer.

Reactions: tico brown
I agree we should have hired Bloom and have been saying as such since that time. You asked where he ended up though so wasn't sure if you really knew or wanted an answer.
Fair enough. I’m just upset that I was right about Bloom rebuilding the Sox when they had no business being in the playoffs this year. Mets could’ve used him lol.

Right and the SFG did win the division and they're still getting the shaft. They can keep it as is but once the playoff teams are set they should base everything on record not whether you won division or WC. That is the best way to do it.
Again- it all changes from year to year. Go back just to 2019- the question could easily be asked why it was fair that Yankees had to face the Astros while Stl only had to play a wildcard team to make the WS...

It is what it is and it is the way the ball bounces. We have seen in all sports where teams with very good records may not even make the playoffs while another team wins their division, gets a bye and was barely over 500. Or just do it like basketball and make the entire season worthless. Half the teams are tanking the last 1/4 of the season just to get into the lottery.

Again- it all changes from year to year. Go back just to 2019- the question could easily be asked why it was fair that Yankees had to face the Astros while Stl only had to play a wildcard team to make the WS...

It is what it is and it is the way the ball bounces. We have seen in all sports where teams with very good records may not even make the playoffs while another team wins their division, gets a bye and was barely over 500. Or just do it like basketball and make the entire season worthless. Half the teams are tanking the last 1/4 of the season just to get into the lottery.

They're going to add more playoff teams so yes it is going to go that way anyways.

I've been saying the system as it is setup was always dumb. Always wanted seeding based on records not actual div winners/WC.

And this helps you enter another failed season by the Varsity? Hardly a franchise thought of as highly by the REST of baseball as it is by they're entitled fanbase, lmfao. 12 years and counting. San Fran has won it 3 times, and the Bosox twice since then. The New Core Four, what a joke. Happy off season, ours started one day earlier, oh the pain.

Fair enough. I’m just upset that I was right about Bloom rebuilding the Sox when they had no business being in the playoffs this year. Mets could’ve used him lol.
Water under the bridge. We can't change it so let's get these hires done correctly.

They're going to add more playoff teams so yes it is going to go that way anyways.

I've been saying the system as it is setup was always dumb. Always wanted seeding based on records not actual div winners/WC.
I hope it doesn't change much. I actually wish we went back to playing a schedule that was heavily weighted to playing in your own division more.

But truth is, with me...I am not going to get stuck in the past- if they make a change, I will have to embrace it and enjoy it or just be miserable.

Art Howe, Sandy Alderson, even Jed Lowrie lol.

Alderson won with the A's but they were a high payroll team at that point. What Beane has done since then with one of the lowest payrolls every year is just as incredible. We'd be lucky to have him come over here.

Lowrie is irrelevant. Beane didn't like Howe which is why he let the Mets hire him even though he was under contract.

The Oakland A's have won 85+ games 6 times since 2010, 94+ 4 times, the Mets over that same span 3 seasons 85+ wins, 94+ 0 times. That's with one of the lowest payrolls in baseball and an awful home ballpark.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Yeah Theo wants ownership so that was always really a no go. Wants to be a Jeter like with minority ownership and run the team. He's been leading a charge to get a team in Nashville.

Alderson won with the A's but they were a high payroll team at that point. What Beane has done since then with one of the lowest payrolls every year is just as incredible. We'd be lucky to have him come over here.

Lowrie is irrelevant. Beane didn't like Howe which is why he let the Mets hire him even though he was under contract.

The Oakland A's have won 85+ games 6 times since 2010, 94+ 4 times, the Mets over that same span 3 seasons 85+ wins, 94+ 0 times. That's with one of the lowest payrolls in baseball and an awful home ballpark.
Is there anyone from the Tampa front office available for hire this time around? Mets blew it last time by not hiring Bloom?

Don’t think the Brewers will let their guy David Stearns go to the Mets.

I guess the Mets don’t have a choice but to hire Beane.

Don’t think the Brewers will let their guy David Stearns go to the Mets.
Probably not, but they just might. The Brewers, like most teams, do not release the terms of their executive contracts. So nobody knows Stearns' contract situation for sure. I have seen reports that Stearns only has one year left. If he makes it clear that he wants to go to the Mets, and has no intention of re-signing with the Brewers, they may let him go - but would of course require compensation.

Probably a moot point, since Beane is reportedly Cohen's guy. More than that, he is Cohen's kind of guy - a maverick, innovator, and disrupter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT